Devastating News For Chang Beer Drinkers In Pattaya

syd barrett

I visited Friendship Supermarket early this morning and discovered that single bottles of large Chang beer have increased in price from 36 baht to 43 baht.

This is outrageous.

That makes a case of Large Chang (12 bottles) 516 Baht.

One year ago exactly (I checked my receipts) I was paying just 350 Baht per case.

Suggestions of how we can combat this greed & injustice welcome.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited Friendship Supermarket early this morning and discovered that single bottles of large Chang beer have increased in price from 36 baht to 43 baht.

This is outrageous.

One year ago exactly (I checked my receipts) I was paying just 350 Baht per case.

Frankly, I don't think that the retail managers here have the business acuity to grasp the concept of using pricing as marketing tool. We have two choices. Buy the product, as priced, or don't.

This is outrageous.

It wasn't that long ago I was drinking San Mig Light from foodland at 21Bht a can now it's 31Bht and in the 7-11 it's 36 That's 30% plus increases, I switched to Leo at 21Bht a can and now its 25.5Bht in Foodland and 30 Bht in 7-11, and also 30Bht in of all places Tesco who pride themselves on cheap prices? yes the tax went up but this is blatent profiteering, just glad I don't smoke and are paying 12 to 15 Bht more for a pack than last month, I thought Toxin was bad but this mob are on some kind of mission to turn the Thais and Falangs into teetotals, Ive been looking at homebrew kits on the internet as it's more expensive to drink at home than in the UK now.

I know that we all have different priority but it takes more than a 7 baht increase in beer prices to make me feel "devastated"

It represents a monthly price increase of 2,604 baht for the average Pattaya drinker who wants a fridge-full of beer for him/her self and friends at home.

= GBP 570 per annum

I know that we all have different priority but it takes more than a 7 baht increase in beer prices to make me feel "devastated"

It represents a monthly price increase of 2,604 baht for the average Pattaya drinker who wants a fridge-full of beer for him/her self and friends at home.

= GBP 570 per annum

If that is the case,12 large changs a day in your calculation,I suggest you start reading the I drink too much forum.

Edit:bought some large changs at carrefour tonight at 34 baht.

Edited by basjke

= GBP 570 per annum

If that is the case,12 large changs a day in your calculation,I suggest you start reading the I drink too much forum.

Edit:bought some large changs at carrefour tonight at 34 baht.

I don't think I have ever managed 12 large ones in one day. See above (I said friends as well, my fridge is always well stocked for regular callers)!

Edited by syd barrett

Devastated?

Talk about the latest round of price gouging blamed on the excise tax increase. Years gone by, most bars/clubs 90B -120B for a Johnny Black and mix. Recent outing in Pattaya, out of nine different venues I visited in the evening, the cheapest was 140B and the median was about 150B.

A 50B increase for what amounts to one shot (if you are lucky!!!) of which a standard bottle pours 27 (I think). That is a whopping 1350B mark-up from old prices on a bottle that costs around 800B?

Night out on the booze has jumped over 30% in the blink of an eye. :)

I’m back in the UK for a few weeks. If you can be bothered to shop around for the bargains, booze is very cheap back here. Tesco had 24 X 440 ml (cans) of Carling Black label at £10 a pack. That’s about 20 Baht for a 440 ml can of a decent lager. A case of Budweiser (20 X 300 ml bottles) is on offer at £12 – around 30 Baht a bottle. Compared with Thailand, they are almost giving away wine and champagne here. Good quality New World wines at four quid a bottle. Lanson Black Label on offer at £18 a bottle. No wonder we Brits have a drink problem. Screw Pattaya and high Thai booze taxes, the weather here has been fantastic since last Friday, warm and sunny, and I’ve been taking maximum advantage of the sun and the cheap beer.

I'm back in the UK for a few weeks. If you can be bothered to shop around for the bargains, booze is very cheap back here. Tesco had 24 X 440 ml (cans) of Carling Black label at £10 a pack. That's about 20 Baht for a 440 ml can of a decent lager. A case of Budweiser (20 X 300 ml bottles) is on offer at £12 – around 30 Baht a bottle. Compared with Thailand, they are almost giving away wine and champagne here. Good quality New World wines at four quid a bottle. Lanson Black Label on offer at £18 a bottle. No wonder we Brits have a drink problem. Screw Pattaya and high Thai booze taxes, the weather here has been fantastic since last Friday, warm and sunny, and I've been taking maximum advantage of the sun and the cheap beer.

Good on ya have one for me

Lucky i dont drink much beer,but sangsom and coke can be bought from 20 baht up to 70 baht(bars only).No wonder many bars are empty,just ask how much a beer/sangsom is before you go in and i would expect the answer to be expensive in an empty bar.The competitive bars are mainly full to the rafters and they have the right idea.

Try the wholesale booze outlet next to Best at Dolphin Roundabout.

I have been drinking Singha Light for a couple of years now to avoid gibbering. :)

A Carton of cans before the price hike was 485 baht, now is 550 baht (1 week ago), which if my arithmetic is correct is around a 7% hike.

Not sure what other beers cost but if on the same equation, it will probably be cheaper than the other gougers mentioned.

Devastated?

Talk about the latest round of price gouging blamed on the excise tax increase. Years gone by, most bars/clubs 90B -120B for a Johnny Black and mix. Recent outing in Pattaya, out of nine different venues I visited in the evening, the cheapest was 140B and the median was about 150B.

A 50B increase for what amounts to one shot (if you are lucky!!!) of which a standard bottle pours 27 (I think). That is a whopping 1350B mark-up from old prices on a bottle that costs around 800B?

Night out on the booze has jumped over 30% in the blink of an eye. :)

800B??? Blimey where do you buy black from, its around 1080bht a bottle for 70cl. :D

Regarding beers all have gone up- Chang about 60bht per box, Heinken over 100bht, San Mig, singha and tiger around 80 -90bht.

:D

Cheers beer has gone up from 31 baht ( 500 ml ) can to 38 baht ,at all 7/11s :)

At the weekend the missus bought the Cheers large cans 2 pack in our local 7 for the normal price of 59 Baht.

But I ain't telling you where :D

Happy to report that on arriving back in Pattaya yesterday a quick trip to the local 7 yielded more 2 packs of large Cheers (500ml) for 59 Baht.

Cheers beer has gone up from 31 baht ( 500 ml ) can to 38 baht ,at all 7/11s :)

Who the fuc_k drinks Cheers beer anyway? That stuff shouldn't even be called beer. :D

Edited by Tod