Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

Yes I have to agree with you... I think most people understand that the Thai culture revolves around respect. A simple smile smile and a bow will get you a long way in thailand. Some of these arrogant tourists should learn a little about other cultures before travelling...

Did he swear at the woman who told him his nations passport standards are even lower than cambodias and laos - in a country that revolves around respect?

'a simple bow will get you a long way' you say - so you must show your subservience to them to boost their insecurities in order to get by or its off to prison?

Respect is a two way street - the imig peoples comments have shown that lack it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the imig officials

studied the passport (which was ok for the officials letting him into the country and into Phuket) for more than 30 mins making a passenger miss his plane.

won't let anyone check the photo that was issued by a respected international authority

have recorded evidence but you cant chack that either

wont let you check the state of the prison cause its very dangerous

insulted britain, cambodia and laos

plan to keep the guy in prison for another 7 weeks before hearing a non existing case

& this is the countrys premier holiday location during an economic crisis when tourists numbers are down.

Hahahahahahhahahahhahah - this is a wind up right!

Checked the passport for 30 minutes according to mr. Burrowes.

He is not in prison at the moment.

I am not sure it was the same official that examined the passport and talked about Britain, Cambodia and Laos, and everybody calling those words 'insults' is greatly exaggerating IMO.

For an international flight I am always at the airport 2 hours before flight departure, and after check in have almost those 2 hours available. So half an hour delay would be irritating but not causing me to miss the plane. He planned things really, really tight IMO, which would also explain his irritation.

The question remains: why was he in jail for 3 weeks, did he nor anybody else attempt to get him out? Should have been easy. I am also wondering what happened to his friend. Travelling with a friend I would wait directly after the check, and not go to the plane on my own.

Keep "Jai Yen" at all times, especially when dealing with officials.

exactly...haven't you guys learned anything while living here? you play along and we're all happy...so suck it in and think positive!

Yes I have to agree with you... I think most people understand that the Thai culture revolves around respect.

Exactly, people don't get that by detaining Simon in jail for three weeks and threatening 2 years of detainment, the Thais are simply bestowing respect on Simon the Thai way.

So, the imig officials

studied the passport (which was ok for the officials letting him into the country and into Phuket) for more than 30 mins making a passenger miss his plane.

won't let anyone check the photo that was issued by a respected international authority

have recorded evidence but you cant chack that either

wont let you check the state of the prison cause its very dangerous

insulted britain, cambodia and laos

plan to keep the guy in prison for another 7 weeks before hearing a non existing case

& this is the countrys premier holiday location during an economic crisis when tourists numbers are down.

Hahahahahahhahahahhahah - this is a wind up right!

Checked the passport for 30 minutes according to mr. Burrowes.

He is not in prison at the moment.

I am not sure it was the same official that examined the passport and talked about Britain, Cambodia and Laos, and everybody calling those words 'insults' is greatly exaggerating IMO.

For an international flight I am always at the airport 2 hours before flight departure, and after check in have almost those 2 hours available. So half an hour delay would be irritating but not causing me to miss the plane. He planned things really, really tight IMO, which would also explain his irritation.

The question remains: why was he in jail for 3 weeks, did he nor anybody else attempt to get him out? Should have been easy. I am also wondering what happened to his friend. Travelling with a friend I would wait directly after the check, and not go to the plane on my own.

None of your points say anything at all. - other than the out of prison bit that i didn't realise - so thanks.

& if I said to a Thai that they're *anything* is even worse than cambodia and laos they wouldn't think it an insult? Please.

Keep "Jai Yen" at all times, especially when dealing with officials.

exactly...haven't you guys learned anything while living here? you play along and we're all happy...so suck it in and think positive!

'play along and we're all happy' another joke. it's do as i tell you or else - an insecure persons power play.

Why do some of you just make excuses for this shoking behaviour?

None of your points say anything at all.
I am just pointing out some things in your post that are not true. So if these 'inconsistencies' don't mean anything, why did you mention these points in the first place?

I don't mind a discussion, but a discussion should be held with valid and argumented points, not with made up things or 'I don't agree with you so you're a bastard' kind of arguments.

IMO the punishment is very harsh already, but that is the punishment in the country I'm living in. Don't like the law in the country you're living in? Try to change it, accept it or leave the country, just moaning about it here on a (mainly) foreigners forum won't do any good at all. But if it makes you feel better ...

If they faced abuse or threatening behavior, the person involved could be arrested and face a charge, with a one-year jail term as the maximum penalty.

that are now quoting the Max penalty is 1 year in Jail and not 2 years as reported before?

