Kawasaki Boss 170cc

robblok

I was wondering if there were ways to make it run faster. I am not really technical but when i was young in Holland a different exhaust could make your bike go faster. I just wonder if there are things to make it go a bit faster. I am talking say 10kph faster or so.

If it is real expensive then or not worthwhile i wont do it.

Cheapest way is to lose weight. Seriously! It's like those Corvette drivers that spend 5 000 USD on a titanium exhaust that weighs some 15 lbs less than stock....they could have saved all that money and lost the weight themselves. I'm not calling you a fat ass or anything, but it's something to consider (I am to make my little Ninja run faster! It's just so hard to do).

Another thing you may want to look at is changing the sprockets. Availability of Boss sprockets is unknown to me, but if you feel that the bike needs an excessive amount of time to get up to speed (and feels strained) you may actually want to increase the ratio and go with a smaller front/larger rear. If on the other hand it gets up to speed fairly quickly and you feel it's over-revving at speed, you'll want to decrease the ratio with a larger front/smaller rear sprocket.

Another thing to look at is a tune up. If it's been a while you may even want to have the guts of the engine looked at. High milage means lots of slop in the system; slop robs power. Even something as simple as using recommended plugs/new wires/clean low restriction air filtre makes a world of difference.

A new exhaust could make it run faster, but only if it's power restricted. With a new exhaust you'll want to change the jets in your carb since it's going to need more fuel to make sure you haven't leaned out the mixture too much. Another thing to look at is having the stock exhaust drilled out a bit and thus offering a pathway that's less restrictive. The mechanic will disassemble the old exhaust can and in the centre piece drill more/bigger holes in it.

Cheapest way is to lose weight. Seriously! It's like those Corvette drivers that spend 5 000 USD on a titanium exhaust that weighs some 15 lbs less than stock....they could have saved all that money and lost the weight themselves. I'm not calling you a fat ass or anything, but it's something to consider (I am to make my little Ninja run faster! It's just so hard to do).

Another thing you may want to look at is changing the sprockets. Availability of Boss sprockets is unknown to me, but if you feel that the bike needs an excessive amount of time to get up to speed (and feels strained) you may actually want to increase the ratio and go with a smaller front/larger rear. If on the other hand it gets up to speed fairly quickly and you feel it's over-revving at speed, you'll want to decrease the ratio with a larger front/smaller rear sprocket.

Another thing to look at is a tune up. If it's been a while you may even want to have the guts of the engine looked at. High milage means lots of slop in the system; slop robs power. Even something as simple as using recommended plugs/new wires/clean low restriction air filtre makes a world of difference.

A new exhaust could make it run faster, but only if it's power restricted. With a new exhaust you'll want to change the jets in your carb since it's going to need more fuel to make sure you haven't leaned out the mixture too much. Another thing to look at is having the stock exhaust drilled out a bit and thus offering a pathway that's less restrictive. The mechanic will disassemble the old exhaust can and in the centre piece drill more/bigger holes in it.

Thanks for your info, i have lost around 13 kg already and i plan to loose an other five and then go up an other 7-8 (muscle) so im working on it but it is not really going to get much less weight.

I will let the mechanic do a tune up (i wonder if that is hard to do and if they can handle it here where i live they seem to do everything here ok but im not that good at this kind of stuff.

I will try to get a better air filter and maybe they can do something about the exhaust. I was just looking at options so next time when i bring my bike there i can let some things be done.

I could tow you behind my Ducati ? :o

But seriously.. beyond air filter, re-jet and exhaust there isn't anything cheap that will provide a big power increase.. Sproket change is the best 'performance' boost .. One tooth down on the front will give you more acceleration.. it's often best to change front sprocket rather than the rear as you will be less likely to need a new (and longer) chain.. You might as suggested already that a good service/tune with restore performance lost thru age...

I could tow you behind my Ducati ? :o

But seriously.. beyond air filter, re-jet and exhaust there isn't anything cheap that will provide a big power increase.. Sproket change is the best 'performance' boost .. One tooth down on the front will give you more acceleration.. it's often best to change front sprocket rather than the rear as you will be less likely to need a new (and longer) chain.. You might as suggested already that a good service/tune with restore performance lost thru age...

Thanks everyone, i wasnt expecting too much but it is better to ask and see if anything could be done then to never ask and always wonder.

I am going to ask the shop where i always go what they can do for me and i really don't expect miracles. Its a bike and not one of the top of the range ones many of you drive on. I do like it a lot more then my honda wave.