Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Hello all,

I am very confused about what documents are required.

1. My situation is that my one year license is valid until tomorrow (15th). Can I apply tomorrow for a five year one tomorrow or do I have to wait until next week? Surely this means I would be driving illegally over the weekend.

2. Is a medical certificate necessary for the conversion from a one year license to a five year one?

3. When I went to get my one year license I was told I did NOT need a letter from my embassy. My passport has the necessary visa and I have a valid receipt from Immigration describing my address from my last 90 day report (TM47). I report at the One Stop Centre at Chumchari Square.

3. I went to the Mo Chit office for the first license, is there somewhere closer as I live in Nontaburi?

Would someone please clarify the situation for me please. TIA

I renewed my 1 year temporary licence to a 5 year permanent licence today at Hang Dong, Chiang Mai. I was renewing 2 days before expiry of my 1 year licence, so you can renew before our licence expires.

You need:-

Residence letter from immigration (500 baht at CM immigration)

A Medical certificate from hospital or clinic (100 baht)

Copy of passport data page

Copy of 'O' visa

Copy of extension of stay stamp.

Temporary licence

If you are doing two licences, copies of residence letter and medical certificate are acceptable for the second licence.

Complete an application form for each licence at the office.

No reaction or colour test necessary.

Pay the fees (approx 300baht for motorcycle and 500baht for car)

Have your photo taken and walk out with your full 5 year licence(s) valid from the date of expiry of your temporary licence until the date of your birthday 5 years hence...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all,

I am very confused about what documents are required.

1. My situation is that my one year license is valid until tomorrow (15th). Can I apply tomorrow for a five year one tomorrow or do I have to wait until next week? Surely this means I would be driving illegally over the weekend.

2. Is a medical certificate necessary for the conversion from a one year license to a five year one?

3. When I went to get my one year license I was told I did NOT need a letter from my embassy. My passport has the necessary visa and I have a valid receipt from Immigration describing my address from my last 90 day report (TM47). I report at the One Stop Centre at Chumchari Square.

3. I went to the Mo Chit office for the first license, is there somewhere closer as I live in Nontaburi?

Would someone please clarify the situation for me please. TIA

I renewed my 1 year temporary licence to a 5 year permanent licence today at Hang Dong, Chiang Mai. I was renewing 2 days before expiry of my 1 year licence, so you can renew before our licence expires.

You need:-

Residence letter from immigration (500 baht at CM immigration)

A Medical certificate from hospital or clinic (100 baht)

Copy of passport data page

Copy of 'O' visa

Copy of extension of stay stamp.

Temporary licence

If you are doing two licences, copies of residence letter and medical certificate are acceptable for the second licence.

Complete an application form for each licence at the office.

No reaction or colour test necessary.

Pay the fees (approx 300baht for motorcycle and 500baht for car)

Have your photo taken and walk out with your full 5 year licence(s) valid from the date of expiry of your temporary licence until the date of your birthday 5 years hence...

At Pattaya make sure you actually have copies of your old licence(s) as they keep those and give you your old licence back - or they did two weeks ago renewing my 1 year.

I went to DOT Mo Chit for my renewal, one year to five year. Actually the license is valid until January 2018, my birthday. They wanted a medical certificate and I had to do the reaction tests etc again. Also I didn't need a letter from Immigration stating my address. A current Work Permit is sufficient. Cost was 605 baht, 500 for the license, 100 for the photo, not sure what the other 5 was for though.

@OLDAUSSIE, I also have a Khmer licence, and for some reason Avis Thailand didn't want to accept it back in 2010 so I showed them my Aussie one and they accepted that, but since then there has been a change in design of the Khmer licence, making the licence fully bilingual and much more professional looking than the Thai one (I have the new design Khmer licence now). I also have a one year Thai licence, which I intend on renewing in August. Unless none of the poor Khmers in Thailand have licences and/or aren't seeking a Thai licence, it seems very unlikely that a Thai DL office wouldn't have seen a licence from a neighboring country, particularly since there are far more Khmers in Thailand than there are westerners from any one particular country. Sounds like some disgruntled government official was looking to make your life difficult, or doesn't like Cambodia.

