Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Thanks for all the advice. I should be ok than with the O visa and a letter from the village head saying he knows me. Happy and safe driving to all

members.

Strange conclusion.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey all,

I know this is probably one of those "you won't know until you go there and find out" situations, but thought I'd at least get a feel for it before iI dive into the deep end.

Will be returning to Thailand soon on a tourist visa and would like to get a Thai license (1 year is fine). I don't have a valid license from any other country but can drive, so am not worried about having to take the tests or anything, just concerned about the beaurocracy.

From reading through it seems if I'm to have any hope I'll need a certificate of residence to bring along with the tourist visa, but seems people have had issues getting one of those on a tourist visa as well. I'll be staying in my families house, but my name isn't on any of the bills. Would a letter from the buildings juristic person or manager confirming that I do in fact live in that building be enough to take with me to immigration (or if need be, the embassy) to get the certificate? If not, any other ways people have been able to get one?

Let's say I am able to procure a certificate, is all else that is needed an abundance of photocopies of various passporty things, and a medical certificate?

Anyone have any experience with getting the certificate from immigration or getting the licence from a department around Bangkok or cha-am/Huahin? Any recommendations as to which places seem to be the most lenient?

Thanks for any help!

Hey all,

I know this is probably one of those "you won't know until you go there and find out" situations, but thought I'd at least get a feel for it before iI dive into the deep end.

Will be returning to Thailand soon on a tourist visa and would like to get a Thai license (1 year is fine). I don't have a valid license from any other country but can drive, so am not worried about having to take the tests or anything, just concerned about the beaurocracy.

From reading through it seems if I'm to have any hope I'll need a certificate of residence to bring along with the tourist visa, but seems people have had issues getting one of those on a tourist visa as well. I'll be staying in my families house, but my name isn't on any of the bills. Would a letter from the buildings juristic person or manager confirming that I do in fact live in that building be enough to take with me to immigration (or if need be, the embassy) to get the certificate? If not, any other ways people have been able to get one?

Let's say I am able to procure a certificate, is all else that is needed an abundance of photocopies of various passporty things, and a medical certificate?

Anyone have any experience with getting the certificate from immigration or getting the licence from a department around Bangkok or cha-am/Huahin? Any recommendations as to which places seem to be the most lenient?

Thanks for any help!

Your locations you have put are far and wide, as far as I know your address will be put on your licence so you need to go to the nearest DLT where you will be staying.

There are ways around all the hue ha maybe someone else on here can help with that, goodluck.

Hey all,

Thanks for any help!

Just an opinion but, If you have no license at all yet why would you want to start with one from Thailand?

Drivers here are best experienced by very experienced drivers IMHO & even then years of experience may not be enough.

Also it may be a lot easier to just get a license in your country & then use it with a International

drivers permit add-on since your just here on a tourist visa.

But, if it is something you really need to do you can always just go to your consulate here in Thailand

swear you live where you say you do & buy a certificate of residence to avoid immigration hassles.

Good luck

Edited by mania

Hey all,

Thanks for any help!

Just an opinion but, If you have no license at all yet why would you want to start with one from Thailand?

Drivers here are best experienced by very experienced drivers IMHO & even then years of experience may not be enough.

Also it may be a lot easier to just get a license in your country & then use it with a International

drivers permit add-on since your just here on a tourist visa.

But, if it is something you really need to do you can always just go to your consulate here in Thailand

swear you live where you say you do & buy a certificate of residence to avoid immigration hassles.

Good luck

Maybe because he wants to drive here longer than the home license will legally allow? One year for example, like his visa allows him to be here.

Maybe because he wants to drive here longer than the home license will legally allow? One year for example, like his visa allows him to be here.

According to his original post

Will be returning to Thailand soon on a tourist visa

That means/suggests 30 days

I thin your confusing this new guy with the other guy "blowin" from Ireland who has an O visa

Home license he said he has never had one

Lastly a International permit which is simple to get is good for 1 year

But I stand by my original caution that imho Thailand is no place for westerners who have never had a license to

start.

