Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Where is the contradiction?

If you have extension of stay, no problem. But you don't mention how you're staying in country now.

In my original post I said retirement but no problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sorry, but this way nobody can answer your question.

Are you staying here on retirement visa or extension of stay based on retirement? In other words, do you have to report to immigration every 90 days or leave the country every 90 days? If leaving the country every 90 days you're officially not eligible for a 5 year license, if reporting every 90 days you are eligible.

stevenl I am confused. What are you calling a retirement visa - I thought there was no such thing? On an extension of stay based on retirement (which I am guessing Robby nz has) yes he has to report but he could also leave regularly and theoretically never actually report if he was so inclined smile.png .

I'm using those tetmsinologies to try to explain.

He had to tell us how he stays here, this way it is and stays confusing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yep possibly but it's worth a shot if you don't want to take the driving test's

should have made it a little clearer, I did also have the other necisarry stuff, a Non-Im visa and a letter from British Embassey stating residence, they accepted the photocard licence instead of a IDP and didn't need to get it translated!

what if your licence has expired? I have an Australian drivers licence which expired 5 months ago. Been making enquiries about getting it renewed from here but chances look pretty grim and I don't fancy spending 30,000baht going back to Aust. just to renew licence. I may have to unless there are alternatives, like Koa San Road licences. Are they any good or are they not worth the risk?

I don't actually want to drive in Thailand so wonder if a Khosan Road license be good enough to get me the Thai price or am I just being stupid. I'm sure TV posters will let me know very quickly if this is the case but I am genuinely interested to hear if anyone has tried this.

Yes, correct, the temporary license is 2 years these days in stead of the traditional 1 year.

Hi stevenl - when did that change as I do not remember seeing anybody mention it before?
Don't know since when, but I was told this at the dlt, since confirmed in another thread.

Also just wrote this in another thread where a poster wrote about his two year license:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797838-first-thai-driving-licence/#entry9547337

A press release from the DLT dated 18 March 2015 confirms that all temporary licenses are now valid for two years.

In Thai only:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4867:-1-2-1-23-2558-&catid=48:%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%98%E0%B9%8C&Itemid=87

It came into effect on Monday, March 23 2015.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Apologies for appearing to be a bit of a thicko........................

I got both my bike and car licences on 28th January 2015 (this year). Both are 1 year Temporary licences expiring 28th January 2016. Are you saying that I can assume these are now 2 year licences and will not expire next year 2016 but now expire 2017???

I got both my bike and car licences on 28th January 2015 (this year). Both are 1 year Temporary licences expiring 28th January 2016. Are you saying that I can assume these are now 2 year licences and will not expire next year 2016 but now expire 2017???

No.

And of course I mean for newly issued licenses from then on!

Edited by KhunBENQ

No.

Still a mystery to me why they don't issue a 5 year license from the get-go, especially since upgrading to a 5 year license after the 1 year license (now switching to a 2 year license) requires no special testing....and a 1 year license has no restrictions as it's just like a 5 year license except with a shorter lifespan.

stevenl I am confused. What are you calling a retirement visa - I thought there was no such thing? On an extension of stay based on retirement (which I am guessing Robby nz has) yes he has to report but he could also leave regularly and theoretically never actually report if he was so inclined smile.png .

I'm using those tetmsinologies to try to explain.

He had to tell us how he stays here, this way it is and stays confusing.

In principle it is very simple.

If the OP went to a Thai Embassy/Consul before coming to Thailand and has to leave the country every 90 days (except for Non-OA) he as a VISA

If the OP received a extension inside Thailand (based on retirement/marriage etc) he has a EXTENSION BASED ON.....

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 year temp. licenses for car and motorcycle that i got 30th march 2015 (and end 30th march 2017). Can i turn them into 5 year drivers license after one year (march 2016) or do i have to wait util 2017? If i do have to wait until 2017 how long before the expire do i need to visit the department of transportation to get 5 year licenses? And what if i'm not in Thailand when the licenses expire, do i have to do all the tests again and get new temp. licenses?

No.

Still a mystery to me why they don't issue a 5 year license from the get-go, especially since upgrading to a 5 year license after the 1 year license (now switching to a 2 year license) requires no special testing....and a 1 year license has no restrictions as it's just like a 5 year license except with a shorter lifespan.

Not true. The initial licence is temporary and has no validity outside Thailand.

I have read a lot of this thread but some of it is rather old and I am not sure about the current requirements so I hope I am not out of line here if I ask for help in determining the exact current requirements for obtaining a Thai driver license for the first time under my circumstances - which are:

I have a non-immigrant visa, with annual extensions for retirement. I do make 90-day reports.

I have a UK photo-card license which expires permanently in June, 2016 because of age. I believe it cannot be renewed without my physical presence in the UK. The remaining validity of this license is now less than one year - is that a problem? I do not have an International driving permit.

