Poll: Farang Distribution In Isaan

Svenn

Where in Isaan do you live or own a home?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If this poll has been done before, feel free to close this thread.

I'm just curious where the most farangs are located in Isaan, my hunch is Udon or Surin, but there's been a lot of Ubon posts lately. Please vote and give your thoughts!

I'm just curious where the most farangs are located in Isaan, my hunch is Udon or Surin, but there's been a lot of Ubon posts lately. Please vote and give your thoughts!

I don't know if this has been done before but it's a good idea even if it's not very accurate.

I still live in the UK but I hope to go to live with my gf in Mahasarakham. I know there is a Norwegian in the village (ban non pek)who seems unpopular and there are some who meet up there. I must admit I didn't see any farang outside of the city and I think only 2 maybe 3 in town.

hello,this is bill and i am living in khon kaen.i have been here since the last of may of this year.the first time i was in thailand was during the vietnam war.i was stationed in ubon in the air force.this is my 5th time to thailand and this time i will be living here.where are you located at Svenn.talk to you later.Bill

Hey bufaloe

I was stationed at Ubon from '73-'74 and Udorn from '68-'69 and now live in Det Udom, 40k south of Ubon Ratchatani. Been here for 2 years now. I have an American friend. living in Ban Nong Yau, that was at Ubon in '72 and has been here 7+ years. We are both retired Air Force.

Interesting responses so far, I'm surprised Buriram is so far ahead as of now, though I think I can put those farangs in the Surin category, along with Sisaket... since Surin is the biggest city around. Why are there so many farangs in that area? Is it really because the locals there have more khmer-attributes like darker skin that appeal to westerners? or maybe it's the poorest part of Isaan and thus gets the most ambitious girls?

Seems like beyond that, there is also the old US military category of farangs in Udon and Ubon.

I'm thinking of starting another poll on other subjects to get a full census of isaan :)

Total Votes: 54. This time I only count 48. Who's running this vote, G.W? :)

Iranian mullah's

TBWG :D

I see 60 versus 62 - obviously there are a couple of "Don't Know's" somewhere :D

Buriram is looking distinctly over-populated !

Is there a way of seeing the results without voting ?

My girl is from Sis ka ret area but when we marry i am still deciding if it is that area where we will live.

How do I get one the Mods to add to the poll for me?

I don't like to see my Sakon Nakhon on zero. :)

Hey longstebe, just create a new account like 'longstebe2' or something; do the vote; then just don't use that account again. I don't think the mods know of another way to do it. Xen- if you're likely to move to Sisaket, just pick it.

My wife and I have a house just north of Nong Bua Daeng in Chaiyaphum province. Within a radius of 20km of us are about forty other

Europeans, Americans and Antipodeans that I know. Most don't live there full time yet but a few do.

When I first started to visit Thailand I read the Lonely Planet Guide and it stated that "there are more tigers than tourists in the province

of Chaiyaphum and there aren't many tigers". Still not many tourists but there's a good bunch of guys living in our small area.

Interesting responses so far, I'm surprised Buriram is so far ahead as of now, though I think I can put those farangs in the Surin category, along with Sisaket...

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, there are probably more ex-pats in the one small town that I live in than there are in some other entire provinces. And you can't lump in Buriram with Surin as the only reason most of us venture anywhere near Surin these days is because it has an immigration office and Buriram doesn't (or ThaiVisa is having a party there)

Why are there so many farangs in that area? Is it really because the locals there have more khmer-attributes like darker skin that appeal to westerners? or maybe it's the poorest part of Isaan and thus gets the most ambitious girls?

Or it could be that there is a higher percentage of ex-pats that spend more time on the net than propping up a bar :)

Hey bufaloe

I was stationed at Ubon from '73-'74 and Udorn from '68-'69 and now live in Det Udom, 40k south of Ubon Ratchatani. Been here for 2 years now. I have an American friend. living in Ban Nong Yau, that was at Ubon in '72 and has been here 7+ years. We are both retired Air Force.

I live about 25K outside of Det Udom towards Bangkok. As I do not know any other Farang in the area I would be interested in maybe meeting up for a beer sometime. Pls PM me if you are interested

Interesting responses so far, I'm surprised Buriram is so far ahead as of now,... Why are there so many farangs in that area? Is it really because the locals there have more khmer-attributes like darker skin that appeal to westerners? or maybe it's the poorest part of Isaan and thus gets the most ambitious girls?

I don't know about the most ambitious... I do know that during my years in the Jomtien/Pattaya area, '99-'05. Seven out of ten girls I would meet, said they came from Buriram when asked.

Interesting responses so far, I'm surprised Buriram is so far ahead as of now,... Why are there so many farangs in that area? Is it really because the locals there have more khmer-attributes like darker skin that appeal to westerners? or maybe it's the poorest part of Isaan and thus gets the most ambitious girls?

I don't know about the most ambitious... I do know that during my years in the Jomtien/Pattaya area, '99-'05. Seven out of ten girls I would meet, said they came from Buriram when asked.

Yes, most hookers come from Surin/Buriram.

----------------------------------------------------

hello Svenn...

I live just outside Chaiyaphum (5 km) in a village called NONG NASAENG, We are a couple of falangs that live on a special "SOI" , and we

have it great here.

I know that there are living around 70-100 falangs counting in the surrounding areas of Chaiyaphum, and in Chaiyaphum itself I guess there is round

35 falangs.

Glegolo

I don't think this poll is a direct reflection of Expats living in the Northeast of Thailand. Their are much more living in Udorn, and Korat than reflected in the poll.

Barry

Yes, but like any other poll it's representative of a small percentage of the total Farang with a Thai connection.

Two of us did a recent head count of the Farang we know personally just living in our little Amphur, Ban Dung.

Full Time --- 39

6 months or more a year --- 30

Annual Visitors --- 24

Only 5 or 6 of the total are ThaiVisa members and one other than my self who is likely to vote.

AND. There are loads of Europeans etc. that we don't know.

Edited by bdenner

i live in nong kung sri kalasin in our village there are 4 falang i am the only one with internet we have another visiting from nz at the moment and know of another 10 or so falang who comesand goes.

i was talking to howard at castle-howchow resort the other day he said in kranuan there are about 100 falang who live there on and on, and about 30 there at present.

Ubon here (actually, across the river in Warin Chamrap), though we're only here a couple weeks or a month per year.

Also, don't know if I can speak for others, but I ran into another farang (Kiwi) just a block away from our suburban baan the other day.

Two of us did a recent head count of the Farang we know personally just living in our little Amphur, Ban Dung.

Full Time --- 39

6 months or more a year --- 30

Annual Visitors --- 24

Only 5 or 6 of the total are ThaiVisa members and one other than my self who is likely to vote.

AND. There are loads of Europeans etc. that we don't know.

Really? There are that many farang around Ban Dung? We are north (halfway between Ban Dung and Phon Phisai) and rarely ever see another whitie. I'm gonna make a point of dragging hubby down there for a look-see during our next visit in a week or two.