Shearer Takes Control At Newcastle

ThaiPauly

A sad day for the Prem in my opinion & no matter whatever we think, the Club for all it's faults, the Stadium & travelling Support will be missed & without it, the Premiership won't be better for it..

I politely disagree Singer, nothing against the fans, but NCUTD are a joke of an organisation.

Cull the herd I say.

Fair enough but you won't get Sheff Utd or Burnley filling their allocation at Pompey on a Tuesday night in February & because of those Fans not there next Year, the Premiership will be a " lesser " League..

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sad day for the Prem in my opinion & no matter whatever we think, the Club for all it's faults, the Stadium & travelling Support will be missed & without it, the Premiership won't be better for it..

I politely disagree Singer, nothing against the fans, but NCUTD are a joke of an organisation.

Cull the herd I say.

Fair enough but you won't get Sheff Utd or Burnley filling their allocation at Pompey on a Tuesday night in February & because of those Fans not there next Year, the Premiership will be a " lesser " League..

Sorry Great Fans don't make great teams (see LP,,,kidding).

But seriously, I think there will be more excitement watching a hungry Wolf and Sheffield on Wednesday, than a sad sack of has beens and misfits whose best days never came.

I never said they did but you're missing the point James, the Fans MAKE the League, without the Fans & the demand, the League wouldn't be anywhere near what it is now & to lose those Fans & that Ground for one Season, will make the Premiership a " lesser " place, trust me on that, i've been there 3 times..

I never said they did but you're missing the point James, the Fans MAKE the League, without the Fans & the demand, the League wouldn't be anywhere near what it is now & to lose those Fans & that Ground for one Season, will make the Premiership a " lesser " place, trust me on that, i've been there 3 times..

I trust you Singh, but trust me, not one person i know (barcode fans included) are interested in watching Newcastle. You don't think they have fans in Stoke, Hulll, Birm, Wolvehampton etc? Personally speaking, I would have preferred West Brom to stay up - at least they were somewhat exciting.

Nah Singh me'ole'china your talking out of your crack here! Burnley will fill there allocations for all grounds - much like Stoke there are a club with a big past and have been out of the limelight for so long that there support has dwindled. They will all return and be as passionate at any! Can't wait for the Stoke - Burnley & Dingles games they'll be corking atmospheres.

Newcastle deserve to go down and the Premier league now has 3 new clubs with lots of history and passionate fans.

A huge newly developed 60,000 seat stadium with no soul and a shit view for away fans isn't something that'll be missed at all - however a blood and thunder derby between Burnley and Manchester United played in a tight and intimidating ground like Turf Moor will be welcomed. Next season I am hoping Preston finally make it back to the top flight also.

Burnley - Welcome to the Premier League!

As for you Dingles and Blues . . . guess we'll just have to put up with you :):D

Nah Singh me'ole'china your talking out of your crack here! Burnley will fill there allocations for all grounds - much like Stoke there are a club with a big past and have been out of the limelight for so long that there support has dwindled. They will all return and be as passionate at any! Can't wait for the Stoke - Burnley & Dingles games they'll be corking atmospheres.

Newcastle deserve to go down and the Premier league now has 3 new clubs with lots of history and passionate fans.

A huge newly developed 60,000 seat stadium with no soul and a shit view for away fans isn't something that'll be missed at all - however a blood and thunder derby between Burnley and Manchester United played in a tight and intimidating ground like Turf Moor will be welcomed. Next season I am hoping Preston finally make it back to the top flight also.

Burnley - Welcome to the Premier League!

As for you Dingles and Blues . . . guess we'll just have to put up with you :):D

I know what you're saying Tech & to be honest, i shouldnt' have wrote Burnley as i'm aware they're pretty well supported..I do think a Premiership without Newcastle will be it a lesser League though..

But fair well done Burnley & i'm lookign forward to them next Year..

Sky is reporting that the investment bank representing Mike Ashley is in talks with an unnamed consortium regarding a possible takeover of Newcastle United.

Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, is believed to have travelled to the North East on Tuesday to hold talks with an anonymous group that is interested in buying the relegated Premier League club.Harris was appointed to sell the Magpies last September as owner Ashley unsuccessfully looked for a way out.

In the wake of the club's fall into the Championship, the millionaire businessman is again looking to end his association with Newcastle, and talks are reported to be ongoing.

Sky is reporting that the investment bank representing Mike Ashley is in talks with an unnamed consortium regarding a possible takeover of Newcastle United.

Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, is believed to have travelled to the North East on Tuesday to hold talks with an anonymous group that is interested in buying the relegated Premier League club.Harris was appointed to sell the Magpies last September as owner Ashley unsuccessfully looked for a way out.

In the wake of the club's fall into the Championship, the millionaire businessman is again looking to end his association with Newcastle, and talks are reported to be ongoing.

Keith Harris, you couldn't make it up. :) Newcastle will soon have Orville as the Director of Football.

Keith Harris, you couldn't make it up. :) Newcastle will soon have Orville as the Director of Football.

I thought that was Roy Hudd with Orville ???

Source: Wiki

Orville the Duck is the puppet of ventriloquist Keith Harris and was named after Orville Wright (one of the Wright Brothers). Orville is a green duckling who wears nothing but a nappy with a large safety pin on the front. He speaks with a falsetto voice.

Orville appeared on BBC television from 1982 to 1990 on The Keith Harris Show, which featured assorted puppets such as Orville the Duck and Cuddles the Monkey. Orville's high point was Keith Harris' and Orville's hit single named "Orville's Song" — "I wish I could fly, right up to the sky, but I can't..." First charting in December 1982, this single reached number 4 in the UK Singles Chart the following month, and sold over 400,000 copies.

After enjoying success Harris' bubble burst when their show was ended in 1990. Harris ended up performing to groups of up to 5,000 a night at Butlins holiday resort.

Orville has been steadily making a comeback after a 2004 advertisement for Surf washing powder. The advert featured Harris and Orville being launched into the sky and due to the advert's success it is rumoured that ITV's bosses are in talks with Keith to bring Orville back to TV in a new variety show. "Orville's Song" has been re-released as "I Wish I Could Fly" and there are now dance and disco versions also. Keith has expanded beyond his target audience with a show aimed at adults featuring Cuddles and Orville entitled "Duck off".

Orville and Keith had a short appearance on the sketch comedy series Little Britain as themselves in of a group of entertainers waiting to meet the royal family. They were interrupted by a man with a pathetic sock puppet who claimed he was Keith Harris and his sock was Orville. The real Keith was naturally annoyed at this and the fake Keith, after a few attempts at claiming to be various other public figures, was thrown out. The sketch was part of a series about a former BBC news presenter's desperate attempts to meet the royals, whom he idolised. The sketches did not make the TV version of the show, but are included in the deleted scenes portion of the DVD.

In the television series Little Britain, Orville was portrayed as an out-of-work actor shopping at a supermarket, played by Matt Lucas, dressed as an oversized version of Orville, and had a regularly-pitched voice. Matt and David wrote the sketch not long before shooting, and required Keith Harris's permission. Keith was on Five's reality show The Farm at the time.

Keith and Orville made an appearance in Banzai. Keith operated a petrol pump blindfolded and Orville was supposed to inform him when a prescribed amount of petrol had been pumped. Their opponents were Roger DeCourcey and Nookie Bear. Viewers were asked to bet on which pair would pump the amount of petrol closest to that prescribed.

In 2005, both Keith and Orville, appeared in the Five reality TV show, The Farm and went on to win it. They also appeared in the video for Tony Christie's "Is This the Way to Amarillo", which was re-released in that year.

Well, they have won a couple of things more recently than Newcastle, must be in with a chance. :D

post-15680-1243523794.jpeg Keith Harris/Orville

post-15680-1243524009.jpeg Roy Hudd without Orville

post-15680-1243523839.jpeg

CHAMPIONSHIP NEWS

Newcastle still awaiting Shearer's decision

May 29, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Newcastle United were still attempting to finalise a deal to secure Alan Shearer as their manager on Friday afternoon.

Owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias are keen to come up with a package which will persuade Shearer he will have the tools for the job.

However, until agreement is reached, supporters will have to remain patient in anticipation of what will be a crucial decision for the club's future.

The club has already started to lay off staff - around 150 employees, many of them part-time, had earlier been informed their jobs were in jeopardy.

Shearer has already provided Ashley - whose Sports Direct International business on Thursday sold its directly-owned stake in JJB Sports for a small profit - with an outline of how he would want to approach the job.

He has explained how he would revamp a squad which proved ill-suited to the task of retaining Premier League status, despite a massive wage bill.

Any new manager would have to substantially reduce expenditure on salaries, which currently amounts to more than £70m.

