Report - Rainman's 3rd Annual Non-immigrant Marriage Visa Renewal

RM - I always read your annual visa app. report with trepidation as I am in the same position as yourself and follow you to an imm. office. Fortunately, I have not had the same problems as yourself.

I use Phu Sing office. First year I didn't have a letter from bank - they issued the visa anyway and told me I could post it on to them later. 2nd year I was missing the house book - I posted a copy later.

Yesterday I had everything - extras they wanted were map to get to house, wedding and house photos. Deposit in bank (joint a/c) had been there 2 months, no query about that, but they did want to know the origin of the money - I was able to satisfy them that it came from my bank a/c in HK. There is a completely new staff at the office so it was like starting again at year one.

Incidentally, they showed me an A5 booklet which has been issued to all immigration offices with the visa rules in both English and Thai. The 2 month rule is quite clear in that and should be available to you at any imm. office. The imm. staff do seem to find the marriage exten. difficult to do and I guess the person that dealt with your app. didn't want to do it.

You were lucky. Usually that is not accepted as it has to be the Husbands Money only.

I was not lucky, I was careful. I checked with the imm. dept. just what the interpretation of the rule was two months prior to my renewal.

Good advise. But not many offices would accept that.

Just a quick question while we're on the topic of photos; when you apply for an extension based on marriage

* How many photos of you and the missus around the house are needed?

* Are they returned to you after application (as some posters talk about keeping the photos on file)?

Ta

JD

Just a quick question while we're on the topic of photos; when you apply for an extension based on marriage

* How many photos of you and the missus around the house are needed?

* Are they returned to you after application (as some posters talk about keeping the photos on file)?

Ta

JD

We had one of our wedding (10 yrs ago) and one recent photo of us in our house (drunk on new years' eve). They were photocopied and handed back to me. Photocopies were put on file.

Pattaya Immigration officer I had to deal with this Year also demanded money in the Bank 3 month prior to application.

This system is a disgrace. I do understand the fact that foreigners are not allowed to work in Immigration though, as Thais are obviously not (yet?) ready to compete here on an international level. :o

Sunny

1. Believe they normally keep the photos.

2. Joint account was always accepted by Bangkok in the past for a marriage extension of stay - but not for retirement. Understand from some reports that this may no longer be the case; but it is illogical if not, as the whole idea is to support the wife.

2. Joint account was always accepted by Bangkok in the past for a marriage extension of stay - but not for retirement. Understand from some reports that this may no longer be the case; but it is illogical if not, as the whole idea is to support the wife.

Your logic is correct, however Immigration logic sees the requirement as The Husbands Money sice last November. :o

Agree with Lite Beer, the money has to be in the husbands account. But the question remains if immigration will accept a joint account with 800,000 or more for an extension based on marriage. Probably not.

Logically they should.

Agree with Lite Beer, the money has to be in the husbands account. But the question remains if immigration will accept a joint account with 800,000 or more for an extension based on marriage. Probably not.

Logically they should.

Agree with you and Lopburi 3, they should. But this is Thailand ............

Great report Rainman! Sorry (really) for having a chuckle at your predicament, but yep, been there, done that! I've had hassle free "marriage visa" applications and renewals for the past few years but have no doubt that it could go belly-up again at any stage!

In my case, this year, the Immigration officer asked for I think "3 or 4" new photos. She already has 4 of the wedding in her file, plus 4 of us around the house, plus 1 of us in the photo studio. And yes, they keep the photos, so don't give them your only copies.

I think it's just my luck of the draw when it comes to easy or difficult Immigration officers. There was a couple ahead of us on another table, where he had the 400k in his bank account for only 6 weeks, not even 2 months, let alone 3 months. And guess what? He got his extension in about 10 minutes while sitting there. And mine was rejected 3 tables down the hall with the money in it for 2 months.

As for money in a joint account, I don't think the Immigration officer I had would have accepted that. The one on the table next to me, probably yes. The one down the hall probably too but all the ones in between I have no idea.

It's really just up to how lucky you are on that day. :o

Does anyone else get butterflies in their stomach when you have 1 month left on your 1 year visa? I do now :o

No with only 1 month left I have already got my new extension.

My old one runs out today, my new one starts tomorrow which I got 10 weeks ago.

You were lucky. Usually that is not accepted as it has to be the Husbands Money only.

I was not lucky, I was careful. I checked with the imm. dept. just what the interpretation of the rule was two months prior to my renewal.

Exactly what I did. I even had a printed copy of the latest Immigration rules and the Immigration officer didn't accept that. I just wanted to spare her the walk of shame to her superior's office.

:o

Does anyone else get butterflies in their stomach when you have 1 month left on your 1 year visa? I do now :D

10 weeks ago? How do you apply for extension 2 1/2 months before it expires? :o

Does anyone else get butterflies in their stomach when you have 1 month left on your 1 year visa? I do now :D

10 weeks ago? How do you apply for extension 2 1/2 months before it expires? :o

You can apply up to 90 days before the old one expires.... Can never work out why people leave it till the last week, then go frantic if there is a problem..... So is simply if there is any problem then I have lots of time to sort it out, this is my 5th year extension and no problems.

Maybe just the posts I have read, but it appears there is problems with applications just a day or 2 before there old one runs out maybe just coincidence ?

You can apply up to 90 days before the old one expires.... Can never work out why people leave it till the last week, then go frantic if there is a problem..... So is simply if there is any problem then I have lots of time to sort it out, this is my 5th year extension and no problems.

Maybe just the posts I have read, but it appears there is problems with applications just a day or 2 before there old one runs out maybe just coincidence ?

I think that depends on where you apply. Most like you to do it within the last 30 days. Some will let you do it earlier. While Pattaya have recomended it being done at least 2 month early.

I think that depends on where you apply. Most like you to do it within the last 30 days. Some will let you do it earlier. While Pattaya have recomended it being done at least 2 month early.

Renewed mine at BKK on the 4th Feb

Exactly what I did. I even had a printed copy of the latest Immigration rules and the Immigration officer didn't accept that. I just wanted to spare her the walk of shame to her superior's office.

:o

Funny, I did this also and exactly the same outcome

Learn to smile when you walk in. I was there the other day and how depressing it must be working there with all the sad, worried faces.

I usually bring my kids, always cheers them up.

I'm a quite friendly person and I did walk in with a smile and both my wife and I greeted her nicely believe me. Unfortunately my visa expired on the 23rd so the 20th was the last possible date without leaving it to the 23rd. From my last 3 years of experience, I have to say that the officers simply never get updated on the rules. And I was surprised that she didn't only want marriage photos again but actually NEW ones.

Have my new extension,marriage.

Wasn't easy,this time;they insisted very forcefully for a retirement extension,much faster and easier,though I assured them it wasn't a problem,for me,to wait the extra month.Reluctantly my request was accepted,but not before I told to my wife,in front of them,that if granted a retirement,we had to go to the Amphur and divorce the next day.

(the Police captain asked her if I usually beat her too) :o

After 3 weeks Bangkok told us the extension,marriage had been approved,but I had to wait for the date stamped,1 month yesterday went back to Immigration,the file was missing,took a stroll,came back after2-3 hours,no way I would have waited in the Office,all ready.

Now I have a reputation as a bad ,fat,Farang;no problem,it's not worse as being a a** kissing fat Farang.

Strangely no photo requests,but then I'm not fotogenic!