Building A House - Building Permit Needed?

I have decided to build a small house for the in-laws. They already own the land in the suburb of Bangkok and there is a small wooden house in place now, but it is time to upgrade to a concrete and brick house. Do we need to submit drawings and apply for a building permit at the local land department before starting?

Any good links for nice layouts for small (less than 1 million baht) houses?

We live in Pattaya and I drew up and printed out a 3D image of the intended house on Google Sketchup, then my partner took it to the planning department (Nong Palai) and asked the planning director to get his "brother" to do the engineering drawings... which cost us B6,000; which included the director giving planning permission. My lawyer said that would have cost at least B50,000+ if we'd done it with an architect and a lawyer = DIY but stay in the back ground, get your Thai family to do it. :)

I have decided to build a small house for the in-laws. They already own the land in the suburb of Bangkok and there is a small wooden house in place now, but it is time to upgrade to a concrete and brick house. Do we need to submit drawings and apply for a building permit at the local land department before starting?

Any good links for nice layouts for small (less than 1 million baht) houses?

Check with your local Or Bor Tor or Tessabaan if a permit is needed. If so, look at the plans they can provide. Its almost free, and application is smooth. But you, farang, stay away, if not it gets pricy :)

Here are some free house plans. One or two of the smaller houses may be of use.

http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/index.html

The drawback to these free plans are that most of the rooms are too small and designed "typical Thai style". Bathrooms, kitchens, etc., and if you want to change the plans then you need to get the foundation and structure plans redrawn and certified. one million baht will get you a house no bigger than 100 Sqm (assuming you can build for 10k/Sqm; average grade materials, local labor or better? ++

Many things to consider if you plan to live in the house and not have to fix things at great expense.

You can also find ready-to-build house plans with Structural engineer's certification designed to western standards at very reasonable costs. pm if interested.. On the other hand, if you don't mind having to correct things later on then by all means, just send the money and move in when finished.

BIG WHOOPS !!! You're building for your in-laws so disregard all of the above.

Edited by excaliber

Have to agree on the standard Thai house plans. Looks nice until you take a closer look at the dimensions, then you start wondering if you have to put in micro furniture :)

Our local district offices do full plans (proper 20+ sheet autocad plans with everything properly detailed such as footings, rebar, roof construction etc.) from a rough sketch you give them. Priced between 20 and 25K Baht, including building permit and blue house book.

Yes, the house is just for the in-laws and other than the odd Sunday afternoon I will not spend much time there. 100 m2 is plenty and I will like to get the main structure up in a hurry. AC's and the final finish can always come as a trickle later.

Thanks for the links. More are of course welcome.

Robert