I have three questions regarding my application for a 5 year Thai driving license. My first 1 year license is about to expire (on July 7th.).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

1. I intend to get a confirmation of my address from the British Embassy. Should that letter be in Thai?

2. Can I apply in any Department of Transport office, or must I apply in the same district as my registered address (Nonthaburi, in my case)?

3. Is it correct, as I've read on this forum, that I do in fact have 1 year in which to apply after the expiration of my current 1 year license.?

I have "O" visa, wanna apply to 5 years driving licence from the Temporary car DL who was expired on 18 May 2012, in Pattaya

Now is too late or not for apply to 5 years, or get only 1 year again only ? whistling.gif

No problem, you can apply.

I have three questions regarding my application for a 5 year Thai driving license. My first 1 year license is about to expire (on July 7th.).

1. I intend to get a confirmation of my address from the British Embassy. Should that letter be in Thai?

2. Can I apply in any Department of Transport office, or must I apply in the same district as my registered address (Nonthaburi, in my case)?

3. Is it correct, as I've read on this forum, that I do in fact have 1 year in which to apply after the expiration of my current 1 year license.?

I will mention first what can be confusing to posters asking questions here.

You should bear in mind that information given in some posts here are from different DLT's around Thailand and they all have there different ways of doing things.

1. Get a translation done as it may be needed at the DLT you attend.

2. Apply at the DLT office or offices your address comes under.

3. You can have up to nearly 1 year on renewing a 5 year one but I don't know whether it would be wise thing to continuing driving when in Thailand and the renewal is due.

i don't know about 1 year license l was in Thailand and able to renewed mine on the expiry date.

lt's no big deal getting licenses here all you need is the correct paperwork and patience. :D

Yesterday I renewed my 5 year licence, for another 5 years. I did the renewal at Nakhon Pathom (Truck Terminal near Mahidol University Salaya).

Arrived at 9:15 am

What I needed.

- Expiring Licence

- Photocopy of Passport (Front page, Visa page, Last Entry Stamp page, and last Entry Card page

- Photocopy of Work Permit (First 3 pages, which include word address, and I also copied all 10 years of my renewal stamps, just to be safe)

- Baht 505 for Licence Fee, and Baht 100 for photo/card fee - total 605 baht.

I also had my passport and work permit, but they didn't look at those. I did not bring a medical form, and it was not asked for.

I took my materials to the desk, and filled out a checklist form, and told me to go upstairs. I took a color identification test (red, green, yellow), and then was asked to watch the 1.5 hour driving safety video. The video was completely in Thai, so they gave me a book of Thai road signs to thumb through that had definitions in English. Actually, I sat out in the hallway during the video, because the room was full, and they knew I didnt' understand a word of it. So wife and I sat and played on the iPad for 90 minutes. At the conclusion of the video, they brought up the paperwork forms, in stacks of 10 at a time, and called people into the adjoining room. My group had 70+ people and I was dead last. Took another hour plus of waiting, and finally got into the room, waited again, and then - took photo, handed paperwork for confirmation, and had licence printed and handed over. (That was fast - less than 5 minutes from photo to licence in hand).

Left the office at 12:30pm. so it took over 3 hours from start to finish.

SSL

Edited by somtumlion

Well there you go !!!! As I said before not all DLT offices carry out the same procedure.

Renewed yesterday 5year licenses for motorcycle and car at Sukhothai DLT.

With passport copies, Photo ID page & number, last entry page, page showing 1 year extension.

Photocopy's of old licenses & originals.

Photocopy of yellow book. ( same as proof of address).

See lady at front desk 2nd floor, she checked everything out, showed me a book for me to sign in arrival time.

Showed me 6 coloured dotted sheets with numbers in which I read out to her.

Told to go and wait in video room for 1 hour.

Mrs got some drinks and snacks for lunch from outside.

1 hour finished when to counter in next room paid money 505 car 255 m/bike 100 for pictures.

