Pattaya Estate Agent And Area Advice?

sandyandshirley

Hi Pattaya folks,

Hopefully someone has a bit of insight here to my question - myself and my wife, and 2 kids (all Scottish), are thinking about relocating to Pattaya.

We've been to see a few houses, through "One Stop Real Estate", who we both thought were very professional and knowledgeable - the guy we talked to took us round a few places we'd asked for by email previously, and also explained all the possibilities for buying a house - that's not the point of this post though.....

We went to "Alan Bolton", who I think is associated with this site, and were treated to sitting in his office looking at pictures that we had already seen on the internet. We've done our homework and got the impression that if we didn't have the money in our pocket right now, they weren't interested.

Does anyone have any personal experience with "One Stop Real Estate"? First impressions are very good.

Also, any info on what it's like to live in either "Freeway Villas, Mabprachan", "SP3", or "SP5"?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to make the right decision....

Chang - and another Chang please,

Sandy

Just remember that a real estate agent is not your friend, he wants to sell you property.

As neither of you are Thai, so unable to buy land, please take advice before committing yourself and do not use a lawyer recommended by any estate agent.

Just remember that a real estate agent is not your friend, he wants to sell you property.

As neither of you are Thai, so unable to buy land, please take advice before committing yourself and do not use a lawyer recommended by any estate agent.

That's well noted - which is why I'd like to make sure if I were to use a lawyer recommended by an E.A. they had been in business for a long time with lots of happy farang customers. As we're newcomers we don't have first-hand knowledge of good lawyers. If there's a consensus among expats for a good lawyer I would go with that.....

Thanks!

Sandy

I have used both, Mark at One stop was helpfull, But the German guy who owns One stop, Put me off buying anything with them.

Alan Bolton/Pattaya realty when he owned it, was really helpfull and bought all my Condo's with them, Big Steve went above and beyond to help me,

Who sadly past away a few months ago.

I would go with Alan Bolton as he has been selling property in Pattaya a long time and is very professional.

Never dealt with Alan Bolton.

Did work with One Stop, but as a seller, and although they didn't sell any of my houses they did come over as the most professional.

Made a proper photo shoot of the property (with a proper wide angle camera!), asked all the right questions, gave advice on pricing etc.

When they showed up with customers, they actually seemed to be interested in the kind of property we were selling, whereas some of the other agents were clearly trying to upsell, i.e. showing our property to customers who were looking for something different/cheaper altogether! You bring lots of customers that way, but you're not selling anything!

So you're clearly interested in the "dark side" of Sukhumvit!

I both live and work there, and couldn't be happier! Lots of restaurants, pubs etc., just look in this thread and you'll see there's lots of good things around in that area.

Both SP 3 and SP5 are on Soi Siam Country club road, still relatively close to Sukhumvit, whereas Freeway Villa's is a bit further down the road (towards Horse Shoe Point).

IMO both SP villages are serial work. Houses are rather nice, but you're living in a village of exact copies. Plus they tend to stand on tiny plots of land. Watch out of a window and the only thing you'll see is a wall 1.5 meters away.

Never been inside freeway, but looking at the style I think they are a bit more spacious!

If I was you, try to get a rental car (or even better a moped) and spend half a day driving through the area. Lots of for rent/for sale signs around!

The area you are choosing is nice in some respects but if you need to take the kids into Pattaya for school etc it can be a right ball ache in the morning.The new relief road is a total mess and very dangerous,and there are plenty of muggings if you rely on a motorbike for transport.I agree there are plenty of bars/restaraunts over there but be very careful where you choose to live.No police presense over on the Darkside except for a few road blocks checking for no crash helmets.

Sounds like you will be working and have some decent money so i personaly would choose North Pattaya to look first as there are some lovely projects and new housing complexes,with ample baht buses to use if you dont want or need transport.Also look at places like Carrefor,Foodland and Friendship as there are plenty of houses for sale and rent with pics and telephone numbers,and you dont have to pay fees to Estate Agents,who are having a real bad times and might add a few baht on a purchase.They are no different than thais,poor business and they increase their fees.

Hi Pattaya folks,

Hopefully someone has a bit of insight here to my question - myself and my wife, and 2 kids (all Scottish), are thinking about relocating to Pattaya.