Some big earners will inevitably leave as they look elsewhere for football at the highest level, although the prospect of cashing in on £10m striker Obafemi Martins if the club chose to do so would be hampered by a lingering groin problems which requires further surgery.

Others may have to stay if Newcastle cannot find buyers.

But if Shearer retains the job, the chances of controversial midfielder Joey Barton remaining on board are minimal.

The 26-year-old, a £5.8m signing from Manchester City, has been injured for much of his time at St James' Park. He has also served a term in jail for common assault and affray, but it was his stand-up row with Shearer in the dressing room at Anfield after he was needlessly sent off in a 3-0 defeat by Liverpool on May 3 which proved the final straw.

Barton was banned from the training ground for the closing weeks of the season, and there is little appetite to see him return for pre-season training on July 1.

It is understood Shearer would look to offload him and his £60,000-plus-a-week wages as a matter of urgency.

Meanwhile, Newcastle full-back Jose Enrique admits he will have to consider any offers which come his way after enduring the longest year of his life.

The 23-year-old Spaniard, who has three years remaining on his contract, expects to resume his career in England in the Coca-Cola Championship following the Magpies' relegation, but will look at his options.

He told Spanish Sports daily Marca: ''No-one likes to play in the Championship, but I'm only thinking about fulfilling my contract. The team has a great budget and I am sure that if they do things well from the beginning, we can create a team of the level of Aston Villa.

''I like the city and I am very happy in England, but that doesn't rule out that I will study any offer that could arrive.Today, I see myself playing next season at Newcastle. At the moment, I'm focused on my holidays. It was a bad time for me and I need to relax. It's been the longest year of my life.''

Whoever does eventually take over will have to drastically re-shape a weak, but expensive squad in an attempt to return to the top flight at the first attempt.

That is certain to mean high-profile departures, but Enrique is confident Shearer is the right man for the job.

He said: ''We have had four coaches this season, and there have been times when we haven't even had a coach.

''Things have been bad since the first moment, but I hope everything will change for the best.

''I believe that with Alan Shearer on the bench, this change is possible.

''Since September, we could already see that it was going to be an uphill struggle for us.

''There were many big names in the dressing room, but something wasn't working. There were many bad things from the beginning.

''We only won seven games the whole season and that, for a club like Newcastle, is very bad.

''If they leave Shearer in place, things will change for the better. He is a coach that can do something great for Newcastle, and they have to give him time.

''I think that if they let him work on a long-term project, he can do something very good for this team.''

end

At least it'll be a step in the right direction.

Relegation isnt that bad we still play in black and white at St james Park, anyway at least we arent owed by the Taliban or similar Arabs.

Just yet.

post-15680-1243523794.jpeg Keith Harris/Orville

post-15680-1243524009.jpeg Roy Hudd without Orville

Well who's this then ?? :D

post-55211-1244255058_thumb.png

Just when you think things cant get any worse, and relegation is only a minor blip compared to what Ashley is now doing to the club, ...... the only man who can compete with Ashley as the most useless club owner on the planet looks to buy the club he spent 10 years stealing from and bankrupting.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-23807543/

FREDDY SHEPHERD is weighing up a cut-price bid for Newcastle United this week.

The Sunday Sun understands the former Magpies chairman is poised to offer Mike Ashley around £75 million for the club.

Shepherd’s move, which is set to be backed by overseas investors, is thought to be advanced enough for the process of due diligence – in which would-be bidders scrutinise the club’s finances - to be well under way.

When contacted last night, Shepherd refused point blank to make any comment.

But time is of the essence, with the long-time United supremo surely recognising the urgent need to resolve Newcastle’s managerial situation.

Shepherd has ploughed much of the £37m he banked from selling up to Ashley in 2007 into business projects aimed at creating local jobs.

But the only job of interest to the whole of Tyneside is the United manager’s post. Erstwhile caretaker boss Alan Shearer is still waiting for assurances from Ashley over United’s future before agreeing to take charge full-time.

But Shepherd would be willing to give those assurances, recognising that keeping Shearer on board in the long term is the overwhelming priority at St James’s Park.

The former England captain cannot afford to be kept waiting by Ashley, with the BBC likely to soon want to know if he plans to return to his role as a TV pundit next season.

It remains to be seen whether Shepherd would face serious competition in his buy-out bid, or how Ashley will regard the opportunity of selling up to a predecessor in the United boardroom.

Keith Harris, the investment banker asked by Ashley to find a buyer for Newcastle, was in the Middle East last week to gauge interest there.

