Hotmail Is Now Censoring Your E-mail

astral

I just sent some photos, including a few swim suit shots to friends.

All the hotmail addresses returned the message with this error

The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 SC-001

Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons.

Most likely restricting certain file type attachments rather then content. They would be pretty busy looking at all the photos coming in to determine "acceptability" :o Possibly bandwidth or storage restrictions. On the mail server I manage I don't allow .zip, .exe and a few other extensions in for virus reasons. Try renaming the file from .jpg (or what ever it is) to .txt and see how it fairs.

//edit - usually the 550 is an SMTP error and means an attempt to use the server as a mail relay had occurred

"Specifically, the SMTP 550 error code is defined by RFC821 and states "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (e.g., mailbox not found, no access, or command rejected for policy reasons)"..

"Remote host said: 550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for

policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with

spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an

email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet"

That's usually the full message from Windows Live Hotmail.

From next month all ISP's in the UK have to save ALL the emails and your web browsing details for 1 year, by law.

Another good reason to use Gmail. Both the web and POP access are over encrypted connections, your (UK) ISP can't access it or save it. but I'd be suprised if hotmail wasn't the same in this day and age (haven't looked and don't want to).

Edited by Crushdepth

Hotmail is horrible, stopped using it 8 years ago. Much better ones out there

I'm not usually pro-M$ but in the case of Hotmail I think you will find it has improved a lot since 8 years ago. Besides, they are the only free tier-1 webmail provider who support SMS notification to Thailand. Yahoo supports SMS notification but USA only. Gmail is only considering (Glabs) SMS notification.

GMAIL!

And if you are willing to invest $20 a year you get in return a 17 GB mail account which is much safer (https) and reliable than this Microsoft crapmail...

Gmail allows attachments up 20MB and if you have larger files to send, use a free service like yousendit. Free up to 1GB

Edited by webfact

Most likely restricting certain file type attachments rather then content.

Somehow they can manage content..........

Other images to these addresses get through.

I have experienced the same problem with a business e-mail server in London.

I have tried zip, but not the passworded rar.

The latter is too much hassle for normal e-mail... :o

I'm not usually pro-M$ but in the case of Hotmail I think you will find it has improved a lot since 8 years ago. Besides, they are the only free tier-1 webmail provider who support SMS notification to Thailand. Yahoo supports SMS notification but USA only. Gmail is only considering (Glabs) SMS notification.

Can you elaborate on this issue for me, are you saying you can text via hotmail???

Can you elaborate on this issue for me, are you saying you can text via hotmail???

That too, thought thats possible from a lot of other providers. The interesting bit is you can (selectively) decide to receive an SMS when you receive mail. See Hotmail > More > Mobile.

That too, thought thats possible from a lot of other providers. The interesting bit is you can (selectively) decide to receive an SMS when you receive mail. See Hotmail > More > Mobile.

Cheers I'll take a look at that, I take it the text are free?

Cheers I'll take a look at that, I take it the text are free?

Sending them is free, receiving cost a few baht depending on the plan you have with your telco.