Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

If I am allowed to drive on a UK or IDP for up to 3 months on each visit to Thailand and my non immigrant O visa forces me to leave the country within each 3 month stay then what is the problem?

On each return to Thailand am I not able to start another 3 month driving licence allowance?

I'm sure there must be a catch or some Thai driving law small print prohibiting this but please someone tell me what it is!

No problem at all, but if you have a non-o and an IDP why not get a Thai licence, guaranteed no problem with insurance, valid ID so no need to carry your passport, gets Thai price (sometimes).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Crossy that's good news.

I will be buying a new Toyota pickup on my return to Thailand in October and fully intend to get a Thai licence eventually but just wanted to see if I had some temporary breathing space due to the arrival of a new baby daughter at the end of November/early December.Quite a lot of other things on my mind at the moment since this will be my first and providing everything is legal with my current licence the Thai drivers licence is still some way down the list!

To be honest my main concern is the insurance. I have never had any problems with the police in Thailand as regards my DL.

I always use my UK licence which is perfectly legal although granted there may be a large number of police in Thailand who either do not accept this due to ignorance or otherwise refuse to accept it in order to top up their tea rations. Maybe I've just had luck on my side on the few occasions I've been stoped.

Anyway this time I will be taking an IDP in order not to complicate any car purchase arrangements and I will be checking the free Toyota class 1 insurance small print to see that it hopefully stipulates that any valid DL licence is required rather than just a Thai licence.

As for insurance in general I'm sure that there are companies that are happy with a valid foreign licence providing it is in English....after all ...the car hire companies are using insurers that are happy to insure drivers using UK and other english language licences.

I went for my Thai driving license yesterday and after reading all of this forum I was expecting a quick and easy time.

I had an International Driving Permit, a British full license and an old out of date Thai license.

I did require a medical certificate but then had to take the full tests, the driving part was simple just reverse parking a couple of times.

Then I had to suffer a 40 minute video, at least it was in English, then a computerised test of 32 questions mainly based on the content of the video.

I managed to pass it somehow and they issued my license and it was a five and a half year one so overall it was not so bad.

This was not in Pattaya but in a province in Rayong.

hi, this may have already been asked and answered, but can someone tell me where to get Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area?

Reason why I ask is because my girlfriend just phoned up an immigration office and they said it will cost 2400baht for the letter. I know its not a lot of money, but I read that some people get it for free, or cheeper.

Thanks.

Reason why I ask is because my girlfriend just phoned up an immigration office and they said it will cost 2400baht for the letter. I know its not a lot of money, but I read that some people get it for free, or cheeper.

Reports are that most immigration offices will issue this letter for a nominal fee, however they seem to want you to be doing 90 day reports before they will consider doing it.

The alternative is to get said letter from your embassy :o

Edited by Crossy

I went for my Thai driving license yesterday and after reading all of this forum I was expecting a quick and easy time.

I had an International Driving Permit, a British full license and an old out of date Thai license.

I did require a medical certificate but then had to take the full tests, the driving part was simple just reverse parking a couple of times.

Then I had to suffer a 40 minute video, at least it was in English, then a computerised test of 32 questions mainly based on the content of the video.

I managed to pass it somehow and they issued my license and it was a five and a half year one so overall it was not so bad.

This was not in Pattaya but in a province in Rayong.

Interesting, I wonder why they made you do the test for a 5 year licence :o

At least it confirms that 5 year licences are still available to farangs :D

BTW It should expire on your next birthday after 5 years, that's why it's 5 1/2 years :D

To be honest my main concern is the insurance. I have never had any problems with the police in Thailand as regards my DL.

There have been reports of insurance companies baulking at coughing up if you don't have a 'proper' (ie Thai) licence. I'd certainly get it sorted ASAP.

hi, this may have already been asked and answered, but can someone tell me where to get Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area?

Thanks.

I realise that this will not help your situation but as a comparison and info for anybody living in the Samui area the immigration office there was prepared to issue a letter free of charge on a two month tourist visa -even suggested I go to Penang to get it and gave a contact number if I wanted to get there on the cheap!

BTW my 6 month multiple entry tourist visa had recently expired and I was trying to get the document with only a visa on arrival in my passport so that is why he was unable to issue the residency letter.

For over a year, the Chiang Mai immigration office has been giving certification of residency free of charge, but you must show (in my case) a current lease, the ID photocopy of the landlord, etc. However, the statement taped to the front counter says you must have a long term visa, such as O or A.

Reports are that most immigration offices will issue this letter for a nominal fee, however they seem to want you to be doing 90 day reports before they will consider doing it.

....or try and get from your local Amphur. They will also usually issue a letter detailing your address in Thailand free of charge. Saves the cost of a trip to Bkk and the exorbitant cost of their letter.

Just to clarify, I know that you can find locations to apply for the license here:

http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

But can you apply at any of them? Or just the head office and the office where you live? (Not sure where I got that idea, but think I heard it somewhere.)

Reason I'm asking, I live in Bkk (Area 1), but I'm thinking of applying in Roi Et while there this week. (Where I have access to the truck I'm making payments on :o)

On the insurance and Thai licence issue, AIA agent told me no problem with my Aussie and IDP licences for vehicle insurance. They paid up on a claim without any question. So in at least their case it appears a Thai licence is not required to get insurance and make a claim.

