Murders, Higher Wp Fees, Ridiculous Steps To Get Things Done

Somtamnication

Can a farang association help us?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want to get the Thai Gov. to pay attention to our needs the best thing to do is go on strike. Thats right....all of us for a weekend

1) close our businesses

2) no shopping for anything

3) no taxis, buses, flights etc

4) No movies, bars, clubs

5) eat in

Basically ...stay at home and don't spend any money ( what they want and respect the most ) !

If the numbers were big enough the gov. and tourists would go nuts. It would make all the papers in Thaiand and perhaps around the world.

Best of all, no one would really be breaking the Law except perhaps the ones who might get it started.

It would not work however because we have no balls... afraid to loose a little baht if we close our business....can't think of anything to do for two days at home.... etc etc...

Think about it ! Cool.... :)

Edited by ttthailand

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took early retirement, have savings, no need to work and very happy living in Thailand the way things are.

The Farangs who are griping most about the way the system in Thailand treats them, is those who are the behind the scenes real estate, business owners, working illegally and cannot meet the requirements as imposed by Immigration.

I would like to see the current rules tightened up against the free runners here, especially as Thailand seems to becoming a waste disposal unit for a large number of Western undesirables.

post-11344-1251997193_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

Holy cow! Talk about a hardened soul, Sassienie. But brushing the rest of us with the farang bank robber brush is unfair and you are guilty of thinking the Thai way. Good on you!!!!!!! You have assimilated. Fighting is futile!! Let me us know when you get your Thai passport!! lol

The issue I brought up has more to do with the "normal" farang who have left their country , came here, started a family and are trying to make ends meet without having to deal with the mountain size bureaucratic requests, xenophobic Thai media and explaining to them that Thailand is not the only country in the world.

As it is now, they have no idea who else inhabits the earth, what rights does a developed country have for their citizens, fair play (not foreplay) and clearly demonstrating basic humanity.

Nothing to do with being Walter Mittys or showing them how to be western. I see enough of the latter with hip hop students at my Thai govt. school!

How about a minimum of 5 years as a husband, then qualify for residency? You are a hard worker, support families and pay taxes. The farang is always wrong sense of mind of the police, double pricing at national parks and other recreational areas.

There are organizations and NGOs that only care about themselves and not the well being of the rest of us. A farang association (Farang Rak Thai :) ) would give most of us a voice. Attend court proceedings when a farang is wronged, go to labour office meetings, immigration, etc etc.

It is a credible idea.

How about a minimum of 5 years as a husband, then qualify for residency? You are a hard worker, support families and pay taxes.

The rules are that 3 years with a history of tax payments and you can apply for PR.

Yes and no way to pay taxes for those of us who dont need to work.

I have to say that I disagree with a basic premise that the Thais single out the foreigner for worse treatment. As far as I can tell the Thais treat each other exactly the same.

Thais I know in business have exactly the same issues with the Thai bureaucracy (obviously not for work permits, but for everything else), they scam each other and over charge each other just as much as they do foreigners.

Just this week someone moved in to a shop house unit near me, moved all her things in and set up her shop selling furniture, when the owner turned up and said she had to move out as the contract she'd signed and the 3 months deposit she'd paid had been to the previous tenant who'd pretended he was the owner and was 5 months behind on his rent.

I was talking to the Thai owner of a small construction company who told me about the suppliers overcharging, staff stealing, customers not paying, sub-quality materials being substituted, etc. that every foreigner complains about.

I was talking to a Thai car driver who was complaining that the police always decided it was the car driver's fault if a motorbike hit them even if the motorbike was 100% at fault.

A Thai friend who drives a Mercedes was complaining that when he stopped to buy fruit from the side of the road the vendor doubled the price saying, "You are obviously rich, you can pay more"

And that's just this week.

Over a month I will probably hear almost every complaint foreigners have about Thailand echoed by a Thai. (And with certain of my male friends, even the ones about the scheming women!)

