Dealing With Shitty Service

petepete

A couple of times I've been on the receiving end of shitty service here; woman at the 7-11 serving her friends behind me in the queue first, waiting at the counter at Boots while the pharmacist chats to her friend, or is on the phone.

So far, I've been dealing with it by leaving my goods on the counter and just walking out without paying - speaking with my wallet. My guess is that the employee doesn't really care: they either assume I'm being an unreasonable Westerner; don't make the connection with me leaving and their behaviour; flat-out couldn't care less...

Am I being unreasonable? Am I causing much more offense than I'm intending to? Anyone got a better way of dealing with this?

The 711 line-jumpers are a pet piss off of everyone here. I hate it when I hand over the cash and some idiot (usually male) starts asking the girl for his ciggies / phone card before I get my change back. Or they start to pile their goods on the counter and the girl hasn't finished bagging up my stuff.

How I deal with it... I block the whole counter with my body and take my time picking up my stuff - putting away my change. Fire with Fire.

The pharmacist kikiat stuff is another one. Yes, just leave or do what I do, loudly bark HELLO.

A couple of times I've been on the receiving end of shitty service here; woman at the 7-11 serving her friends behind me in the queue first, waiting at the counter at Boots while the pharmacist chats to her friend, or is on the phone.

So far, I've been dealing with it by leaving my goods on the counter and just walking out without paying - speaking with my wallet. My guess is that the employee doesn't really care: they either assume I'm being an unreasonable Westerner; don't make the connection with me leaving and their behaviour; flat-out couldn't care less...

Am I being unreasonable? Am I causing much more offense than I'm intending to? Anyone got a better way of dealing with this?

If it works for you why not. I've thought about doing the same a few times then I realised it was the onset of my monthly Full moon madness.

Just leave the shop and go back in ten minutes for a totally different experience. Don't like to say it but TIT.

Plenty of 7-11 giving good service I suspect.

easier said for me too but try to Chill out :o:D

next time while keeping goods on counter,say "sawadee khrap"in clear and bit loud voice with a smile

you will get attaintion and served first. :o

I know how you feel, at first people just pushed infront of me and I used to give them a stare but they didnt really care and it just got me pissed off.

So cant beat them, join them. Now when I go to seven eleven I just go straight to the front of the cue.

I usually just by smokes so I just go straight in and to the first counter and know one bats an eye lid

I think how you deal with it is fairly international - but I behave differently when I am on holidays to when I am working. On holidays, I am laid back, don't have to rush - so if I see a worker who is obviously in a hurry, I will stand back and ask if they would like to be served first. When I am working I use my body size and body language to say - Hey - I was here first!

Peter

I know how you feel, at first people just pushed infront of me and I used to give them a stare but they didnt really care and it just got me pissed off.

So cant beat them, join them. Now when I go to seven eleven I just go straight to the front of the cue.

I usually just by smokes so I just go straight in and to the first counter and know one bats an eye lid

Yeah but if you went into the one that BKK James was using he would be blocking off the whole counter with his body, taking his time deliberately holding everybody else up, so how would you get round that ? :o

So what you are saying is that you just push your way in at the front of the queue and nobody ever takes umbrage?

I'll have a little wager with you that you're full of <deleted>, how about taking that bet up ?

Better still, come to my local 7 Eleven and show me how you actually deal with this terrible situation, I wanna see it in all it's glory, I wanna see you just jump to the head of the queue and nobody batting an eyelid, jeeeez, Billy Liar ain't got nothing on the posters on this site...

Dreamers...

Yeah but if you went into the one that BKK James was using he would be blocking off the whole counter with his body, taking his time deliberately holding everybody else up, so how would you get round that ? :o

So what you are saying is that you just push your way in at the front of the queue and nobody ever takes umbrage?

I'll have a little wager with you that you're full of <deleted>, how about taking that bet up ?

Better still, come to my local 7 Eleven and show me how you actually deal with this terrible situation, I wanna see it in all it's glory, I wanna see you just jump to the head of the queue and nobody batting an eyelid, jeeeez, Billy Liar ain't got nothing on the posters on this site...

Dreamers...

Im not lying, I dont always go to the front, I go where I can fit in. That means usually the middle to the front. Locals do it all the time so I have no idea why your trying to wager me, you will just lose your cash.

If there is a big bloke in front of me blocking the way then I wont bother even going infron of him, im there to b served, not to fight.

Dreamers...

Mr Go6, I like to think I am reasonable. I don't jump ahead of anyone and I don't appreciate when some motobike taxi boy walks in and starts spouting order to the girls like he is god's gift to storeowners. These kind of pricks I make wait.

They shouldn't be rewarded for having no manners. Thai / Farang or otherwise.

The 711 line-jumpers are a pet piss off of everyone here. I hate it when I hand over the cash and some idiot (usually male) starts asking the girl for his ciggies / phone card before I get my change back. Or they start to pile their goods on the counter and the girl hasn't finished bagging up my stuff.

