Photos Required For Marriage Extension

I have just spoken to a friend, he had just return from Mae Sot immigration.

He was applying for a year extension on his marriage visa. He had everthing in order, photocopies and the money in the bank etc, but the one thing they said he did not have were photographs of him and his wife.

Yes, they said they now require photgraphs of their house and pictures of them together in the rooms of their house. He was asked to do this and send them quickly so they could process his application.

My friend also mentioned that they now also require the bank account should be in his name from now on and not in joint names.

I myself will be applying for my marriage extension in October. I used to do my visa in Mae Sot but there were always problems, so for the last five years I have done it in Chiang Mai and have not once had a problem. With the recent changes I will have to do it in Mae Sot as I come under this area, dreading it.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Are photos now a requirement? Are bank accounts to be in sole name? (when I very first applied for my marriage visa in Bangkok they wanted the the account to be in joint names)

The applicant name only is new this year and seems to be what they want. The photos have been asked by most offices for some time. In last year or two they have mentioned together in bedroom, with clothing storage together, in front of house or apartment with number visible, perhaps of wedding also. It is added evidence that you do live together as man and wife and may save them having to make a personal visit.

He was applying for a year extension on his marriage visa. He had everthing in order, photocopies and the money in the bank etc, but the one thing they said he did not have were photographs of him and his wife.

Yes, they said they now require photgraphs of their house and pictures of them together in the rooms of their house. He was asked to do this and send them quickly so they could process his application.

My friend also mentioned that they now also require the bank account should be in his name from now on and not in joint names.

I myself will be applying for my marriage extension in October. I used to do my visa in Mae Sot but there were always problems, so for the last five years I have done it in Chiang Mai and have not once had a problem. With the recent changes I will have to do it in Mae Sot as I come under this area, dreading it.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Are photos now a requirement? Are bank accounts to be in sole name? (when I very first applied for my marriage visa in Bangkok they wanted the the account to be in joint names)

New one to me. I wonder if all Immigration Offices will enforce this policy? Hmmmmmmm!!

New one to me. I wonder if all Immigration Offices will enforce this policy? Hmmmmmmm!!

Apparently some do, and some dont (from what I read)

I asked this very same question ('phots / map) of my Immigration office. A resounding "not required" was the answer.

Never had a visit (yet) either.

The bank account in your name only is a sure thing under the new rules.

Some immigration offices may not want the photos.

They also might to make an interview with your wife, and after that with you.

To make sure that you have the same story.

How much do you know about your wife, her mothers maiden name etc?

The bank account in your name only is a sure thing under the new rules.

A long standing joint a/c is preferred. Check with your imm. office before you make any changes.

Not any more. Here is what the rules say.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

There have lots of reports where immigration turned down the application because it was a joint account.

It was before this year - have you checked recently?

Yes. After reading advice on this forum I checked with my imm. office 60 days before renewal was due. I renewed my 12 month marriage visa a couple of weeks ago with joint a/c. No prob.

They also might to make an interview with your wife, and after that with you.

To make sure that you have the same story.

How much do you know about your wife, her mothers maiden name etc?

Well,really hope this will not be a common trend.

After5 years+ of marriage cant remember the name of my mother in law,the first name,I mean,hope the surname is the same as my wife,not sure,though.An interview of myself would be a waste of time:my language or yours?

Add to this that I'm photoshy,no pictures at all.OK,let the wife carry the bag! :)

Yes. After reading advice on this forum I checked with my imm. office 60 days before renewal was due. I renewed my 12 month marriage visa a couple of weeks ago with joint a/c. No prob.

This will not be the norm. Also there is no such thing as a 12 Month Married Visa. You are talking about a 12 Month Extension of your permission to stay.

There have lots of reports where immigration turned down the application because it was a joint account.

Mine has been extended twice with joint account. But I use monthly deposits rather than lump sum. Wonder if it makes a difference?

You are talking about a 12 Month Extension of your permission to stay.

:) So wot?

So wot it is not a Visa and we have enough problems trying to explain to new members the different procedures without people using the wrong terminology. If you sat here every day trying to explain things to confused people like a lot of us do you would understand.

Mine has been extended twice with joint account. But I use monthly deposits rather than lump sum. Wonder if it makes a difference?