So watch out that anything you claim for is genuine discrimination as if you're asking for better treatment than the Thais get you're not likely to get much joy

I have to say that I disagree with a basic premise that the Thais single out the foreigner for worse treatment. As far as I can tell the Thais treat each other exactly the same.

Thais I know in business have exactly the same issues with the Thai bureaucracy (obviously not for work permits, but for everything else), they scam each other and over charge each other just as much as they do foreigners.

Just this week someone moved in to a shop house unit near me, moved all her things in and set up her shop selling furniture, when the owner turned up and said she had to move out as the contract she'd signed and the 3 months deposit she'd paid had been to the previous tenant who'd pretended he was the owner and was 5 months behind on his rent.

I was talking to the Thai owner of a small construction company who told me about the suppliers overcharging, staff stealing, customers not paying, sub-quality materials being substituted, etc. that every foreigner complains about.

I was talking to a Thai car driver who was complaining that the police always decided it was the car driver's fault if a motorbike hit them even if the motorbike was 100% at fault.

A Thai friend who drives a Mercedes was complaining that when he stopped to buy fruit from the side of the road the vendor doubled the price saying, "You are obviously rich, you can pay more"

And that's just this week.

Over a month I will probably hear almost every complaint foreigners have about Thailand echoed by a Thai. (And with certain of my male friends, even the ones about the scheming women!)

So watch out that anything you claim for is genuine discrimination as if you're asking for better treatment than the Thais get you're not likely to get much joy

Watch out...you will likely be banned. Spreading this little nugget of truth will kill the raison d'etre for 90% of the posters on Thai Visa. George's google analytics income will drop through the floor.....

I'll take your hypothesis one step futher though. Farangs are treated with more respect and defernece than most Thai people are.

It is their country and they can do as they please.

But there is a limit to the xenophobia and bigoted attitudes that are in the press (latest one of the 90% ownership of beach land is by the bad farangs) that I am willing to accept as just life in Thailand.

The murders in Ranong, CM and other areas where if it weren't for the families of the victims, nothing would have been done.

I doubt the association can do anything about the corruption, but if the Labour Office decides to increase the wp to 10,000, an association can speak loads to this and other issues affecting us.

Unfair immigration practices, almost an impossibility to attain Thai citizenship, ridiculous hoops to jump to get anything done.

Care to add other issues than an association can help with?

:)

Seems reasonable but it assumes that Thai pooyays actually give a shit, which they don't.

Here is the Thai pooyay code:

The Thai pooyay will inherit the earth by being smarter, harder working and more exploitative than anyone else.

The Thai pooyay is the only worthwhile living being and everything else that breathes is there only for his enrichment and entertainment.

Thailand is the best place in the world so you are lucky to be here.

Thailand is the best place in the world so you have to pay through the nose to stay here.

Thailand is the best place in the world so you have to jump through whatever hoops the Thai pooyays choose if you want to stay here.

Everyone in the world knows Thailand is the best place in the world so tourists will naturally keep coming no matter what.

Thais get to do whatever they want and everyone else has to fall into line.

Thailand leads the world in most things.

The Thai gene pool is unique and everything else is inferior and/or stupid and/or fair game.

Thai culture is so subtle and complex than only Thais can understand it.

Thais are smarter than everyone else, which is why they keep winning medals in the "Maths olympiads" against Mexico, Bolivia and Kazakhstan.

Thais never enter any competition if they think they might not win.

Thais are better sportsmen than everyone else, so they win gold medals in yachting against Burma and Singapore.

Thais think only they are smart enough to know they are swindling people.

Foreigners don't mind being swindled by the charming and loveable Thais, and will either stay or keep coming back no matter what.

Foreigners are stupid and uncivilised, unlike Thais.

Foreigners are all rich and deserve to be fleeced at every opportunity.

Thai pooyays never make mistakes.

If a Thai pooyay makes a mistake, see above.

There are probably some others too but I've run out of puff. I've learned that it really doesn't pay to take living in Thailand too seriously. Just get on with life and let the kids play. Oh, and keep a hand on your wallet.