How I deal with it... I block the whole counter with my body and take my time picking up my stuff - putting away my change. Fire with Fire.

The pharmacist kikiat stuff is another one. Yes, just leave or do what I do, loudly bark HELLO.

yes, great advice. you have to be 'passive-aggressive' just like those people are in those situations. blocking the whole counter is great, as is leaning on the counter so your arm blocks their passage through.

it's so annoying, but there are ways around.

i was suprised by two incidents that happened to me a couple of months ago...

at macdonalds - only one counter was open, guy in front taking an inordinate amount of time trying to decide what he wanted; i caught the service girl's eye and she smiled at me, then asked him to move over, pushing the menu card across the counter, while she served me my ice-cream. that was nice.

at seven-11 - i was waiting at the counter when this bloke pushed in front of me. i complained, but not aggressively, and this thai bloke next to me said 'first come, first serve'. 'that should be - first push-in, first serve', i replied. he laughed and we continued chatting about it.

that made me feel better.

First time I went to THE supermarket in Quang Ngai, Viet Nam, I was waiting at the checkout for the girl to finish with the customer ahead of me when a woman just walked up and dumped her stuff ahead of mine. So there I was prepared to just have to grin and bear it or walk out. Well the checkout girl gave the customer she was dealing with his change, turned round and swept this woman's stuff out of the way and served me. Yyyyyeeessssssssssss! :o

But in Thailand I have experienced a little of that kind of behaviour, I try not to let it get the better of me. I've tried the walking out routine but that seems to get the "mai bpen rai" shrug off treatment and I've tried being excrutiatingly slow getting my money out and putting away the change but subtlety doesn't penetrate their hide. So I just tend to go with the flow, no need to raise my blood pressure over nothing.

btw if you want to experience rudeness just try living here in Seoul a few months. I'm gonna need a cultural realignment course by the time I get out. Five weeks time I will have completed my sentence and will be out of this gulag, five weeks too <deleted>' long but endurance is my middle name.

Mr Go6, I like to think I am reasonable. I don't jump ahead of anyone and I don't appreciate when some motobike taxi boy walks in and starts spouting order to the girls like he is god's gift to storeowners. These kind of pricks I make wait.

They shouldn't be rewarded for having no manners. Thai / Farang or otherwise.

Do I sense an aura of superiority with such a remark ?

What if it was a Police Colonel, would that be OK ? What if it was a Thai Muay Thai champion, what if it was Mike Tyson, what if it was Lennox Lewis, what if it was underbelly, the poster who goes to the front of the queue regardless, what if...........

Wake up James for christs sake.

here's a question....

in fast food outlets -

why do they ask for the money after first processing your order in the till, and then just walk away, only to receive your money after they've got all of your food ready? why not either get the order, then ask for the money and give you the change in one hit, or, just take the money and give you the change when they ask for it - which is when they process the order?

To line cutters, sometimes I will play with them and try to push back in (more like Thais who imagine they are some kind of hiso but obviously aren't), but sometimes I just let them by (thugs) and stare at them with curiosity as if observing a gorilla at the zoo (as opposed to a hostile stare). Believe it or not, some of them are noticeably bothered by that kind of scare, so that gives a wee bit of satisfaction.

Edited by Jingthing

why do these people think they should try and spoil a really good thread? very selfish, just like those we're complaining about - pushing in front of people to be offensive, regardless of others around them... and, as james' reply pointed out, they also have nothing constructive to contribute themselves.

In places you are not going to go again, with people waiting behind you - be extra slow counting your change and if you can arrange that they give you a 20 baht note in change hold it up to the light, flick it a few times - look at the assistant with a puzzled experession on your face and ask if this is a real 20 Baht note or a copy/fake.

Sows the seed of doubt in those behind you and leave a mark longer than simply taking your time.

I see it happening and I loudly shout HEY! CUE!. They stop and I get my proper turn. 5 years ago I had to do this fairly often but in the last few years it's gotten better and better, the counter girl/guy simply serves people in the right order and tells the line budders to wait. Progress is good.

To line cutters, sometimes I will play with them and try to push back in (more like Thais who imagine they are some kind of hiso but obviously aren't), but sometimes I just let them by (thugs) and stare at them with curiosity as if observing a gorilla at the zoo (as opposed to a hostile stare). Believe it or not, some of them are noticeably bothered by that kind of scare, so that gives a wee bit of satisfaction.

which part of this shall we have chiseled into your headstone? I think "stare at them with curiosity as if observing a gorilla at the zoo

Insulting posts and their responses have been deleted.

I don't know if the heat is getting to people or what, but let's drop the flaming, the name calling and the generally nasty abusiveness please.

That works best, if you have the fake vampires teeth with you. Just look at him normally and open the mouth like nothing unusual happens.

Trouble with that is you're liable to get a knife between the shoulder blades within the the next couple of years. Thais don't like losing face.