Why Is Beer Lao So Good(and Thai Beer So Awful)?

jellymeister

I love some Thai beer, so don't know what's wrong with you guys? And I come from the land of Heineken, so I know what's good beer.

Most of my Dutch family in Limburg thinks Heineken is shit.

My favorite;

Well said by an inhabitant of the last colony of Holland :) , long life bronsgroeneikenhout.

I do wonder how they can justify the price of that over-rated Heineken.

Many people - including me - do not enjoy any other beer made in Thailand except Heineken. 10 or 15 baht more for a beer that actually tastes good is no big deal. :)

I see it often at premium rates. Such as 40 Baht more per bottle.

Still, everyone to their own tastes. It is good we do not all like the same :D

Would that be Heineken imported from the Netherlands? I would like to try it as some people say that it is much better.

Don't believe it, its the same sh'ite

I'm really surprised, and heartened, here by the majority sentiment of the comments.

For years, of all the somewhat dubious quality Thai beers, I've always liked Leo beer the best. And it's strange, because it tends to be the cheapest of the Thai-brewed beers routinely available in BKK -- compared to Singha, Chang, Tiger and Heineken..

I've had and enjoyed beers from all over the world, and tend to like beers for day-to-day drinking with a fresh, clean taste... Like Asahi, San Miguel, Ching Dao, etc etc... (when I'm not falling off the wagon and drinking darkie Guinness :) )

And now this thread comes along, and I see so many other farangs opining that they like Leo pretty much the best among the Thai beer choices... And I thought I was alone about that... (As an aside, when I walk around the streets these days in BKK, I also overwhelmingly see working-class Thais drinking Leo as well, though I suspect that's more a choice driven by price).

But it leaves me wondering: What are the Thais doing in the brewing of Leo that seems to give it a different taste and make it somewhat less injurious to one's body the next day???

I will have to give Leo a try, as I was always scared off by the cheap price in the past, which I thought probably meant even more chemicals.

One newer local beer which seems drinkable is Federbrau which they are claiming meets the Bavarian Purity Law criteria, although I would be interested to know if this is really true. So far the taste and hangover factors seem better than other Thai beers(and any foreign beer brands brewed in Thailand under license)

In the meantime, i am gonna get back to finishing off this case of Beer Lao, all this typing has made me thirsty....

I love some Thai beer, so don't know what's wrong with you guys? And I come from the land of Heineken, so I know what's good beer.

Please may you stop to call heineken a beer. :)

It's not for nothing a world famous beer my friend. Anyhow I like many beers, coming from The Netherlands, Heineken is my favorite. I assume you are from Belgium?

So is Coca Cola.

yes indeed I'm a Fleming, Belgian is well know for having the best beers in the world, more than different 400 brand's. BTW its have the best Chocolate also. Those are the things I mis the most in Thailand, and good beef of course.

I think the Germans might argue with you there!Although I do like Hoegardeen,it goes off quickly in the barrel,Duvel is too strong but I do like Chimay(not the stronger ones!)

I think the Germans might argue with you there!

And I think the People's Republic of Yorkshire might argue with you!

Aaah, 25 days and I'll be sitting on a dry stone wall looking out over Malham Cove cradling a pint of Theakston's Old Peculiar and a bag of Hedgehog flavour crisps.

Duvel? Chimay? Might as well drink bloody Malibu and pineapple. When you have to rely on Belgian bloody monks to make your beer, you know you're onto a bad one.

Ah'll sithee!

One newer local beer which seems drinkable is Federbrau which they are claiming meets the Bavarian Purity Law criteria, although I would be interested to know if this is really true. So far the taste and hangover factors seem better than other Thai beers(and any foreign beer brands brewed in Thailand under license)

In the meantime, i am gonna get back to finishing off this case of Beer Lao, all this typing has made me thirsty....

I doubt Federbräu meets the Reinheitsgebot criteria. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops. (WIKI)

Had a couple of bottles from a BKK 7-11 last October. Mediocre compared with Augustiner, but then I'm in Munich till end of next January.

Just have to pay the price of the expat swap from D to Th, lovely little bums after all those massive Bavarian... whoops.

Sorry for the Belgium guy, Heineken is a great beer, I do love most beers, due German, Belgium, American ( Budweiser for instance ), Tjech. I've tried em all, and like em mostly all. ( I also worked at a Heineken factory in Den Bosh, their B brand is Amstel)Still I prefer Heineken, for it's simple taste. I don't understand how you can compare it with "Dishwater". Belgium beers have in general more ingredients and herbs.

Henry could it be you are imbibing right now?

Not at all, but I do miss my favourite beer from back home; its not available in Thailand. please forgive my smart remarks its because I grew up in a country with a great beer culture. For us beer is not just a drink to get drunk its mmmmmmmmm.

Aaah, 25 days and I'll be sitting on a dry stone wall looking out over Malham Cove cradling a pint of Theakston's Old Peculiar and a bag of Hedgehog flavour crisps.

Duvel? Chimay? Might as well drink bloody Malibu and pineapple. When you have to rely on Belgian bloody monks to make your beer, you know you're onto a bad one.

Ah'll sithee!

Chimay yes, but Duvel (devil) is not brewed by monks

post-60101-1245576787_thumb.jpg

Mecca is not a black box in Arabia.

:D

If Beer Lao was available in Thailand a crate (or 2) would be on my shopping list every week :)

Maybe its time to visit Vientiane again? This time for pleasure!

I guess with that new Asean agreement it may be soon possible??

Ah'll sithee!

Chimay yes, but Duvel (devil) is not brewed by monks

It was the monks who invented beer so don't knock em!

It was the monks who invented beer so don't knock em!

With hops, perhaps.

Beer was spread through Europe by Germanic and Celtic tribes as far back as 3000 BC,[13] though it was mainly brewed on a domestic scale.[14] The product that the early Europeans drank might not be recognised as beer by most people today. The early European beers might contain alongside the basic starch source: fruits, honey, numerous types of plants, spices and other substances such as narcotic drugs.[15] What they did not contain was hops, as that was a later addition—first mentioned in Europe around 822 by a Carolingian Abbot[16] and again in 1067 by Abbess Hildegard of Bingen.[17]

Wiki

Ah'll sithee!

Theakston's Old Peculiar...on draught...The Holy Grail! :)

Don't understand this comment below... Beer Lao is available, at least, by the individual bottle in a variety of pubs and bars around my home in BKK... But I've not seen it offered in the local stores...

If Beer Lao was available in Thailand a crate (or 2) would be on my shopping list every week :)

:D You must be joking. Heineken is filtrated water from some obscure Amsterdam canal. Actual beer are made in UK, Belgium, Germany or Czech republic. But hey, don't be sad you guys still have some good looking girls and some nice windmills.

BTW I'm from Sweden so I know everything about explosives, pharmaceuticals, mobile phones, boring cars and sharing media illegally. :)

:D You must be joking. Heineken is filtrated water from some obscure Amsterdam canal. Actual beer are made in UK, Belgium, Germany or Czech republic. But hey, don't be sad you guys still have some good looking girls and some nice windmills.

BTW I'm from Sweden so I know everything about explosives, pharmaceuticals, mobile phones, boring cars and sharing media illegally. :)

Let's not leave the Irish out,love them or hate them(the beers/stouts that is,not the Irish!)Guinness and Kilkenny are also 2 of my favourites...guess I've got a lot! :D:D