The New Central Shopping Complex Is A Waste Of Space

jellymeister

Farang Rule # 1006592:

Never attempt to request a substitution or variation from what is offered on the menu.

Such requests are doomed to failure or disaster. Fluency in Thai will not help. It is just not the done thing here.

I find this rule to be false; I'm always asking for variations to dishes, such as no mushrooms or tomatoes, or substituting pork for chicken or beef. I even make it habit to request dishes that are not on the menu. They always meet my polite requests without question. On the flip side however, If you ask for something special, it will apply to everyone else with you. A friend of mine likes ice with his beer, and whenever he asks for it, I always get a glass with ice as well.

It may depend on the kind of restaurant. Sure at a small Mom and Pop place you don't even have to look at a menu, just order a Thai dish you want and they can usually make it, on the menu or not. I often order a large size phad krapow, no option on the menu and they never say no. However, at a big corporate chain where they probably have an assembly line accounting system for everything including reorders, they are not set up for kind of substitution I asked for. Realizing that, I asked about it before entering.

True. Case in point, Fuji. Fuji is not known for its flexibility. I have to pull teeth just to get a small plate of extra hot mustard to go with my gyoza.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they had used their brains,IMHO,they would have put foot bridges over the Beach and Second roads.

Footbridges would just become an expensive eyesore and no one would use them. Lucky they were using their brains and didn't bother. :o

In Pattaya, one of the big pains in the butt is crossing Beach and Second roads. In Pattaya retail, a huge problem is getting folks in to your premises. Why would foot bridges not mitigate such problems?

No, requires effort to climb stairs, causes sweating and requires effort - escalators not financially viable, swinging rope from top of building to beach may be dooable

If they had used their brains,IMHO,they would have put foot bridges over the Beach and Second roads.

Footbridges would just become an expensive eyesore and no one would use them. Lucky they were using their brains and didn't bother. :o

In Pattaya, one of the big pains in the butt is crossing Beach and Second roads. In Pattaya retail, a huge problem is getting folks in to your premises. Why would foot bridges not mitigate such problems?

Quite obviously, footbridges would not benefit the new mall. Most of the business there does not come from a small beachfront area or the area on the opposite side of 2nd Road.

That's appart from the fact that people would rather cross the road than walk over a foot bridge. Unless you gate off the entire road and force people onto a foot bridge, hardly anyone would use it.

I've been saying for years that it would be great if Pattaya had a Central Department store and Asia books. As for food, Carrefour, Foodland, Friendship, etc are fine but we still had to make the occasional shopping trip to Bangkok for some of the imported luxuries we wanted sometimes, and this new food supermarket is just about as good as it gets. It's all here now. I love it!

If you don't like it, don't go. What could be simpler? There are a lot of things in Pattaya that don't appeal to me - all you can eat for 99 baht, for example - I don't spend my time slagging them off. Some people like that sort of thing, other people like other things. I'd have thought that there would be room for everyone. And the bottom line is, if you don't like the city, then don't live here. I don't recall anyone forcing me to come here or to stay on. Take it or leave it. But it's kinda strange to live in a place and complain that you don't like it.

• 1 month later...

Have observed it myself and think that while it's a perfectly good mall, it just does not belong there.

While the fast food and other restaurants seem busy, most of the shops are lacking that one vital ingredient- customers.

I'm sure that most Pattaya businesses can weather the low season, as they always do, but high rent places like those in the mall must require a constant income, and that is not happening. In any event, is there the demand for 50 more clothes shops in a town already flooded with them.

At least it does not seem to be affecting the traffic, which is, as usual, awful.

Incidentally, the cinema is 20 bht cheaper than Avenues.

No problem getting a seat. 8.30 pm show last night had about 10 people in a huge auditorium ( though that is better than what Avenues is managing ).

By the way, it's perfectly possible to like a place, but dislike an aspect of it, and why should one not complain about that?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I've been saying for years that it would be great if Pattaya had a Central Department store and Asia books.