I have a question for you Brits: Is there no dress code in the UK for passport photos? I find it absolutely incredible that they would accept a shirtless photo for a passport application.

General photo requirements

* Eyes must be open and clearly visible, with no flash reflections and no “red eye”

* Facial expression must be neutral (not frowning nor smiling) with the mouth closed

* Photos must show both edges of the face clearly

* Photos must show a full front view of face and shoulders, squared to the camera

* Photos must not show the subject looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or with head tilted to one side or backwards or forwards

* The face and shoulder image must be centered in the photo

* There must be no hair across the eyes

* Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tone

* Photos must be clear, sharp and in focus

* Photos with shadows on the face or background are unacceptable

* Photos must be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflection on the face and head

* Photos must show a plain, uniform, light grey or cream background. 5 – 10% grey is recommended as a background.

* Hats or head coverings are not permitted except when worn for religious reasons and only if the full facial features are clearly visible

* Black and white photos are not acceptable

* Where very young children are being supported, the hands if visible must not be above the shoulder

* Photos must not be manipulated, for example, by removing spots or softening lines, shadows, etc

Thank you for posting and so to answer tropo's question, apparently the man could comply with all 16 requirements and still not wear a shirt.

Yes, thanks for that.

It's amazing! They go into such fine detail about what is acceptable yet have no clothing requirements.

Edited by tropo

I am just pointing out some things in your post that are not true. So if these 'inconsistencies' don't mean anything, why did you mention these points in the first place?

I don't mind a discussion, but a discussion should be held with valid and argumented points, not with made up things or 'I don't agree with you so you're a bastard' kind of arguments.

IMO the punishment is very harsh already, but that is the punishment in the country I'm living in. Don't like the law in the country you're living in? Try to change it, accept it or leave the country, just moaning about it here on a (mainly) foreigners forum won't do any good at all. But if it makes you feel better ...

Your first paragraph is silly and again based ojn nothing - is your name "JDinAisa' or 'Plus'? There are no problems with the law here - there are problems with the people implementing it. Imig officials, police, politicans etc - look at that PAD guy shouting how he would bath in the blood of the cambodians - and then a week or 2 later they promoted him to a government minister! Is this an example of your country based on respect. Again your email defers from the point. You said this place is based on respect, i'm saying that's a bad joke and the imig officials comments very clearly indicate that. Well, I do believe that we can agree - Thailand is based on respect but its not mutual its one way - you must respect them - they do not have to respect you. There never had to be a problem here - if the guy was stupidly rude then slap his wrists and send him on his way - ban him if you must but they didnt do that they let there crazy ego loose and the tourist thus suffered wrongly.

Edited by RayongRay

Yes I have to agree with you... I think most people understand that the Thai culture revolves around respect. A simple smile smile and a bow will get you a long way in thailand. Some of these arrogant tourists should learn a little about other cultures before travelling...

Did he swear at the woman who told him his nations passport standards are even lower than cambodias and laos - in a country that revolves around respect?

'a simple bow will get you a long way' you say - so you must show your subservience to them to boost their insecurities in order to get by or its off to prison?

Respect is a two way street - the imig peoples comments have shown that lack it.

I guess you don't rely understand the thai people or the culture. Thais will treat you with great respect if you treat them the same way. I have been living in thailand for near on 3 years and come and go on a monthly basis through immigration always found them polite and respectful. I feel this arrogant guy has jacked them up a great deal from the start. If you want to see rude arrogant immigration officials go to Australia the thais are sweet angels compared to those in aussie land

I guess you don't rely understand the thai people or the culture. Thais will treat you with great respect if you treat them the same way. I have been living in thailand for near on 3 years and come and go on a monthly basis through immigration always found them polite and respectful. I feel this arrogant guy has jacked them up a great deal from the start. If you want to see rude arrogant immigration officials go to Australia the thais are sweet angels compared to those in aussie land

I've lived here a lot longer than 3 years - please do not throw your silly lines at me! You may not agree with my opinion but please no not tell me what i do and do not understand - 3 years and coming and going on a monthly visa you clearly dont know so very much yourself.

Nobody is saying that this guy was sensible, but he is a stupid tourist that is suffering because of the egos of an imig official - common sense and thailand suffers most.

Britain is an immigrant society, the population of the UK would be falling if not for immigrants, approx 200.000 people migrate out of the UK every year, and that's nothing new.

Between 1850 and 1880, 6 million people migrated from the UK out of a population that did not exceed 26 million.

A very large percentage of UK citizens are descendants of immigrants, London is the most cosmopolitan city in the world.