Edited by sanmiguellight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1...asterclass.html

Say what you like about Mike Ashley, at least he is consistent. Having got just about every major decision wrong since he took over at Newcastle United, he looked to have broken the pattern with the temporary appointment of Alan Shearer as manager.

Shearer could not keep Newcastle up, indeed results were poor, but he restored credibility to the club with his dignified demeanour and by accepting responsibility, not least in his swift action over Joey Barton.

When Shearer said that he was prepared to discuss a permanent position as manager, and take on the challenge of restoring this shattered club to the Premier League, it appeared as if Ashley had at last lucked out on a way forward.

With admirable speed, he soon put a stop to that.

The decision to announce the club was up for sale was a masterstroke, immediately throwing all future plans up in the air and causing the positive vibes around Shearer's appointment - the only cause for optimism on Tyneside at the moment - to evaporate like morning mist.

Sure enough, there is now confusion around whether Shearer will carry on, management talks are in limbo, massive redundancies have stalled decision making in all areas, and there is even a suggestion the local hero may now be lost to West Bromwich Albion or Southampton.

Ashley may feel he made a horrible mistake in buying into the black hole of Premier League ownership. He will not be alone in that. Looking at the state of the finances, Tom Hicks and George Gillett probably regret the day they decided to get hooked up with Liverpool Reds, too.

What sets Ashley apart, however, is his determination to take his investment in directions that can only make his life more difficult. At least Hicks and Gillett resolved the dispute with Rafael Benitez, the manager, and have avoided upsetting Fernando Torres or Steven Gerrard.

If Ashley drives Shearer away, as he did Kevin Keegan, by contrast he will have successfully alienated two of the club's biggest heroes. It is as if he wilfully devises ways to drive a wedge between himself and the public.

Short of claiming Jackie Milburn was rubbish, compared to Len Shackleton, or getting the team to run out to Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner, there is not much more he can do.

It was said from the start that Ashley was an outsider with no feeling for the club, and this seemed daft protectionism considering how well served Newcastle had been by local men such as Freddy Shepherd in recent years.

In fact, the appointment of Keegan showed Ashley attempting to pander to the locals to curry favour, and that was misguided and doomed from the outset.

Recruiting Shearer was different. We still do not know if he is the right manager but he is the right man and that is a start. Better to have not involved him at all, though, if this was where it was going to end.

As it is, Ashley's indifference to local sensitivities will be proved if he gives supporters hope through Shearer, only to snatch it away.

It is as if he is determined to make their rejection absolute. How could he even countenance losing Shearer? How could he risk denunciation by the one man who has made his regime even half-credible in the past few weeks?

Shearer may be finding his feet as a manager, but Newcastle under Ashley are still to find theirs as a plausible football club. Shearer at least seemed to have a handle on the high density of overpaid wasters, mercenaries and dilettantes that populate his dressing room.

His training ground speech to the players about 'not taking the piss out of this city or its football club' must rank as one of the few moments in the season when Newcastle fans had reason to cheer.

It should have been Ashley's absolute priority to ensure that man remained in his camp.

Instead, he risks allowing Shearer to walk away, disgruntled, as the club staggers along the Leeds United treadmill to oblivion; although if this happens, the most shocking element will be the lack of surprise

got 100 million?

Newcastle given £100m price tag

Newcastle United have confirmed that the Championship club is up for sale with an asking price of £100m.

Mike Ashley revealed last week he wanted to sell and former chairman Freddy Shepherd has been linked with a bid to buy the club.

The Magpies have appointed Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, to broker a deal.

And Harris told Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek there were "two or three" rival parties vying to buy the club.

"I'm confident there will be offers to consider in quite short order," said Harris, who expects a deal to be completed by the end of June.

"It's a decent guess that there are two or three interested parties."

And Monday's statement on the Newcastle website said: "The board of Newcastle United can today confirm that the club is for sale at the price of £100m.

"Interested parties should contact Newcastle United at [email protected] (or Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce) for further details.

"The club will not be making any further comment at the present time."

From The Sun

EBAY-NEWCASTLE-SPLA_821127a.jpg

<H2 class=padding-bottom-7 style="FONT-SIZE: 1.05em; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.05em">MIKE ASHLEY turned Newcastle into a football joke yesterday. </H2>

He put the club up for sale for £100million - and asked would-be buyers to put in offers by e-mail!

It is as if interested parties are bidding for an item on online auction site ebay.

