Cinemas In Bangkok

davejonesbkk

A personal gripe of mine... only a small fraction of the movies produced in America ever make it to Thailand. And those that do, are often "slash em, gory mirror images of Thai movies (ie ghost or gruesome murder movies)

Recent memorable movies???... "Drag Me to hel_l" NOT AT ALL like the trailer made it seem... it was a hilarious parody, really, VERY funny, :D shockingly so, NOT gruesome, with moments of intense SCARE!! that make me scream!!! LOUDLY!!! :D:D:D perhaps the best movie I've seen in recent times...

Most amazing clunker??? 2022 Tsunami... without a doubt the worst movie I can remember seeing my entire life, all 59 years. Terrible acting, Terrible story, adults all behaved like they had IQs of about 20 or 22, and "special effects" that were "special" like a saturday morning cartoon is "special", with the same cartoon quality. When one of the leading characters' best friend is a MONKEY (yes!) you know you're in trouble. :D

I remember reading in the news that the most recent year of moviegoers represented a reduced profit from the prior year... and the decision made at that time was to REDUCE the number of American movies to be shown in theaters this year... And it looks like they're following through on that decision. Another brilliant marketing decision; reduced income from movies??? Reduce the number of movies....

And sure enough... I go to the movies once a week religeously (date night with the boyfriend) and I can tell you we've recently been hitting rock bottom, having to resort to watching 2008 FRENCH movies... at the SIAM Lido... where I discovered, simultaneously, that...

THERE WAS NO POPCORN :P:) THAT COULD PURCHASED, and

THE M&Ms THAT WERE AVAILABLE WERE ROTTEN, STALE, :D HAVING COST 1/2 THE PRICE OF THE MOVIE ADMISSION.

Sometimes it drives me slightly nuts having decided to live my life here... this was one of those nights.

Now that Transformers is here... look for a complete absence of any new film to be released here, for the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to seeing Transformers at the IMAX this next week!!! Will avoid the Loge Couches this time, however, since the last time, I was looking at the tops of people's heads, alongside the bottom of the screen... and I'm 6 feet 5 inches tall! Oops, minor design error!

Thailand... you gotta love it. :P I'm serious, you GOTTA love it, there IS NO CHOICE!

It does feel that way sometimes... it's that or return to the total decay and breakdown of America as I knew it... I'll take my chances here, any day.

Thank god we can download Hollywood movies, (as my esteemed colleague said... by alternative means,) as soon as they hit DVD!

Take care, all,

Pawpcorn

(edited to remove any mention of doing anything that could be construed as being immoral, unjust, unwise, a violation of copyright laws, illegal, unlawful, or objectionable. Is "download" OK?) :D

Edited by Pawpcorn

What's wrong with 2008 French movies? So if a movie is not from the States it is not good? If I were you I would open my eyes a bit. I have recently watched very good movies from Germany, Korea, Italy, Argentina/Chili, Austria, the Netherlands, Thailand etc etc.

Imported movies, especially from the States cost the cineplexes more than local movies or Asian movies. So it is kinda logical they show less of them to cut cost and they only show those movies in genres that Thais like! Whoch means horror/slasher and comedy movies. Makes business sense to show what the Thai audience likes doesn't it?

Waerth

Now if you want obscure you must think out of the box.

The answer is the cinema located inside Thammasat University's Tha Prachan campus (that's the one next to Chao Praya river, and a rifle shot away from Sanan Luang red-shirt parade ground). The cinema is on the 1st underground floor of the underground main library.

I would provide you the link to their latest schedule, but just as you might hope for Indy stuff, the link does not work. There is this delicious sense of incompetence. Yet the films do get shown. Thoughts are provoked. There seem to be two film 'choosers' that compete to show who has the more sophisticated taste. Usually the Indy stuff is shown on Thursdays at 5pm. The Sunday showings are more mainstream (although for Thailand they are still hardcore Indy).

As an example, they recently showed the landmark Japanese film 'Funeral Parade of Roses'.

post-60541-1246252060_thumb.jpg

Here is a Bangkok Post article on it:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/leisure/leisure...provoking-films

Of course, it's free as well.

So to find out the schedule go to the main library or 'ask a librarian' by e-mail here:

http://library.tu.ac.th/eng/

Enjoy.

transformers was CRAP. if you think that is what film making is about, you are just the average hollywood blockbuster moviegoer with no taste or respect for technical film direction.

Ouch!!! <deleted>?

transformers was CRAP. if you think that is what film making is about, you are just the average hollywood blockbuster moviegoer with no taste or respect for technical film direction.

Ouch!!! <deleted>?

oh sorry i wasn't trying to be harsh, i was just commenting on the movie in general, not specifically targeted towards you, but i really didn't enjoy it. the first one was good imo. the second one bombed.

Edited by akarmaka

Yes, well sounds like you don't like Lido but you can find less mainstream American films there along with Scala and Siam Apex, all within walking distance of each other and are "Apex" cinemas I think. I disagree that you can only find blockbusters and gore movies from Hollywood, as I've seen several good dramas that surely didn't do too much business in the U.S. Seen them in Siam Square at before mentioned cinemas, but also Emporium often has one drama or comedy that barely makes anything in the U.S. but often has some quality nonetheless. You aren't going to get every single movie you would be able to get in the U.S., but Bangkok isn't America, and you get access to some of the best cinemas in the world and also to many movies you wouldn't be able to see in the U.S. Also, House RCA has some great indy films, American and otherwise. For complete movie schedules that are fairly accurate, you should check out this site.

In Fortune IT Mall on the same floor as true coffee shop there is a shop forget the name sorry. Which stocks independent, foreign, classic & cult films (disc to disc copies) it is to date the only place i have found that offers this kind of thing in bangkok. the guy there really knows his onions. A lot of films are filed by director. A lot of discs do come with Thai subs so great if you are trying to get a Thai person into non mainstream flicks.

Yes I'm also surprised The Hangover and Bruno is not being released over here. But still at least Public Enemies is coming out here next month.Moon looks good but what can we do when they are not released here. Still the Movie cinemas here in Bangkok are some of the nicest places to go see a movie.