Seriously though, I have found by far the majority of Thais to be completely and genuinely nice people, but IMHO, the Thai pooyay s a piece of shit, and will willingly and knowingly damage the country so long as he can get his snout and both front trotters in the trough. The real problem in Thailand is the people who are already pooyays and the people who strive so hard to be pooyays. Most of the poor in Thailand believe that the pooyays treat them on a par with dogs, indeed I have heard Thais say that "Pooyay kit khon Jon muen ma" so often it is almost a mantra.

I saw a comment from a poster about a year ago. he said: In Europe, it's the the poor people who are shitty and the rich people who are are pleasant. In Thailand it is exactly the reverse.

Time for a nice sit down and a beer in the shade.

I'll take your hypothesis one step futher though. Farangs are treated with more respect and defernece than most Thai people are.

Not across the board, and not by all, but generally speaking that's my take on life here also... If it's all one giant illusion, it's a dam_n good one. Many of the stereotypes held by Thais are far from negative ones.

I would very roughly estimate that maybe 1% of people I meet in Thailand treat me in an unacceptable manner, make it pretty obvious they don't like farangs, wish I wasn't here etc. At least 20% really go above and beyond, and generally give you the friendly/VIP treatment (embarrassingly so at times) - the rest treat you pretty much the same. At work, shopping, dining, drinking, banking, or whenever and wherever.

I really question what the perpetual victims of life are doing so wrong - the white Anglo-Saxon ones anyway. I'm well aware that others can get quite a raw deal from Thais, though that is slowly changing for the better I think. I think their own negative outlook and perceptions of themselves eventually become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Dress to a reasonable standard, maintain a reasonable standard of hygiene, behave in a reasonable manner (and reasonable certainly doesn't exclude sanook) - and you'll generally be treated at least as well as you could reasonably expect, usually much better. Lift your game higher still, and the world's your oyster.

None of this negates what I said earlier... And a lot of the big picture issues I have with Thailand are political, bureaucratic, cultural (when used as a cop-out), legal etc. The real xenophobic/anti-competitive/nationalist stuff is in legislation/corporate policy etc, but elsewhere reverse discrimination is more the norm IMO.

Edited by guava

Not across the board, and not by all, but generally speaking that's my take on life here also... If it's all one giant illusion, it's a dam_n good one. Many of the stereotypes held by Thais are far from negative ones.

I would very roughly estimate that maybe 1% of people I meet in Thailand treat me in an unacceptable manner, make it pretty obvious they don't like farangs, wish I wasn't here etc. At least 20% really go above and beyond, and generally give you the friendly/VIP treatment (embarrassingly so at times) - the rest treat you pretty much the same. At work, shopping, dining, drinking, banking, or whenever and wherever.

I really question what the perpetual victims of life are doing so wrong - the white Anglo-Saxon ones anyway. I'm well aware that others can get quite a raw deal from Thais, though that is slowly changing for the better I think. I think their own negative outlook and perceptions of themselves eventually become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Dress to a reasonable standard, maintain a reasonable standard of hygiene, behave in a reasonable manner (and reasonable certainly doesn't exclude sanook) - and you'll generally be treated at least as well as you could reasonably expect, usually much better. Lift your game higher still, and the world's your oyster.

None of this negates what I said earlier... And a lot of the big picture issues I have with Thailand are political, bureaucratic, cultural (when used as a cop-out), legal etc. The real xenophobic/anti-competitive/nationalist stuff is in legislation/corporate policy etc, but elsewhere reverse discrimination is more the norm IMO.

Articulates my thoughts nicely. While some farangs do get a raw deal, I often wonder if the common sense-o-meter was somehow left back in farang land. If not, then I wonder how they made it through life back in farang land.

Edited by samran

Holy cow! Talk about a hardened soul, Sassienie. But brushing the rest of us with the farang bank robber brush is unfair and you are guilty of thinking the Thai way. Good on you!!!!!!! You have assimilated. Fighting is futile!! Let me us know when you get your Thai passport!! lol

The issue I brought up has more to do with the "normal" farang who have left their country , came here, started a family and are trying to make ends meet without having to deal with the mountain size bureaucratic requests, xenophobic Thai media and explaining to them that Thailand is not the only country in the world.

