Pratumnak Hill

MAC10

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NanLaew - nothing has changed my tune at all. Given the choice, I would not live or work in Pattaya-Jomtien at all. But my employer is here and so I have to make the best of it. At 2,500 baht a month for a seaview studio, I think that's pretty good.

Have you nothing better to do that research old posts? :)

Simon

Not research luv, just a memory like a steel trap.

I will admit that Pattaya-Jomtien is a bit of a dogs dinner but I live in Naklua so, like you, my place is different too!

At 2,500 baht a month for a seaview studio, I think that's pretty good.

Simon

Good deal!

There are definitely rooms in that range on the hill, although not exactly serviced apartments with 4/5 star facilities.

A studio is just another name (or real-estate parlance) for a room isn't it? I mean your bed (in the middle of the lounge), sticking out between the kitchen alcove with a kettle & microwave and the balcony... you do have a balcony don't you? That's usually the balcony that shares space with the airconditioner condenser unit; great for drying clothes on! TV is maximum 10' in front of your eyes but with some craftily placed mirrors, the place looks huge.

To be honest, Simon hasn't claimed it's even 3 star but it does show that if 'rooms' are 2500 baht/month, then it sure as sh!t isn't no Beverley Hills.

That was then.
I moved from Phuket to Pattaya-Jomtien a few months ago because I started a new job and my US employer had offices in the town. I can say that the only thing that keeps me in Pattaya is my job. I know that I will probably get flamed by some members for saying this, but the town is the absolute gutter of the universe :)

I lived in Phuket (not Patong) for several years, and the change from a small village environment to Pattaya is obviously huge. As soon as I have saved some money from my job then I will be relocating to somewhere more 'normal' in Thailand.

Sorry - Pattaya is not my cup of tea :D

Simon

This is now.

I've been living 'on the hill' since relocating from Phuket in April. Absolutely no problems at all, very nice area.

Just moving into a brand new 5 x 12 meter 4th floor studio with secure car-park, air-con, bathroom, kitchenette and a great sea view of the islands, only 300 meters from the park.

Hugely overpriced at 2,500 baht per month :D:D:D

Simon

Hmmmmm... what changed your tune in the space of what.... eight days?

Looks to me that one post is describing Pattaya town (the town is the absolute gutter of the universe)

and the other post is describing Pratumnak ( I've been living 'on the hill' .....very nice area.) which is not in Pattaya town.

^ Right... Pratumnak is NOT in "Pattaya-Jomtien" per se. It's that imaginary, acclaimed, super-special, semi-autonomous, coveted, secret-hideaway, snobby, hi-so bit of planned urban development that just happens to sit BETWEEN Pattaya and Jomtien.

How could I have forgotten that.

^ Preconceived..... like the much vaunted and exclusive Pratumnak Hill zoning laws.

I will admit that it is taking an awful lot longer than the surrounding bits to become a slum, but as my primary school headmaster used to preface his most profound statements, "In the fullness of time...."

Lived on the beach side of Pratumnak for more than 4 years and never had any trouble.

Sea-view of the islands, beach a few hundred meters away and nice and quiet when you need to get away from it all.

My mate lives on Soi Excite and is always trying to coerce me into moving down his way;

"This is where it's all happening, I can walk down to Soi Bukhaeo and grab a beer in 2 minutes..."

Sure.

But when you have a hangover and need some peace if you live in the thick of it all there is no respite.

For me it is the right balance and well positioned, just a 3 min ride to walking street or a 2 min walk to a quiet beach.

it is only a matter of time that living around pratumnak hill you will encounter grief . the hill is burglar central and whenever you stray outside , your mind is thinking that your house is next . the hill is very quiet which is its best feature after the mayhem , noise and pattaya traffic ( apart from construction ) but it is really a mega-hyped estate agent driven , sloping wasteland of dis-jointed clusters of luxury properties . do not even think about going down to the attractive beach after sunset for a stroll without your ak47 - you have been warned .

A studio is just another name (or real-estate parlance) for a room isn't it? I mean your bed (in the middle of the lounge), sticking out between the kitchen alcove with a kettle & microwave and the balcony... you do have a balcony don't you? That's usually the balcony that shares space with the airconditioner condenser unit; great for drying clothes on! TV is maximum 10' in front of your eyes but with some craftily placed mirrors, the place looks huge[\quote]

The studio is the width of a shophouse and the complete front-to-back depth which in this case is about 12 meters. There is a small balcony at the front, and a large window at the back that overlooks the sea and Koh Larn. A small bathroom with hot shower, air-con unit and kitchenette. I took some photos on my iphone but need to get them transferred over to my PC for uploading.