Yes I am fully aware of this, and I know Britain is better off for being this way, and so do most of people that live here.

don't get so full of yourself (your self-aggrandized being oppressed) because you're a black Brit. You've probably had a whole lot of advantages handed your way - as mentioned in your further rant below.....

Whether you know what you (do you lump yourself together with the ruling class?) were thinking or not, the fact remains that Brit authorities have enacted liberal guidelines making Britain one of the most open societies in the world - along with the US. For better of for worse (indeed it's a great big mixed bag) - Britain moves forward. I'm an American, yet resided on your island for a few years. Not a bad place. In many ways a shining beacon for other countries. Couldn't get used to marmite sandwiches with tea, though.

I'm a black Brit? Well thank you for pointing that out for me, I never realised. I think people look at my avatar and think that is what I look like. Wrong.

What I was saying in my post is that the people like jingthing and somebody else, who posted before my post, spoke as if all Brits hate immigrants. The fact is those that have even the slightest intelligence advantage over a potato would realise that the immigrants aren't the problem, far from it. Britains society is one of the best societies I have lived in. We are only really divided by social status, but that is not really a divide it's a choice. "race" generally dosen't come into it.

My standing on this topic is that the guy shouldn't be locked up, even if he had called the official all of the bad words under the sun. If I was in the officials shoes and someone got a bit irate and started calling me names, yes I would have him detained, only until I checked the passport properly and he cooled down, then I would let him go on his way. That is because I could understand why he was angry, he had a flight, he could miss it. I'd be angry too. If an official can't take, or expect to take abuse, he is in the wrong job.

Your first paragraph is silly and again based ojn nothing
My first paragraph is based on the 'inconsistencies' you wrote in an earlier post.
Again your email defers from the point. You said this place is based on respect,
I have said no such thing. What is the point of having a discussion if you if you make up things?
There are no problems with the law here - there are problems with the people implementing it.
So if you agree with the law, and therefor with the possible penalties, what is your point?
There never had to be a problem here - if the guy was stupidly rude then slap his wrists and send him on his way - ban him if you must but they didnt do that they let there crazy ego loose
That is in contradiction with your earlier point that there are no problems with the law here.

What I was saying in my post is that the people like jingthing and somebody else, who posted before my post, spoke as if all Brits hate immigrants.

No, I did not say that. What I meant was that it does seem as the most of the more virulent lynch mob against the unfortunate Brit here on this board appear indeed to ALSO BE BRITS!

No, I did not say that. What I meant was that it does seem as the most of the more virulent lynch mob against the unfortunate Brit here on this board appear indeed to ALSO BE BRITS!

Fair enough, so basically you are saying that all Brits should stand up for another Brit who may, or may not be in the wrong, just because they are from the same place? Us Brits aren't governed by one big hive mind, we can have different opinions.

Then again, you may be right jingthing, it would explain how we got Gary Glitter back. 5555

Your first paragraph is silly and again based ojn nothing
My first paragraph is based on the 'inconsistencies' you wrote in an earlier post.
Again your email defers from the point. You said this place is based on respect,
I have said no such thing. What is the point of having a discussion if you if you make up things?
There are no problems with the law here - there are problems with the people implementing it.
So if you agree with the law, and therefor with the possible penalties, what is your point?
There never had to be a problem here - if the guy was stupidly rude then slap his wrists and send him on his way - ban him if you must but they didnt do that they let there crazy ego loose
That is in contradiction with your earlier point that there are no problems with the law here.

Sorry, the 'respect' comment was from Marsteele, i got my wires crossed. Talking about the law i am saying that thai laws mostly copy british ones and are fine - implementation is the probem. I'll make it simple - in this case the law has been implemented very heavy handedly whereas we see all day evry day the police and others ignoring the law. We know that in thai society the law is meated out in different ways to different layers of society. A black foreigner is at an even lower layer than even cambodians or laos,, with a bit of artistic license my point is solid.

thanks and goodnite, i'm off for a guiness and some pogues.

Fair enough, so basically you are saying that all Brits should stand up for another Brit who may, or may not be in the wrong, just because they are from the same place?

No! Not saying that either. Sorry for you to live in your black and white world (no racial meaning intended).

Edited by Jingthing

No! Not saying that either. Sorry for you to live in your black and white world (no racial meaning intended).

Yes it is a conspiracy, maybe you can give me the red pill and I can escape the matrix.

All tom-foolery aside, what do you mean, or mean to say because it seems regardless of what it is, we still have the same opinion that this guy shouldn't be locked up?

