Acceptable Gift

maxcherry

Gold will due. Nix the mobile - too bloody pricey for what the teenager would want.

Surely a mobile is cheaper than gold. Me I think 8,000baht for some gold is a bit pricy for a 15yo daughter of grilfriend. That is equal to 160yoyo.

<deleted> it I thnk I will stick 4K in a card. Do rightly eh!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold will due. Nix the mobile - too bloody pricey for what the teenager would want.

Surely a mobile is cheaper than gold. Me I think 8,000baht for some gold is a bit pricy for a 15yo daughter of grilfriend. That is equal to 160yoyo.

Well yeah u can get a mobile for 2-3K but she'll prob want a Nokia that does photos/video for 15k and up.

Well yeah u can get a mobile for 2-3K but she'll prob want a Nokia that does photos/video for 15k and up.

Jeez I thought european/american teenagers were bad. One of the earlier posts on here was a joke - somebody said buy her a Honda - considering they are around 30K the poster wasn't far wrong.

Forget mobiles and gold.....

You dont know her, why dont you ask her Mum, find out what she likes and then buy according to your budget.

A CD player maybe an idea.....with some cash for her to buy her fav music.

Wait till you get there and take her shopping at the local market, that way she can pick out some clothes she likes and you control the budget.

If you give her cash, seal it an envelope with a card....dont just hand her the cash...and something from 500 to a 1000 baht will be enough.

500 to a 1000baht....hey this guy wants to make a good impression here not be called "kii-niao" on his first meeting :o

You dont know her, why dont you ask her Mum, find out what she likes and then buy according to your budget.

Wait till you get there and take her shopping at the local market, that way she can pick out some clothes she likes and you control the budget.

If you give her cash, seal it an envelope with a card....dont just hand her the cash...and something from 500 to a 1000 baht will be enough.

TIGHT ARS

500 to a 1000baht....hey this guy wants to make a good impression here not be called "kii-niao" on his first meeting :o

He wants to make a good impression......he doesnt want to be known as a stupid farang with more money than sense....

She is a 15yo girl....1000 baht is more than enough....considering that a lot of the population get by on about 8000 baht a month or less.

The OP has stated he is not a rich man, so why go over the top on a first meeting because future gifts will be expected to match or better the first gift.

You cant buy affection.....if she likes him it will be for him being his self....not for the money he can spend on her.....

He wants to make a good impression......he doesnt want to be known as a stupid farang with more money than sense....

She is a 15yo girl....1000 baht is more than enough....considering that a lot of the population get by on about 8000 baht a month or less.

The OP has stated he is not a rich man, so why go over the top on a first meeting because future gifts will be expected to match or better the first gift.

You cant buy affection.....if she likes him it will be for him being his self....not for the money he can spend on her.....

Are you related to Robbie Burns by any chance??

I agree with the poster who said wait and take hr out and see what she wants.

I did the same with my sisters 15 year old sister a few years back.

I found out that she was only after something for less than 1000 baht, I was willing to spend more. You should see by her reaction what sort of price is right.

Tricky choice. I say a bit of cash could work, 1000 baht should be enough for some clothes and that, especially if she is from outside Bangkok, she should be buzzin off it and if shes calls you a kee niow make it the last present ever given to her. Give her more if you want to, and at least she can buy what she wants. Only thing about cash, always seems like a bit of a pay off rather than a nice present.

Mobiles, too pricey for the right one. Gold, maybe a nice idea, but again might cost a bit for something half decent.

Apart from being 15yr old and a girl, any hobbies she got that you could get her a present for? Anything you can get her to do with one of her interests will get you brownie points.

If she's got a computer, has she got a webcam? You know they love there MSN chat.

How much can you afford to spend on this present?

off topic:

Neeraram, concerning that thing about you being from the US, it was Narong I was thinking of! lol

Oh - maybe it is of some importance but this kid lives in a place called Prachuab which I think is about 3 hours from Bangkok - out in the sticks somewhere.

Oh and if I ask her ma here response will be(with a great smile) -

Me: will I buy this

Ma: up to you

Me: does she like this

Me: will i get this

As you can see me and mum have a great understanding - LOL

How about make up? If your coming from the UK it's easy coz they think everything from abroad is expensive and quality. And if your in Thailand, from Robinsons.

They must sell some kind of cosmetic kits that have a bit of a selection of everything. Might be the kind of thing the rest of the family wouldn't buy her so you might be the cool guy.

Plus, hard to guage costs of these things especially if it's from the UK,, so like a good present, nobody knows how much or how little you have spent.

How about make up?  If your coming from the UK it's easy coz they think everything from abroad is expensive and quality.  And if your in Thailand, from Robinsons.

They must sell some kind of cosmetic kits that have a bit of a selection of everything.  Might be the kind of thing the rest of the family wouldn't buy her so you might be the cool guy.

Plus, hard to guage costs of these things especially if it's from the UK,, so like a good present, nobody knows how much or how little you have spent.

Now this seems quite good.

Ok, with your encouragement I've got another one, soapy stuff, you know what I mean, the baskets of lavender soap, special creams, and aroma stuff things and all that, again, from the UK, get it from the Body Shop, cant go wrong, 20 quid for a big basket. Must have them in Robinsons as well.

Note of warning, watch out for the ones that have all the bits that you can only use in a bath, coz maybe only got a shower at her home?

Ok, with your encouragement I've got another one, soapy stuff, you know what I mean, the baskets of lavender soap, special creams, and aroma stuff things and all that, again, from the UK, get it from the Body Shop, cant go wrong, 20 quid for a big basket.  Must have them in Robinsons as well.

Note of warning, watch out for the ones that have all the bits that you can only use in a bath, coz maybe only got a shower at her home?

Is this getting complicated or what......just buy her the chain..... :o

How much is the max you wanna spend?

Maybe the chain is too much costwise? 100 quid for a gift to a 15 yr old your not related to? Besides, get her something pricey this time, what about next time, something more will be expected?

sorry for the double posting.

Edited by bkkmadness

How much is the max you wanna spend?

Maybe the chain is too much costwise? 100 quid for a gift to a 15 yr old your not related to?  Besides, get her something pricey this time, what about next time, something more will be expected? 

sorry for the double posting.

The good thing about the gold is that if she needs cash in the future she can cash it in and virtually get the lot back.... :o

Gold certainly a good investment, and will last longer as a present.  One thing that worries me is this 15 yr old girl walking around in the country with an expensive gold chain, might become a bit of a target.

Yeah I do think 160yoyo(8Kbaht for gold) is too much for a 15yo non relative and I would be setting a standard that I would have to match in future birthdays etc..

Gold certainly a good investment, and will last longer as a present.  One thing that worries me is this 15 yr old girl walking around in the country with an expensive gold chain, might become a bit of a target.

Yeah I do think 160yoyo(8Kbaht for gold) is too much for a 15yo non relative and I would be setting a standard that I would have to match in future birthdays etc..

1/2 BTH would be same amount you would be shelling out in a card - quite nice for a teenager opposed to smth heavy.

I did not read all the thread but just wanna add my thought. Thinking back (years and years ago) and pretend to be 15 years Thai girl again. I don't actually care what adults give to me. I was more interested in what my friend gonna give me (which could be just pretty note book, pencil case, knickers, sanrio stuff).

Then from adults, I am ok to receive gold jewelry because I know I can save it and exchange for money when I grow up even I don't like wearing gold or don't like the design, mom seem to like them though and put all my gold in safe place so I won't lose them. :D

I like it when I got money so I can buy stuff I like myself but then I live in BKK so get access to the shop is no problem.

I don't like getting clothes because adults' taste is crap in my 15-year-old's view and they end up in the bottom of the wardrobe. They can just give me money and tell me to go buy clothes.

When I was kid I like reading so anybody can buy me books/comics anytime, I am happy :o so if I like music, I would be as happy if people buy me lots of CDs, problem is I would not want duplicate one.

Nobody apart from my own parents would ever think to buy expensive stuff that need to look after or have extra expense attatch with them because they frighten that my parents will have to spend more on the present e.g. computer (cz I will want printer, scanner, softwear and all the expense it requires), CD player and the like(need to spend more on CDs), Game consoles, Mobile Phone (who will pay for line rental and phone call?).

That's just my humble opinion anyway. :D

// TK

By the way, as a quick glance, seeming that you are coming from UK make me thinking of my 15-year-old cousin (girl) who visited me in UK few months ago. We went round London, do all the tourists thing and get really tiring. She came back to life when we went to Harrods. She bought many of Harrods shopping bag. (The plastic coted fabric bag with Harrods printed on them) and said some are for her friends who gave her money to buy this specially when they knew she was coming to UK. She said it's cool, use the bag (as an extra bag from formal school bag) to carry books or P.E. stuff to school. I don't know if this is just Bangkok school girl thing or they do that in Prajuab as well.

Stationery with football stuff on is also cool. (e.g. folders with MUFC on, pencil case + pens set with Liverpool, England cap, etc.)

Ladies Purses from NEXT (need to have the brand show in the front) is also cool.

Dear old M&S biscuits is also cool :D

Bodyshop stuff is fine : cream, lotion, lip gloss but not make up. Believe it or not, bodyshop hair brush (wooden handle with bodyshop stamp on it) is also cool!

Sometime it's the stuff that seem to be normal here in UK is cool to them. :o I will add to the post if I can think of for some more.

Giving her money suggests that you dont really care. If you really haven't any bright ideas, invite her to go shopping with you (and mum too maybe) and then buy her the equivalent. Show some effort and it will be appreciated - at least by mum if noone else.