As it is now, they have no idea who else inhabits the earth, what rights does a developed country have for their citizens, fair play (not foreplay) and clearly demonstrating basic humanity.

Nothing to do with being Walter Mittys or showing them how to be western. I see enough of the latter with hip hop students at my Thai govt. school!

How about a minimum of 5 years as a husband, then qualify for residency? You are a hard worker, support families and pay taxes. The farang is always wrong sense of mind of the police, double pricing at national parks and other recreational areas.

There are organizations and NGOs that only care about themselves and not the well being of the rest of us. A farang association (Farang Rak Thai :) ) would give most of us a voice. Attend court proceedings when a farang is wronged, go to labour office meetings, immigration, etc etc.

It is a credible idea.

Yes it is credible. But as other posters have said unlikely to work. Loss of face, not wanting to listen to reason. Expat clubs seem to do little, they seem to have assimilated the way sassienie seems to have. Money is key in Thailand. I try to work with Thais when there are problems and try to find a middle way.

It is a credible idea.

Yes it is credible. But as other posters have said unlikely to work. Loss of face, not wanting to listen to reason. Expat clubs seem to do little, they seem to have assimilated the way sassienie seems to have. Money is key in Thailand. I try to work with Thais when there are problems and try to find a middle way.

Yes and no.

There is some assimilation to a point, but this is because we live in Thailand and try to blend in the best as possible. Most of us that move here, continue on with our lives happy and contented with very few complaints, including those at the ex-pat clubs.

Yes, money is the key to Thailand, the same as it is anywhere else in the world.

Those that wish to change their lives and move to Thailand, should first research the Immigration laws, what is required of them and financially be prepared for their term of stay here.

No point in moving to Thailand, unprepared and without enough financial resources, than expect the Thai authorities to adapt the immigration system to suit the needs of those who cannot satisfy the IMPOSED immigration rules

My advice is, if one cant hack it in Thailand, than consider residing in some other country where the law requires less resources for foreigners and perhaps you would feel more at home and welcome.

Edited by sassienie

I think that there may be a slight problem. Won't you have to get a proper work permit to do the work to organize this? You might have more to worry about than the "high" fees, because in a project like this, you really need to be within the law (as such) with all of the "i,s" dotted and the "t's" crossed.

It is a credible idea.

Yes and no.

There is some assimilation to a point, but this is because we live in Thailand and try to blend in the best as possible. Most of us that move here, continue on with our lives happy and contented with very few complaints, including those at the ex-pat clubs.

Yes, money is the key to Thailand, the same as it is anywhere else in the world.

Those that wish to change their lives and move to Thailand, should first research the Immigration laws, what is required of them and financially be prepared for their term of stay here.

No point in moving to Thailand, unprepared and without enough financial resources, than expect the Thai authorities to adapt the immigration system to suit the needs of those who cannot satisfy the IMPOSED immigration rules

My advice is, if one cant hack it in Thailand, than consider residing in some other country where the law requires less resources for foreigners and perhaps you would feel more at home and welcome.

Another take on 'if you don't like it here / can't afford it here then just go home.'

I must admit that although the idea of a Farang association is a nice idea. It would be like watching one of those grainy sepia films of those early attempts at building an aeroplane out of papaer and bolser wood. The aeroplane reaches the edge of the cliff and then plumets, crashing on the rocks of realisation.

The only foreigners that could get heavily involed would be those that have already obtained citizenship, and frankly, they wouldn't see the point .

Still, worth trying.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

It is a credible idea.

Yes and no.

Another take on 'if you don't like it here / can't afford it here then just go home.'

I must admit that although the idea of a Farang association is a nice idea. It would be like watching one of those grainy sepia films of those early attempts at building an aeroplane out of papaer and bolser wood. The aeroplane reaches the edge of the cliff and then plumets, crashing on the rocks of realisation.