I live in rented accommodation in Bangkok. I do not at present own a vehicle.

Now for my questions:

1. Do I need a Residency Certificate? If so, how and where do I get one. How can I prove residency?

2. Do I need a medical certificate? Which doctors are approved for this? Must the certificate be on a specific form?

3. I plan to apply at the office near MoChit BTS. Can the application forms be completed in English there? Or must I take a translator with me? Alternatively can the form be downloaded somewhere and completed in advance, with help from a Thai speaker?

4. Will I have to take both written and practical tests, or the written test only? Can I take the written test in English, or is a translator required?

5. Anything else I need to know?

I have read a lot of this thread but some of it is rather old and I am not sure about the current requirements so I hope I am not out of line here if I ask for help in determining the exact current requirements for obtaining a Thai driver license for the first time under my circumstances - which are:

I have a non-immigrant visa, with annual extensions for retirement. I do make 90-day reports.

I have a UK photo-card license which expires permanently in June, 2016 because of age. I believe it cannot be renewed without my physical presence in the UK. The remaining validity of this license is now less than one year - is that a problem? I do not have an International driving permit.

Now for my questions:

1. Do I need a Residency Certificate? If so, how and where do I get one. How can I prove residency?

2. Do I need a medical certificate? Which doctors are approved for this? Must the certificate be on a specific form?

3. I plan to apply at the office near MoChit BTS. Can the application forms be completed in English there? Or must I take a translator with me? Alternatively can the form be downloaded somewhere and completed in advance, with help from a Thai speaker?

4. Will I have to take both written and practical tests, or the written test only? Can I take the written test in English, or is a translator required?

1. yes

2. yes, any doctor will do

3. no need for a translator, the staff will help you.

4. if you're lucky you get away with no tests, but you may also have to do both written and practical. If required, written test is available in English, see the questions in another thread here on TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Now for my questions:

1. yes

2. yes, any doctor will do

3. no need for a translator, the staff will help you.

4. if you're lucky you get away with no tests, but you may also have to do both written and practical. If required, written test is available in English, see the questions in another thread here on TV.

Any doctor will not do. Pattaya DLT refused to accept my medical certificate from clinic in Chonburi, told me to get one from Pattaya. We drove up to the Chonburi DLT and no problem with the medical certificate.

The problem there was they wanted a legalised translation of my IDP. My wife complained and asked to see the manager who agreed and said it wasn't necessary. All a bit hit and miss.

Does anyone know if the Chonburi office will accept the yellow house book as proof of residence? , apparently the Pattaya office will not accept it but insist on a certificate from immigration which is issued using yellow house book as proof!

My car and bike licences both expire next Friday, Aug 14th. Can I go on that day or do I have to wait until after they have expired? If so, as they aren't open at the weekend, the first day I could go will be Aug 17th so won't be legal if I need to ride/drive the weekend of 15-16 Aug?

You have one year after expiry to renew without "penalty" (retest or the like).

Are these temporary licenses or "5 year"? (latter one meaning that Aug 14 is your birthday).

In the case of 5 year it is a good idea to go after the expiry as you get almost 6 years of validity (until the 5th birthday following the application).

To be on the safe side you can go now.

Up to one month ahead as far as I remember.

In this case you get just about 5 years of validity.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Last December the Thai wife and I did our second 5 year renewal in Bangkok (KhetTalingchan)....our licenses were expiring within days of each other in late Dec and early Jan. She had a drivers license and I had drivers and motorcycle licenses to renew. Before actually doing the renewals in mid Dec 14 we had dropped by the drivers license office months earlier just to ask how far in advance we could do the renewals. The office said up to 90 days before license expiration, watch an approx one hour safe driving video (it was a waste), no medical certificate required, a simple vision depth and motor skill response test (easy), no written/practical tests...and when we did go do our license renewal that's how it worked out.

We renewed before they actually expired because we didn't want to be driving with expired licenses.

Does anyone know if the Chonburi office will accept the yellow house book as proof of residence? , apparently the Pattaya office will not accept it but insist on a certificate from immigration which is issued using yellow house book as proof!

There is a fairly good chance that they would but you ought to ring them up. I had to go to immigration anyway and just got the certificate rather than mess about. Chonburi is a bit chaotic at the moment as the have set temporary arrangements while they put up a new building. There is no seating so you have to stand during waiting times, i was about 40 minutes to register and do the eye and reaction tests, then about an hour to get the licence issued. Good thing is that there is no video session.

I allowed my Thai driving license obtained in Bangkok to expire more than 12 months ago. I went to the Phuket DLT where we now live and in filing papers including my Hong Kong International Driving Permit, (perhaps foolishly) I disclosed my expired license.