The under-fire Toon board found themselves bombarded by fake mickey-taking offers from fans all over the country, laughing at desperate owner Ashley's efforts to dump the ailing Geordies.

Ashley wanted anyone interested to contact football finance fixer Keith Harris - or give the e-mail option a go on the Newcastle United web page.

And that led to jokers like one Sunderland fan making contact, saying: "I would like to lodge an official bid to buy NUFC.

"The amount I am offering is £10. Should I be successful, I will be appointing myself as team manager, as I am currently in a management role in the Peterlee Sunday League."

Another quipped: "The amount I am offering is 2 x upper concourse seats for the Oasis concert at the Stadium of Light and a Curly Wurly."

Newcastle supporters were not laughing, though, and reacted in horror to this latest humiliation.

One disgusted Geordie said: "If ever any proof was needed of Ashley's total lack of class and crass stupidity, this e-mail fiasco provides it.

"He is a blundering buffoon who needs to be driven out of this great football club."

"Interested parties should contact Newcastle United at [email protected] (or Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce) for further details.

Are they taking the piss? It's like they are trying to sell something on EBay.

The whole thing is in a mess. They reckon that there will be a new buyer buy the end of June but what happens if there's not? What will Shearer do? Will this mean Kinnear being put back in tempory charge? More than likely no new players will be signed and we'll end up floundering around the lower reaches of the Championship.

Are they taking the piss? It's like they are trying to sell something on EBay.

The whole thing is in a mess. They reckon that there will be a new buyer buy the end of June but what happens if there's not? What will Shearer do? Will this mean Kinnear being put back in tempory charge? More than likely no new players will be signed and we'll end up floundering around the lower reaches of the Championship.

Thing is by doing what he is doing he is not even going to get the 100 million as he looks far too desperate to sell and by the time they are taken over theyre not going to be able to get necessary signings to gt them promoted. What he done leading up to the club getting relegated was bad enough but he's managed to stoop to a new all time low with this charade.

He just seems to make it up as he goes along, surely it wasnt a total shock to him that they got relegated, so you'd have thought he would have had a bit of planning for such an outcome.

It also seems as if he's dropping stories to the media saying that Shearer wants too much money, for Shearer to have to come out with the statement that he did last week denying this.

I think we are about to see a meltdown that is worse than the Leeds United escapade.

The club is insevere shit, big debts, lots of dross players and a desperate seller. Even Ashley admitted that he didn't do the corect due diligence before buying it.

It does not bode well.

I think we are about to see a meltdown that is worse than the Leeds United escapade.

The club is insevere shit, big debts, lots of dross players and a desperate seller. Even Ashley admitted that he didn't do the corect due diligence before buying it.

It does not bode well.

They dont have any debts, well only the 100 Million that Mike Ashley lent them which will get written off when he sells the club. Newcaslte own lots of land and a modern 52000 capacity ground, Leeds had a rickity rackety ground that needs replacing, and they ended up selling it to lease back.

Leeds were leasing their players hence when they sold them they didnt receive any money and they were paying wages to the players for years after they were sold.

Newcastle own their players and despite them not being too good, players like Smith and Barton who still have 3 yrs left on their contracts still have a value of a few Million, Martins will easily go for 8-10 million, Collocini will go for a 4/5 million to a Spanish club he is a Argentinian international, same as Guiterrez.

Even sh7t like Nolan who again has 3 yrs on a contract will get bought by someone, as will Duff who has 1 yr left.

The problem they have at the moment is there is no manager and the bad ship Newcaslte is sailing to god knows where for the coming season, but the Leeds situation is completely different and is just wheeled out by journalists to get headlines.

Edited by sanmiguellight

Don't wory San, you can visit us when we're at Dagenham's Ground in 5 Years in the Conference & i'll visit you when you're Ground Sharing with Gateshead Mate... :D

We can talk about the good ol days of Premier league football in the 90s and 00s. :)

Did you see some of the emails that people sent to the address looking for bids for the club, sad really, if they weren't so funny.

Don't wory San, you can visit us when we're at Dagenham's Ground in 5 Years in the Conference & i'll visit you when you're Ground Sharing with Gateshead Mate... :D

We can talk about the good ol days of Premier league football in the 90s and 00s. :)

Did you see some of the emails that people sent to the address looking for bids for the club, sad really, if they weren't so funny.

I saw that the Club invited Emails & that they put an email address on a Report i rerad, thought it was unreal to be honest & pretty amateurish..

Enlighten us with some then Jimbo ??