Avocado Trees In Chiang Mai....

lungbing

I live in Khon Kaen and fancy having one or two avocado trees on our land. I asked at the recent agricultural show at Khon Kaen University and was told that the trees are available in Ching Mai and Khorat, but not Khon kaen.

We will be in Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks for a few days holiday and I would love to bring back here a couple of avocado trees. So my question is are avocado trees available in the Chiang Mai plant nurseries?

Thanks for any help

ta very much

Lung Bing

I bought some a few years ago from a grower in Samoeng... Sorry, I have no idea where he is exactly as I did it by phone, and he delivered them to my house... I don't have the phone # anymore, either. I also moved from that place shortly after...

What about buying an avocado and germinating the seed yourself? Quite easy to grow...

I seem to remember reading that you have to wait 5 years for fruit...

Here is some basic info on germinating avocado seeds

http://www.stanford.edu/~lindholm/chpro_hor.html

This is somewhat different from the way that I was taught. Used to germinate the seeds for fun (lived in a cold climate where they would never bear fruit). They make an ugly potted plant, but entertaining for kids (as I was) to grow.

Simply, take the seed and insert toothpicks on three sides. Put that into a glass of water. The toothpicks prevent the seed from being completely submerged - should only be the bottom third or so in the water.

The seed will either rot, or if it germinates, will crack and sprout roots. Plant it in some nice soil, and you're good to go. Make sure the roots point down when you plant it. :o

This is somewhat different from the way that I was taught. Used to germinate the seeds for fun (lived in a cold climate where they would never bear fruit). They make an ugly potted plant, but entertaining for kids (as I was) to grow.

Simply, take the seed and insert toothpicks on three sides. Put that into a glass of water. The toothpicks prevent the seed from being completely submerged - should only be the bottom third or so in the water.

The seed will either rot, or if it germinates, will crack and sprout roots. Plant it in some nice soil, and you're good to go. Make sure the roots point down when you plant it. :o

Yeah, I remember that, too. We also cut the tops off carrots and pineapples and grew them.... Fun stuff when you're a kid or adult :D

Btw, If they are available in Chiang Mai as seedlings, then they'd be at Kamtiang market, most likely

Your fruit won't come true from seed, better to buy grafted trees. Make sure you get several and try to get a couple of different varieties. Also, know they don't like heavy clay soils, they like soil that drains quickly otherwise they develop root rot. There is a good thread on avos and the isaan forum. Fruit in Isaan link

We bought ours off growers in Mae Sot in Tak, but I am sure they are available in CM as well. I would ask at the local fresh market when you get there, or try the agricultural dept at the Provincial offices, they should know.

Interesting link. Thanks, sbk.

One person mentioned ones coming from China.... The only ones I'm familiar with are grown locally, in the Samoeng, Chiang Dao and Fang areas, and ones from Burma, which I've heard have many avocado growing areas, as your purchase in Tak might seem to add weight to. Ever run across these Chinese ones, sbk? And what of these avocados with stringing wood fiber inside...any idea what this is all about? It is never apparant to me from outside inspection that there's an anomoly like that...

BTW, sbk, are you getting the Chinese apples in your markets? Retail prices are 5 baht here for BIG apples, which is either just above the wholesale price,- or I'm still paying too much for my alledged wholesale box price at the port in Chiang Saen... :o