Unfriendliest Town In Thailand

seahorse

I was wondering what other people's experiences have been.

For me, the unfriendliest place I have been is without doubt Nakhon Si Thammarat. The locals there seem to take a perverse pleasure in pissing off outsiders and I mean Thais as well as farangs. I mean things like people calling me a monkey (in Thai of course) to telling me to go away, or get out. Thais from outside NST have told me they are selfish and black hearted.

I have heard similar comments from people in other towns (e.g. Korat) but with nowhere near the same frequency as in NST.

Anyone care to comment?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what other people's experiences have been.

For me, the unfriendliest place I have been is without doubt Nakhon Si Thammarat. The locals there seem to take a perverse pleasure in pissing off outsiders and I mean Thais as well as farangs.

Anyone care to comment?

Unfortunately, it's exactly the same down here in Hat Yai.

I live in a mansion in a 'baan', all alone among Thai people. (My girlfriend moved to another place, but that's another story...)

The same people who give alms to monks in the morning are bitching all day "Falang baah, falang ngo..." about me. :o

The only people in this part of Thailand who respect me are...

- the (fellow) Thai teachers

- my students

- people who know me

- rich people

- people who have been abroad

- very simple people (basic education and don't sell anything) :D

- government employees

- Muslims (That's ironic, as I'm a Buddhist myself!). :D

All people who sell food (or other stuff) or services are downright hostile towards me. Also old women and motorbike-taxi drivers. :D

Edited by Baaksida

I've read something similar about Surat Thani being somewhat unfriendly but NST sounds awful...Thais in general are nothing like what you're describing. I've been in Hat Yai a few times and they were fine with me but I was also with my Thai wife and family (mother-in-law and brother-in-law) so I can't compare with somebody who has interacted with them alone.

Baaksida...It's interesting that the Muslims in that area are nice to you considering some of the Muslim views towards Westerners. I've also been in Pattani which as you know is Muslim dominated and a real hot spot now. I have a lot of family down there (mother-in-law's side) but none of the Muslims have ever said anything bad to me or made bad comments. Even when I got stuck on a family friend's motorcycle, three Muslim teenage boys were talking to me and trying to help me out...even after I had told them I'm American. In general though, how they behave with Thais and Westerners here in Bangkok differs greatly from the South. It must be tough for you to live around people like those neighbors of yours...Hat Yai is very mixed with a lot of Chinese and Thais not to mention Westerners. I hope you can find a way to deal with those nasty neighbors without getting in trouble.

Well, I can't say I ever have gotten as bad a treatment as you guys but I can say I had a cold feeling in Nakhon Pahnom when I was passing through years ago. The people were just quiet people and didn't seem to smile much. It may have just been a fluke. I was there only one day. One thing I do know about the place is there is a large Vietnamese influence there. I think the clock tower downtown might even have vietnamese writing on it. Who knows what the place is really like?

I must say that Surat Thani of all the places I have visited in Thailand is the only place I have felt uncomfortable. Its a pity because my wife is from there , her family are great but when I walk the streets with my Thai wife the looks and sneers make me feel edgy, it was in some cases as if they had never seen a Farang before, children were actually pointing at me and probably saying to their parents, "Look there is a white man". I must say I did not see many farang in Surat, only getting off the train to go to Samui.

Maybee others have a different opinion of Surat, if so I would be very interested to hear your experiences, perhaps I went at a couple of wrong times (only been twice).

Baaksida...It's interesting that the Muslims in that area are nice to you considering some of the Muslim views towards Westerners...

It must be tough for you to live around people like those neighbors of yours...Hat Yai is very mixed with a lot of Chinese and Thais not to mention Westerners. I hope you can find a way to deal with those nasty neighbors without getting in trouble.

