Cost Of Ambulance Service

MeetJohnDoe

I am just curious if anyone has any information on what an ambulance service would cost back in Farangland (USA) if insurance or self-pay. Today I had to arrange a non-emergency pick-up of a friend for a broken ankle by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. The cost for the non-critical care ambulance, which still comes with an MD, nurse, EMT, and driver was B 2500 (US$ 80), which I found to be ridiculously cheap. Of course, this was for basically just for transportation as no acute emergency medical care was required. I would imagine a comparable service in USA would cost from $ 700-$ 1000...is that in the ballpark?

His total bill for ambulance transport, x-rays, doctor consults and nursing services, cast-setting, a set of crutches, and 30 minutes in rehab to get the hang of the crutches was B 20k (US$ 623). [Fairly serious ankle break as they said would need cast for about 3 months.] Again, I thought that was very reasonable. Total hospital time about 3 hours (in treatment of various sorts...not waiting around).

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

And this is a very expensive hospital.

1 transport with Emergency Car from Hua Hin to Bumrungrad in Bangkok was 2200 baht.

That certainly is cheap...about the cost of a taxi. Did this "Emergency Car" include skilled attending medical staff? If so, was that itemized separately on the final hospital bill? My friend's hospital bill broke the ambulance service into 2 separate entries in different areas of the bill: B 1500 for "Ambulance Service" and a B 1000 charge, in the medical services area of the bill, for Ambulance MD, so the total was B 2500.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe