First Thai Driving Licence.

crazyfalang

I want to apply for my first Thai Driving Licence. I have my UK Driving Licence Plus my International Driving Permit. I also have my Non-Immigrant Visa. Now the question is am i able to apply for a 5 year Licence seeing that i have a Non-Immigrant Visa or do i have to apply for a 1 year driving licence then after that has expired apply for another Non-Immigrant Visa then be able to apply for a 5 year driving licence..As always your Comments are greatly Appreciated..wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Went to the licensing office this morning. Had all the the paperwork, IDP, Visa, etc. Apparently (in Pattaya at least) you have to do the entire process (colour vision, depth perception, written test, etc) even if you have a valid license and International Permit. Was kind of hoping that all I'd have to do was sign a paper, pay a fee and walk out with a shiny new 1 year license. No such luck !

Went to the licensing office this morning. Had all the the paperwork, IDP, Visa, etc. Apparently (in Pattaya at least) you have to do the entire process (colour vision, depth perception, written test, etc) even if you have a valid license and International Permit. Was kind of hoping that all I'd have to do was sign a paper, pay a fee and walk out with a shiny new 1 year license. No such luck !

That is not the case.. did you perhaps forget to bring certified translations of your documents?

Regards,

Kurt

That's the norm, don't know why you'd think they'd make an exception for you.

Is the international driving permit required If you have a current American drivers license if you want to get a Thai driving license without taking a driving test?

Depends on the office.

In most offices they'll accept the IDP. Especially US licenses are tricky because of the differences between the states, but with an IDP it will quite often be accepted.

Everyone has to do the colour test and the braking test. Sometimes the depth perception apparatus is not working. I am not sure though why you were required to do any written test. I got my licence a month ago in Pattaya based on a IDP and photo Licence + health cert and letter of residence and there was no question of a written test. I believe the "written" test is actually done on a machine

You need to be patient in that it can take all morning especially if there are a lot of people but the process works and with the right documents you should be able to walk out the door with the licence in your grubby little hands on the same day

all I did was produce my car/bike/heavy international and aussie licence, do the colour.reflex and depth test and that was it, was given bike and car but the truck guy wanted me to take him for a drive(cash handover) but I told him to shove it where the sun dont shine, these idiots cant drive trucks for sh*t and there was no way I was going to hand over a cash incentive for something I had been doing for around 30 years. One year first up then a 5 years the next time, still had to do the basic eye, depth, reflex tests again though.

Edited by seajae

I've been through this just before xmas last year in Pattaya. It's a longwinded 3 day process.

Day 1:

The first day you come in and find out what's going on for you, maybe you miss something, maybe you have a IDP or not, but most important, you have to sign up for the next day video lesson and color blindness tests. You get a yellow receipt which you have to show next morning so you can jump through the queue straight to the classroom on the first floor. Everyone has to do this.

Day 2:

Second day, everyone had to sit through the 4 hour video's. From 9-12 and then after lunch from 13pm till 14.30 or so. The first video is the most informative, the second video showing the same things as the first, kind of repetitive and everyone lost quickly interest, are chatting around or sleeping. The afternoon video is a kind of Thai soap equivalent, family drama and what can happen around breaking the laws on the road. It's at least a little entertaining compared to the other videos, so I will not share too much detail ;-)

In the morning, half hour into the first video, a lady interrupted and had everyone get out to do the color blindness test and some sort of 'distance judgement' test on a machine. Took around 10 minutes or so.

The whole thing is finished around 14.30pm.

Now the important part: All people with valid International Driving Licenses could do the written test on the computers, and, provided they passed, got their Thai license and are finished. No practical test required.

Day 3:

Everyone else without IDP or IDL, was scheduled to come next morning to either do their practical Motorbike driving and/or Car driving test.

The people who passed the practical test in the morning, are scheduled to do the written computer test in the afternoon. If you do your car & motorbike license at once, you have to do the same test twice. One for the car, one for the motorbike.

