1 Year Visa Needed

I am a fifty year old American Male. I am now back in the USA. I currently have a 1 year type "O" non immigrant, multiple entry visa for Thailand that expires the first of November 2009.

I am returning to Thailand on September 2nd and I plan on staying for up to 1 year.

What do I need to do and what is the easiest way for me to get another 1 year stay.

Apply for a 1 year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

You would need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or income of 65,000 baht per month proven by an affidavit form the embassy. Or you can use a combination of annual income and money in the bank to reach the 800,000 mark.

Then if you plan on traveling get a multiple re-entry permit.

With this extension you would not need to leave the country every 90 days. Just make a report to immigration every 90 days.

Yes. Easy if you qualify.Your current Visa will take you up to the end of January. So that will give you plenty of time to sort things out.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Actually his September 2 entry will end at start of December unless he makes an extra visa trip (which he may not have planned on).

If you exit/return the day before your visa expires you get a new 90 day stay if you are not aware of that.

If you do not extend it is unlikely you would be able to obtain the same type of visa closer than OZ. In the local area they would most likely issue single entry and advise you to extend your stay.

I am a 50 year old American Male and I am now back in the U.S.A. I just left Chiang Mai on April 1st, I had spent 6 months there and I love it.

I came on a 1 year non immigrant type "O" multiple entry visa. My Visa is still good until November 1st 2009. I am planning on returning in early September 2009 with my current visa and I want to stay for up to 1 year this time.

I need to know how I can get another 1 year visa while in Thailand in September 2009 to stay for 1 year. Since I am now 50 I was hoping it would be simple to get a retirement Visa. Could someone please advise me on what I need to do or what I need to bring with me from the U.S.A.

The Embassies here in America are difficult and I have trouble dealing with them. Most people here are usually rude and impatient. I also do not have transportation to travel now.

Thank you kindly for your help

Joe

When you come to Thailand you can get an extension of 1 year of your permission to stay if you can show one of the following:

- 800,000 baht in a bankaccount in Thailand for 2 months

or

- an income of 65,000 baht a month (can be from abroad)

or

- a combination of money in the bank and income, totaling 800,000 baht.

If you just leave Thailand before november and return right away you will get a new 90 day permission to stay. That leaves time anough to season the monmey in a bankaccount.

Pretty sure you can extend you stay for 12 months after you return in September.

Don't think you will have time to extend your stay based on 800,000 based in the bank but if you can get your embassy to confirm proof of an income of 65,000 per month, I am pretty sure you are good to go.

Plenty of info about the procedures in this forum.

Edit - Good tip from Mario

Edited by theoldgit

Don't think you will have time to extend your stay based on 800,000 based in the bank but if you can get your embassy to confirm proof of an income of 65,000 per month, I am pretty sure you are good to go.

He will have plenty of time. The new rules only require the money to be in the bank for 60 days for the first extension application.

Everywhere I have gone in Chiang Mai or anyone who I have talked to gives me a different answer on this topic, even at immigration. It should be a simple process but some how it is made real confusing.

I am a fifty year old American Male. I am now back in the USA. I currently have a 1 year type "O" non immigrant, multiple entry visa for Thailand that expires the first of November 2009.

I am returning to Thailand on September 2nd 2009 and I plan on staying for up to 1 year.

What do I need to do and what is the easiest way for me to get another 1 year stay.

My friend in Chiang Mai recently got his retirement visa and said it was simple. He went through the American Embasy.

Can anyone tell me some real facts on this or what I need to do to get my retirement visa?

Please help only if you are 100% sure what you are telling me...

Joe :)

If you have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank (funds originating outside of Thailand), as you have passed 50, you can apply for the one year extension of stay.

The money has to be in the bank for 2 months before you apply ( 3 months for further extensions), but best to have it in the bank 3 months as not all the immigration officers know the rules.

American Embassy does not give extensions, so I don't know what your friend means.

Edited by loong

I will get you started. You need to provide more info.

First of all, there is no way anybody got a Thai retirement visa through the USA embassy in Bangkok. Perhaps he meant he got his income letter there.

Anyway:

1. Confirm your current visa is NOT an O-A

2. Do you have income? How much per year?

3. If your income is under 65K baht per month do you have money to make up the difference that would be over 800K baht?

4. If you have no income, do you have a Thai bank account, and do you have 800K baht to put in it? (Note that if you are qualifying based on the bank account only, it will need to be in the Thai bank account for two months before applying.)

An alternative for you now in the US is to apply for an O-A visa in the USA. To do that, you need to show them money in the US and/or proof of income, complete the application, and provide a health clearance form (from the Thai embassy) and also a police record report. You apply for this at the Thai embassy in D.C. and some consulates can also handle this.

If you do not go for the O-A, you will be doing the process IN Thailand. Also possible.

First, answer the questions, not saying I will follow up, but it will help anyone else who wants to follow up with you. Good luck.

Edited by Jingthing

What if I want a 1 year retirement visa and I do not have a Thai bank account. Is it ok to bring documentation from my us bank and my social security that i have enough income to meet what they require?

Why will they give me an extra 90 days if I leave the country and return immediatly just before my current visa expires?

Joe

When you come to Thailand you can get an extension of 1 year of your permission to stay if you can show one of the following:

- 800,000 baht in a bankaccount in Thailand for 2 months

or

- an income of 65,000 baht a month (can be from abroad)

or

- a combination of money in the bank and income, totaling 800,000 baht.

If you just leave Thailand before november and return right away you will get a new 90 day permission to stay. That leaves time anough to season the monmey in a bankaccount.

If you have social security income and savings that can be used to suppliment it that equals 65,000 baht ( about $1900) per month you can get an affidavit from the US embassy to prove your income. They will not ask for proof because you make an oath that it is true and correct before a consular officer.

See this webpage to for embassy info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

You should still open a bank account here and transfer some money into it because some immigration offices will want to see a bank book along with the letter. Immigration will not accept a forign bank account.

If you make a border run the day before your visa expirs you will get another 90 day entry.

Edit: Link to US conulate Chiang Mai website: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html