---

90 days

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Korea (ROK)

Peru

ubonjoe,

Nationals of China (64,494), Hong Kong (15,919) and Taiwan (33,883) (as you can see above) may apply for Visa on Arrival.

It's a total of 114,296. It's already more than half of what you have calculated.

Your other estimates are probably of the same fuzzy value. For example, what European countries can't get a visa on arrival?

P.S.

I have found an answer to my question - Belarus, which have a total of maybe 100 tourists or less.

Edited by Condo_bk

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Not many European Nationals can get a Visa on Arrival.

Can you name some (with the tourists potential)?

Europeans who cannot get a Visa on Arrival.

UK, France, Italy , Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece , Sweden, Spain. etc.

To all ThaiVisa readers:

The following is to clarify my previous posting on ThaiVisa in regards to the further waiver of Tourist visa fees:

Firstly, I am not, and never have been, a formal "representative" of the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Calgary. My previous message was my own personal opinion and observations - they do not necessarily reflect those of the Honourary Consul-General in Calgary, the other Thai Honourary Consulates-General nor the Thai diplomatic posts around the world. I would like to forward my abject apologies to the Thai Government, the Thai diplomatic posts and Honourary Consulates-General around the world - again, the previous message was my feelings and opinions alone and I will accept all responsibility if I have inadvertently insulted anyone.

I did not expect such a reaction to my message - I was simply so incensed at the callous way some members of ThaiVisa reacted to the waiver of Tourist visa fees. Obviously they had no idea how Thai Honourary Consulates-General operated and I felt that someone should set them straight.

Thaical

http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

Take a look at the above first, and then, come back to me.

An entry under visa exemption is not a visa on arrival nor are the ones on a bilateral agreement. They don't get a visa they get an entry stamp with a permit to stay.

Here is what I said in my last post.

Just add the numbers for China, Taiwan, South Asia, Eastern Europe, Others for Europe, Others for Africa, Others for Middle East, Others for the Americas and all the remaining others and you will get a higher number than 220,000.

Use this list for the ones not to add into the total. http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

I included those that can get visas on arrival in my number. But not those on visa exemption or bilateral agreements.

There are not any on the visa exemption list from eastern europe.

You could subtract those on visa exemption and bilateral agreements from the total number of tourists and get a number also.

Yea, what you're saying is, visa is not a permission to enter and stay.

I rest my case. There is nothing more I can contribute to this discussion.

After all, you are the Super Moderators. Super being the keyword.

http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

Take a look at the above first, and then, come back to me.

That is exactly the document I was referring to and it states quite clearly who can apply for a Visa On Arrival.

You probably have some heavier drink or two, if you can't see the countries you mentioned previously on that list.

A Visa gives permission to ask to enter a country. A permission to stay gives you the right to stay.

You are getting confused between Visas on Arrival and Tourist Visa Exempt Entries.

Semantics aside, I have entered into discussion in reply to the statement of ubonjoe, that said:

"I think there might be a lot of people that are not from a counrty that is not one of the 39 that get visa exempt entries or the 12 that have bilateral agreements with Thailand.

There about 203 countries in the world so that leaves 142 that have to pay to get in the country. Out of the 142 there are 22 that can get a visa on arrival good for 15 days that normally costs 1000 baht. So that leaves 120 that must go to a consulate to ge a visa."

My point was that it is difficult to get a visa for tourists that have no Thai Embassis or Consulates in their countries/cities.

We are discussing here the issue of exemption of visa fees, don't we.

It does not matter how many of them have consulates or embassies. There is such a thing as postal and courier sevices that easily resolves that problem.

A small typo at 6 AM. It just makes it a higher number that don't get free entries.

The point was that their are a lot of people in the world that don't get free entries. There are lot of people posting on this forum that seem to think the entrire world can enter Thailand for free.

I dont think there are many who come here from all those other countries (120 that you stated ) that have to pay. There maybe 203 countries in the world but if you want to talk statistics then show me some how many people are coming here from those 120 countries.!!

Don't have numbers now, but you don't think China, Taiwan, India, along with Russia and several European countries, and countries in Central and South America within that group of 120 produce significant numbers of visitors?