The people who failed the practical test were not allowed to take the written exam, but were re-scheduled to come back one week later for another practical test.

Overall, even with the rule changes, it's not difficult, but all very time consuming. For sure, if you don't study the written exam questions beforehand, you have a big risk of failing the written exam.

Loads of people, one after another failed it, both, Thais & Farangs.

Just study these exam questions: http://phuket.dlt.go.th/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&ltemid65

They all show up 90% the same questions as in the exam, many multiple times. There is no need to fail if you prepare yourself a little bit. 45 out of 50 questions in 60 min. have you passed.

(The exam and videos are based on the following Land Traffic Act: http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf). If you study the test exam questions, you should be out of the computer room within 15 min.

If you are interested, someone posted the practical motorbike test on youtube:

As last tip, to reduce more risk of unexpected failure, no matter how great of a driver you are, if you have a big car or pickup, don't bring it to the practical test. The parkour is pretty narrow & tiny and it's much easier to just rent a small Honda or something for 300Baht for the test. You can do this outside of the Land Transport Office.

So you get your 1st year temp driver license, which you can renew one year later to a 5 year license. I'm not sure about the requirements, but it was my understanding that you have to do the written exam again, could be wrong though on this.

In any case, be prepared and you're done fast. Fail to plan = plan to fail. Good luck to all!

Edited by TG911

Everyone has to do the colour test and the braking test. Sometimes the depth perception apparatus is not working. I am not sure though why you were required to do any written test. I got my licence a month ago in Pattaya based on a IDP and photo Licence + health cert and letter of residence and there was no question of a written test. I believe the "written" test is actually done on a machine

You need to be patient in that it can take all morning especially if there are a lot of people but the process works and with the right documents you should be able to walk out the door with the licence in your grubby little hands on the same day

'Sometimes the depth perception apparatus is not working.' I'm fairly sure most Thai drivers' depth perception apparatus is rarely ever in working order.

I've been through this just before xmas last year in Pattaya. It's a longwinded 3 day process.

Day 1:

The first day you come in and find out what's going on for you, maybe you miss something, maybe you have a IDP or not, but most important, you have to sign up for the next day video lesson and color blindness tests. You get a yellow receipt which you have to show next morning so you can jump through the queue straight to the classroom on the first floor. Everyone has to do this.

Day 2:

Second day, everyone had to sit through the 4 hour video's. From 9-12 and then after lunch from 13pm till 14.30 or so. The first video is the most informative, the second video showing the same things as the first, kind of repetitive and everyone lost quickly interest, are chatting around or sleeping. The afternoon video is a kind of Thai soap equivalent, family drama and what can happen around breaking the laws on the road. It's at least a little entertaining compared to the other videos, so I will not share too much detail ;-)

In the morning, half hour into the first video, a lady interrupted and had everyone get out to do the color blindness test and some sort of 'distance judgement' test on a machine. Took around 10 minutes or so.

Now the important part: All people with valid International Driving Licenses could do the written test on the computers, and, provided they passed, got their Thai license and are finished. No practical test required.

Day 3:

Everyone else without IDP or IDL, was scheduled to come next morning to either do their practical Motorbike driving and/or Car driving test.

The people who passed the practical test in the morning, are scheduled to do the written computer test in the afternoon. If you do your car & motorbike license at once, you have to do the same test twice. One for the car, one for the motorbike.

The people who failed the practical test were not allowed to take the written exam, but were re-scheduled to come back one week later for another practical test.

Overall, even with the rule changes, it's not difficult, but all very time consuming. For sure, if you don't study the written exam questions beforehand, you have a big risk of failing the written exam.

Just study these exam questions: http://phuket.dlt.go.th/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&ltemid65

They all show up 90% the same questions as in the exam, many multiple times. There is no need to fail if you prepare yourself a little bit. 45 out of 50 questions in 60 min. have you passed.

(The exam and videos are based on the following Land Traffic Act: http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf). If you study the test exam questions, you should be out of the computer room within 15 min.