Asia Books, Bookazine and Book Corner are all owned by the same people and have the same books. Pattaya has had "Asia Books" for years. :o

For a tourist resort theyd have been better off with something a little more fun in the centre of town.

A waterpark, funpark etc....

I dont know but shopping just isnt fun for families or anyone coming on holiday, especially as clothes they sell there are more expensive then back home.

For me, as a resident in Pattaya, it's a welcome addition to the retail scene here. Gives consumers like me more choices/variety and products that were not available here before.

Although I suspect the often courted (but seldom seen in Pattaya) high-end tourist may still not come in droves onto our litter strewn shores with murky waters just because this town finally has a credible shopping mall. Maybe they are expecting fewer retirees who only budgeted for beer and barfines to settle here in future and more of the middle to up-market expats?

And business being what it is, that is market-driven, it will be interesting too see if the shops and products will eventually "dumb down" to the purchasing power of the type of tourists/expats that actually come here. As in The Avenue's empty shop lots, tenant turnover since opening and the vast difference in standards between Orangery BKK and the poorer branch here.

anyone else agree/disgree...interested if anyone can point out some redeeming features I may have overlooked, but I think

-lousy design...too much walking distances like suvarnbhumi

-lousy slection of shops

-escalators are inconvenient..the old scam of making you walk the long way around rather than being able to go straight up

-the food section down stairs seems unuseful..I mean how many bottles of designer salad dressing can one go through in a month...

-to get to the cinemas is a major expedition

On the whole much prefer tescos, big c royal garden, the avenue, or even central bang na

much more user friendly.....

What a moaning fusspot!

I've been there and love the place. Modern feel and not too lame either. Cinema is pretty decent too. :o

Either get fit or don't go, simple as really :D

hey you tempestuous teapot....if you had read all posts, you would have seen that I later posted a few positive comments as well....

I would be interested to know what you have spent there other than on fastfood and cinemas though?

anyone else agree/disgree...interested if anyone can point out some redeeming features I may have overlooked, but I think

-lousy design...too much walking distances like suvarnbhumi

-lousy slection of shops

-escalators are inconvenient..the old scam of making you walk the long way around rather than being able to go straight up

-the food section down stairs seems unuseful..I mean how many bottles of designer salad dressing can one go through in a month...

-to get to the cinemas is a major expedition

On the whole much prefer tescos, big c royal garden, the avenue, or even central bang na

much more user friendly.....

What a moaning fusspot!

I've been there and love the place. Modern feel and not too lame either. Cinema is pretty decent too. :o

Either get fit or don't go, simple as really :D

i must say i would prefere to have the mall than not have it.but to be honest i really cannot see the shops making a profit ,even if the Thai hisos come here why bother buying anything and carrying it back to BKK,when they can get it there,i do think the food courts and most restaurants will survive as they are ,but the rest/ good to look and then off somewhere else to buy it at half the price.

Bangkok Thai hisos cannot resist a luxury mall and gives them a new excuse to travel to Sin City.

And don't forget the catchment area that comprises Ban Chang and Rayong with their potential Thai and Farang customers that now don't have to travel all the way to Sri Racha or Bangkok.

We are not mall rats ourselves, but we love the new Mall :-). It's about time Pattaya has something grand like this Mall - Easy Parking, people friendly with lot's of Escalators and elevators, clean and modern, you can walk around without getting your clothes soaked in your own sweat like that other place accross the street whatever the name is :-)

As a resident, I too appreciate having a nice modern air-con mall to visit on occasion. Like most posters here, I just wonder how long all the clothing stores on the first couple floors will survive. The restos and service businesses will likely do okay as people always need to ear...but who needs Ed Hardy or Chaps stuff in these recessionary times or anytime? I have bought several pieces of clothes (local brand jeans, shirts, underwear) at Central and appreciate their selection. Times being what they are, most stuff is 20-30% off whenever I have been in there.

I was in there last nite for a stroll and the place was dead. Same for Royal Garden. I know it's low season but I wonder how any of these merchants are surviving.

