Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Went through a very frustrating experience today trying to renew my one year Thai driving license for one of five years.

Last year I used a letter from Kanchanaburi Amphur as proof of address to obtain my one year license.

This year they would not let me have one as they said they are now issued from your local Amphur and I live in a small town 20 minutes from Kan.

Well my local Amphur will not issue the neccessary letter. Not because it's not their job to do so but as they have never done one before, the lady who's job it would be to type it out is scared of making a mistake. If she makes a mistake then she is afraid she will get into trouble. Therefore, to her way of thinking, if she doesn't type out the letter, she can't make a mistake, therefore no chance of getting into trouble. So, sorry, no letter to confirm my address in Thailand. How's that for lateral Thai thinking?

Before anyone says letter from Immigration or home country embassy to confirm my address in Thailand I asked at the Dept of Land and Transport and they told me that it is a new rule that they will accept only a letter from your local Amphur as proof of your address in Thailand, nothing else!

Yet another one of those local rule changes that makes life difficult.

Before I left the Dept of Land and Transport someone there suggested that I could get a letter from the city Amphur. They actually told me to ask someone I know in the city to write a letter saying that I lived in their house so I could get the neccessary residence letter. How about that? They are willing to issue a license with an address they know I do not live at!

Tomorrow I will be seeing the boss of my local Amphur to explain why I need a letter from his Amphur. Hopefully he will get his staff to do their job.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a follow up to my post yesterday. I went to my local Amphur today and got my letter confirming residence at my wifes house. We saw the second in command and explained that we had previously been refused the neccessary letter. He immediately arranged for someone else to type out the letter for me which was great. Not so great was the 90 minute wait whilst we had to wait for statements from my wife and father in law to say that 'yes I really did live at their house'.

These statements were hand written and included when and where I met my wife and dates of previous stays in Thailand. Oh well, at least I got my letter.

Thus armed it was off to the local Dept of Land and Transport. Arrived at 3.30, waited in line and presented my documents whereupon I was told that contrary to what I was told yesterday and to what is listed in the second post of this thread that I now needed a doctors note.

Well by now it was too late to nip into town and get the said note so I guess that I will now finally get my 5 year license tomorrow unless they can think of some other document I need.

It is frustrating that there are no fixed rules as to what documents are required, or if there are that they are not followed, even in the same office from year to year.

I have read all pages on this topic but can please someone tell me exactly what paperwork if any you need to present to immigration to obtain residence cerificate/proof of adress.One post said verbally tell them and write it down for them.Is this right ?

I have read all pages on this topic but can please someone tell me exactly what paperwork if any you need to present to immigration to obtain residence cerificate/proof of adress.One post said verbally tell them and write it down for them.Is this right ?

Most (all?) immigration offices will now only issue this letter if you are doing 90 day reporting, take your lease or other paperwork showing you live there.

The other (expensive) route is a letter from your embassy, I believe that edwinchester was mis-informed by his Land Transport office when they told him this was no longer acceptable (nothing unusual there).

If you have a work permit you can get away without the letter.

You could try the 'letter from the amphur' route that ed used it obviously works wherever he is :o

Most (all?) immigration offices will now only issue this letter if you are doing 90 day reporting, take your lease or other paperwork showing you live there.

The other (expensive) route is a letter from your embassy, I believe that edwinchester was mis-informed by his Land Transport office when they told him this was no longer acceptable (nothing unusual there).

If you have a work permit you can get away without the letter.

You could try the 'letter from the amphur' route that ed used it obviously works wherever he is :o

Hi Crossy. When I was told that the Dept of Land and Transport will only accept a letter from the local Amphur I queried this with the head man of the office. There was nobody higher.

He said that they had a new ruling from Local Government only to accept a Residence letter from another local government office ie The Amphur, there being nobody else.

He said that they no longer accept the Immigration form become it does not list your address, only that you are resident in Thailand. He said that they no longer accept an Embassy letter because they 'do not trust' foreign Embassies documents. Make of that what you will!!!

So for me the only option was to get one from my local Amphur. Now they have done one and have a copy for future reference I anticipate no future problems,(famous last words?).

In my experience, getting a letter of residence from your big city Amphur is quite easy as they are generally used to the request from farang for licenses and car purchases.

Should be zero cost too, no money requested yesterday.

I also asked what if I was listed in my wifes house book as a tenent at the house. I was told that I would still need the letter.

Wifey has just phoned her friend at the Dept of Land and Transport and asked what if I had a work permit( I dont). They said I would still need the letter!

Crossy, I dont doubt that you know the rules etc, it's just that nobody sticks to them do they?