As last tip, to reduce more risk of unexpected failure, no matter how great of a driver you are, if you have a big car or pickup, don't bring it to the practical test. The parkour is pretty narrow & tiny and it's much easier to just rent a small Honda or something for 300Baht for the test. You can do this outside of the Land Transport Office.

So you get your 1st year temp driver license, which you can renew one year later to a 5 year license. I'm not sure about the requirements, but it was my understanding that you have to do the written exam again, could be wrong though on this.

In any case, be prepared and you're done fast. Fail to plan = plan to fail. Good luck to all!

Very helpful. About time to apply, I suppose.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

My neighbour told me he did his in Nakhon Sawan 2013 - IDP, UK Licence, proof of residence - eye test & depth perception - all done less than an hour. Picked up DL later that day. has it changed so much?

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

My neighbour told me he did his in Nakhon Sawan 2013 - IDP, UK Licence, proof of residence - eye test & depth perception - all done less than an hour. Picked up DL later that day. has it changed so much?

Yes, that's my understanding. Everyone I talked to who did this in the past they all told me same as your neighbor, it was a 'walk in the park' etc, done in a couple of hours/same day, but this is definitely not the case today.

Also, before the written test had 35 questions and you only had to have 75% correct. Everyone passed. Also it used to be only 1 hour video education I think ...

Now it's 50 questions and you only can have 5 questions wrong, that's a small percentage ... ergo most fail without any preparation

The only way to cut something out of the process, which is the practical driving test, is when you have an International Driving License (or permit).

Edited by TG911

Seems like everything in Thailand .................................what happens depends on WHERE you go.

I did my motor bike test in Udon Thani 3 months ago . Had to do the whole process - But then I DID NOT have an international license or permit( just didnt get one before leaving home country).

In Udon Thani it took 2 days for the process.

I agree with OP........................dont think that you know all. STUDY the questions ( see links in this thread - search thai driving licenese). Many people fail theory as questions ( especially diagrams) are NOT clear ..........Dont apply western driving logic - remember TIT , logic seldom applies.

One point I disagree with other posts however is ........................if you fail THEORY you cant do practical test and must come back next day and re-do theory , not the other way around. MUST pass theory( exam questions done on computer) before you can do practical( actual driving) test.

Just as a final note ................didnt I read recently on one forum that they are sub contracting a lot of the test out to private driving schools. They assess and test you then you get a paper to take to Land transport office to obtain actual license ?

Seems like everything in Thailand .................................what happens depends on WHERE you go.

I did my motor bike test in Udon Thani 3 months ago . Had to do the whole process - But then I DID NOT have an international license or permit( just didnt get one before leaving home country).

In Udon Thani it took 2 days for the process.

I agree with OP........................dont think that you know all. STUDY the questions ( see links in this thread - search thai driving licenese). Many people fail theory as questions ( especially diagrams) are NOT clear ..........Dont apply western driving logic - remember TIT , logic seldom applies.

One point I disagree with other posts however is ........................if you fail THEORY you cant do practical test and must come back next day and re-do theory , not the other way around. MUST pass theory( exam questions done on computer) before you can do practical( actual driving) test.

Just as a final note ................didnt I read recently on one forum that they are sub contracting a lot of the test out to private driving schools. They assess and test you then you get a paper to take to Land transport office to obtain actual license ?

As you said, what happens can be different where you go. I would say, maybe it's more important what month you go.

I went in December, a week before xmas, it was mega busy of course, being high season, there were many 'long term tourists', taking the motorbike test to tour Thailand for 6 month etc.

Whether you do the written or practical test first, or in case of a failure, can you do it a second time same day or do you have to wait for a week ... I reckon it all depends heavily on how busy it is.

Edited by TG911

So just done mine in Buriram, had to go and get a " medical" which consisted of me having to write my name on a piece of paper and hand over 80 baht. Clean bill of health amazing!!.