On the Thai licence issue, I've been here over 2 years using my Aussie and IDP licences and they've always been accepted and never questioned. I will get around to getting a Thai licence eventually, just for extra identification.

On the insurance and Thai licence issue, AIA agent told me no problem with my Aussie and IDP licences for vehicle insurance. They paid up on a claim without any question. So in at least their case it appears a Thai licence is not required to get insurance and make a claim.

On the Thai licence issue, I've been here over 2 years using my Aussie and IDP licences and they've always been accepted and never questioned. I will get around to getting a Thai licence eventually, just for extra identification.

You have confirmed what I suspected regarding insurance Bruce.

No one can argue that getting a Thai licence is the way to go long term to avoid possible police issues etc but I think it should be made clear that it is perfectly legal to drive a vehicle with a foreign licence (provding it is in the English language) and you drive for no more than 3 consequtive months at a time-anotherwords between visa runs.

Suffice to say you should insure your vehicle with a company that is happy to cover foreign licence holders.

To date I have only heard from people who have not had any problems with insurance payouts whilst using their home country licence.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had problems with their insurance company not paying out for this reason

Please name and shame them so I can put them on my blacklist!

Thank you

No one can argue that getting a Thai licence is the way to go long term to avoid possible police issues etc but I think it should be made clear that it is perfectly legal to drive a vehicle with a foreign licence (provding it is in the English language) and you drive for no more than 3 consequtive months at a time-anotherwords between visa runs.

Not true. To be legal you need an IDP to drive in Thailand and you're only allowed to drive for 90 days (unless you do a visa run of course when the clock re-starts). Only citizens of the neigbouring countries can drive on their national licences.

Edited by Crossy

Not true. To be legal you need an IDP to drive in Thailand and you're only allowed to drive for 90 days (unless you do a visa run of course when the clock re-starts). Only citizens of the neigbouring countries can drive on their national licences.

I recall that I was able to rent cars here with a UK license (not an IDP). The rental companies involved did not raise any objections to this whatsoever. (I subsequently obtained a thai license.)

Went to Chiang Mai immigration for the proof of residence letter - for my application for a 5-year license. They wanted a song and a dance including inter alia my landlord making an appearance there. I am therefore minded to go for the embassy alternative - or rather the consulate in Chiang Mai. If anyone has experience there and will post any tips that might facilitate my getting that letter quickly and on a single visit it would be very helpful.

Perhaps driving ones own car is different but you are certainly able to drive a hire car with international companies such as Budget,Hertz and Avis using your home country English language licence and you are also fully insured. I'm sure these companies would not allow their customers to drive their vehicles on Thai roads if they were breaking the law...that would be almost unthinkable.

This comes from Budget Thailands website:-

Drivers License

All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving.

Maybe that in true Thai style the powers that be have confused things for all of us by having one rule for car hire and another for owner/driver?

This is the first I've heard about the 90 day only driving rule. Does that apply only to tourists on 90 day visas? Does it apply to residents in Thailand? If you are on a non-imm B and notify every 90 days then does that affect whether you can use an IDP or foreign licence for driving your own car?

The one time a cop asked to see my licence he was quite happy to accept my Queensland licence. I had my IDP in my bag in the boot if needed, but he didn't ask for it.

Edited by Bruce1

How hard is the test in Thailand and is it in English

If you have to do the test, its common sense, well almost. ( There is one question that is about a cross roads and who has right of way. The answer the biggest! Im being serious, its a lorry, a bike, a car and taxi in picture. The lorry is coming out of a small road! Other than that it is in English, but some bad translation. Pic shows lorry turning left but says the lorry turning right. I was also not allowed a translator in with me. Yet there were 2 italian guys allowed their girlfriends in to translate. Another example of it being a mens world here! However it took me 10 mins to do written test the Thais were there when I left for lunch and still there doing it when i got back 2 hours later. So if you have already done a UK licence I think you will find it very easy. ( I had taken mine 22 years before) The driving..... reverse in straight line using mirrors only and park within the lines. That was it, on a noddy in toyland type area. (This was in Samui, I renewed it for 5 years in Phuket without any problems.) I have found that on regular road blocks in Phuket etc a Thai licence impresses the police very much and always produces a smile, that as a farang making an effort to do something Thai, it seems to go a long way. Also you are in a much stronger position should you be involved in an accident when a Thai driver hits you. You are NOT found automatically guilty, as is most farangs experience. Good Luck Maria

