Ict Ministry.....ugghh

kuanteen

I demand that the ICT Ministry quit all activities that block internet websites from view, especially proxy-providing websites. This is a blatant violation of free speech and other basic civil liberties enjoyed in various developed and civilised countries. No other country blocks the viewing of Internet content except China and other totalitarian or Communist regimes. Surely Thailand does not rank among the nations mentioned above.

Secondly, the proceedings by the ICT Ministry is very likely to be unconstitutional. There is no law which gives the ICT Ministry such widesweeping powers as to monitor what I may or may not see on the Internet. If there is, it is unconstitutional.

Thirdly, where can I demand the immediate halt of all illegal ICT Ministry actions?

Fourthly, the proper way to deal with legal violations through the internet is through courts and legislation. The Ministry must suggest legislation and act in courts. The ban of websites is illegal in very basic principles without the consent of a court.

I demand that the ICT Ministry quit all activities that block internet websites from view, especially proxy-providing websites. This is a blatant violation of free speech and other basic civil liberties enjoyed in various developed and civilised countries. No other country blocks the viewing of Internet content except China and other totalitarian or Communist regimes. Surely Thailand does not rank among the nations mentioned above.

Secondly, the proceedings by the ICT Ministry is very likely to be unconstitutional. There is no law which gives the ICT Ministry such widesweeping powers as to monitor what I may or may not see on the Internet. If there is, it is unconstitutional.

Thirdly, where can I demand the immediate halt of all illegal ICT Ministry actions?

Fourthly, the proper way to deal with legal violations through the internet is through courts and legislation. The Ministry must suggest legislation and act in courts. The ban of websites is illegal in very basic principles without the consent of a court.

maybe you should walk in to his office and tell him into his "face" :o

The ICT has had some good deeds to its credit. For one, it did push to get cheap broadband to the masses. Otherwise, you'd still be paying a couple thousand baht a month for *local* site access, with added hourly fees for *real* internet access. This was the common situation for quite some time until the ICT got TOT to start offering affordable broadband. Of course, the speeds are shockingly horrid and the service is severely lacking, but it's a start.

welcome in Thailand, but a couple of european and as well USA are all the time considering simillar things, but it is too difficult to controll in other countries.

Welcome to Thailand, this is their country and they will run it however they want to and they could care less what you think. They don't really block that many sites and the ones that they do block aren't worth seeing.

The ICT has had some good deeds to its credit. For one, it did push to get cheap broadband to the masses.

Broadband is cheap here and it is getting better and better as time goes on. Thailand has more then doubled the bandwidth going in and out of the country in the last year and they will probable double that again in the next year. That will mean better service.

Live with it it's their country.

Welcome to Thailand, this is their country and they will run it however they want to and they could care less what you think.  They don't really block that many sites and the ones that they do block aren't worth seeing.

Well, Saddam Husssein could have said about the same as you do in your first sentence ..... As a matter of fact, there are some kind of rules in the civilised world that countries should oblige to. Freedom of speech as well as freedom of information are among them.

Just a thought

Sunny

Well, Saddam Husssein could have said about the same as you do in your first sentence ..... As a matter of fact, there are some kind of rules in the civilised world that countries should oblige to. Freedom of speech as well as freedom of information are among them.

Just a thought

Sunny

Really don't think you can compare present day Thailand to Saddam Hessein run Iraq.

Just a thought

Sunny

Really don't think you can compare present day Thailand to Saddam Hessein run Iraq.

No way I have considered this as a full comparison; but censorship is a method used only by countries and governments not relating well to human rights. In this one specific field there is no difference; there is a lot of difference in other fields. You may go as far as saying that censorship is of no importance; well others might say the same for other fields of human rights.

Sunny

when discussing with Thai people, I always compare that with Birma, Kambodia, China, North Korea (in matter of censor internet).

This always has a nice impact and starts a nice discussion about the premier, which I don't want to descibe :o because worry that if I write about that the men in brown might visit me :D