Edited by mania

According to his original post

Will be returning to Thailand soon on a tourist visa

That means/suggests 30 days

I thin your confusing this new guy with the other guy "blowin" from Ireland who has an O visa

Home license he said he has never had one

Lastly a International permit which is simple to get is good for 1 year

But I stand by my original caution that imho Thailand is no place for westerners who have never had a license to

start.

No, there is no 30 day tourist visa for most western countries.

No, IDP is in Thailand not good for 1 year (let alone that it is not required).

Sorry I assumed as many claim it a tourist visa but mean the 30 days on arrival

allowed to these countries

Nationals Allowed to Enter Thailand

for Maximum 30 Days without Visa with a Return Air Ticket Dated for less than 30 days

Australia, Austria, Israel, Brazil, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, the Philippines, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, and Vietnam.

I have only IDP experience from when I use to visit but did not live here

They are valid for 1 year when used with license from USA

5. How long is an International Driving Permit valid?

The International Driving Permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance. A new IDP must be applied for each year. The permit is only valid when used in conjunction with a valid U.S. drivers license.

Dont know where you live in Thailand but in Chiang Mai they now ticket you for using just your foreign license

Was a big topic in the CM sub forum

Years ago when I visited IDP was never refused & in the IDP it clearly states accepted countries which Thailand is a signatory to.

Anyway...............drifting OT here & perhaps better to hear from the young man who has the question as to how long he plans to saty

although his post says 30 day visa. so I am guessing me meant the standard 30 day given on arrival from above countries

Since a true Tourist Visa is 60 days not 30

Sorry I assumed as many claim it a tourist visa but mean the 30 days on arrival

allowed to these countries

Nationals Allowed to Enter Thailand

for Maximum 30 Days without Visa with a Return Air Ticket Dated for less than 30 days

Australia, Austria, Israel, Brazil, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, the Philippines, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, and Vietnam.

I have only IDP experience from when I use to visit but did not live here

They are valid for 1 year when used with license from USA

5. How long is an International Driving Permit valid?

The International Driving Permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance. A new IDP must be applied for each year. The permit is only valid when used in conjunction with a valid U.S. drivers license.

Dont know where you live in Thailand but in Chiang Mai they now ticket you for using just your foreign license

Was a big topic in the CM sub forum

Years ago when I visited IDP was never refused & in the IDP it clearly states accepted countries which Thailand is a signatory to.

Anyway...............drifting OT here & perhaps better to hear from the young man who has the question as to how long he plans to saty

although his post says 30 day visa. so I am guessing me meant the standard 30 day given on arrival from above countries

Since a true Tourist Visa is 60 days not 30

Where in his post does it say '30 day visa'?

And again, no, IDP is not valid for 1 year in Thailand. If staying long term one is required to obtain a Thai license, even if staying on tourist visa.

But yes, we're going off topic here, and I presume he has the information needed.

Where in his post does it say '30 day visa'?

But yes, we're going off topic here, and I presume he has the information needed.

Yes as I said his post stated tourist visa & I assumed 30 days

If not & me meant a true 60 day tourist visa then it still changes nothing in the gist of my

post....which at this point I am really kicking myself for ever posting :)

But hey he asked & I replied ;) Just figured a young person who has never held a drivers license coming

to the land of insane drivers might be better served getting a license in his own country & a few years of real world experience.

But as I also said in my OP

That is really all there was to my post thanks

For what it is worth, here is the latest on renewing my second 5-year Thai driving Licence in Central Bangkok.

I did it Wednesday afternoon 03 March, 5 days before my old 5-year licence was due to expire.

I went to the Ministry of Land Transport Office number 3 on Sukhumvit Road Soi 62, but actually, this office is on the opposite side of Soi 62 !!??

When I arrived, I had brought the following:

Originals:

Current passport.

Current driving licence.

Work Permit.

1 copy of:

Main page of my passport - photo and information page.

Page of passport of my current extension of my NON-B.

Page of passport with the last arrival stamp into Thailand.

Copies of every page of my Work Permit, including main page and latest extension details.

All this paperwork plus my original documents were screened at booth 8 and I was given a number tag.

I was then told to go and watch a video for about an hour in room 14. Whilst in that room, you need to sign a register, with name and signature.

At the end of the one hour video, a member of staff comes in to hand out everybody's paperwork, according to the number tag, given at booth 8 when you first hand over your paper-work for initial screening..