Yes I agree, your right , they are countries !! But how many people FROM those countries come here sufficiantly to boost the coffers of Immigration or would apply for a FREE TOURIST VISA . Answers on a post-card please :)

Semantics aside, I have entered into discussion in reply to the statement of ubonjoe, that said:

"I think there might be a lot of people that are not from a counrty that is not one of the 39 that get visa exempt entries or the 12 that have bilateral agreements with Thailand.

There about 203 countries in the world so that leaves 142 that have to pay to get in the country. Out of the 142 there are 22 that can get a visa on arrival good for 15 days that normally costs 1000 baht. So that leaves 120 that must go to a consulate to ge a visa."

My point was that it is difficult to get a visa for tourists that have no Thai Embassis or Consulates in their countries/cities.

And my point was, that my co-workers and I encountered similar situations. At our location, we sometimes didn't have consulates for the countries we needed to visit. We simply completed the applications, obtained supporting documents if required, and we sent them to a consulate in a country nearest our location, or to a consulate in our home country. It was a fairly common occurance, and not difficult.

What puzzles me is why the Thai government cannot treat all nationals the same. Why make it so difficult for some nationals to visit the country?

Given that the social engineering program/experiment failed, and given the damage that the program has had on tourism, maybe they should make it easy for all nationals to visit Thailand.

Here is an idea: Issue a free 90 day visa upon arrival (no need to get it before entering the Kingdom and no exit airline ticket necessary) with unlimited extensions possible (pay as you go system) for all nationals.

And no border runs necessary. That might help........now they are just using smoke and mirrors.

Wow a free tourist visa, while Thailand remains the hardest country in the world to immigrate to. They need to make it easier to get long term visas. Im 27 and want to stay in Thailand for a year or 2 years. Everything is so cloudy with these requirements to get extensions every 3 months etc. while I can go to Malaysia for 6 months without a visa and only 30 days in Thailand without one. Theres lots of people like me, who could care less about spending money on a visa, as long as the visa lasts long enough to where we wont have to worry about getting extensions for awhile.

It seems that there is no coordination between different government ministries, i.e. the Health Ministry and Tourist Ministry.

If they knew that the capacity of blood tests for H1N1 Flu that Thailand can performed is already over the limit, why to invite more tourists to come to Thailand.

If they get sick, they can't even find what kind of flu is it. Refer to Patients In Thailand Can't Be Checked For H1n1 Flu.

Thailand will be better off by investing in the capacity of medical labs.

I wonder if the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO) is aware of the situation in Thailand.

Edited by Condo_bk

Not sure if the above is THE Alan Taylor but he is correct. See here. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

Thanks for letting us know.

In Phnom Penh I've just been quoted $10 from a travel agent. They say free if I go myself - I don't know, but 350baht for them to do doesn't sound too bad.

Not sure if the above is THE Alan Taylor but he is correct. See here. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

Thanks for letting us know.

In Phnom Penh I've just been quoted $10 from a travel agent. They say free if I go myself - I don't know, but 350baht for them to do doesn't sound too bad.

No Edit option showing. Correction, that's $5 (for a Cambodian anyway).

• 3 weeks later...

Visa is not so free...

In the UK, an admin charge of 17.5 GBP is requested for the 'free' visa!

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

Visa is not so free...

In the UK, an admin charge of 17.5 GBP is requested for the 'free' visa!

As far as I know certain Honorary Thai Consulates are charging an Admin fee to make up for loss of revenue. They rely on Visa revenue for their income. Unlike Embassies who get paid by the Thai government.

A Visa gives permission to ask to enter a country. A permission to stay gives you the right to stay.

You are getting confused between Visas on Arrival and Tourist Visa Exempt Entries.

I don't go along with your explanation.

A Visa gives you permission to enter a country. You ask for permission to enter the country when you apply for your visa.

The stamp you get when you enter tells you how long you're allowed to stay.

Of course the immigration officer always has the right to refuse entry.

Of course the immigration officer always has the right to refuse entry.

That is key - as long as you understand that you do not have the right to entry if the gate keeper says no. Unfortunately too many travelers do not understand that and to use the dictionary definition adds to there confusion. In effect it is a letter of invitation that the country involved can refuse to honor at the entry.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that the Thai Government are targeting the least expensive incentive they can as there are very few tourist who do a single entry to stay more than a month.

I come in out of Thailand every month as a tourist and obviously spend a lot more in country than most tourists however I have just paid 110 pound sterling at the Hull consulate to get a multiple entry to do things correctly.

Where is my incentive?