It's not 5 star by any accounts, but is very good value and location for a single chap.

In my previous comments, I was primarily referring to Pattaya Town. However, I personally cannot see the point of moving halfway round the world and still living with your own countrymen/women. That's why I'm happier living in a rural or predominatly Thai location. (When I stayed in Phuket, there were only a couple of other farang in the moobahn, although of course there were plenty who stayed at my (ex's) hotel.

Simon

Seems to me its typical Pattaya, maybe a little better. It was funny to read the one post about how it was too far from the action. I suppose if I ever buy anything there I would add plenty of extra security measures like bars and padlocks. In the end it does not pay to have very much here anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I am on a new estate not far from the police box, by big budda, gated and security guards, several breakins already.

I have lived in Pratmanak hill for 6 years & we have never had any attempted burglaries, we just have an alarm

I suppose there are no burglaries or any trouble on the dark side or any other Ptty areas??? DREAM ON!

Pratmanak hill is 5 mins from downtown & everything you want, but quite location, 3 mins from the beach & some houses have great sea views such as mine, what can be wrong with that then?

Edited by dickie58

It's hard to find anything else to put as a detractor. Great views, it doesn't flood, it's close to everything. What else can one complain about? The road being too steep? Sun too bright?

There are indeed real security issues that one can deal with... and that likely will one day be pushed out completely as the slums get flattened and squatter colonies get pushed out one by one, it's the same for some areas of Bangkok even. Second, the water pumping issue, also can be dealt with for around US$1500 (just have 2-3+ spare tanks). That leaves the last factor, the relatively higher land prices. Well, as the flight attendant closes the curtain between your cabin and the biz and first class cabin says in her eyes with a smile...."you should have worked harder/smarter."

:)

A question to the detractors. If not Pratumnak hill then where would you say is the best area to live in the Pattaya area. When I say live I don't mean a two week tourist but someone staying for a long time or actually living full time in Pattaya. Also let's say that money isn't an issue.

"Best" is an infinite debatable and some people have different views regards personal mobility, public transport, shopping (for food and essentials), dining, security, view, utilities... the list is endless.

On the seaward side of Sukhumvit, Naklua (beach side of the Pattaya-Naklua Rd, between the Dusit and as far north as the condo developments) had a sense of small town, especially the closer you get to the sea. Some nice old bungalows on quieter. wider streets down that way.

Pratumnak does have a sense of isolation that is nice and it is well located between the two eyesores of Pattaya and Jomtien.

The 'dark-side' has some sweet spots and nice estates but development may turn some of them sour. You never really know who you may get as a neighbour out there. I am not too familiar with the stuff scattered around Mabprachan but I am sure there's some gems out there. Same for the more expensive developments towards Regents School.

If you want to venture further south, the 'bad lands' out Huai Yai (inland and across Sukhumvit from Jomtien) has the quiet country feel to it. Some nice developments out there as well as some stunning individual private houses.

Further south there's 'the next big thing' at Ban Sare. If managed well, it could be 'nice' for another 10-12 years.

Then again back across Sukhumvit and inland towards Ban Chang where theres some really nice hilly country and some small "boutique" estates springing up.

That's my pick!

Edited by NanLaew

That was then.
I moved from Phuket to Pattaya-Jomtien a few months ago because I started a new job and my US employer had offices in the town. I can say that the only thing that keeps me in Pattaya is my job. I know that I will probably get flamed by some members for saying this, but the town is the absolute gutter of the universe :)

I lived in Phuket (not Patong) for several years, and the change from a small village environment to Pattaya is obviously huge. As soon as I have saved some money from my job then I will be relocating to somewhere more 'normal' in Thailand.

Sorry - Pattaya is not my cup of tea :D

Simon

This is now.

I've been living 'on the hill' since relocating from Phuket in April. Absolutely no problems at all, very nice area.

Just moving into a brand new 5 x 12 meter 4th floor studio with secure car-park, air-con, bathroom, kitchenette and a great sea view of the islands, only 300 meters from the park.

Hugely overpriced at 2,500 baht per month :D:D:D

Simon

Hmmmmm... what changed your tune in the space of what.... eight days?

What a strange man that Simon is

"Best" is an infinite debatable and some people have different views regards personal mobility, public transport, shopping (for food and essentials), dining, security, view, utilities... the list is endless.

On the seaward side of Sukhumvit, Naklua (beach side of the Pattaya-Naklua Rd, between the Dusit and as far north as the condo developments) had a sense of small town, especially the closer you get to the sea. Some nice old bungalows on quieter. wider streets down that way.

