Need Advice Choosing A Hotel

donx

My family plans on visiting Chiang Mai at the end of June and I have been looking at various hotels and I would like any advice/suggestions from this forum. I visited Chiang Mai before, but it was in 1999 and I was single at the time. This time I will travel with my wife, my brother-in-law and my three children (between the ages of 3 and 8). I have decided to find a large hotel with a good swimming pool and close to the night market. The two hotels that I am currently considering are the Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel and the Centara Duantawan Hotel Chiang Mai. I need two rooms and the rates for these two hotels are almost the same - $42/room/night at the Plaza Hotel and $41/room/night at Centara Duantawan. I'm leaning toward the Centara Duantawan because it seems like the location is preferable and the breakfast seems better.

Thank you for any suggestions including other hotels. I really don't want to spend more than $50/night/room. Note also that these rates were obtained from the ThaiVisa Hotel Booking link above and that the rates are inclusive of tax and service fees. Also information such as whether upgrading from a Superior to a Deluxe room is worth the additional $6/room/night would be greatly appreciated.

Duangtawan is much better generally.

And fits this description exactly: "a large hotel with a good swimming pool and close to the night market."

( Why someone would want to be near the nigh market is anyone's guess though. :) )

Thanks for that information.

Why be near the night market? Thai wife loves cheap shopping and street food.