As said, the rules changed this november. And yes, it makes a difference if you go for the lump sum or the income option.

Maybe I should elaborate further as my experience seems to contradict and upset the advice of moderators.

After reading the advice on this forum that joint a/cs were no longer acceptable I embarked on a hour and half drive with wife to Phu Sing Imm office. There the officer advised me that our joint a/c was fine - he said the only change was requirement for 2 month dep. instead of 3 and that there had been no further interpretation from head office on this. Wasted best part of a day but ok, thought it was sorted.

Went back to extend visa based on marr. end of Mar. The whole office had changed. I was served by an officer who had just arrived from Phuket. A chief officer from Phibun Magsahan was in charge and another officer transferred from Sauvanabaum was present. Our joint a/c was accepted, no question asked, so I queried it, citing questions on the internet. The officer dealing with me confirmed the original reply from the previous Phu Sing officer. My wife then queried the woman in charge who also agreed and this was confirmed by the woman from Sauvanabaum. The officer who originally dealt with me 60days earlier had been transferred to Chonburi.

All documents were then sent to Korat (who have jurisdiction over all Isaan imm. offices) for approval. Needless to say, it was approved and I got the visa extension stamp end April.

So, from the evidence I have, joint a/cs are accepted in Phu Sing, should be accepted in Phibun Magshan, Sauvanabaum, Phuket and Chonburi, and indeed, in all Isaan offices who are under the jurisdiction of Korat.

Edited by pnustedt

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Many offices still want to see 3 months prior to the application. :)

Maybe I should elaborate further as my experience seems to contradict and upset the advice of moderators.

If you have been using the money in the bank option for previous extensions then you may have been allowed the joint account under a clause in the new rules that allows immigration to use the old rules for a period of one year from the date the new rules went into effect.

I would not count oin it being available for your next extension and would check first before getting down to 2 months prior to your extension running out.

All we can do is state what the rules say and what other members have reported their experiences have been.

This again is an example of the need to check with your assigned office before making any application for extension of stay because every office has their own rules.

Yes Korat immigration give the final approval for the northeast but they will rubber stamp most applications that have been accepted and approved by the local office. The exception would be an application that is obviously not acceptable. They would not nit pick it to check that you don't have an account in your name only.

Many offices still want to see 3 months prior to the application. :)

I think some immigration offices are confusing retirement extensions with marriage and asking for 3 months. Again check with your assinged office to see what they require.

There was just a report about Bangkok not accepting 2 months for a person that was grandfathered under the old rules so they applied the old 3 month rule for his application. He was given a 60 day extension to allow time for the money to be in the bank for 3 months.

The immigration office I use has never asked for photos, the wife filled in a questionnaire a few years ago but now she just sits in the corner and signs a few photocopies. She has never been interviewed. In all honesty I think getting a yearly extension is easier than it used to be , I don't need half the stuff I used to and looks like are just going through the motions.

The photo requirement is probably the one that will completely depend upon which immigration office you use. A map is the same,

Mine gave us a letter to take to the local police requesting they confirm that we were living together when we did the application. The police then did a letter that we took back to immigration a few days later. I suspect that they gave us the letter to cut down on the time it would take for mailing the letter and waiting for a response.

The interview will also vary. I think maybe the first one will be more official and if recently married even more so.

In our case it was some questions asked as the officer was filling in the blanks for a document on the computer. The only particapation I had was when he asked for my parents names and then signing the document. I have no idea what I signed since it was all in Thai.

They would not nit pick it to check that you don't have an account in your name only.

There is no requirement under the rules for the a/c to be "in my name only". It only has to be in my name. Therefore a joint a/c is acceptable for renewal of the visa with every immigration officer I have spoken to.

After all, we are talking about a marriage situation where all family assets are joint assets anyway.

Edited by pnustedt

They would not nit pick it to check that you don't have an account in your name only.

There is no requirement under the rules for the a/c to be "in my name only". It only has to be in my name. Therefore a joint a/c is acceptable for renewal of the visa with every immigration officer I have spoken to.

After all, we are talking about a marriage situation where all family assets are joint assets anyway.

Many immigation offices happen to think different about that.

The rules stated that the foreign husband must have a bank deposit of no less then 400,000 baht.