Yes, it's tough. You get insulted all the time down here. Mostly by Chinese Thai, 'businesspeople', food vendors, taxi drivers and old people. But never by Muslims... :o

Edited by Baaksida

I've read that Southern Thais tend to speak quickly and seem to be hot tempered compared to the other regions but I've never head of anybody having these experiences. They say those in the Issan are quite friendly despite having less experience with lots of farangs. I would find it tough to live among people like your neighbors.

My wife told me, even before she had visited the south, she was under the impression that they had black hearts.

That of course is a generalization. Since my Thai is not so great, most of what is said about me goes un-noticed. That is, unless my wife tells me (being from Isarn she has trouble understanding the dialect as well). Some times she just says, 'I want to go, these people don't say good things'.

Never had any physical trouble though.

I must say that Surat Thani of all the places I have visited in Thailand is the only place I have felt uncomfortable.

Just been reading this stuff to my Thai wife and she reminded me of when we went to check-in to a hotel in Surat Thani and a fellow near the door looked at us, turned around and spat on the ground. She also felt very uncomfortable there but I didn't really notice! :o

Being from BKK she also generalize the southerners with having black hearts.

Cheers BaanOz

I believe that Nakhorn Sawan has the worst reputation for unfriendliness -- at least among Thais.

My exact sentiments. When I was backpacking around Thailand in the mid 80s I ended up in Nakhon Sawan about 8pm one evening and in every hotel, the owner,(looked Thai -Chinese), had to drag himself to the reception counter to answer enquiries; surly, grudgingly offering overpriced grubby rooms, I never saw one smile, it made me think of the old adage, as rare as a Chinaman's smile.

The young generation of Thai-Chinese seem much more friendly but I never went back to Nakhon Sawan to find out!

bannork.

I used to live in Nakhon Phanom 15 years ago and never found anything wrong with the people. I used to like seeing the farmers stop working to give me a wave as I rode passed but sadly, as elsewhere, nowadays waving seems to be a rare gesture.

I can't say I've ever noticed a significant difference in friendliness from one place to another, if anything, it seems that overall, the passage of time and the amount of foreigners settling down here has made alot of Thais indifferent to us.

I remember countless occassions from years ago of Thais young and old, male and female striking up a conversation with me because they wanted to practice their English or were trying to marry off an unwed sister or whatever. Sometimes they were just simply curious as to where I was from and why I liked Thailand etc. I can't recall the last time someone approached me like this.

I would say that the mainland south and the troubled areas of Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala in particular has more smiling faces than anywhere else. But maybe that's just me, and I'm surprised to see the southern people being called black-hearted because at one time they were considered the most kind hearted. My recollections of meeting people from the south, in and away from the south, is only positive so far.

I'm still very reluctant to call Thailand 'LOS'. If I ever use this term it's only because it's quicker to type.

Edited by Gazza

I never heard of any rudeness towards farangs or Thais in Nakon Sawan. Isn't Nakon Sawan in Central Thailand? I have read of one man's experience in a small Issan town where they didn't like foreigners at all (I seem to recall these tended to be people of Khmer stock) and were gathering a group together and approaching this guy as if to do him some harm. He hopped in a family member's truck bed and was whisked to safety. It didn't help that these people at this little festival had been drinking and it seems that nasty fights often break out at these country gatherings.

Some of you farangs who have had people act rudely towards you in the South or wherever may have been victims of an age old stereotype: That a farang man with a dark skinned Thai lady (regardless of her education/upbringing or relationship to you)is looked upon as a hooker and her client. Attitudes are changing fortunately but this problem still exists...even here in Bangkok which of course sees lots of foreign/Thai couples.

I think if you compare the Thai smiles in most parts of the country, many would find the south lacking in that regard, somewhat. I spent a couple years living in Songkhla, but my only complaints were about the lack of fresh vegies and fruits (compared to Chiang Mai), the weather (always hot and muggy), and the drivers, with Surat having the worst in Thailand, in my experience.

But, the people I liked a lot. Slow to warm to outsiders, but as loyal to their friends as the day is long. Few phony smiles like you can often find in other areas. Straight talk, no bullshit.

