Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I had my 5 year licence stolen and reported it to the police.

The licence was 2 years old.

I have since moved into a condo I have purchased, hence the address on my stolen licence is now incorrect.

Questions:

1. What documents, apart form the obvious photos and passport do I need to get a replacement, or do they just check their records and issue me a new one?

2. If I give my new address, I gather I need a Residency Certificate which is free from the Amphur as proof. What docs do I need to present as proof of residence as: I have a non-Imm B visa, I don't obviously have a rental agreement!? Do I get the condo management company to do a letter saying that I live there and am the owner?

Of course I can not tell them that I have moved?!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I found after asking loads of officials - police, immigration and amphurs are not allowed to issue confirmation of residence letters. Only the consuls.

Perhaps I'm not clear on the lingo -- maybe what I got from the Thai Immigrations office in Pattaya is not a "confirmation of residence letter?" Whatever it was, it was acceptable to the drivers license bureay near Pattaya to obtain two drivers licenses.

Is this what is called a "confirmation of residence letter?"

This is a residence certificate.

Obtained 1 year driving licence yesterday at Amnat Charoen transport office.

The day before got medical certificate from city doctor cost 30 baht.

Next day went to local Amphur office with thai wife and village headman. Amphur office gave me a certificate of residence, cost 100 baht.

Then went to transport office with wife and headman armed with above documents, including international driving licence, passport with visa, photo's and copies of all of the documents and signed each page. Had 30 second colour eye test and left with 1 year driving licence.

Bought headman 200 baht lunch

Next day went to local Amphur office with thai wife and village headman. Amphur office gave me a certificate of residence, cost 100 baht.

I'd like some clarity on residence requirements to obtain a licence.

Assume I've just arrived in Thailand and on a N-O visa and still doing the waiting for the processing for retirement visa etc. Living in temporary accommodation and still looking for a house to rent.

So question is do you need to have both a retirement visa and a rental agreement in order to apply for certificate of residence and tehn driving licence?

thanks.

I've just read right through these threads on D/Ls. Its obvious that each office has it own set of rules. I've had a Thai D/L for many years and have never been asked for any immigration or embassy letters when initially applying or renewing a D/L.

My initial application was showing the original passport with Non-O visa, and photocopies & photos handed over. A look (and only a look) at my UK D/L, and a quick eyesight test. Last two renewals have just been fill in the form and hand over copies of my passport showing an up to date non-immigrant visa. I'm in Nonthaburi province.

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

Could a kind soul please clarify what this form is and where I can get it in BKK ... or even if it's required at the BKK (On Nut) D/L centre...

I ask because I shall have to renew my 5 yr D/L shortly, however, when I got it I was working in BKK on a Non-Imm 'B' / work permit and did not have to provide a TM47 - now I am on a Non-Imm 'O' visa so assume I shall have to provide a different proof of address.

On which note, said address will be different to my old office address shown on my current licence - anyone know if this is likely to cause a problem?

Thanks,

CC

Hi just looking at the requirements for obtaining a thai moped license. Are they strict about haveing a non immo visa or can it be done on a tourist visa??

Cheers

You can even do it with a 30-day Entry Stamp. Anyone who doesn't believe me can ask my brother-in-law. He did it last week and also obtained a Residence Certificate from Pattaya Immigration.

• 2 weeks later...
does a certificate of residence from the US embassy have to be translated into Thai before it is presented with a driver's license application? What is required by the embassy for them to issue the cert. of residence?...thanks

No it does not need to be translated into Thai. At the USA embassy you sign an Affidavit pay the fees and wait for the document.

Do you still need to take this Affidavit from the embassy to the immigration office for there "letter of address verification" or can you take the embassy Affidavit directly in to the transportation office as your proof of address?

Do you still need to take this Affidavit from the embassy to the immigration office for there "letter of address verification" or can you take the embassy Affidavit directly in to the transportation office as your proof of address?

The embassy letter can go direct to the transportation office.

I had mine translated (free) by our condo. Juristic Person, nothing was said either way by the licence office.

Then went to transport office with wife and headman armed with above documents, including international driving licence, passport with visa, photo's and copies of all of the documents and signed each page. Had 30 second colour eye test and left with 1 year driving licence.

Bought headman 200 baht lunch

Well you were lucky. As I've stated before - only a letter from your embassy will suffice for a 'proof of residence/residence certificate'. I tried every other option - police, immigration, amphur and that's what I was told by all of them. But that was Nakhon Sawan. Seems to vary everywhere.

I went to the clinic yesterday and got a medical certificate so I can obtain a 1 year driving licence but I may not be able to get to Pattaya this week (where I need to apply for the licence) Does the medical certificate expire after any length of time and if so does anyone know how long it lasts. I should be able to get there beginning of next week.