Poor Avenue get sadder by the day but most predicted this from the day it opened due to it's bad design. Even the Villa Market has gone down-market and removed many of the fresh food offerings. It's also so depressing to see all the shops that have closed at the entrance to Villa. Pattaya itself was a pretty depressing place to walk around last nite...few people and little feeling of sanook.

I was in Central at the weekend and it seemed quite busy. I think it's doing well (compared to places like the Avenue!) however, the clothes shops are still empty.. Will be interesting to see how long they last!

Although, with items at those prices, I suppose they could still stay open even if selling a couple of items a day, because their prices are already sky high.

I was in Central at the weekend and it seemed quite busy. I think it's doing well (compared to places like the Avenue!) however, the clothes shops are still empty.. Will be interesting to see how long they last!

Although, with items at those prices, I suppose they could still stay open even if selling a couple of items a day, because their prices are already sky high.

They could always try a 1 for the price of 2 sale....................that'd represent about a 50% reduction in what they charge now! :)

Went to Central today to buy a new camera.. Was looking forward to using my '1 Card' and getting 5% off in Power Buy. After all, there IS the 'Power Buy' logo on the back of the card, and they do advertise with a big cardboard cut-out at their door.. In I go, decided on which camera I wished to purchase.. I then asked the sales guy to confirm that they accept the '1 Card' . But no.. they would not accept my '1 Card' in Power Buy. I pointed out their logo on the back of the card, but the sales guy said I can't use it for brand named items (I was buying a Canon Camera)...

I just wanted to warn people looking to use their '1 Card' in Power Buy that they probably won't accept your card... I wish I'd have known it earlier because I wasted a lot of time in there.. I went to one of the smaller camera shops opposite Power Buy (A dark looking shop) who were offering 1,000 baht discount and lots of free gifts with my purchase.

Power Buy just lost a 26,000 baht sale for not accepting a card they advertise that they accept. Shame on them, I'll took my cash elsewhere :D:)

• 3 weeks later...
Where is The New Central Shopping Complex in relation to Mike's Mall (the one across the street from Diana Inn and Kiss restaurant)? Are they doing any business nowdays?

Is this a joke...I thought you lived in Patters?

It's just down the road from Mikes at Soi 9...but it's easy to miss...it only takes up the entire block from Beach Road to Second :)

Power Buy just lost a 26,000 baht sale for not accepting a card they advertise that they accept. Shame on them, I'll took my cash elsewhere :D:)

We can look forward to a brand new portfolio then? :D You should be able to take some dandy photos with a 26,000 baht camera.

Wife and I made the jaunt up the road from Banchang to the "new" mall yesterday. We came in to see the new Star Trek movie. We arrived at the mall entrance at 1130 or so and drove right in and up to parking level 3.5 and plenty of parking. Went in via a Central Department store entrance and up to the Cinema levels. The mall is very impressive. The parking garage is easy in and out. We walked a bit before the movie and then afterwards toured all the level before succumbing to thirst and hunger. The upper floors seem to have all the restaurants and the lower level the food court and grocery store. In between the abundance of shopping. I am not a shopper in this environment so I can't comment on the quailty or prices. We did stop in to the dept. store and looked at coffee grinders and the store had a nice selection for what I thought were fair prices.

The food on the upper levels seems a bit heavy on the Japanese stuff and I really wanted to try the MOS burger place but my wife is not a burger person.

We never went out to the beach side so no comments there. The place is a nice big expensive mall. It will have a place in Pattaya if it keeps growing. Upscale is not all bad. It won't be a regular stop but I enjoyed the cinema. Star Trek is worth the 150 baht per ticket to see in a nice new theatre with a good sound system. I am a Trek fan since the old TV series first started and I enjoyed this version of the beginnings.

Live Long and Prosper-----Cupcake

Is this a joke...I thought you lived in Patters?

I live in Chiang Mai, but visit Pattaya as often as possible. :D

Oh...sorry...well, please hurry down and see our Central and compare it to yours out by the airport...ours is on the beach. Spend some money here and keep the economy of our little metropolis going :)