I happen to like that style, but I surely prefer to live in Chiang Mai :o

Some of you farangs who have had people act rudely towards you in the South or wherever may have been victims of an age old stereotype: That a farang man with a dark skinned Thai lady (regardless of her education/upbringing or relationship to you)is looked upon as a hooker and her client. Attitudes are changing fortunately but this problem still exists...even here in Bangkok which of course sees lots of foreign/Thai couples.

Yes you are right Thaiboxer! A farang marrying an asian, dark, white whatever. Any mixed marrages would get those "looks".

It's funny how many times my wife and I walk up to the checkout in a supermarket together and get asked "are these (the stuff we drop on the counter) together"??? :o

Cheers, BaanOz

Interesting thread as I have lived in the south for 16 years. I do find Ban Don (which is the name of the Amphur Muang of Surat Thani province) people to be mildly unfriendly, but then a majority of the population of most southern towns are Chinese-Thais. This is true for our little town, and true for Ban Don. That said, I don' t find southerners unfriendly. They just don't tolerate rudeness or arrogance from others. So, Bangkok people come down here with a patronizing 'country bumpkin' attitude and can't figure out when the 'bumpkins' don't welcome them with open arms. Farangs walk around with an attitude thinking that money buys everything and can't figure out when they get treated like sh!t. It's very simple, southerners don't tolerate sh!t and don't put a nice face on it when they get it.

As for the 'black heart' attitude from the rest of the country. It's true, most of the hired killers in the country come from Petchaburi, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Surat Thani. It is also true that most of the people who do the hiring are from Bangkok and the central provinces. Who is the bigger 'black heart'?? The guy who pulls the trigger or the one who is too cowardly to do it himself but willing to pay for it?

Yes you are right Thaiboxer! A farang marrying an asian, dark, white whatever. Any mixed marrages would get those "looks".

It's funny how many times my wife and I walk up to the checkout in a supermarket together and get asked "are these (the stuff we drop on the counter) together"??? :o

Cheers, BaanOz

Snap with the supermarket thing!

I don't know about the unfriendliest place in LOS, but the I find the Chinese here to be the most unfriendly/rude people.

No manners when you talk to them, just look at you like like a piece if sh1t.

Hawking up great gobfulls of flem and then flobbing in to a bag in a resturant/cafe.

Being blatently rude to other people loudly in a public place.

Saying 'Yed Mare' as every other word when in conversation (loudly)

ect... don't know what anyone elses experience of chinese are here but thats mine so far. :D

Lived in the south for three or four years and can't say I ever found the people unfriendly...met some fantastic Thais down there in fact. Hat Yai can be a bit abrupt but it is a large city, with mainly Chinese/Thai and also full of ignorant Malaysians. With regard to touristy places, I have found Kanchanaburi (town) and Sukhothai a bit strange, the latter of which I felt about as welcome as a fart in an astronauts' suit.

I spent a night in Surat Thani and we were treated very well. (Having the police chief come and meet us for dinner with a bottle of Whiskey helped a bit) :o

***kin3ll, did they have the bleedin' red carpet out as well, Dave? :D

I think it is necessary and important to be carefull not to generalise the experiences and opinions as well as not to make conlusions based upon such generalizations. sure, everyone has such memoriesof unfriendliness. but then it can be found in any place in the worl. by trying to name some "most unfriendly" town we might sort of stick a lable on it, which might not necessarily be true or fair. especially towards all the good and friendly ppl who surely live even in most 'unfriendly' place and to those new comers to Thailand who might be discouraged to visit such 'cursed' by such negative label town....

for example, I've been in Hatyai many times (although perhaps not in all other mentioned places) and surely had situations of unfriendliness. but I met a lot more friendly ppl there. and those better memories come tomind more than opposite.

there is some buddhist story (used as an example of methaphora in one of NLP books):

monk was eorking in the fieldwhen traveller approached himwith question: 'what sort of country is ahead and what sort of people live there?'

