Roy Keane

Jockstar

Keane confirmed as new boss of Ipswich Town

By Soccernet staff

April 23, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Roy Keane has been confirmed as the new manager of Ipswich Town, replacing Jim Magilton who was sacked on Wednesday.

GettyImages

Keane walked away from his last position

The 37-year-old returns to management after resigning from his job as manager of Premier League Sunderland in December.

Ipswich Town are eager to return to the top flight and see the former Manchester United midfielder as the man to realise that dream.

Keane worked wonders at the Stadium of Light after arriving at the club at the start of the 2006/07 season, transforming them from relegation fodder to Championship champions in just a matter of months.

He will take over at Portman Road with the club in a far healthier position but it was the club's failure to mount a serious play-off challenge this term which cost Magilton his job. After being just outside the top six in 2007/08, they are now 12 points adrift in ninth.

Keane can expect a healthy transfer war chest from the club's owner, hospitality entrepreneur Marcus Evans. He has already ploughed around £12m into the team since completing his takeover late in 2007.

Keane told the club's official website: "I truly believe that I am joining a club that has the potential, ambition and infrastructure to once again be a Premier League side.

"The club's owner (Marcus Evans) and chief executive (Simon Clegg) impressed upon me their total focus on achieving this quest at the earliest opportunity and I can't wait to get started.''

Evans said: "I am delighted that Roy has agreed to join us and we are completely aligned in our ambitions for Ipswich Town.

"He has extensive contacts in the game and is a proven winner who encourages his team to play the attractive football that Ipswich Town fans have come to expect.

"I believe he is the right man to take this club where we want to be - the Premier League.''

Clegg, the former chief executive of the British Olympic Association, added: "The appointment of Roy Keane further demonstrates our commitment to help Ipswich Town Football Club achieve our aim of returning to the Premier League at the earliest possible opportunity.

"Roy has experienced promotion as Championship winners as a manager and, importantly, then kept his side in English football's top flight, and I am looking forward to working with him.''

The Suffolk club have confirmed Keane will be unveiled at a press conference at Portman Road at 4pm on Thursday.

Always thought of him as a jumped up thug who had 2 big chips on his shoulders and was paid far, far too much for kicking a ball about. Though that's just my opinion and I don't do football that much. But what do I know ??????????????? :o

Always thought of him as a jumped up thug who had 2 big chips on his shoulders and was paid far, far too much for kicking a ball about. Though that's just my opinion and I don't do football that much. But what do I know ??????????????? :o

For someone who doesnt do football you seem to have a good point.

This man takes all the fun out of football, but sometimes his deluded spoilt millionaire brutal honesty in interviews is hillarious.

This appointment will be warmly welcomed in Suffolk. Most Town fans probably thought they would Neil Warnock.

Keane was indeed a thug - right from his early days at Forest where I saw him regularly leave his mark on the opposition.

Ironically, I think he will bring a degree of discipline to the team and it seems that Marcus Evans is establishing a good infrastructure at Portman Road following this week's announcement that Simon Clegg is taking over as CEO.

This appointment will be warmly welcomed in Suffolk. Most Town fans probably thought they would Neil Warnock.

Keane was indeed a thug - right from his early days at Forest where I saw him regularly leave his mark on the opposition.

Ironically, I think he will bring a degree of discipline to the team and it seems that Marcus Evans is establishing a good infrastructure at Portman Road following this week's announcement that Simon Clegg is taking over as CEO.

Was never a United supporter but huge fan of Roy Keane. You look at how he dictated the pace that Man United played and along with Cantona brought an air of arrogance and invincibility to United's game. The way he used to demand nothing but the best from the his fellow players and also delivered himself was immense.........Not to say he doesn't have a nasty streak but feel he is a born winner just be interesting if the players have the the desire to match his.

Always thought of him as a jumped up thug who had 2 big chips on his shoulders and was paid far, far too much for kicking a ball about. Though that's just my opinion and I don't do football that much. But what do I know ??????????????? :D

For someone who doesnt do football you seem to have a good point.

This man takes all the fun out of football, but sometimes his deluded spoilt millionaire brutal honesty in interviews is hillarious.

Like this one from the press conference....

"Three or four weeks ago I thought, if the opportunity came up, I was ready for it," Keane told a news conference.

"I would like to try and do it (win promotion) in one year, if I was not up for it I would be walking my dogs. I think my dogs needed a break." :o

i did like what he had to say about tony cascarino. hel_l of a gobshite that one is.

Roy does know how to make friends... here is another one....

Roy Keane has wasted no time courting controversy in his new job as Ipswich boss as he has said former team-mates and now Premier League managers Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes have "potential" but are not "successful managers" yet.

"I would like to try and do it (win promotion) in one year, if I was not up for it I would be walking my dogs. I think my dogs needed a break." :o

What is it with football players and their bond with dogs? Wasn't Tony Adams saying recently that he's happiest in life when he's out walking his dogs? I guess anything seems good though after managing Portsmouth?