Picture taken new licenses issued, 1hr.20min in all.

I will mention first what can be confusing to posters asking questions here.

You should bear in mind that information given in some posts here are from different DLT's around Thailand and they all have there different ways of doing things.

1. Get a translation done as it may be needed at the DLT you attend.

2. Apply at the DLT office or offices your address comes under.

3. You can have up to nearly 1 year on renewing a 5 year one but I don't know whether it would be wise thing to continuing driving when in Thailand and the renewal is due.

i don't know about 1 year license l was in Thailand and able to renewed mine on the expiry date.

lt's no big deal getting licenses here all you need is the correct paperwork and patience. biggrin.png

Am grateful for your response to my questions. It all sounds like pretty sensible advice to me. So, many thanks.

Today I get successufuly renew to 5 years DL/car from 1 year DL expired on 18 May 2012.

At Banglamung LTO, 655 Baht. But had to pass again the test about vision & reaction !

Happy birthday for 18th of May. :D

I forgot to say when renewing my 5 year license I went a couple of days after my birthday and got nearly 6 years.

I don't know if they do that in all DLT's though. :)

Today I get successufuly renew to 5 years DL/car from 1 year DL expired on 18 May 2012.

At Banglamung LTO, 655 Baht. But had to pass again the test about vision & reaction !

Happy birthday for 18th of May. biggrin.png

I forgot to say when renewing my 5 year license I went a couple of days after my birthday and got nearly 6 years.

I don't know if they do that in all DLT's though. smile.png

Yes, I think that is standard.

Just a tip: I had to renew my passport making the details on my 5 year license (with one year to run) wrong. Someone Who Usually Knows advised me to get it updated as like many I rely on it as ID. The logic seemed sound so I went by the main license office in Chiang Mai who said that I should just keep a copy of the old passport along with the new one and show both if the matter came up.

What you'd do if you lost your old passport I don't know but maybe now's the time to put an extra copy aside.

Just a tip: I had to renew my passport making the details on my 5 year license (with one year to run) wrong. Someone Who Usually Knows advised me to get it updated as like many I rely on it as ID. The logic seemed sound so I went by the main license office in Chiang Mai who said that I should just keep a copy of the old passport along with the new one and show both if the matter came up.

What you'd do if you lost your old passport I don't know but maybe now's the time to put an extra copy aside.

Exactly what happened to me. Lost my passport 2 weeks ago and now I have to get a new one in my homecountry end of this month. Luckily I have a copy of the passport, will ask later at the Chiang Mai license office next month. (5 years license)

can i get a thai DL with just a 30 day entry stamp ?

You can get an address verification from immigration, and with that you could get a Thai DL.

My bet would be (thinking you're staying on Phuket) that on Phuket it may be more difficult than in Phang Nga.

Today I went to District 2 office at Talingchan to renew my 1 year licences for car and motorcycle and to make 5 year licences now for both.

Took all copies documents with me, including Embassy letter, for address- i must congratulate them on an excellent service and a friendly service with a smile. I was tested again (colour test now traffic lights) and brake test / alinement test.

I walked out with new licences in 1 hour total (i went around 12-00pm) it was not busy at all. only about 20 people waiting to test, but the tests were very quick this time.

Excellent service at this office, in Talinchan

Applied for my first drivers license today. Would not accept my Aussie license as does not explain class of vehicle. Tried to search for answer in this post but unsuccessful. Could one of you experts assist? Trying to avoid the 6 hour ++ of tests etc

Plan B, Has anyone had any success using their Khmer drivers license since oldaussie tried in may.

Did not take it today as thought Aussie one would be ok.

Have a QLD license and went with a Thai person, would not accept the aussie license and was told had to do driving test and computer multiple choice test both motorbike and car ( ie take test twice) in addition to the colour reaction test, plus reading the rules and the video. All other docs were in order.

Thai friend and I argued to a point... But no success.

Have a QLD license and went with a Thai person, would not accept the aussie license and was told had to do driving test and computer multiple choice test both motorbike and car ( ie take test twice) in addition to the colour reaction test, plus reading the rules and the video. All other docs were in order.

