Bringing Personal Belongings To Thailand

bluesmith

Hi All

Can some one help on this one. We may be returning home to Thailand in the comming months and I believe the laws on bring personal belongings are as so If I have a valid work permit I can bring my gear with me. And as I understand my wife a Thai national can bring back personal goods one of each TV ,Stero,etc If she has been out of the country for 12 months or more. Dose any body know the laws if you are married with family what can be brought in. I am thinking about bringing a BBQ and a few other things back.

Blue

So those arriving in LOS with a 30day stamp at the airport would not be able to use any cargo service to send heavy bags ahead of them (about 40-50kgs), as they wouldn't be 'allowed' to pick any goods up from the customs/airport section?

They would be allowed to pick up goods, but can expect to pay duties over it.

Interesting!

Especially the link from Mario2008.

Nonresidents: Nonresidents may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the requirements listed below:
  1. Nonresidents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Nonresident Identification Card

I was under the impression that only people with either:

a) A work permit.

Or

A Retirement residency VISA could do that.

I have an annual Non-Residency "O" Multi Entry VISA and have had for the past few years.

Does that make me eligible?

:o

Edited by Yaaklenmai

I have an annual Non-Residency "O" Multi Entry VISA and have had for the past few years.

A retiree doesn't qualify.

As to your question: No. First you have to be on an anual extension of stay. It says it what cryptical on the website, but it clearly states from immigration. Second you can only do this during your first extension of stay.

A retiree doesn't qualify.

As to your question: No. First you have to be on an anual extension of stay. It says it what cryptical on the website, but it clearly states from immigration. Second you can only do this during your first extension of stay.

Before I came to LOS I contacted the worldwide HQ of Thai customs (would you believe that it is in Belgium) and asked the question about bringing possessions to Thailand and was told, in no uncertain terms, that I would only be allowed to ship used possessions, without duty, if I held (either) a work permit or a retirement Visa (a normal category "O" would not qualify) and that NO exceptions would be made!

It would, also, be interesting to see how the Thai authorities would define "an extension of stay" as I would expect a new annual visa to not be considered as such.

Still, as we all know the LOS has an ever changing outlook (dependent upon the official)!

:D

Edited by Yaaklenmai

An extension of stay is when you go to immigration in Thailand and get permission to stay for one (more) year. For that you have to qualify under stricter rules then apply to getting a visa.

As for retirement, that story is interesting. Read what the costum site says:

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

meaning they don't qualify for duty free import. But this only applies to people on a non-O based on retirement. So maybe not for people on a non-O-A visa. They might be able to import duty free. I think the Thai text should give a more definate answer, as the English text is a bit confusing.

Best bit of advice is to definitely and absolutely make sure all items are imported in your wife's name. A farang name can be a big red flag at customs work permit or not.

They very rarely go through the entire list to check if there is "one" of any given item, but from experience in my company, people shipping in a foreign name regularly get the run around, those with a Thai wife, so far never.