Thai Air Joke Prices

Cromarty

bkkjames: Here's my point: I disagree with your earlier post that, in sum, it's pretty much all about pricing.

I think there are many things that decide which airline a person selects. Pricing is one. Quality of service is another. Frequent flier programs. Safety record. Non-stop versus numbers of stops. Modern aircraft body and interior. Etc.

It is similar for why some airlines are profitable and others are not. Although at this time, airlines are -- in general -- not experiencing the best of times. Competitive pricing isn't everything...particularly if your price is so low you are not meeting costs...particularly due to fuel costs at this time.

Skytrax has some extensive and pretty interesting surveys. TG comes out fairly well. But, if you listened to some people on this forum, they're the worst airlines in the world.

bkkjames: Here's my point: I disagree with your earlier post that, in sum, it's pretty much all about pricing.

I think there are many things that decide which airline a person selects. Pricing is one. Quality of service is another. Frequent flier programs. Safety record. Non-stop versus numbers of stops. Modern aircraft body and interior. Etc.

It is similar for why some airlines are profitable and others are not. Although at this time, airlines are -- in general -- not experiencing the best of times. Competitive pricing isn't everything...particularly if your price is so low you are not meeting costs...particularly due to fuel costs at this time.

Skytrax has some extensive and pretty interesting surveys. TG comes out fairly well. But, if you listened to some people on this forum, they're the worst airlines in the world.

I don't think they are terrible at all. Compared to what we have on offer in North America - TG is much better. But the issue being discussed is pricing. Not inflight entertainment, fleet age, and so on.

Regarding fuel costs, its much less than half what it was mid last year but for some reason, TG didn't hedge and got caught out when the price of fuel skyrocketed.

True, cheap prices aren't everything but in the current economic environment, it's really no big surprise that airlines like Air Asia and Ryan Air and other LCC's are expanding market share at the expense of full service airlines.

Give you an example of pricing. Last year I was in Dubai and wanted a Dubai-BK-Dubai return. Checked with the usual suspects, TG, EK and Etihad. TG was not only 35% higher at that time, I couldn't book and pay online. Had to travel to their office on the opposite side of the city to get my ticket. Thanks, but no thanks.

Anyways, enough of this for me. Have a nice weekend.

Not sure if you stated the parameters in order of importance.

For me, the scale is:

World leading airline (assumes good quality of service)

Airplanes used on the route (I would never go on MD-11 or MD-90, A-300)

Availability of personal screen (although I only watch flight progress)

Number of stops

The price is not important at all- they all keep each other on their toes, it's already done for me.

Not sure if you stated the parameters in order of importance.

For me, the scale is:

World leading airline (assumes good quality of service)

Airplanes used on the route (I would never go on MD-11 or MD-90, A-300)

Availability of personal screen (although I only watch flight progress)

Number of stops

The price is not important at all- they all keep each other on their toes, it's already done for me.

I was not prioritizing. Actually, you and I are pretty similar in our views.

There is a reason for that.

So, are TG insane to offer prices 4 times higher?

Probably not.

Firstly, the prices are NOT higher. They are higher today for distant dates.

Secondly, TG releases their low prices to tour operators in France, while keeping the high ones until 30 days earlier.

There is a whole ecosystem ot tourist agencies that TG, as mostly govenment owned company, has to respect <snip>

Secondly, TG stronly depends on tourism and would not want to alienate tour operators in France <snip>

Check their prices for travel within 30 days and you will see what I mean.

To return you the favor, they know "smart shoppers" like you never stop drilling for more and more discounts and hardly ever buy anything no matter what the price is. And they buy no services and are just a nuisance to the entire system. Just reread you post under this light you may understand how much monkey's nuts they give about whingers.

I understand what you are saying TTM but I think it all comes down to customer perception especially in these days when comparisons can be made on the Internet.

For example if I amn looking for a fare in July (which I am) and a website quotes me 4X the fare of the other airlines. will I ever bother looking at that website ever again?

NO, and I would never even think of asking a travel agent for their prices as I would ask for the airlines that had given me lower web prices.

So they must also lose out to the 'tyre kicker' customer base also who you mustn't forget ARE in the market to buy AT THE RIGHT PRICE.

Edited by PattayaParent

• 2 weeks later...
Just checked and didnt find any prices like that for economy. Reads like someome with a chip on his shoulders joining the ranks of other TV members who always bickering about THAI.

Besides on TV, i never meet anyone who has anything real negative to say about THAI.

just back from a short break and feel the need to reply to this numpty!! My dates are 4th July out, 17 August back. 1 or 2 days either way, try it :o . I have no chips on any of my shoulders, I just want a good price for my annual visit to Europe!!

It must be that their website does not reflect their prices, but please, most people use the internet to book flights and the expectation is that the prices are a true reflection. I am not near a travel agent so I would have to find one and phone them. I will probably book with a competitor instead.

It must be that their website does not reflect their prices, but please, most people use the internet to book flights and the expectation is that the prices are a true reflection. I am not near a travel agent so I would have to find one and phone them. I will probably book with a competitor instead.

I just booked my flight for late May on the TG website...business class...ouch. But, I tried two Washington, D.C. travel agencies that "specialize" in flights to Asia and their prices were a bit higher than on the TG website, not to mention the agency's fee.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a one-way air ticket from Los Angeles to BKK this coming June...