The only foreigners that could get heavily involed would be those that have already obtained citizenship, and frankly, they wouldn't see the point .

Still, worth trying.

Sassienie has brought up immigration and having lots of money to live here but that is not what this thread is about. It is about having an expat organisation to assist in many areas, some examples already given by posters.

I would like to see one working but difficult to see it being effective in thailand. as I say work with the Thais. The expat clubs are businesses and not clubs. Expat clubs in the UK for example are there for their nationals and fight their corner where needed against the authoritoes. Membership fess yes; rip off fees for advice no

Articulates my thoughts nicely. While some farangs do get a raw deal, I often wonder if the common sense-o-meter was somehow left back in farang land. If not, then I wonder how they made it through life back in farang land.

Where the hel_l is farang land?

Numpty.

Sassienie has brought up immigration and having lots of money to live here but that is not what this thread is about. It is about having an expat organisation to assist in many areas, some examples already given by posters.

I would like to see one working but difficult to see it being effective in thailand. as I say work with the Thais. The expat clubs are businesses and not clubs. Expat clubs in the UK for example are there for their nationals and fight their corner where needed against the authoritoes. Membership fess yes; rip off fees for advice no

Please show me on this thread, where I have quoted having lots of money here?

I have said many times in the past that there is a need for some sort of ex-pat group that can give advice to those considering living long term here or newbies to the Kingdom to the theme of investments, employment, Thai law, property, business ownership and visas. But within the boundaries of the present laws and Immigration system, not in order to try and change it or as a mouthpiece for complaint. This would only rock the boat for the existing ex-pats living here and tip the delicate relationship, tolerance levels and hospitality our Thai hosts show towards us.

As for having lots of money, Thailand is no longer the bargain basement it used to be and one does need to be financially secure to survive here. This is fact and not egotism towards the less fortunate.

As I said previous, most of us are quite content with our lifestyles here and I personally see no reasons why foreigners would wish to stick their ore in and try to change things.

Anyone considering moving here should be financially sound, especially for those hoping to live in Thailand stressfree for the remainder of their lives or employed legally and not in a position where they need to contravene the laws in order to be able to survive in Thailand. These offenders only create situations that give the authorities more excuses for the tightening up of visa rules for those of us already living here.

Best to leave alone, matters you do not understand.

Edited by sassienie

Become a freemason in thailand,the best way to meet your man who can "get things done". I would spill the beans,but i have sworn not to tell anyone. :)

There are surely secret societies in TH, but they are more of an Asian variety than Masonic, which, I believe, is more of a western phenomenon in source.

Please show me on this thread, where I have quoted having lots of money here?

I have said many times in the past that there is a need for some sort of ex-pat group that can give advice to those considering living long term here or newbies to the Kingdom to the theme of investments, employment, Thai law, property, business ownership and visas. But within the boundaries of the present laws and Immigration system, not in order to try and change it or as a mouthpiece for complaint. This would only rock the boat for the existing ex-pats living here and tip the delicate relationship, tolerance levels and hospitality our Thai hosts show towards us.

As for having lots of money, Thailand is no longer the bargain basement it used to be and one does need to be financially secure to survive here. This is fact and not egotism towards the less fortunate.

As I said previous, most of us are quite content with our lifestyles here and I personally see no reasons why foreigners would wish to stick their ore in and try to change things.

Anyone considering moving here should be financially sound, especially for those hoping to live in Thailand stressfree for the remainder of their lives or employed legally and not in a position where they need to contravene the laws in order to be able to survive in Thailand. These offenders only create situations that give the authorities more excuses for the tightening up of visa rules for those of us already living here.

Best to leave alone, matters you do not understand.

As you can see with the bolded comments above - you quoted it even in this post.

Sticking their oar in? They were suggesting some sort of organisation to help farang. Nothing about changing things.

Rock the boat? Sounds a bit like an "I'm all right Jack" comment.

What positive ideas do you have for helping newbie expats and others?