Wow very impressed with the motor vehicles branch across from JJ market in Bangkok. I went to trade my 1 year license for a 5 year license and it couldn't have been more efficient. You take a number to a dedicated foreigners station and I was out in 30 mins. They take the photo and collect your documents in the cubicle then present you with your shiny new license all in 15 mins. Then you wave good bye to the hundred Thais waiting hours :-)

I have 3 questions.

1 My 5 year licence expires next May but I have moved from Bankok To near Khampaeng Phet where there is a licence office. Can I just go in there and renew my old licence and do a change of address at the same time?

2 Can I add a motorcycle licence to the car one at the same time?

3 I know in the UK my licence expire when I am 70 but it can be renewed. Does the same apply in Thailand and when would I have to take a retest. I am 63 now.

Cheers

Wow very impressed with the motor vehicles branch across from JJ market in Bangkok. I went to trade my 1 year license for a 5 year license and it couldn't have been more efficient. You take a number to a dedicated foreigners station and I was out in 30 mins. They take the photo and collect your documents in the cubicle then present you with your shiny new license all in 15 mins. Then you wave good bye to the hundred Thais waiting hours :-)

My experience yesterday also, the place was like a beehive, but for us just a stop on the way home from the shops.

Someone told me that the letter from the UK embassy has now gone upto 2500baht... Anyone confirm? If so scandalous!

I need to goto renew my licence next month... anyone know anyways of getting around paying this money? For example are they more lenient at Bang Khuntien office?

Thanks.

HI,

my work permit address is based on jomthong, bangmod near daokanong. can i go any office to obtain my d/l?

i don't need any letter from the embassy right?

thanks

Any office is ok yeah... the bang khuntien or mo chit branch are fine. If you have a WP no letter from embassy needed. Lucky Sod.

Edited by Murf

Letter from British Embassy is 2210Bt.

I tried to renew my licence at On-nut (Suk 62) in October last year. This proved problematical for a number of reasons.

I no longer had a WP or Non Imm Visa

Queues were ridiculously long - over 3hrs

Staff were not friendly (to Thais as well as me)

I also failed one of the eye tests as it was only a couple of weeks after I had laser eye surgery done.

Anyway, after my eyes had healed I tried again at Chatuchak/Morchit where I got my original licence from.

They would not give me a 5yr licence but they were very friendly & helpful in renewing my existing 1yr licence for another year. Whole process took 40mins.

I only have one comment.

Although I was renewing my licence I had to take the 4 eyesight tests again. My friend who got his original licence at the same time as me and was in for his 5yr licence got his licence renewed with no tests whatsoever. I fail to understand how having a WP makes you able to see better.

The logic is missing but didn't want to get into too much detail with the Morchit Office as it was a real breath of fresh air after my experiences at Suk 62.

• 2 weeks later...

Mod's

This is getting quite confusing and the fact is that original advice is outdated regarding requirements.

Maybe updated instructions for current requirements to be pinned pinned ?

Letter from British Embassy is 2210Bt.

I tried to renew my licence at On-nut (Suk 62) in October last year. This proved problematical for a number of reasons.

I no longer had a WP or Non Imm Visa

Queues were ridiculously long - over 3hrs

Staff were not friendly (to Thais as well as me)

I also failed one of the eye tests as it was only a couple of weeks after I had laser eye surgery done.

Anyway, after my eyes had healed I tried again at Chatuchak/Morchit where I got my original licence from.

They would not give me a 5yr licence but they were very friendly & helpful in renewing my existing 1yr licence for another year. Whole process took 40mins.

I only have one comment.

Although I was renewing my licence I had to take the 4 eyesight tests again. My friend who got his original licence at the same time as me and was in for his 5yr licence got his licence renewed with no tests whatsoever. I fail to understand how having a WP makes you able to see better.

The logic is missing but didn't want to get into too much detail with the Morchit Office as it was a real breath of fresh air after my experiences at Suk 62.

bonio,

i am not doubting what you have posted.

to day i was at what i presume to be the same office you were at, bang jak at sukhumvit soi 99( right next to the levis factory outlet store) sometimes referred to as soi 62.

i do not have a work permit.

all that was required was as follows, residence letter, 2210 baht from british emabassay, letter from clinic 40 baht, copy of passport and old drivers license.

i did not have to take any tests whatsoever.

arrived about 11:30 in the morning, went to the desk just in front of counter number 7, the lady checked my details and gave me a number, waited in line for about 25 minutes, i was number 582, when i sat down they were still on number 568.

after 25 minutes my number flashed up, i went to counter number 5, the lady checked my documents, entered the details in the computer then asked me to check, she then told me to yim wan (smile) and took my photo and hit print, told me i was finished, whole process took less than 2 minutes, by the time i had walked from counter 5 to counter 7 my laminated new license had printed out.

cost for new 5 year license was 605 baht.

i was very impressed with the layout of the building, the staff and the way everything was carried out.

they also have a nice thai style eating area just across from the main building with what must be the cheapest singha beer on sukhumvit, 30 baht for a small bottle.