We were then taken to the next room, where we had to perform 4 tests:

1: colour identification

2: Depth perception test

3: Emergency brake test

4: Peripheral Vision test.

Once that was out of the way, we were sent back to booth number 8, to return our signed test results and were given a queue number, to wait for the actual licence to be issued.

Once with the person doing the actual licence issuance, they make you sign all the photocopies and get you to check that all your details on your new licence are correct and according to your passport, before finally printing out your new licence.

I had to pay a total of 605.00 Baht, 505 for the issuance of the licence and 100 Baht for the actual Photo licence.

10 minutes later I was outside with my new (second) 5-year driving licence.

All in all a very easy experience.

A few observations:

I did not need a medical certificate; in fact I didn't have one and was not asked for one.

I used my current and valid Work Permit as proof of address.

Photocopies; only one of each required document/page and signed.

No need to bring along passport photographs, as these are done on the spot.

I hope this will help other people when they need to renew their Driving licences.

Good luck and happy and safe driving !! The safe driving you will get from that one hour video you have to watch !!

Frm-Bkk

I know this has been covered many times but things change here on a regular basis, so I'm looking for recent experience of renewing a five year driving licences here in Bangkok, Sukhumvit 62 in particular.

I'm well into my extensions of stay based on retirement, I've been here almost 7 years, so no problem with visas, he says confidently.

I'm more concerned with proof of address, I assume credit card statements, letters from the UK Government and utility bills will not cut it, so it's either a letter from Immigration or the, obscenely expensive, note from my embassy.

Has anybody managed to get a residency certificate from either of the temporary Immigration Officers lately? I haven't done a 90 report for six months as I have been in and out of the country at the relevant times.

I suspect I will have to fork out for the embassy pro-forma.

Thanks

I know this has been covered many times but things change here on a regular basis, so I'm looking for recent experience of renewing a five year driving licences here in Bangkok, Sukhumvit 62 in particular.

I'm well into my extensions of stay based on retirement, I've been here almost 7 years, so no problem with visas, he says confidently.

I'm more concerned with proof of address, I assume credit card statements, letters from the UK Government and utility bills will not cut it, so it's either a letter from Immigration or the, obscenely expensive, note from my embassy.

Has anybody managed to get a residency certificate from either of the temporary Immigration Officers lately? I haven't done a 90 report for six months as I have been in and out of the country at the relevant times.

Thanks

There are many ways to prove address of stay, depends on you personal situation.

I recently got my 2nd 5year licences renewed and there was no problem at all but I have lived the same address in Thailand all the time I have been here.

Can't you use the address that is on your first 5 year licence and you write that you have a retirement extension so you must of proved proof of address for that.

Thanks

There are many ways to prove address of stay, depends on you personal situation.

I recently got my 2nd 5year licences renewed and there was no problem at all but I have lived the same address in Thailand all the time I have been here.

Can't you use the address that is on your first 5 year licence and you write that you have a retirement extension so you must of proved proof of address for that.

Thanks Kwasaki

I moved condos a couple of years back, so the address on my current licence is out of date.

I did extend my leave to remain again last year, but I don't recall that I actually had to prove my address.

I was really asking if anybody had renewed their licence at the Sukhumvit in Bangkok office, and if so what evidence of an address was sufficient?

I wondered if anyone has got a residency certificate from one of the temporary offices?

It really bugs be to have to pay the obscene amount for an embassy pro forma, but I'm in danger of cutting off my nose to spite my face here.

Thanks

Thanks Kwasaki

I moved condos a couple of years back, so the address on my current licence is out of date.

I did extend my leave to remain again last year, but I don't recall that I actually had to prove my address.

I was really asking if anybody had renewed their licence at the Sukhumvit in Bangkok office, and if so what evidence of an address was sufficient?

I wondered if anyone has got a residency certificate from one of the temporary offices?

It really bugs be to have to pay the obscene amount for an embassy pro forma, but I'm in danger of cutting off my nose to spite my face here.

I wouldn't know what Sukhumvit DLT office would want.

If you own or rent a Condos your bill of sale or the landlord can proof your address of stay and household bills with your home address on sometimes is sufficiant.