Oh well at least the license is sorted for another 5 years.

What about a lease to rent your house - do they accept that?

Hi, all I can say is that at Kanchanaburi Dept of Land and Transport, the ONLY document they will accept as proof of residence for a farang is a letter from said farangs local Amphur.

Remember though that this is Thailand, I am sure that someone will post that they got their license with the Airfix modellers club card as proof of address.

Took me all of 45 minutes to get the licence. It was getting the papers together that took longer. I had an IPD so no driving or written test, just a colour test, reaction test and perception test. Easy peasy if you have your papers in order.

Can't get letter from immigration unless you reported at least once for 90 day rule!

Just returned from Suan Plu main office in Bangkok; requested the letter confirming local address, and after much ado at the information desk, was directed upstairs to the 90 day report office. Even though I have a retirement visa, and have had for years, because I travel outside Thailand so much, I have never had to report for the 90 days. Mistake. Because I had never reported, even though not legally required to do so, they could not verify my local address. I asked what about my having given the address upon my renewal for retirement visa? Answer: go downstairs and see the visa section. Went downstairs, stared at the 200 or so people waiting, and gave up. Will go to the American Embassy next week and try it easier.

I went to get my license yesterday. I don't have a International Drivers License, so I was doing it from scratch and the process was very simple.

Paperwork they needed:

1. Copy of your passport, Visa and latest entry stamp.

2. Health certificate (Must be original)

3. Proof of address (Can be a copy)

4. 2 Photos (3 x 4)

I got the proof of address letter from my Embassy (South African), it cost me nothing and took them 10 minutes to do. I just had to show them a copy of my rental agreement and a few reciepts for the monthly rent.

Well I managed to do it! Today i renewed my driving licence for the 5 year one, I followed the tips in previous posts but still had a couple of minor problems thta could have been avoided. 1) I had some pictures one size down from the passport pictures but they were too big so had to pop across the road and some more taken at a cost of 120 baht. I was asked for a Health Certificate which I did not have as a previous post said not needed in Pattaya wrong!! it is needed!! anyways nipped into my local clinic and got one at a cost of 150 baht and went back out to the drive centre. I was in and out in 20 mins, crossed the road and had new licence laminated for 20 baht and headed home!! So what papers was I actuallt asked for?

Expired Licence

Copy Passport Photo Page

Copy Non Imm stamp

Copy entry stamp

Copy departure card

Certificate of residence obtained from Immigration at Jomtien (150baht)(incidently immigration asked to see my old licence)

New pics (small size)

Health Certificate

505 baht

All done and dusted in 20 mins, when I went first thing (0910 am) there were 40 people in the queue plus 80 sitting in the waiting room I got to the front of the queue in about 10 mins where a lafy checked my papers and sent me off for health certificate and new pics. When I went back at 12:15 it was very quiet and the check in desk was closed for lunch, however I went up to the renewal window and she accepted my papers and processed them. I noticed when I was leaving it was getting full again and some of the people there were the same people I saw in the morning it transpired they were doing the full driving test which is 2 hours written followed by a road test, I think they do one in the morning and one in the afternoon so if you hit it around lunchtime it is quiet also they do not open on saturdays! thats why I went back as I am busy on monday!"!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

I've been reading this 14 pages thread and looked around at other threads on the forum but can't seem to find any info of the written test you need to take if you don't have a license from your home country.

Could someone please write a few lines about what kind of questions you get?

Is there anywhere one could find some material in english to read first?

Thanks alot,

Hi Guys!

I've been reading this 14 pages thread and looked around at other threads on the forum but can't seem to find any info of the written test you need to take if you don't have a license from your home country.

Could someone please write a few lines about what kind of questions you get?

Is there anywhere one could find some material in english to read first?

Thanks alot,

Not done the test myself, but there are a couple of threads relating, of course I can't find them right now :o

IIRC it's multiple choice, questions in 'english'. You're apparently shown a film and given a booklet to study first. Most people seem to think it's easy enough but some of the questions are worded badly :D

Could someone update the two lists in the first two posts in this thread? They're helpful, but the five-year renewel list is slightly incomplete: the medical certificate IS necessary (this is mentioned on the 14th page of the thread), and if you have a work permit you need copies of the important pages (picture, name and adress of employer, latest renewel stamp page, and your home address page). The home address page of the work permit replaces the immigration form TM47 mentioned in the orginal post.

Those first two posts should probably be shown separately in the thread (at the top) as reference posts.