After a rigorous 20 minute search on a smart phone, the head officer conceded that Hong Kong was still a contracting party to the International Convention on Road Traffic 1949 but then insisted that because I had previously held a Thai driving license (having already completed the reaction and colour blindness test, filed the Certificate of Residence and Medical Certificate) I was still required to sit the written exam/test and complete the driving test - which incidentally is/was a complete volte face from the previous visit (the week before), when I was informed all I had to do was produce an original IDP (the original had not yet arrived from Hong Kong) having left papers including the expired Thai license with her.

I had filed a Certificate of Residence (Phuket) because in the meantime I had resigned from my position in Bangkok (thereby terminating the Non Immigrant B Visa & Work permit) and am now on a 30 day (within time) Tourist Visa/Extension.

Three questions arise and if anyone can help I would be grateful for advice: (1) is the DLT correct in saying that they are entitled to ignore the IDP having previously held a Thai driving license? and (2) If the DLT in Phuket has informed me correctly, is the answer different given that I now hold a Tourist Visa/extension as opposed to my previous Non Imm. B status? and finally (3) Given I have a Phuket Certificate of Residence, is there any reason why I cannot use that document when applying to the Bangkok DLT, where I am heading tomorrow.

Any help appreciated

JR

Hmmm, having just realised that I stupidly let my Thai licence expire just over 12 months ago (blame it on baby brain, I was preggers at the time)...I have a yellow tabiaan baan but don't current reside in Thailand as I'm working regionally. I don't have a spouse visa as I enter Thailand on a visa sponsored by my employer. Any idea whether they will let me even sit for a new licence, given that I'm not technically resident?

Hi, i changed my category from O to B and i had to go to my home country and back. Phew.

Been living in Thailand for 10 years and i already had a 5 year driving license expiring this september.

I just came into Thailand with a single entry NON immigrant B visa valid for 90 days for employment.

I already received my work permit.

I have not done my extension of stay yet.

Would i still be able to renew my driving license or do i need to get the extension of stay first?

Thanks

Hi, i changed my category from O to B and i had to go to my home country and back. Phew.

Been living in Thailand for 10 years and i already had a 5 year driving license expiring this september.

I just came into Thailand with a single entry NON immigrant B visa valid for 90 days for employment.

I already received my work permit.

I have not done my extension of stay yet.

Would i still be able to renew my driving license or do i need to get the extension of stay first?

Thanks

You have workpermit and non-immigrant visa, so should be ok for a new 5 year.

Hello!

I am started to make an online test for myself cause i didn't find it on the web. Decided to share it with others if it could be useful.

First 30 questions from PDF are already done and available for testing. You can download PDF's here also.

I am open to all feedback and suggestions how can i make it better or maybe it's useless and i shouldn't continue.

Next I want to add other questions and general information about how to get the drivers license in Pattaya (addresses, documents and other information that is spread out around the forums).

You can check it here: http://thaidriving.info/ (no commercial interests, so i hope i wont be blocked for advertising).

P. S. Sorry for my English, it's not my main language ;–)

Many thanks to Rokir, this test is a very good idea indeed. I thought I knew all the answers, but I answered only 26 correctly (87%) so would have failed. There is nothing obvious about many of these questions! I need to practice until I can get them all right.

By the way, I think question 29 has the wrong picture? None of the answers made any sense (but I somehow guessed the correct answer anyway).

I am looking forward to practicing with the other two sets of 30 questions, when you get the time to add them.

Many thanks to Rokir, this test is a very good idea indeed. I thought I knew all the answers, but I answered only 26 correctly (87%) so would have failed. There is nothing obvious about many of these questions! I need to practice until I can get them all right.

By the way, I think question 29 has the wrong picture? None of the answers made any sense (but I somehow guessed the correct answer anyway).

I am looking forward to practicing with the other two sets of 30 questions, when you get the time to add them.

Do a search here on TV, sites with the questions have been mentioned quite often already. I like Rokir's test though.

Edited by stevenl

Last December the Thai wife and I did our second 5 year renewal in Bangkok (KhetTalingchan)....our licenses were expiring within days of each other in late Dec and early Jan. She had a drivers license and I had drivers and motorcycle licenses to renew. Before actually doing the renewals in mid Dec 14 we had dropped by the drivers license office months earlier just to ask how far in advance we could do the renewals. The office said up to 90 days before license expiration, watch an approx one hour safe driving video (it was a waste), no medical certificate required, a simple vision depth and motor skill response test (easy), no written/practical tests...and when we did go do our license renewal that's how it worked out.

We renewed before they actually expired because we didn't want to be driving with expired licenses.

Same experience yesterday (Not BKK - Outback Thailand).

Loved the video or what I could hear of it over the handphones of the other attendees. Video only lasted 40 mins so then watched 20 min video about bus travel eg. how to use fold down cup holder, overhead luggage storage, emergency exits and most importantly telephone etiquette. All spoken in Thai but thank goodness the bus part had English(sort-of) sub-titles.

On my mother's dying grave.

Edited by andrew55