I may be mistaken but I remember seeing a form at DLT's that you fill out for change of address on your licence.

Try asking about Sukhumvit office in Bangkok forum someone there may have recently been there.

Edited by Kwasaki

dear all,

I have a Singapore driver's licence.

do I need to apply for any international driver's licence if I wanna drive in Thailand?

How about vehicle ownership and insurance issues?

can the vehicle be registered under my personal name or I need to have a thai owner?

Dear Aldebaran laugh.png

When you arrive in Thailand I don't think you will have a problem in Thailand with a Singapore Licence.

Wherever you end up staying in Thailand just go to the nearest DLT ( Department of Transport ) and ask them them what you need for what you want to do for how long etc etc, as I always say they won't eat you. biggrin.png

I lived in Pattaya before and got one one year DL for car and Motorbike there. I now live Sukhumvit bkk and need to renew. I am on retirement visa and just recently got my year extension in bkk.

Do I need all the following or more?

1. the confirmation of address paper from Immigration

2. Med. cert. from doctor

3. Photos

4. Old Thai DL

5. Copies of passport

6. Form for new lic.

Will I also get a 5 year automatically ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I lived in Pattaya before and got one one year DL for car and Motorbike there. I now live Sukhumvit bkk and need to renew. I am on retirement visa and just recently got my year extension in bkk.

3. Photos

4. Old Thai DL

5. Copies of passport

6. Form for new lic.

YES thats all yu will need. And you can get the 5 years dl. wink.png

3. Photos

4. Old Thai DL

5. Copies of passport

6. Form for new lic.

YES thats all yu will need. And you can get the 5 years dl. wink.png

Yep your right and also he may find he may not need all of it but take it anyway. thumbsup.gif

Just renewed my 5 year licenses, car and motorcycle, in Sangha, Surin. I had a passport with a non-immigrant visa, yellow tabien ban, and medical certificates... The only test that I had to do was color chart, nothing else. I watched the superlong movie. It took about 4 hours for everything. Not too bad.

Having obtained my 1 year temporary licences last year (21st June), I've just been to the local DLC this morning to enquire about 5 year licences.

A very helpful lady on the information desk informed me that I can return on the 21st April for my renewal of said licences.

1: medical certificate

2: proof of residence

3: copy of passport

4: copy of visa + extension

5: old licences

6: fee

That's it. No re-test or sitting in on a 'skills' video.

Of course, every DLC centre has its own way of renewal so it's wise to check first.

• 3 weeks later...

Just 2 quick Q's.

My 1 yr provisional car license is up at the end of the month.

1) once it has expired, is there any time frame that I have to get a new 5 yr one in. For example 6 months, 1 year, 3 years etc?

2) DoLT is Chatujak in BKK. Will I have to do any driving test again, or is it just the eye tests etc.?

1) I would get it as soon as possible after the expiry date

but I've seen a sign at the Pattaya DLT saying they will renew up to 2 years after expiry.

2) You'll have to do reaction and eye tests, sometimes they make you watch a road saftey video but no pratical tests.

Just 2 quick Q's.

My 1 yr provisional car license is up at the end of the month.

1) once it has expired, is there any time frame that I have to get a new 5 yr one in. For example 6 months, 1 year, 3 years etc?

2) DoLT is Chatujak in BKK. Will I have to do any driving test again, or is it just the eye tests etc.?

This comes up from time to time, and as said many times DLT's have their way of doing things and operate differently, in other words you won't know until you go there.

Personally I went the day after my licence ran out it was just after my birthday so I ended up getting nearly 6 years because the renewed licences are dated year to year on your birth date.

You don't usually have to take a driving test only as you say eye tests etc.

Hi I have a question I have a a thai driver licence for bike which is expiring in may. I am on a double entry tourist visa , i would like to know if it is possible to renew it ?

And as I live in Srinakarin,is there any branch near here ?.

Thank you so much

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kurita

Hi I have a question I have a a thai driver licence for bike which is expiring in may. I am on a double entry tourist visa , i would like to know if it is possible to renew it ?

And as I live in Srinakarin,is there any branch near here ?.

Thank you so much

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can renew it, should be able to find nearest province office here.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/