As for Roy Keane - the only way you can get away with being as much of an arrogant argumentative <deleted> as he no doubt is, is by being bloody good at what you do. The trouble is he doesn't do that thing anymore. Now he manages and in management terms, he's a nobody.

If this doesn't end in tears i'll be amazed.

Good luck Ipswich Town. :D

What is it with football players and their bond with dogs? Wasn't Tony Adams saying recently that he's happiest in life when he's out walking his dogs? I guess anything seems good though after managing Portsmouth?

As for Roy Keane - the only way you can get away with being as much of an arrogant argumentative <deleted> as he no doubt is, is by being bloody good at what you do. The trouble is he doesn't do that thing anymore. Now he manages and in management terms, he's a nobody.

If this doesn't end in tears i'll be amazed.

Good luck Ipswich Town. :D

maybe he can buy el hatch <deleted> and gibbrish seasay to help Ipswich make the switch to Premier League 2?

Keane begins tenure with attack on ex-Utd duo

By Soccernet staff

April 24, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

New Ipswich Town boss Roy Keane has begun his tenure at Portman Road by questioning the achievements of his former Manchester United team-mates in management.

GettyImages

Roy Keane: The new Ipswich Town boss

The ex-Sunderland boss, who quit the Stadium of Light last December, returned to football on Thursday when he was unveiled as the Tractor Boys' replacement for the sacked Jim Magilton.

Keane will take charge of his first game on Saturday when Ipswich travel to Championship play-off hopefuls Cardiff.

And the former Republic of Ireland international has started his career in Suffolk in characteristically honest fashion by insisting former United team-mates Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes have yet to become 'successful' managers.

The respective Wigan and Manchester City leaders are often heralded among the Premier League's best, but Keane disagrees, saying: "Until an ex-team-mate of mine from '94 goes on and really achieves something, then I would not agree about them being a successful manager.

"You need a bit more than some of those managers have achieved yet.

"Who are the good managers you are talking about? Sparky (Hughes) and Brucie have not won a trophy have they?

"They have potential and Steve Bruce has had a good season. But Steve Bruce has been manager how many years?

"Sparky has done a brilliant job at Blackburn but is facing different challenges at Man City. We are all facing different challenges."

I wouldnt say he had a pop at either of them there more a reflection of how it is, managers in Italy, Spain and Germany occasionally manage to get lowly similar to Blackburn and Wigan in the top 4 places but no manager seems to be able to do so here, staying up for a few seasons in England is considered a great success.

Read somewhere today that he is meant to be getting 25 million to get them promoted, kind of takes away the ability to prove himself as this great manager he potentially sees himself as if this is the case.

Edited by sanmiguel

Pity, I always liked Ipswich, both the club and the town. I have said it before and will say it again, McCarthy should have twatted Keane good, hard and heavy when Keane called him an English <deleted>. McCarthy is a big hard gentleman, Keane is a snidey runt who was also unfortunately a brilliant footballer.

He can take as many pops as he likes at other managers, but the fact is he walked away from Sunderland when he thought relegation was unavoidable and he did not want to be tainted with his own failure. Look at what Hughes went through earlier in the season, City were in turmoil and a bigger joke than Newcastle but he just kept doing the job he signed on for.

The guy has a screw loose but the Ipswich fans will welcome him as the new messia.He might be ok for the Championship league as he did get Sunderland promoted when they were second from bottom when he joined.My guess is now he has the team from the start of the season he will get them palying good hard football but i will be very surprised if Keano gets them promoted.Also if he gets a few million to spend he hasnt got a good history of buying good quality,value for money players without big wages.

Look at what Hughes went through earlier in the season, City were in turmoil and a bigger joke than Newcastle but he just kept doing the job he signed on for.

Hughes went from getting millions of Taxins money albeit with the owner spending a vast amount of money on a Brazilian to being bought out by the even richer albeit with the owner spending a vast amount of money on a Brazilian, Hughes has fallen in a bucket of thumbs and came out sucking a sweet slender 19yo girls breast.

Edited by sanmiguel

The fact is that all and sundry at Ipswich wanted Alan Curbishley, but he'd said that he wouldn't consider management again outside of the Premiership. Why they then went for Keane is a mystery, he's definitely not an Ipswich type of manager.

As someone else has said - if this doesn't end in tears then it'll be a miracle.

Pity, I always liked Ipswich, both the club and the town. I have said it before and will say it again, McCarthy should have twatted Keane good, hard and heavy when Keane called him an English <deleted>. McCarthy is a big hard gentleman, Keane is a snidey runt who was also unfortunately a brilliant footballer.

I think that about sums up my view of him, also :o

I wish McCarthy would've had a go too, let Keane wipe the floor with the monotone <deleted>....!

redrus