I compared my usual airline, EVA, with Thai Air for the same flight on the same days...

Best available price for the one-way economy ticket from the airlines' web sites, including all taxes and fees:

EVA: $691 (regular economy) on Boeing 777, one stop in Taipei

Thai Air: $986 (for premium economy, the only economy available) on Airbus 340-500, nonstop

Hard to see or find any meaningful price change or improvement in Thai's ticket pricing relative to competitors.

Just to add my 2peniths

I checked the prices as per the OP, however using dates within 30days from Today, here are the results

Bangkok to Paris

Flight 1 Friday, May 15, 2009 Departure: 00:05 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Arrival: 07:05 Paris, France - Charles De Gaulle, terminal 1

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG930 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Economy Restricted

Paris to Bangkok

Flight 1 Monday, June 15, 2009 Departure: 13:40 Paris, France - Charles De Gaulle, terminal 1 Arrival: 05:55 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG931 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Economy Restricted

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,
  • THB = Thai Baht

Price Travellers Flights Taxes

2 adult(s) x (48,735.00 + 8,520.00) = 114,510.00 THB 2 child(ren) x (36,555.00 + 8,520.00) = 90,150.00 THB

total for all travellers 204,660.00 THB

oooohhhh, you are right Beano. Just like other carriers, Thai has reduced their prices from those quoted a month ago. So now they are at a bargainalicious 204,000 for a family, rather than 123,000 with Emirates. ONLY a paltry 81,000 baht more expensive. Go Thai! And thanks for the clarification Beano :o

Price not important???

How good for you!

I just flew Etihad business class, one year valid return BKK-CDG 110K Baht+ Tax, 3 months tick 85K+, got a promotion

tick valid 2 months at 65K+, eco promotion 1 month was 18500+

At the 85K+ price bracket I would have flown eco seat at 18.5.

Price does matter for me.

BTW the business class trip was dee mak mak or vely vely good.

Don't book international flights for Thai air online as the prices there are totally stupid (go through travel agent). But its ok to book domestic flights through their website, prices in that case are pretty similar to 'real world'.

Don't book international flights for Thai air online as the prices there are totally stupid (go through travel agent). But its ok to book domestic flights through their website, prices in that case are pretty similar to 'real world'.

Not true! You have to check both. I've seen sometimes the online prices with Thai Air to be absolutely fantastic and no travel agent could come even close. Other times they are very high and travel agents can beat them. It all depends on where/when you're flying and if there are any website/travel agent promotions on. Of course most people are lazy and they'll check two or more sources out the first time and then blindly use the cheapest from that point on. If you do your homework each and every time you'll end up saving money.

Not true! You have to check both. I've seen sometimes the online prices with Thai Air to be absolutely fantastic and no travel agent could come even close. Other times they are very high and travel agents can beat them. It all depends on where/when you're flying and if there are any website/travel agent promotions on. Of course most people are lazy and they'll check two or more sources out the first time and then blindly use the cheapest from that point on. If you do your homework each and every time you'll end up saving money.

I don't agree either, although I am sure it varies. I couldn't beat Thai International's online price for business from LAX to Bangkok for late May, even though I tried multiple travel agents in Washington, D.C., all of whom "specialized" in trips to Asia.

I have a 1971 Ford Fairlane, beautiful car, safe as houses, reg maintenance.

What's the problem with aircraft similarly treated.

THAI 777 200-300 on AKL - BKK are damned site more comfortable than Emirates, non stop too.

Better service, better food, possibly NZ airline catering food services need a bouquet.

Looked up seating.

Thai planes are .Economy, 3 3 3

Emirates...........Economy, 3 4 3

Singapore........ Economy, 3 3 3

Qantas does not have 777s only old 747s and 767s

Qatar...............Economy, 3 3 3

Air France........Economy, 3 4 3

Malaysian........Economy, 2 5 2 I certainly would not wish to be in centre seat.

Just a short look thru Seat Guru.

Emirates ans Air France trying sardine flites.......LOL

I'm booking flights to return to France in the summer, just after the cheap prices end unfortunately. Generally the prices are around 140,000 for 4 of us, with a slight discount for the kids. So I though I would try the national carrier of the LOS to compare the prices. So I get to the screen that comes with the first price and 130,000 shows up. Wow I thought, at last they are on a levelish standing with the others. Tax to add, but even if it comes out at another 20,000 I would probably book with Thai airways. But wait, on clicking the next screen I find that it isn't 130,000 for the family, but EACH! :):D

The grand total with wonderful Thai flying economy is 490,480.00 THB

are they having a laugh! They deserve to go bankrupt with these sorts of prices.

Did you try a travel agency.

The cheapies are TO Thailand.

I have booked for later in year with return in Jah 2010.

I had to pay more for return flite.

Neva care, far cheaper than any other airline.

Try the local shop.

My bad, sorry.

The plane I was on is VH-OGD.

Then, 4 years old (Production year 1998), now over 20 years old, still in service.

Google "Qantas VH-OGD" and you can see.

My figgering 1998 - 2009 = 11 years.

Well, when i went to school.

If we continue to fly Thai they will continue to fleece us.

I just booked tickets to France and Thai was not even on the first page. Last month I flew business class to the US and Thai was twice the price of EVA. Thai has good on board service, but their management is probably near the worst in the industry, then their aircraft are dated, then if management is bad where does their concern for maintenance lay?