Retirement Visa And Medical Exam

I went to the Los Angeles Thai Embassy today to ask a few questions about getting a Thai visa for a retirement (long time with multiple entry).

I explained to the lady at the information desk that I visited my doctor and he told me he had no idea how I could even get a test for Leprosy or elephantiasis. He's not a new kid on the block as he's 60 years old. He suggested I call the Center for Communicable Disease control (CDC) in Atlanta. that seemed a little over the top to me. By that I mean is it possible the Thai's want a test that is so rarely given that I have to call a central place in the USA like that to get any info.

The embassy would not give me any recommendations for a local doctor.

I just want the path of least resistance.

The lady told me that my print out for financial was fine and she said I could type out the immigration medical form all in english and just get one of the four copies required notarized.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

is it really easy to only request a 60 day visa and get all this sorted out in LOS? And where would I go to do that?

I went to the VA and the doctor had a good laugh then signed off on it. To answer your second question I found that getting the OA retirement visa in the states prior to arrival here was much easier due to landing in Thailand with a year of no problems and the running around trying to figure out what was needed here but I knew nobody to help out. But once again not having to depend on someone else was a nice feeling and if you work your OA properly you can get the second year for free with just having to renew your mult entry for 3800bt

I went to the VA and the doctor had a good laugh then signed off on it. To answer your second question I found that getting the OA retirement visa in the states prior to arrival here was much easier due to landing in Thailand with a year of no problems and the running around trying to figure out what was needed here but I knew nobody to help out. But once again not having to depend on someone else was a nice feeling and if you work your OA properly you can get the second year for free with just having to renew your mult entry for 3800bt

Many thanks for your reply.

I served in the US military but I don't have VA health coverage due to the VA financial restrictions.

I accept whatever the cost is for various Thai visa requirements.

i just want an easy path and no problems in the future.

I think the LA embassy is not going to relent on the medial.

I would look for an Asian or Thai doctor locally. Shouldn't be difficult to find, may take a few phone calls or maybe via the web somehow.

I would definitely get your visa in the States. Any visa related activities are a pain to do in Thailand - trips to the U.S. Embassy, Thai Immigration, translations, etc. You want to avoid all that, trust me.

A word of advice. When the members wake up (it's only 5:30am in Thailand now), they and the mods will tell you exactly what is needed to get your Non Immigrant O-A (retirement) visa from the Thai Embassy in LA. Follow their instructions to the letter. They may refer you to an existing thread which has all the information you need in there.

Oh, one thing further. I would recommend a multiple entry visa, not a single. A multiple has some advantages the mods will tell you about. Mine was a single entry and I regretted that when I went for my one year extension. ThaiVisa.com will help you sort everything out. Great group of guys & gals.

Good luck, maybe we'll see you someday at a TV get-together.

Edited by Lopburi99

You would be better off getting a Multi Entry Non O-A Visa. This would give you up to 2 years before you have to apply for extensions. You may find that LA will not issue this but there are Consulates in the States that do.

1. The medical is not designed for test but for interview and physical exam. Most US doctors do not understand that (with there malpractice insurance requirements) but that is what that form is for.

2. Do you have 65k per month retirement or will you require bank account balance of 400k two months? It is very easy from tourist visa to one year extension of stay here in Bangkok. Or better yet if you arrive on single entry non immigrant O visa (by mail from Consulate other than LA) you visit US Embassy when down to last 30 days (of the 90 day entry). Make appointment online and should only take 20 minutes. You fill in blanks on a one page form and sign in front of Consular Officer after paying $30 fee. Or if you use the 400k method you visit bank and obtain a 200 baht letter of your account balance and bank passbook/copies. You then visit Immigration with that paper and fill out TM.7 form for one year extension of stay for 1,900 baht. No police check and most places no medical form. But even if needed the medical takes a few minutes and very cheap.

EDIT to clarify can either change from tourist visa or use non immigrant - non-immigrant easier and cheaper in long run as you might need two letters from Embassy if using tourist change method.

Edited by lopburi3

On a trip to Thailand I got the medical cert done. Then, back in the States, I sent in my documents to the LA Consulate for my OA visa. The medical cert was rejected because it needed to be from a US doctor.

So, I went to my regular doc, who is an elderly Chinese-American, and between the two of us we figured out what blanks to fill in on the mostly-Thai form.

Look for a travel medicine clinic where I believe they will understand that in your case this document is more a testament to your overall health.

Any doctor can just look at you and determine that you don't have elephantiasis.

I used my medical certificate that I got at CMU for 70 Baht for my O-A visa. The Consulate said to just make sure it was in English. They have the proper form in the computer at CMU and it is in Thai and English. The doctor told me that he could tell just by looking at me that I am not a leper.

2. Do you have 65k per month retirement or will you require bank account balance of 400k two months? It is very easy from tourist visa to one year extension of stay here in Bangkok. Or better yet if you arrive on single entry non immigrant O visa (by mail from Consulate other than LA) you visit US Embassy when down to last 30 days (of the 90 day entry). Make appointment online and should only take 20 minutes. You fill in blanks on a one page form and sign in front of Consular Officer after paying $30 fee. Or if you use the 400k method you visit bank and obtain a 200 baht letter of your account balance and bank passbook/copies. You then visit Immigration with that paper and fill out TM.7 form for one year extension of stay for 1,900 baht. No police check and most places no medical form. But even if needed the medical takes a few minutes and very cheap.

B400k?

I did not go the O-A route and am very happy that I did not. Who needs the extra hassle of the medical exam and police report? Getting a retirement extension in Thailand is easy, just learn the rules, and follow them. One idea I had about getting a medical in the US if you need it and don't have a regular doc is to go to one of those doc in a box clinics for Mexican immigrants, they can surely relate to immigration problems there and may be less lawsuit phobic than gringo oriented doctors.

There are initial benefits to the O-A but over time, you are in the same boat as all of us, getting retirement extensions in Thailand again and again, same rules whether you came in on an O-A or even a 30 day stamp!

The embassy in Washington will require a US doctor. I don't know about LA.

Edited by Jingthing

B400k?

No. 800k. New computer and still having troubles with change to laptop keyboard. :)