Thai friend and I argued to a point... But no success.

It's the same position you found yourself in the first time if you have a validated photo card license like one from the UK it has all the class vehicles you have a full license for.

If like you say on OZ licenses it doesn't, so what it is probably needed from Oz is an International Drivers Permit which will confirm the correct details on it.

My Oz mate just done his motorcycle test in a Thai DLT and it was easy.

He is going back to Oz sometime for holiday and will get an IDP so he can get his Thai car license.

I have hit a stumblimg block in changing my now expired one year to a five year liscence .

I was refused a letter stating residence by Phibun Immigration Office . They said I would only recieve this letter sfter I had been resident in Thailand for 90 days .

This a bit of a problem because I am only here for another 10 days . I am on an non O (marriage/visit family) single entry issued by Hong Kong Royal Thai Consulate .

Is there another letter that will satisfy the Liscencing office that I can get rather quickly ?

Am I able , on a non O , to request such a letter at the UK Embassy in BK ?

Are the local town Police able to issue such a letter ?

Thanks for any pointerrs and advice .

onionluke .

1. I have hit a stumblimg block in changing my now expired one year to a five year liscence .

2. I was refused a letter stating residence by Phibun Immigration Office . They said I would only recieve this letter sfter I had been resident in Thailand for 90 days .

3. This a bit of a problem because I am only here for another 10 days . I am on an non O (marriage/visit family) single entry issued by Hong Kong Royal Thai Consulate .

4. Is there another letter that will satisfy the Liscencing office that I can get rather quickly ?

5. Am I able , on a non O , to request such a letter at the UK Embassy in BK ?

6. Are the local town Police able to issue such a letter ?

7. Thanks for any pointerrs and advice .

onionluke .

1. You have up to a year to change it after that you will get another 1 year license.

2. Maybe that is there ruling is there another immigration office that you can use.

3. The problem depends how long you will be gone, on return come with the same visa.

4. You have answered your question stated in 6. Yes.

5. Dunno, maybe, why not give em a ring. 1033002 & 3058333

6. Yes. :D

7. Your welcome. :D

hi guys,

I'll have to renew my 1 year driving license that'll expire next Wednesday. I've gone to the Songkhla Immigration Office to get the TM47 form, and they said that they don't do that and to try at my amphoe. Now that I've gone to my Amphoe, they don't know anything about such form and where I can get this Certificate of Residence.

Question, if I get myself a yellow book, can I use this instead of the certificate of residence?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by xtr3mx7

hi guys,

I'll have to renew my 1 year driving license that'll expire next Wednesday. I've gone to the Songkhla Immigration Office to get the TM47 form, and they said that they don't do that and to try at my amphoe. Now that I've gone to my Amphoe, they don't know anything about such form and where I can get this Certificate of Residence.

Question, if I get myself a yellow book, can I use this instead of the certificate of residence?

Thanks in advance.

A TM47 form is a 90 day notification of address form to send to your immigration office covering your address.

It's not a certificate of address it's a letter of proof of address which you can get from your local government office or at your local police station.

Yes !! If you get a yellow book this serves as a proof of address.

Edited by Kwasaki

Just renewed from one year to a five Year Thai Driving Licence at Morchit.

The question I would like to ask is this.

Assuming later I lost my licence.

What is the procedure? Have I got to go through all the unnecssary "tests"

all over again? Or I just have to apply for a duplicate without going through

all the "tests" once again. Can I also do it in other parts of Bangkok instead

of Morchit?

Please kindly advise.

Thanking you all in advance.

Just renewed from one year to a five Year Thai Driving Licence at Morchit.

The question I would like to ask is this.

Assuming later I lost my licence.

What is the procedure? Have I got to go through all the unnecssary "tests"

all over again? Or I just have to apply for a duplicate without going through

all the "tests" once again. Can I also do it in other parts of Bangkok instead

of Morchit?

Please kindly advise.

Thanking you all in advance.

See this thread.