How hard is the test in Thailand and is it in English

If you have to do the test, its common sense, well almost. ( There is one question that is about a cross roads and who has right of way. The answer the biggest! Im being serious, its a lorry, a bike, a car and taxi in picture. The lorry is coming out of a small road! Other than that it is in English, but some bad translation. Pic shows lorry turning left but says the lorry turning right. I was also not allowed a translator in with me. Yet there were 2 italian guys allowed their girlfriends in to translate. Another example of it being a mens world here! However it took me 10 mins to do written test the Thais were there when I left for lunch and still there doing it when i got back 2 hours later. So if you have already done a UK licence I think you will find it very easy. ( I had taken mine 22 years before) The driving..... reverse in straight line using mirrors only and park within the lines. That was it, on a noddy in toyland type area. (This was in Samui, I renewed it for 5 years in Phuket without any problems.) I have found that on regular road blocks in Phuket etc a Thai licence impresses the police very much and always produces a smile, that as a farang making an effort to do something Thai, it seems to go a long way. Also you are in a much stronger position should you be involved in an accident when a Thai driver hits you. You are NOT found automatically guilty, as is most farangs experience. Good Luck Maria

Went to Chiang Mai immigration for the proof of residence letter - for my application for a 5-year license. They wanted a song and a dance including inter alia my landlord making an appearance there. I am therefore minded to go for the embassy alternative - or rather the consulate in Chiang Mai. If anyone has experience there and will post any tips that might facilitate my getting that letter quickly and on a single visit it would be very helpful.

Well, they gave me a bit of a song and dance, too. My landlady ended up on the phone to them, after they had an updated, signed and extended rental contract, a copy of her Thai ID, etc. No way would she come to CMai just to help me get a residency cert, but she sweet talked them.

To answer my own question, it appears that you can get your license anywhere. I got my license in Roi Et, but they thought nothing of putting my Bangkok address on it.

Just to clarify, I know that you can find locations to apply for the license here:

http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

But can you apply at any of them? Or just the head office and the office where you live? (Not sure where I got that idea, but think I heard it somewhere.)

Today I applied for my first year driving licence. Journeyed to behind the Regent school off highway 36.

I had taken copies of:

-my passport,front page,visa page,arrival card page and date of arrival.

-my international driving permit..every page

-my domestic driving license for the UK both sides and the counterpart page

I had taken a report from my doctor and a letter from Immigration.

I arrived at 10.45 a.m.

Lady behind counter filled in my application form for me as it is all in Thai. I signed both the papers. Gave her all the copies. I was told that my name would be called to test my eyes. And a few minutes later it was. No problem so far.

Then I had to do the emergency stop test with the pedals on the floor. And also how you perceive distance test... can't explain this really ..two upright sticks in a box one is fixed inside the other can move about..it is up to you to line the sticks up from about 10 feet away. First time round I wasn't anywhere near. Next time ok and then I had to do it again!

Was told to sit and wait. They then called my name and gave me my licence. Went outside and had it laminated.

Got in the car 11.45 a.m.

Pretty ###### good I would say.

Go prepared with all your stuff ....NO problems.

begsaresponse :o

Today I applied for my first year driving licence. Journeyed to behind the Regent school off highway 36.

I had taken copies of:

-my passport,front page,visa page,arrival card page and date of arrival.

-my international driving permit..every page

-my domestic driving license for the UK both sides and the counterpart page

I had taken a report from my doctor and a letter from Immigration.

I arrived at 10.45 a.m.

Lady behind counter filled in my application form for me as it is all in Thai. I signed both the papers. Gave her all the copies. I was told that my name would be called to test my eyes. And a few minutes later it was. No problem so far.

Then I had to do the emergency stop test with the pedals on the floor. And also how you perceive distance test... can't explain this really ..two upright sticks in a box one is fixed inside the other can move about..it is up to you to line the sticks up from about 10 feet away. First time round I wasn't anywhere near. Next time ok and then I had to do it again!

Was told to sit and wait. They then called my name and gave me my licence. Went outside and had it laminated.

Got in the car 11.45 a.m.

Pretty ###### good I would say.

Go prepared with all your stuff ....NO problems.

begsaresponse :o

I had the same procedure last week at the Prakanon branch, the paralell stick thing was not as easy as it seemed, I failed it first time round to and had to do it again. I just hope that at the five year license stage I don't have to go through it again?

I had the same procedure last week at the Prakanon branch, the paralell stick thing was not as easy as it seemed, I failed it first time round to and had to do it again. I just hope that at the five year license stage I don't have to go through it again?

Don't worry, for the 5 year it's just a paperwork exercise, fill in the forms, hand over all your copies, photos etc, wait, pay, go home :o

I think I might go for it soon. I just have to renew my IDP in Brisbane later this month and when I come back and sign a new contract in November I'll go for my licence after that. Don't really need it, but it would be a useful local identification document and a sign to the Thais of my commitment to being here, I suppose, they seem to like that.

Don't worry, for the 5 year it's just a paperwork exercise, fill in the forms, hand over all your copies, photos etc, wait, pay, go home :o

Well, my experience has been the other way around - the 1-year was easy, the 5-year is still being frustrated by immigration's difficulties with the proof of address letter. I think it's a matter of one office being more fussy than another - chiang mai is fussy at present.

Well, my experience has been the other way around - the 1-year was easy, the 5-year is still being frustrated by immigration's difficulties with the proof of address letter. I think it's a matter of one office being more fussy than another - chiang mai is fussy at present.

I've got my 5 year application coming up next month in Nakhon Sawan. I'm still unsure if I need to get another (expensive) letter from UK Embassy proving where I still live?