Spanish, 26, Wanting To Stay For A Year...

(Situation is kind of similar to this one.)

My boyfriend is 26, a resident of Spain, and employed by a Spanish company.

He wants to try his hand at living in Thailand for a year before we decide to get married and move to Spain (besides, it'd be nice to have him get to know the country that I was born and that I live in, and to taste a different culture -- and hey, who knows, he might end up liking it). He'd continue to work remotely for his company (he does software programming / IT consultation), as well as receive a monthly salary from it.

His company probably wouldn't want to go through the trouble of setting up something here, and he's only going to be here for a year, maybe less.... I know it's possible for him to come here on a 60-day tourist visa, then get a 30-day visa extension, but I'm still kind of hazy about what he's supposed to do after that for the rest of the time. Visa runs every month, for the rest of the year?

Edited by Mallika

As far as i can see his work doesnt come into it with regard to visa/stay in Thailand the best he can hope for is to apply for a triple entry tourist visa at his local Thai Embassy/Consulate (or double entry if triple entry not possible) this will give him 9 months stay (with 30 day extensions) or 6 months in the case of the double entry. If he obtains the double and wishes to stay beyond the 6 month period he will have to go to a neighbouring country (normally Penang Malaysia) to obtain a new double entry visa which will give him another 6 months stay effectively.

As  far  as  i  can  see  his  work  doesnt  come  into  it  with  regard  to  visa/stay  in  Thailand  the  best  he  can  hope  for  is  to  apply  for  a  triple  entry  tourist  visa  at  his  local  Thai  Embassy/Consulate  (or  double  entry  if  triple  entry  not  possible)  this  will  give  him  9 months  stay  (with  30  day  extensions)  or  6  months  in  the  case  of  the  double  entry. If  he  obtains  the  double  and  wishes  to  stay  beyond  the  6  month  period  he  will  have  to  go  to  a  neighbouring  country  (normally  Penang  Malaysia)  to  obtain  a  new  double  entry  visa  which  will  give  him  another  6  months  stay  effectively.

He could try for a multi B at the Consulate's in either Barcelona or Teneriffe.

Dr. Pat Pong said that he could try for a multi B visa ... but I kind of got the idea that those were only issued out if you had business matters to attend to. As in, a Thai company wanting to hire/sponsor you. Hmm. What if you don't have that?

This is going to sound stupid, but is a multi B visa also issued if you're here for the purpose of visiting friends/family, then? Is that why it was said he could get one?

Just curious.

Dr. Pat Pong said that he could try for a multi B visa ... but I kind of got the idea that those were only issued out if you had business matters to attend to. As in, a Thai company wanting to hire/sponsor you. Hmm. What if you don't have that?

This is going to sound stupid, but is a multi B visa also issued if you're here for the purpose of visiting friends/family, then? Is that why it was said he could get one?

Just curious.

The two consulates mentioned are said to be easy. Perhaps the guy should try talking to them. BTW I said he could try not that he could.