Your first paragraph is silly and again based ojn nothing - is your name "JDinAisa' or 'Plus'?

and you've sorted out various thaivisa member's posting styles after being a member yourself for a little over an hour? :o

RayongRay

sorry, but it's nonsense like this that accounts for this being my 2nd to last post before resigning from the forum.

All tom-foolery aside, what do you mean, or mean to say because it seems regardless of what it is, we still have the same opinion that this guy shouldn't be locked up?

Again, no. I just think it is INTERESTING that the most VIRULENT of the anti-Simon posters appear to also be British. So among this subset of Brits, I SUSPECT that RACISM and anti-immigrant hostility MAY be a factor in this INTERESTING coincidence. Don't bother with a follow up question, this is tedious. Thats all I want to say on the matter for eternity.

Edited by Jingthing

Again, no. I just think it is INTERESTING that the most VIRULENT of the anti-Simon posters appear to also be British. So among this subset of Brits, I SUSPECT that RACISM and anti-immigrant hostility MAY be a factor in this INTERESTING coincidence. Don't bother with a follow up question, this is tedious. Thats all I want to say on the matter for eternity.

Well I do apologise for getting your giblets in a twist. Just one thing, which i'm sure you are already aware, all black men aren't immigrants. I think you are looking for something that is just not there.

Your first paragraph is silly and again based ojn nothing - is your name "JDinAisa' or 'Plus'?

and you've sorted out various thaivisa member's posting styles after being a member yourself for a little over an hour? :o

RayongRay

sorry, but it's nonsense like this that accounts for this being my 2nd to last post before resigning from the forum.

Its possible to read TV posts without being a member.

I think he deserves to be locked up,

Then at some point for something you have done you also deserve to be locked up, because this seems to be way out of proportion comparable to jail time.

So what if he was rude, or snatchy, or even if he insulted Thailand, he was leaving and he was right by the looks of it.

He's done more than enough jail time already to cover that.

I have a question for you Brits: Is there no dress code in the UK for passport photos? I find it absolutely incredible that they would accept a shirtless photo for a passport application.

General photo requirements

* Eyes must be open and clearly visible, with no flash reflections and no "red eye"

* Facial expression must be neutral (not frowning nor smiling) with the mouth closed

* Photos must show both edges of the face clearly

* Photos must show a full front view of face and shoulders, squared to the camera

* Photos must not show the subject looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or with head tilted to one side or backwards or forwards

* The face and shoulder image must be centered in the photo

* There must be no hair across the eyes

* Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tone

* Photos must be clear, sharp and in focus

* Photos with shadows on the face or background are unacceptable

* Photos must be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflection on the face and head

* Photos must show a plain, uniform, light grey or cream background. 5 – 10% grey is recommended as a background.

* Hats or head coverings are not permitted except when worn for religious reasons and only if the full facial features are clearly visible

* Black and white photos are not acceptable

* Where very young children are being supported, the hands if visible must not be above the shoulder

* Photos must not be manipulated, for example, by removing spots or softening lines, shadows, etc

Is this the guy? This cant be the offending photo in his passport? His phone is listed. +44 7896201955

http://www.academyofkickboxing.com/instructors.cfm

I would opine that he had a right to be upset upon missing his plane. Who wouldnt be? But as usual, the challenge is in eating crow, shutting up and walking away.

He failed to do that, and better learn the lesson.

If theres an ounce of sense, he will get time served and an escort to the plane.

I've lived here a lot longer than 3 years - please do not throw your silly lines at me! You may not agree with my opinion but please no not tell me what i do and do not understand - 3 years and coming and going on a monthly visa you clearly dont know so very much yourself.

Nobody is saying that this guy was sensible, but he is a stupid tourist that is suffering because of the egos of an imig official - common sense and thailand suffers most.

I wouldn't blame it on the ego's of the immigration officials, they are not paid to be abused or insulted same as a baker or butcher is not paid to be abused. The silly idot simply failed the attitude test. As a police officer for over 20 years we used the attitude test everyday. A simple traffic offence could have seen you drive away with a warning or find yourself in a cell. The more abuse you became the more charges you faced. Thai immigration did nothing more to him than I would not have done they just can raise the bar a little further. If he didn't know when to shut up I say good on them let him push it to the limit which he did and he lost. No pity for him should be 10 years no time for people who abuse government officials who are simply doing a difficult job.

i am surprised those that this has not many the UK Press???

The British press, using that term in it's loosest form, is too busy unearthing cheats on University Challenge to worry about trivia like this.

i would have thought The Sun would have picked up on it and ran a page or 2 with an online petion to ' Save our Brit ' :o