Visa Expiring In 21 Days, Want 30 Day Stamp Instead Upon Re-entry

I am an American legally married in the kingdom (2 years) with 2 kids.

I have a 90-day visa that expires on 21 JUN and I also have a re-entry stamp. I left Thailand on 5 APR, I should be back in about 10 days from my trip to India. I have not transferred the 400k to my Thai bank account so I do not meet the requirements for the 1-year extension as I also quit my job back in March.

My main concern is that upon re-entry to Thailand, I will be forced to enter under my soon to expire visa, instead of getting a 30-day stamp.

Is this possible or has any one else run in to a similar problem? Thai immigration ALWAYS flips to every single freaking page of my passport and inspects them because I have a ton of stamps from Arab countries (including Iraq) and I'm afraid they'll see the latest Thai visa and re-entry stamp and force me to use that to re-enter.

My wife talked to our local immigration (Tha Li) and they said I *should* be able to enter under a regular 30-day stamp and make my way to Tha Li to re-apply for another 90-day non-O or a 90-day tourist visa. Then again, I find that Immigration does not normally have their head and ass wired together.

That's an interesting situation.

Obviously, you shouldn't write down the reentry permit number on your landing card. You have a few options it seems.

Hope they just stamp you in on the 30 day.

As above, but watch them with an eagle eye and if you think they are looking at the permit, stop them before they use the permit, and ask them not to use it.

Talk to them before you give up your passport, and explain your desire.

I have no idea of the odds on any of those.

You are curently on a non-O visa, with a re-emntry permit. When you return to Thailand use the non-O and don't take the 30 day visa exempt entry. Just visit immigation in Thailand and get a 60 day extension based on being married to a Thai wife, for 1,900 baht. You only need the mariage certificate for that and your wife to go with you. At the end of the 60 days you will have the 400K long enough in the bank to apply for a regular 1 year extension.

If youtake the 30 days, you lose the visa!

You could enter using your re-entry permit and go to immigration and get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

What Tha Li is talking about is doing a change of visa status (2000 baht) but to do that the money has to be in the bank and you would need the bank letter and copies of your bank book. But the money does not need to be in the bank for the required 2 months. If you can do that then getting the standard 30 day stamp may work, But you are going to have to do it witin 8 days of your arrival because to do the change of visa status you need 21 days left on your entry. When you do the change they issue a non-o visa and then you would go back for the extension (1900 baht) when the money is in the bank for 60 days.

The way it sounds either way would work if you can put the money in the bank as soon as arrive. Getting the 60 day extension might even give you a little more time dependent on what day you arrive.

With the 60 day extension you would not need to do the change of visa status which means you would not need the bank letter and bank book copies until you go for the extension.

If you decide to go for the 30 day entry then do not put your re-entry permit number on your TM6 arrival card (leave the visa number space blank). And double check that they get it right before you leave the arrival area.

There should not be any problem getting the 30 day stamp - just mention it if they see the re-entry permit and that you do not want to use it.

I am confused as to how you plan to obtain a visa at Tha Li however. The best that they could do is provide a 60 day extension of stay. You do not qualify for change of visa status with no money in bank account or job.

All,

Thank you for the replies and information.

I am a contractor and am expecting to return to the middle east in the next 60 days so I'm not too concerned with the visa. I'd just like to spend a little time with my family before I deploy again.

The 60-day visa sounds like a good idea (90 days would be ideal, just in case), however I seem to remember being told by BKK immigration that one needs at minimum 21 days left on the current visa/stamp to extend, renew, or change visa status.

You only require the 21 day to change visa status and without the 400k bank account you do not qualify for that. You can not renew a visa at immigration. You can extend your current stay for 60 days to visit wife.

Which would be 30+60=90

Edited by lopburi3

You only need the 21 days for a change of visa status. You can get an extension on the last day (not reccomended though).

The 60 day extension can be done for either entry you choose to use. But it would be best if it was the non-o entry.

If you end up needing more time you could go to Vientiane and get another single entry non-o.

I am an American legally married in the kingdom (2 years) with 2 kids.

I have a 90-day visa that expires on 21 JUN and I also have a re-entry stamp. I left Thailand on 5 APR, I should be back in about 10 days from my trip to India. I have not transferred the 400k to my Thai bank account so I do not meet the requirements for the 1-year extension as I also quit my job back in March.

My main concern is that upon re-entry to Thailand, I will be forced to enter under my soon to expire visa, instead of getting a 30-day stamp.

Is this possible or has any one else run in to a similar problem? Thai immigration ALWAYS flips to every single freaking page of my passport and inspects them because I have a ton of stamps from Arab countries (including Iraq) and I'm afraid they'll see the latest Thai visa and re-entry stamp and force me to use that to re-enter.

My wife talked to our local immigration (Tha Li) and they said I *should* be able to enter under a regular 30-day stamp and make my way to Tha Li to re-apply for another 90-day non-O or a 90-day tourist visa. Then again, I find that Immigration does not normally have their head and ass wired together.

Here's one option, go to your local stationary store and buy a RED stamp with the word "CANCELED" on it. Stamp that diagonally across the unwanted re-entry permit. No signature or initial required. I have a couple of those in a real old passport, genuine, at least one o fthem.

Mac

Here's one option, go to your local stationary store and buy a RED stamp with the word "CANCELED" on it. Stamp that diagonally across the unwanted re-entry permit. No signature or initial required. I have a couple of those in a real old passport, genuine, at least one o fthem.

Mac

Please try to refrain from advising illegal practises, which could get OP into trouble.

Mac

Please try to refrain from advising illegal practises, which could get OP into trouble.

Mario, you're correct, of course, sorry. This was some years back when I was hopefully dumber.

Mac