Thanks and good luck getting your driver's license/renewal!

i went to get a one year and everything was smooth used work permit, had medical, pics, copies, took the exam in english got 3 wrong easy test then off to the road test .........not a really a road test but it is rather a parking test. Well i have to say i failed the parking test as i did not have a clear idea what they wanted me to do. The reason is if you take the "road test" before lunch they don't tell you what you have to do you just watch a video but the person giving the test instructs you differently. Most of the farang were given one chance and the thai more than one or were passed whether they hit the cones or not lol. In the afternoon they give an instructional and you can have a person there to translate. My wife when the same day but she had a driving school instructor who told the students Do Not Listen to the Tester just park. This week i will go back and try again as you have to wait 3 days if you fail the road test

An update for those applying at the main office in Bangkok regarding International Driving Permit or not & proof of residence.. After years of being too lazy I went to get my Thai license a few weeks ago. (By the way, I wouldn't drive there as it's a mess to park.)

First, I have two drivers licenses, one from USA and one from Hong Kong. Both are valid. Initially, they looked at both but only wanted the USA license. I was never asked for the IDP, which I don't have. I was not required to take any written test. So, if you have a valid US (or probably European) license should be no need for the IDP.

The tests I did have to take were color-blindness, reflex testing by hitting a brake pedal etc., depth perception etc..

Very easy process, and at the main office no wait time as there is a dedicated foreigner window and few foreigners applying.

Regarding the residence, if you're in BKK, it's probably best just to suck it up and go to your embassy and get it if you have a good citizen services section. All the hassles of dealing with immigration, etc.. are time wasters.

An update for those applying at the main office in Bangkok regarding International Driving Permit or not & proof of residence.. After years of being too lazy I went to get my Thai license a few weeks ago. (By the way, I wouldn't drive there as it's a mess to park.)

First, I have two drivers licenses, one from USA and one from Hong Kong. Both are valid. Initially, they looked at both but only wanted the USA license. I was never asked for the IDP, which I don't have. I was not required to take any written test. So, if you have a valid US (or probably European) license should be no need for the IDP.

The tests I did have to take were color-blindness, reflex testing by hitting a brake pedal etc., depth perception etc..

Very easy process, and at the main office no wait time as there is a dedicated foreigner window and few foreigners applying.

Regarding the residence, if you're in BKK, it's probably best just to suck it up and go to your embassy and get it if you have a good citizen services section. All the hassles of dealing with immigration, etc.. are time wasters.

Which is the 'main' office in BKK?

EXTRACT

Hi Crossy. When I was told that the Dept of Land and Transport will only accept a letter from the local Amphur I queried this with the head man of the office. There was nobody higher.

He said that they had a new ruling from Local Government only to accept a Residence letter from another local government office ie The Amphur, there being nobody else.

He said that they no longer accept the Immigration form become it does not list your address, only that you are resident in Thailand. He said that they no longer accept an Embassy letter because they 'do not trust' foreign Embassies documents. Make of that what you will!!!.......

I believe that a Yellow Tabien Baan booklet would be more than adequate for proof of address (if you can get one)

Last time I applied I used my YELLOW Tabien Baan booklet (colour for non Thai Nationals) which I am fortunate to have as my wife is named as owner of the house we live in.

I am SURE those with this booklet do NOT need the Amphur letter as this Tabien Baan is the equivalent of what the Thais use (Blue Tabien Baan booklet) for proof of address for everything. It is my understanding that this booklet is the ultimate normal proof of address within Thailand.

I suspect the Head Officer did not mention this as he assumed MOST foreigners do not have one, or are not eligible for one.

Regretfully as is often the case with official Departments, the information is not necessarily inaccurate but often incomplete or lost in translation. Sometime this is due to the vagaries of the original Ruling instruction documents handed down to local offices and training. (common problem around most of the World)

Regards, Dave

[edit]

I´ve now read that tourists can´t get any license.

######.

You MUST have a Non-Immigrant Visa ( any category )

Yesterday, my neighbour obtained a motorcycle licence and a car licence from the Pattaya Licencing Office and he has just a 30-day entry stamp. He showed his Canadian licence, took a written test and a short driving test (slightly different test is used for an automatic car).

I had told him that he must have a Non-Immigrant Visa but he said something like "nothing ventured, nothing gained"!! I was quite wrong as he got one.

Which is the 'main' office in BKK?

Department of land Transport on Phahan Yothin Road. BTS or MRT to Jaktojak I think. Check a map, but a little bit long walk from BTS. take a taxi or motorbike taxi from BTS or MRT.

How is the test different for an auto? I thought the licence covers manual and auto cars even if you did the test in an auto.

.....something about starting on an incline and parallel parking. The first one is obvious but I'm not sure about the second one!!!