Don't leave your brain on the plane.

Buffalo's don't need 10,000 baht to get better

That man next to your 'girlfriend' is not her brother, it is her husband

Pattaya is a craphole

If he doesn't turn the meter on, get out and get the next taxi.

Lastly, if it is too good to be true....it probably is.

The waste of time option is not there as the other negative answers speak for themselves.

The big issue here is face. It is the only thing that works with Thais and their officials. Take the case of the Burmese boy with the origami plane. With enough media behind the association's back, things get done and rather quickly.

If an association speaks for 10 farangs, it will not go anywhere. But if, for the sake of an argument, the association represents 100,000 expats, that is a very big difference and it will be heard.

As it is now, do you all honestly think that we are thought of in a positive sense by the locals and treated as respected members of their community?

With the few bad apples in the basket, we get feathered and tarred. The association could help putting out a positive picture of the rest of us, who are here because we ran away from the rat race :) .

Yes, this issue has come up before. Clearly no one has forgotten about it, at least not by the old timers on the board. So there is relevance to its existence.

'I'd never want to belong to a club that would accept me as a member'

and

100,000 members - not in our lifetime Bro. There are 66 million Thais here and they don't have a voice so what makes you think we are so special? Take up squash and vent your frustration son the squash court.

Here in Phuket we have the International Business Association of Phuket (IBAP) with monthly meetings with guest speakers on topical subjects of interest to those living &/or doing business here. The group contains many members who have been here for a long time & have their own experiences, good & bad, to pass on to newcomers. Recently two banks approached IBAP to ask if they could make a presentation & so last month Siam Commercial & Kasikorn banks had local & Bangkok representatives attend the IBAP meeting.

Feel free to check out their website http://ibap-phuket.org It is a non profit group run by volunteers who all live & do business here. Currently under consideration is the possibility to set up IBA's in other locations.

Pattaya is a craphole

Can't argue with any of those points...lol

How about a minimum of 5 years as a husband, then qualify for residency? You are a hard worker, support families and pay taxes.

The rules are that 3 years with a history of tax payments and you can apply for PR.

Just to clarify, are you saying (a) legally married to a Thai woman for 3 years, and (:) have 3 years of Tax records for that same 3 year period and then you qualify for residency?? Are you sure as I also understood it as 5 years of marriage? As I understood it it was either (a) 5 years of marriage, or (:D 3 years of work/tax records earning 800,000 baht per year. These two are separate criteria, but are you saying there is a separate category?

Please advise Samran.

Edited by barky

Just to clarify, are you saying (a) legally married to a Thai woman for 3 years, and (:) have 3 years of Tax records for that same 3 year period and then you qualify for residency?? Are you sure as I also understood it as 5 years of marriage? As I understood it it was either (a) 5 years of marriage, or (:D 3 years of work/tax records earning 800,000 baht per year. These two are separate criteria, but are you saying there is a separate category?

Please advise Samran.

Three years of tax records immediately up to the application date seems to be the key, regardless of category. While I think there is a preference for 'solid' incomes, there is room for discretion. You've probably seen it, but here is the best link around on all of this...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-G...ide-t74654.html

Pattaya is a craphole

Can't argue with any of those points...lol

Yep, agree with all those!

Associations and interest groups are the bedrock of organized society. Only when people get together, work together on a common cause can something be achieved on a scale that is of some size. I would support and join an association.

I think the main point made in response to the OP is that such organizations already exist. It would just seem that many people here want one that is focused solely on what most consider trivial or non-issues.

TH

Associations and interest groups are the bedrock of organized society. Only when people get together, work together on a common cause can something be achieved on a scale that is of some size. I would support and join an association.

I think the main point made in response to the OP is that such organizations already exist. It would just seem that many people here want one that is focused solely on what most consider trivial or non-issues.

TH

Ok, can you say what association would be suitable for my interests in thailand? I am a european living all year with my thai wife in central thailand. FCCT is obviously not suitable, maybe i overlooked one that was mentioned in this thread?

thanks, chr