Sandwash Wall

whatawonderfulday

I want to get the perimeter walls around my new house sandwashed. We have been quoted a stupid "steal from a farang" price by the local on-site contrator. Does anybody have a reccomendation as to whom I should contact and price per Sq. mtr. that is the norm please. The walls requiring the sandwash are approx. 120 sq. mtrs. total surface area.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

How much is the 'stupid' quote? A "sandwash" applied to a wall is very uncommon and should have been included in the total completion costs. I'm surprised you've even found someone willing to do it (sandwash), good luck with getting a guarantee...

are you confusing 'sandwash' with rendering?

Edited by kbvicar

Yes, please explain the term "sandwash", what it is, how it is done, what materials used, etc.

Do you mean 'white wash" using a lime wash? If so should be relatively inexpensive as lime is not expensive and labor cheap.

Never mind on the description, I read the links and see now that "Sandwash" is what we in the states often called "terrazzo".

Not to fond of it myself, but each to his own. Like all concrete, it is subject to cracking and shrinkage and then delaminating from the base if applied over existing concrete structure.

Good luck!

Sandwash is from 300 to 400 baht a square meter, on the ground. I suspect more on a wall. It consists of

1 part cement, 3 part of stones and 1 part color. The finished screed is then washed down with acid and washed off with water.

If the wall has already been screeded that will most likely have to come off as the new sandwash mix may or may not stick to the existing wall cement, with or without a bonding agent. It's a very very tricky finish to get right and even.

Just a thought have you considered sandstone bricks? They can be purchased for around 300 baht a meter plus fixing.

Sandwash is from 300 to 400 baht a square meter, on the ground. I suspect more on a wall. It consists of

1 part cement, 3 part of stones and 1 part color. The finished screed is then washed down with acid and washed off with water.

If the wall has already been screeded that will most likely have to come off as the new sandwash mix may or may not stick to the existing wall cement, with or without a bonding agent. It's a very very tricky finish to get right and even.

Just a thought have you considered sandstone bricks? They can be purchased for around 300 baht a meter plus fixing.

Rimmer -could please advise a bit more detail on sandstone brick - thanks.

The stones are quite thin and come in mostly two sizes, they are flat on one side, the other side is nicely textured. They are often seen at the side of the road done up in little bundles with pink raffia string around them. Be careful if you buy as the colors vary and you have to mix the whole lot together to get an even look. They can be cut and shaped easily with an angle cutter, you can use ordinary cement for fixing but there is also a readily available cement glue that is esier to work with.

See this link from my web page to get an idea of the overall finish, I am sure you have seen them often.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banjopicker/3033494301/

The stones are quite thin and come in mostly two sizes, they are flat on one side, the other side is nicely textured. They are often seen at the side of the road done up in little bundles with pink raffia string around them. Be careful if you buy as the colors vary and you have to mix the whole lot together to get an even look. They can be cut and shaped easily with an angle cutter, you can use ordinary cement for fixing but there is also a readily available cement glue that is esier to work with.

See this link from my web page to get an idea of the overall finish, I am sure you have seen them often.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banjopicker/3033494301/

Thanks, yes , have seen them.

Edited by Artisi