Got my licence from Sukhumvit (office no. 3, opposite soi 62/1) as well on tuesday. No problems with communicating in english and find the staff very polite, nice and helpfull. Best service from any gov office i've seen so far.

My one year licences expired some 5 years ago so i had to do the whole deal from the beginning and as i dont have bike in my EU licence i just decided to go with the full tests. Also wanted to see how it works out this way... :D

- 8.00am registration (the ladies behind info counter speak good english and did all the application forms etc for me)

- 9.00am eye and reaction tests (again no probs with language)

- 10.00am watching video + bit reading some old traffic rules book behind counter 9 (both in english)

- 10.30am written test (same test twice as i did for car and bike, again in english and only one question did not make any sense)

- 01.00pm drive test (rent a bike 50 baht, rent a car 100 baht available)

- 04.00pm i had my licence in hand (long que as i was the last to take my number from information desk)

But the best thing is that they issued me 5 YEARS licence !!! :o

I had my old expired ones with me (original and copies) and obviously they gave me the 5 year one based on the fact that i had held Thai DL already more than a year. Even when it was several years ago and i had to take all the tests from the beginning...

Edited by MJo

What do I need to bring in to the US Embassy to get the "Affidavit of Residency" letter?

Also, if I live in another province can I still apply for my licence at a Bankok DLT? It sounds like the Chatuchak office is easier to deal with than the one up here in Issan.

I've just returned from the D.O.T. office in Patumthani (Klong See) having been issued with 5 year car and motorbike licenses. Required documents:-

1. Old 1 year licenses - both of which expired 11 months ago. Whoops.

2. Passport copies - as per usual

3. Certificate of Residency - issued by Soi Suan Phlu. cost B20 for postage. No problem accepting this at the above office.

4. Medical certificate - apparently this office requires one every time.

5. Total charge B1060 for both.

In and out within 45 minutes.

I'm now the proud owner of two shiny new 5 year licenses. :o

SL.

Ah sorry if this has been asked but I seem to have everything barring the international driving licence, I do have a valid UK driving licence. I read you have to apply for an International driving licence in person, can that be obtained in Thailand or will I have to go back to the UK just to get that in order to skip the tests, or maybe I was thinking they might accept a nobel prize and 15 degrees in various sciences instead, hey ho! great if anyone knows about the international... ahh whoops just spotted apply by post:

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp004.html

Answered my own question ah well maybe help someone else.

mozzi

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

Thanks very much for sharing this information. I received a Thai drivers license (let my license from USA lapse - forgot to renew) in BKK on Sukhumvit Soi 99. After which I asked for an international drivers license. One person, at one office, told me I must go back to my home country. I was hoping to explain that I had a Thai license. But apparently I did not succeed. Later at another area we asked another worker about getting an international license. She told me I had to have a Thai license for 5 years then I could apply for an international license. YIKE????? I wish I could understand how they come to these conclusions and tell people such things???? Still confused.

Keoki

Just wanted to add that I just received my Thai motorbike licence today from the Chatuchak office which I did from scratch.

For me the process involved showing copies of my passport, WP and medical certificate (there's a counter where you can get this done on the same floor). Because I don't have a UK licence I then had to do the theory and practical test (easy but not impossible to fail). Then I went back to the place where I originaly handed in my documents and she took my picture and after taking 155 Baht gave me one of the new style driving licences.

Later at another area we asked another worker about getting an international license. She told me I had to have a Thai license for 5 years then I could apply for an international license.

Probably a language problem. You must have a 5 year Thai licence in order to be able to get an IDP :o

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

i notice that this was written almost 3 years ago and things change, however i can confirm i did not have an idp when i obtained my license, i did not have to sit a written test or a driving test, all i had was a uk drivers license, i had to do the eye test, colour blindness test, reaction test and the other one, that was all.

when i was in sukhumvit soi 99 the other week, written in english on the right hand side as soon as you have gone in the main door are the requirements, i saw no mention of an idp.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

Thanks very much for sharing this information. I received a Thai drivers license (let my license from USA lapse - forgot to renew) in BKK on Sukhumvit Soi 99. After which I asked for an international drivers license. One person, at one office, told me I must go back to my home country. I was hoping to explain that I had a Thai license. But apparently I did not succeed. Later at another area we asked another worker about getting an international license. She told me I had to have a Thai license for 5 years then I could apply for an international license. YIKE????? I wish I could understand how they come to these conclusions and tell people such things???? Still confused.

Keoki

hi all

Ive done a little search but cant find anything, sorry if this question has been asked before .

i have a 5 Year Thai Driving Licences, the old paper type that you get laminated.

i want the new credit card type one ,

can just got an exchange my old one for new , or do i need all the documents again

thanks

jay