I have a question , i hope someone have the answer for it;

I used to live in Thailand , and i got a 5 year driving licence , however i left thailand last year

Let us say i will visit thailand next year as a tourist , can i still use my thai driving licence , if i want to rent a car ? or is it imperative that i have a work permit to use my thai driving licence?

Edited by admiraldy

I have a question , i hope someone have the answer for it;

I used to live in Thailand , and i got a 5 year driving licence , however i left thailand last year

Let us say i will visit thailand next year as a tourist , can i still use my thai driving licence , if i want to rent a car ? or is it imperative that i have a work permit to use my thai driving licence?

If your Thai licence is still valid when you return next year then, sure, you can continue to use it.

No, there has never been a need for a Work Permit to drive or rent a car here.

So, you're OK on both counts.

Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

can someone tell me how to get this, like where to go in bangkok, and what i ask them?

sorry if it seems a stupid question, just i dont want to know what i'm asking and not wanting to look stupid. lol.

Thanks

Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

can someone tell me how to get this, like where to go in bangkok, and what i ask them?

sorry if it seems a stupid question, just i dont want to know what i'm asking and not wanting to look stupid. lol.

You get it from immigration.

BUT.

Many have noted that they'll only issue the address notice if you are on a 1 year extension of stay and have performed at least one 90 day address report.

You get it from immigration.

BUT.

Many have noted that they'll only issue the address notice if you are on a 1 year extension of stay and have performed at least one 90 day address report.

Hi Crossy....... Immigration Offices in Thailand can be so unpredictable. You never know how their arbitrariness can change from place to place. No problems at Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration. Check out post #201.

I was just issued my first Thai driver's licence, good for one year, at the Chiang Kham office of the Bureau of Land Transportation. It went pretty easily, I thought it would take a lot longer because this is a fairly rural office. Not like Bangkok, I'm sure!

There was some difficulty at the beginning. The guy behind the counter (I think he was the head of the office) took a look at my papers and gave them all back to me with a wave of his hand, definitely a negative reaction. I don't speak much Thai so I hightailed it into town and brought a Thai friend who spoke good English back with me. It turns out that the DL guy didn't really understand the visa system. He took a look at my non-imm O-A visa and saw it was expired and thought I was illegal! When my friend explained the most recent permission to stay stamp to him, he waved me in and said, "OK now!" He later said that they get only one or two non-Thai applicants at this office each year.

My medical cert was about 6 weeks old and I had a form from the US Embassy in Chiang Mai attesting to my current address. I had copies of my passport (all pages except empty pages) and a copy of my current unexpired US driver's license (both sides). I did not have an international driver's license. I did bring the proper size photos. No problems.

I was given a booklet with all kinds of road signs and markings (with English text) to study for the test later. There were about 18 applicants like me (all Thai except for me) and we went through all the procedures as a group.

The first test was a color blindness test and after that we all used a reaction time measurement device and had to pass 2 of 3 tries to succeed. Neither test was at all difficult. These were the only physical tests required; there was no peripheral vision test and no depth perception test.

At about 10:30 we all went inside and the same guy showed a video (about a half hour in Thai) and then gave a talk (in Thai) which lasted for about an hour, showing us various road signs and examples of road markings and warnings. I didn't understand anything he said but if I didn't recognize the sign he was holding up I looked it up in my book. We then broke for lunch for about 45 minutes.

When we returned we all took the computerized test (30 questions, in English for me) and I passed. The questions aren't really too hard but some of the English usage in the answers was hard to understand. I missed 4 questions, if you miss more than 6 you fail the test and have to come back the next day to try again.

Then we all went outside and took the driving test, which was really a parallel parking test. No problem for me but a couple of the others really had a tough time. I don't think anyone failed the parking test, though.

Back to the counter and 105 baht later and a trip to the shop across the street to have the license laminated in plastic and I was done.

Once the head of the office realized I was OK he was really friendly, as he was with all of the applicants. His talk was filled with humor (I could tell because everyone was laughing) and he tried to liven up the talk by putting a few guys on the spot (I'm pretty sure he knew them). The experience was actually enjoyable and it was because of the way this guy treated all of us so well and in such a friendly manner.

Edited by DFCarlson

I was just issued my first Thai driver's licence, good for one year, at the Chiang Kham office of the Bureau of Land Transportation........

....... The experience was actually enjoyable and it was because of the way this guy treated all of us so well and in such a friendly manner.

Well done that man :o

For information, the LTO at Chatuchak is still issuing licences to holders of US and European (possibly Oz too) licences without a driving test even if you don't have an International Driving Permit :D