Phayao

elektrified

I've searched the entire TV website looking for some specific information on what to do and where to stay in Phayao. It has only been mentioned in passing so it seems. There was reference to a thread entitled "What to do in Phayao" but I did not find it in the search. There is also very little information available in travel guides. My tattered old 2005 copy of Lonely Planet Thailand doesn't even mention it!

I'm looking for some recommendations of where to stay that is not too expensive and what sights/activities (including nightlife, if any :) ) are recommended.

If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I've searched the entire TV website looking for some specific information on what to do and where to stay in Phayao. It has only been mentioned in passing so it seems. There was reference to a thread entitled "What to do in Phayao" but I did not find it in the search. There is also very little information available in travel guides. My tattered old 2005 copy of Lonely Planet Thailand doesn't even mention it!

I'm looking for some recommendations of where to stay that is not too expensive and what sights/activities (including nightlife, if any :) ) are recommended.

Thanks in advance.

The whole place surrounds a lake and a couple of big hotels there,

sort of down the road from lampang ...

Thanks in advance.

I think this is the one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phayao-t188188.html

1. The Hotel for me: Phu Thong Place

2. Restaurants: Nong Ang. Chaliang.

3. Pub & Restaurants: LakeView & Krua Thep

4. Temples: Wat Sri Khom Kham beside the lake. & Wat Analayao / Doi Bussaracum west / behind the lake.

You can also try this link Travel Phayao.

"what to do in Phayao"

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Elektrified,

Here's one on-line source for some ideas :

http://www.ireference.ca/search/Phayao%20Province/

One thing I think is very worth doing there, besides enjoying the lake, is to visit Wat Si Khom Kham, it's major temple. There is a magnificent giant, very old, central Buddha, Phra Chao Ton Luang, a sitting bronze image in half-lotus (virasana) and with the right hand in bhumisparsamudra (Sanskrit : maravijaya, the "calling the Earth to witness" mudra). This image is seventeen meters or so in height, fourteen meters wide from "knee to knee." The hands are incredibly large in proportion to the statue.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...o_Ton_Luang.jpg

As you face the Wat standing outside of it : walk to your left : just outside the Wat's boundaries is a small museum the Ho Watanatham Nithat which I think is one of the best small museums in Thailand. It has excellent exhibits on the history and culture of Payao. The museum has a remarkable very early (5-600 years old ?) bronze Lanna Buddha image about (estimate) 150 cm. high in the style known as "song khrueng" (in "royal raiment," or "dressed as a prince"). This Phra Buddha Roob (Buddha image) was found by a farmer fishing in a stream, then bought from the farmer by the abbot of a local Wat and finally ended up at the museum. It has rather minimal "royal raiment" decorations compared, imho, to the more elaborate style sponsored by King Tilokkaraja, but, to my eye, it is one of the most compelling Buddha images I have ever seen.

The day I visited the museum some five years ago with a visiting American friend, we had the good luck to be introduced by the museum staff (who could not answer my questions about the black Buddha image) to a "dwarf," (my guess is something related to pituitary dwarism) but fully ordained, Thai Monk which I consider a great rarity since I thought any physical defect prevented ordination. He had a high-pitched voice, and was a remarkably radiantly happy looking round-faced small being. He spoke only partial English, and very rapidly, but I got him to slow down, and he told me the story of the origins of the very black Phra Song Khreung. I'll never forget him !

Phayao is famous, archaeologically, for its tradition of Buddha images carved of stone, particularly pink sandstone, and the museum will have examples of these in both complete and damaged (pedestal only) form (none I saw looked pink).

You can see some examples of Phayao style Buddha images in Carol Stratton's book on the "Buddhist Sculpture of Northern Thailand" on-line at :

http://books.google.com/books?id=EVpSSigMi...num=7#PPA233,M1

enjoy, ~o:37;

When I am in Phayao, I always go to Northern Lake Hotel (around THB 500/night) on Robwieng Rd. On the same street, you'll find lots of food stalls at night.

Many restaurants along the bank, on Chaikuan Rd. Tea Leaf restaurant, not far from there, is well worth a visit.

Visit Wat Analayo (17 km from the city), peaceful park and beautiful view over Phayao.

Edited by MonsieurHulot