We've been to see a few houses, through "One Stop Real Estate", who we both thought were very professional and knowledgeable - the guy we talked to took us round a few places we'd asked for by email previously, and also explained all the possibilities for buying a house - that's not the point of this post though.....

We went to "Alan Bolton", who I think is associated with this site, and were treated to sitting in his office looking at pictures that we had already seen on the internet. We've done our homework and got the impression that if we didn't have the money in our pocket right now, they weren't interested.

Does anyone have any personal experience with "One Stop Real Estate"? First impressions are very good.

Also, any info on what it's like to live in either "Freeway Villas, Mabprachan", "SP3", or "SP5"?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to make the right decision....

Chang - and another Chang please,

Sandy

Alan Bolton or David at East Coast are the only ones I will deal with.

Good luck in your search

One of the problems with "agents" is they want to sell you one of there developments as they will earn more commission that way. I would never buy on a new development again, nothing generally turns out as it is supposed to, a lot of excellent pre owned properties on the market now (and for the foreseeable future!) have a good look around, buy what you want, not what the agent wants to sell you.

AND if you want a house with a pool on the darkside, close to schools PM me, do I have a bargain for you :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the pointers and help guys. Me and the missus were back in Pattaya 3 weeks ago for a week and decided that it's unfortunately not the place to bring up the kids (we decided to stay for a week in the middle of town this time to see what it was like). Although the Dark Side is a totally different place, it's still Pattaya. When you compare house prices the US (Texas) to house prices in Pataya, they're about the same. For a 3rd world country, that's silly.

Thanks, we'll be back on holiday. Over and out.

Sandy

Although the Dark Side is a totally different place, it's still Pattaya. When you compare house prices the US (Texas) to house prices in Pataya, they're about the same. For a 3rd world country, that's silly.

Sandy

THIS IS WHAT MORE PROSPECTIVE BUYERS SHOULD REMEMBER

Thanks for all the pointers and help guys. Me and the missus were back in Pattaya 3 weeks ago for a week and decided that it's unfortunately not the place to bring up the kids (we decided to stay for a week in the middle of town this time to see what it was like). Although the Dark Side is a totally different place, it's still Pattaya. When you compare house prices the US (Texas) to house prices in Pataya, they're about the same. For a 3rd world country, that's silly.

Sandy

Makes a perfect argument for moving to Pattaya then! :)

Thanks for all the pointers and help guys. Me and the missus were back in Pattaya 3 weeks ago for a week and decided that it's unfortunately not the place to bring up the kids (we decided to stay for a week in the middle of town this time to see what it was like).

Looks like they were spot on then eh? tyre kickers!!!

• 1 month later...

I am currently working with Robert. Great guy. Treats me really nice. Hope I can do some biz with him. I also met with Alan. Seems like a great guy also.

I agree with the OP that prices are a little bit excessive here...especially compared to the US at the moment. BUT, like LennyW said, this ain't Texas...and that is a good thing. Cost of living here is WAY cheaper than the US. Beaches are beautiful here...and year round.

I saw some really beautiful, Bali style pool villas for 6-7M Baht. Seemed nice to me, especially for the price. Try and find anything in that price range )with a pool) within 4km of any beach anywhere in the USA...never happen.

But, I don't have kids...agree that Texas would be better if I had kids...

Sandy

Even some of the Foreclosures in Las Vegas , Palm Springs (Cathedral City) etc & not forgetting a 10 year visa in Malaysia in Penang ON THE BEACH is more economical , it makes you have second thoughts . We are

:)

I have bought 5 properties from a guy called Gary who is the owner of Beach Properties in Jomtien, they also have a shop in Central Pattaya - always lived up to what they promised they also have a website beachpropertiesthailand.com

I have bought 5 properties from a guy called Gary who is the owner of Beach Properties in Jomtien, they also have a shop in Central Pattaya - always lived up to what they promised they also have a website beachpropertiesthailand.com

if you need a lawyer, the guy on thepprasit who does the talks for the expat club and writes articles in the local papers is very good

if you need a lawyer, the guy on thepprasit who does the talks for the expat club and writes articles in the local papers is very good

Huh????

He is still writing today that company owned property is the way to go.

They should hang lawyers promoting illegal stuff (nominees...).

This is only assuming you are talking about the bloke writing the PP newspaper...