Then went to the police station with my wifes house book and gave fingerprints. Job done.

Went to the transport office with medical certificate and documents from the police station, done the eye test, reaction test and the depth perception test, handed over 350 baht and left the building within one hour with both my car and motorcycle driving license.

Got mine a few years ago only two weeks after a mate got his, same test centre. He needed a translation of his UK licence, I did not. Same with my wife. Two Thai friends had recently taken the test and had to do a hill start, so I taught her on a disused motocross track. Day of the test and no hill start, but reversing into a coned off box which we had not practised, and the friends did not have to do. Because this is Thailand, I am convinced that every govenment office within any department sets their own requirements, to be changed on a whim on a monthly or weekly basis. Keeps the peasantry, and the farangs, on their toes, always having to beg for information from the important person behind the desk with gold braid and a rubber stamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Does resident status matter when going for the renewal from 1 year to 5 year? The reason I ask is because I was on Non-O when I got my initial 1 year license but I'll likely be on tourist visa at that time. Will that affect anything? Also, is there any additional testing or color chart testing or braking response time testing or videos to be watched to be done for renewals?

Does resident status matter when going for the renewal from 1 year to 5 year? The reason I ask is because I was on Non-O when I got my initial 1 year license but I'll likely be on tourist visa at that time. Will that affect anything? Also, is there any additional testing or color chart testing or braking response time testing or videos to be watched to be done for renewals?

at some places yes, if you have a tourist visa they will not give you a 5 year, but another 1 year

I did my second 5 year renewal last year, had to 'watch" a video and a couple of eye tests...all done and dusted less than 2 hours

• 3 months later...

Got my auto and motorbike licenses this morning.

Surprisingly they are good for 2 years, not one.

Two hours total time at Lamphun office. I had IDL but needed to take motorcycle skills test because I was not previously licensed for a bike. 210 bt for car; 160bt for the bike license.

Did NOT have to sit through the training video as they had a Thai session going and would not be able to have one in English at the same time. Thank God!

The braking response test is easy, but the pull the stick until they line up kind of got me. Couldn't really tell when to stop pulling so I sort of just held the line taught and the

proctor asked me OK? And I said Yes! LOL

The driving test was a cinch if you read over the practice questions here on TV. I thought it funny that like with the 3 practice pdf files which contain numerous duplicate

questions, the actual exam duplicates questions as well. Go figure!

It's worth the time and effort to get it done, but in the village I live having a license is not the norm. Very few people bother to get them among the people I know and that's

probably representative of the general small town Thai population.

Edited by slerickson

Today is June 24th.

Would you tell when your birthday is and what the expiration date on the DL is?

Edited by KhunBENQ

If someone needs a smile on his face.

There a five short videos from DLT that show the practical driving test for motorbike biggrin.png

Remember that after passing that you can hop on a Ducati, crazy.

The first video basically shows it all.

Driving straight on a 15 m long and 30 cm wide concrete path ("ramp") is the biggest hurdle for some.

(the first driving scene in video 1)

Its in Thai but the pictures speak for themself:

Edited by KhunBENQ

Today is June 24th.

Would you tell when your birthday is and what the expiration date on the DL is?

Why you want birthdate?

2/15/53. Expire 6/24/17

Just wanted to see whether the same rule as for 5 year applies (5 years from the date of application and up to the following birthday).

Often called the "6 year" driving license (if you go shortly after your birthday).

Example: my car license issued on 22 MARCH 2012, valid until 12 MARCH 2018.

This obviously does not apply in your case (accordingly).

Else it would have been 2/15/17.

So they really changed the rule or ist simply different.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Found some kind of official confirmation.

I missed that.

A news article in Thai from 18 March 2015.

http://www.dailynews.co.th/economic/308410

All temporary licenses are now valid for two years.

Even more official, a press release from the DLT about extending to two years.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4867:-1-2-1-23-2558-&catid=48:%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%98%E0%B9%8C&Itemid=87

Edited by KhunBENQ