Thai Premier League...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Thai Premier League Shop just opened on 19th July at (I think) the biggest sport store in Thailand. Interesting as their filling the shop windows with posters of Thai Premier League players and merchandise rather than Man U and Liverpool. It's really showing some belief in the league.

http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...010&Ntype=1

That's good to hear, Would be great to see a Thai player in the Premier league soon. Then the youngsters have some one to look up.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all I am considering coming too thailand in january 2010. I was at stoke city as a youngster then went to macclesfield town and was there for four seasons. I had a bad injury whilst at macclesfield and that was a big blow too my career but i am at fully fit again now. I am currently playing semi-proffesional two leagues below the football league. Im 22 play right or left mid and want to know how i would go about playing in thailand in the pro leagues. Is it possible to get trials or some kind of foot in the door. Any info would be great average wages, what the standard is like how big the crowds are how popular it is. Is there any other english players currently playing out there i could contact. I am looking to live in bangkok so info on them teams would be better but any info will be great for now. Does anyone know a good website to see the standings fixtures etc of the thai pro leagues?

Many thanks again to any replies.

• 1 month later...
Thai Premier League Shop just opened on 19th July at (I think) the biggest sport store in Thailand. Interesting as their filling the shop windows with posters of Thai Premier League players and merchandise rather than Man U and Liverpool. It's really showing some belief in the league.

That's good to hear, Would be great to see a Thai player in the Premier league soon. Then the youngsters have some one to look up.

Once again the Thais have let themselves down. Just when you think that a Thai Premier League might actually have a chance of succeeding, my (ex) local team T.O.T have left Kanchanaburi and buggered off to be based in BKK.

After just SIX GAMES...!!!

Attendences weren't a disgrace at all, 2,000 - 3,000 for each game I went to. Give it a chance for flicks sake. You need time to build up a following, to get the locals to feel that their club is part of the community. Our brand new stadium is now just sitting there empty and getting old very quickly..!!

This is not the first time this has happened in Thailand and also why the National Premier League idea will never take off. Outside of BKK and probably Chonburi, the fans don't have the time to feel an affiliation to a club, to become a real fan. I feel sorry for all the local kids who have been proud to wear the shirt of "their" team. My 5 year old son loved our Sunday afternoons at the footy and it made me feel great having the old fashioned "father-son" trip to watch the match.

Won't be seeing Thailand in the World Cup during my lifetime, that's for sure..!!

Once again the Thais have let themselves down. Just when you think that a Thai Premier League might actually have a chance of succeeding, my (ex) local team T.O.T have left Kanchanaburi and buggered off to be based in BKK.

After just SIX GAMES...!!!

Attendences weren't a disgrace at all, 2,000 - 3,000 for each game I went to. Give it a chance for flicks sake. You need time to build up a following, to get the locals to feel that their club is part of the community. Our brand new stadium is now just sitting there empty and getting old very quickly..!!

This is not the first time this has happened in Thailand and also why the National Premier League idea will never take off. Outside of BKK and probably Chonburi, the fans don't have the time to feel an affiliation to a club, to become a real fan. I feel sorry for all the local kids who have been proud to wear the shirt of "their" team. My 5 year old son loved our Sunday afternoons at the footy and it made me feel great having the old fashioned "father-son" trip to watch the match.

Won't be seeing Thailand in the World Cup during my lifetime, that's for sure..!!

Really sad to hear about that. TOT are the front runners for most stupid club managers in the league (PEA are a close second) They were doing great things in Kanchanaburi and then just threw it away. There was some dispute between the club and stadium owners. Hope to see Kanchanaburi FC in Div 2 next year and then in the Prem League soon.

On the other end there are some clubs doing great things for Thai football, the standard, media coverage and crowds are up so we are looking forward to a bright future still.

• 3 weeks later...

From www.the-afc.com

A FRESH, vibrant mood is sweeping across Thai football this season. Crowds are coming back, media coverage is expanding and sponsors are lining up to join the party.

There is a pervasive air of positive vibes radiating around stadiums and turnstiles. For those who saw Thai football fall into despair less than 12 months ago, the turnaround is nothing short of miraculous.

Still, despite the extent of the turmoil, all it took to create success was the simple merging of two competing leagues into one, giving priority to teams who can boast established community support.

In 2006-07, the countryโ€™s football structure was in tatters. Fans were bewildered after being forced to follow two leagues that competed against each other โ€“ one featuring clubs attached to government entities and the other comprising provincial sides.

Despite the relative success of Chonburi FC at the 2008 AFC Champions League (ACL), reality dawned upon Thailand football with ruthless effect. It came towards the end of the year when AFC excluded Thai clubs from the revamped and much-hyped 2009 ACL, in which professionalism was the main criteria.

AFCโ€™s move was a blow for the Football Association of Thailand (FAT). But to their credit, rather than wallow in the wilderness, the FAT decided to do something about it.

They are still some way off from achieving the required standards set by AFC but the revolution of the new Thai Premier League has already started and the future looks bright.

According to Pavin Bhirombhakdi, chairman of league side Bangkok Glass FC, the AFCโ€™s decision to ignore Thai clubs for the new ACL provided the impetus needed to lift Thailand out of the doldrums.

โ€œThe key to the success of this yearโ€™s Premier League is the professional structure and regulations that the AFC insisted upon,โ€ said Pavin.

โ€œBecause of this, the Thai media has taken greater interest in the league. It is receiving more publicity and many other club leaders are investing in their teams to help them improve.โ€

Edited by Nigbon

• 5 weeks later...
Hi all I am considering coming too thailand in january 2010. I was at stoke city as a youngster then went to macclesfield town and was there for four seasons. I had a bad injury whilst at macclesfield and that was a big blow too my career but i am at fully fit again now. I am currently playing semi-proffesional two leagues below the football league. Im 22 play right or left mid and want to know how i would go about playing in thailand in the pro leagues. Is it possible to get trials or some kind of foot in the door. Any info would be great average wages, what the standard is like how big the crowds are how popular it is. Is there any other english players currently playing out there i could contact. I am looking to live in bangkok so info on them teams would be better but any info will be great for now. Does anyone know a good website to see the standings fixtures etc of the thai pro leagues?

Many thanks again to any replies.

I am in the same boat as you i live in london im 18 years old i have also played at semi pro level and i also want to go to thailand to try to get a pro contract so any info would be brilliant.