monk answered with his question: where are you coming from and what sort of ppl you've met there, and what were your impressions of /feeling about them?

traveller said: oh, I come from mountain area, people there are so bad (bla bla - whatever)....

monk told him: 'I'm afraid you'l meet same kind of ppl ahead' - and traveller leftdissapointed....

another traveller after asking same Q and getting in answer same Q by monk said: "oh, the people in the mountain area I came from are so nice and friendly " (etc. etc.)

monk smiled and told him: "then don't worry - you'll meet same kind of people ahead !" and this traveller left happy with smile.

and as one my friend told me once: "we may not always be able to choose what to see, but surely always have choise HOW to see it..." so, in many cases it is a matter of perception merely.

but of course, it would be a pretending to try not notice the sh1t if it is there. we should name a sh1t as sh1t.... the point is - not try to see sh1t everywhere and in everything....

I think it is necessary and important to be carefull not to generalise the experiences and opinions as well as not to make conlusions based upon such generalizations. sure, everyone has such memoriesof unfriendliness. but then it can be found in any place in the worl. by trying to name some "most unfriendly" town we might sort of stick a lable on it, which might not necessarily be true or fair. especially towards all the good and friendly ppl who surely live even in most 'unfriendly' place and to those new comers to Thailand who might be discouraged to visit such 'cursed' by such negative label town....

for example, I've been in Hatyai many times (although perhaps not in all other mentioned places) and surely had situations of unfriendliness. but I met a lot more friendly ppl there. and those better memories come tomind more than opposite.

there is some buddhist story (used as an example of methaphora in one of NLP books):

monk was eorking in the fieldwhen traveller approached himwith question: 'what sort of country is ahead and what sort of people live there?'

monk answered with his question: where are you coming from and what sort of ppl you've met there, and what were your impressions of /feeling about them?

traveller said: oh, I come from mountain area, people there are so bad (bla bla - whatever)....

monk told him: 'I'm afraid you'l meet same kind of ppl ahead'  - and traveller leftdissapointed....

another traveller after asking same Q and getting in answer same Q by monk said: "oh, the people in the mountain area I came from are so nice and friendly " (etc. etc.)

monk smiled and told him: "then don't worry - you'll meet same kind of people ahead !" and this traveller left happy with smile.

and as one my friend told me once: "we may not always be able to choose what to see, but surely always have choise HOW to see it..." so, in many cases it is a matter of perception merely.

but of course, it would be a pretending to try not notice the sh1t if it is there. we should name a sh1t as sh1t.... the point is - not try to see sh1t everywhere and in everything....

Excellent and perceptive reply.

Just a few random points here;

Some of this could be down to wrong time, wrong place. When you don't know the workings of a place you may not be attuned to local tensions and may have arrived at a difficult moment which has made an impression on you. An example: A Greek friend of mine turned up in Oldham for business during the time of the racial tension there and said he would never return to the UK as its a 'sinister and evil place'.

I spent a fair amount of time in Hat Yai recently and really had a nice time. We were met with only courtesy wherever we went. Chumpon was also an incredibly friendly place. My then gf was a Westerner but I don't really think thats an issue in Thailand as it may be in Vietnam (where a freind of mine was roundly abused while travelling with his American Chinese gf). Indeed the main reaction I would get was more 'whats wrong with Thai women.........'

I guess some of the racist abuse is only similar to how people would react to the sight of a black face in parts of the world unused to seeing them many years ago. To many Thais outside of BKK and the resorts seeing a white face is still a novelty which must be understood when dealing with this kind of reaction. That said it is still grating when you hear 'farang, farang' constantly when you've been in one place for a while.

It's also a question of perception as well. Some people are more sensetive to what is being said, whilst others are more thick skinned. I can name or or two places where I've found the locals to be a bit cold (Nakhorn Sawaan was one of them!) yet I would pick them over Vietnam or many places in the UK anyday.