Pratumnak does have a sense of isolation that is nice and it is well located between the two eyesores of Pattaya and Jomtien.

The 'dark-side' has some sweet spots and nice estates but development may turn some of them sour. You never really know who you may get as a neighbour out there. I am not too familiar with the stuff scattered around Mabprachan but I am sure there's some gems out there. Same for the more expensive developments towards Regents School.

If you want to venture further south, the 'bad lands' out Huai Yai (inland and across Sukhumvit from Jomtien) has the quiet country feel to it. Some nice developments out there as well as some stunning individual private houses.

Further south there's 'the next big thing' at Ban Sare. If managed well, it could be 'nice' for another 10-12 years.

Then again back across Sukhumvit and inland towards Ban Chang where theres some really nice hilly country and some small "boutique" estates springing up.

That's my pick!

Aye good answer. I do actually live in Pratumnak, it suited my requirements I was just curious as to what other areas people considered desireable. I know the Naklua area is or used to be considered to be a bit upmarket. What I've found to be one of the biggest considerations as to where you live is to figure out where you like to go on a daily or nightly basis and then see how long it takes you to get there everyday from your house. I would say Pattaya traffic is the most frustrating thing you'll deal with on a daily basis so spending longer in it than you need to will just drive you nuts. Time in traffic doesn't always relate to distance either, a lot of people living on the dark side will tell you theyre just 10 minutes from downtown pattaya on a good day but at other times 40 minutes.

Aye good answer. I do actually live in Pratumnak, it suited my requirements I was just curious as to what other areas people considered desireable. I know the Naklua area is or used to be considered to be a bit upmarket. What I've found to be one of the biggest considerations as to where you live is to figure out where you like to go on a daily or nightly basis and then see how long it takes you to get there everyday from your house. I would say Pattaya traffic is the most frustrating thing you'll deal with on a daily basis so spending longer in it than you need to will just drive you nuts. Time in traffic doesn't always relate to distance either, a lot of people living on the dark side will tell you theyre just 10 minutes from downtown pattaya on a good day but at other times 40 minutes.

You bring up a valid point. If a person gets around in a car and frequents the 2nd Road area of town they will be very frustrated living on the hill as there is an almost permanent grid lock in the lower Pratumnak Road area near Walking Street. I scoot through there on a motorbike but I definitely couldn't handle it in a car.

I deal with that by cutting through Soi Yensabai, Pattaya Tai, past Wat Chai... can sometimes jam up as well, but I'll take a Pattaya traffic jam to BKK any day. I find myself going out along 3rd Road more often though, and rarely on weekends so traffic is a non-issue.

Traffic is a problem wherever you live in Pattaya, so it's not something that's a unique issue with living in Pratumnak.

I use the same back streets as Heng and Pratumnak has the advantage of having the almost empty Thepprasit (except on market days) to shoot up and head along Sukhimvit.

Despite all the comments about bad traffic, I have never been delayed more than a few minutes whilst driving my car either from Patumanak Hill down to Pattaya, or from Pratumnak Hill down to Jomtien.

Perhaps my driving hours exclude the late night 'rush to the gogobar' timeframe :)

Simon

Despite all the comments about bad traffic, I have never been delayed more than a few minutes whilst driving my car either from Patumanak Hill down to Pattaya, or from Pratumnak Hill down to Jomtien.

I find it hard to believe that you've never been delayed more than a few minutes heading along Pratumnak Road to 2nd Road.

Yeah, if you're talking about traversing all of Second Road, to get somewhere, then yes, hard not to be delayed. Same for coming from any direction though, including anywhere ON Second Road. Just avoiding that area at the foot of the hill from the flyover, past those back to back T junctions, BBL, KBank, VC, etc. is pretty easy though (obviously it's an issue if destination is near there).

The only time I venture into Pattaya is to visit BKK Bank on 2nd Road, (so no traffic jams cos the bank is at the bottom end of the road). Otherwise, I avoid the place like the plague. If I want to eat out etc then I head into Jomtien and never have a traffic jam problem :)

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I lived on Pratamnak Hill (Sois 6 and 5) a few years ago, and it's a great place to live, but a magnet for undesirables. It's an area that caters to the more affluent farang, and it's really close to the grimiest section of the city, so it's safe to say that it's a prime location for robberies. That being said, most houses there are higher quality than the run-of-the mill developments, and will accordingly have higher quality windows, burglar alarms and high walls. I never had a problem while living there, but I've had neighbors who have.

Farangs are always going to be the targets of burglars, especially now. If you're prudent about security, you don't flash wealth and remember to lock doors and set alarms, you won't have any issues.