Crackdown On Back-to-back Tourist Visa Applications

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long thread. Didn't read it all. I think a crackdown is good because a tourist visa should be for tourist only. But people can stay and live here in Thailand for 9 months as a tourist.

I have a friend who lived here on a triple-entry as a pure tourist. He never worked or made money here. He brought money with him and took a much needed long vacation away from the States and tried to make money online as an Internet Marketer. But he was by all means a tourist. He returned to the U.S.

I came here on a triple-entry tourist visa so I could use Bangkok as a major hub to see the rest of SE Asia and use this as a basecamp so to speak, but I met a Thai girl (don't we all) and then looked for a job so I could stay here. My employer didn't want to pay for a work visa and all the things that go along with that.

So, if you are going to rat on the people who come here to work illegally, you also need to mention the employers who are ALLOWING people to work here illegally, as well.

But I think a lot of Westerns come here to escape their country for awhile, take a long vacation (yes, more than 1-2 months for vacation!) and then met a girl and try to stay here, and may have trouble or take time in getting a work visa (Non-Imm B or O ) and they are in this 'situation'. Does it always happen like that, no. Do people mis-use Tourist visas, yes. Does everybody, no.

I am getting a M-Visa from my employer so all will be well soon enough for me. But what about many other Western guys who come here to escape or for vacation and met a Thai girl (it always happens and no one warns us! 555) and we fall into this kind of situation before we even know what is happening and what to do...

Anyways, went to Singapore, the Thai Embassy there gave me a hard time about getting a tourist visa to come back to Thailand, I had a copy of my K-Bank statement and airline ticket out of Thailand so they gave me a visa. But for those going keep in mind you are not guaranteed a tourist visa and returning to Thailand is a privilege. Make sure you take lots of evidence with you for your visa that you are not working illegally and can support yourself. I said I had a Thai girlfriend and the embassy woman said "that is personal" and not related to me getting a tourist visa. Just be smart, know what the laws are, and be nice.

Peace,

Zen.

Edited by ZenTraveler

busy with renewals to get ready for the new law...we all still might have a couple of more month where Laos is still visa friendly....fingers crossed.<br /><br />Regards<br />Block<br />

It's not 'a new law" and there is nothing to do in order to "get ready"

Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates has announced increased screening of tourist visa applicants

It's just a directive to Embassies and Consuls to scrutinize the applicants more closely. There is nothing to get ready for that. It just depends on the attitude of the officer at the time and whether he got a bit that morning ,like it's always been so they should be "in action" already.

Nobody of the average 500-1000 people applying a visa on Monday (passport back on Tuesday afternoon) have complained yet.

IF there would be a serious issue about it........the members or guests would have flood this thread like crazy.

Probably only  few of those 500-1000 have back 2 back TV's, and of those few maybe none of them are members of Thai Visa incorporated. I think it's still early days yet. Time will tell.

The rules here have been changing over the last 2 years.

Currently if you fly out and back you will get a new 30 day stamp.

At a land border it will be 15 days.

No limits, at the moment, as to how many times you can do this.

That is quite different from the subject of this thread which is about Tourist Visas issued by embassies

They have been imposing a limit of 4 x 15 days at land borders more recently.

Who said that there is a 4time limit?

Would this crackdown also apply to Tourist Visa extensions?

Has anyone extended their Tourist Visa since the crackdown announcement? Was there anything different this time?

Extension for your Tourist Visa isn't an issue at all

Edited by Ricci

Now, now, now! Whats the worst that could happen? Possibility going to another country where they aren't as crazy for a while. Now thats not so bad. Of course the nice thing about going back to your own country for a while is knowing your not going to have to leave every 30 days etc,etc,etc.

But all of us know who have been here for a while...there is always a way to beat them at their own little game. Of course maybe some of the western countries might think about doing the same thing for Thai tourists in respective countries. In the case of the U.S. for example, makem make a run into canada, or mexico, every 30 days.

And in case they can't pay for any over stay, throw them in jail like they do foreigners here, rather than pay for their flight home. Mark

Of course maybe some of the western countries might think about doing the same thing for Thai tourists in respective countries.  

Nah, Western countries don't copy Thailand. Thailand copies Western countries. This is the "Land of Xerox" after all. It starts at an early age in Kindergarten when 1 student copies the crayon drawing of a cat from the kid next to him. (Who in turn copied it from someone/somewhere else, and so on and so on and so on)

Anyway, most Western countries have more respect for human rights and safety than here, but I still love the place, warts 'n' all.

Extension for your Tourist Visa isn't an issue at all

That's because we have to pay 1900 Baht for extensions. How much are the disputed Visas themselves now? Oh yeah, free!

So tomorrow I can go to a Thai embassy in UE and ask for a free 3 entry turist Visa? i'll believe it when i see the stamp :)

I'm sure they will give free maybe only a standard Visa, one entry......

Strange using "3 entries" as an example to make a point. I just mentioned Tourist visas. No mention of how many entries. Anyway, plenty of people have got double entries" for free, myself included last April. Didn't even get to use the second entry as the first one was changed to a non B in BKK for the new job I started in May.

As for the UE (wherever that is), ask them.Your there (apparently). As far as I know they are free everywhere at the moment. I got my "free"double entry in Laos like many others. Although you may not be able to get them now. Probably just singles but who knows? If you haven't got any previous TV's in your passport then maybe you can still get a double.

Edited by tmark

Talk about getting off track from the topic. I think it is safe to say most people reading this thread are waiting to hear from someone who has actually been to Laos etc in the last couple of days, and if they have been knocked back for a TV.

So far all we have is 20 odd pages of pretty much useless &lt;deleted&gt;... Western human rights, kids copying drawings back in kindergarden, early retirements, first time TV's... DOES ANYONE HAVE SOMETHING USEFUL TO ADD..???? The suspense is killing me... :)

20 odd pages of pretty much useless &lt;deleted&gt;

Pretty much the "nature of the beast" in any internet forum. Deal with it. Even your own post was useless. Be patient, all will be revealed. Can't you just "scan" and ignore the crap? Shit ! even this post is useless. Please ignore it. Oh well, Mai pen rai! :)

Edited by tmark

Talk about getting off track from the topic. I think it is safe to say most people reading this thread are waiting to hear from someone who has actually been to Laos etc in the last couple of days, and if they have been knocked back for a TV.

So far all we have is 20 odd pages of pretty much useless &lt;deleted&gt;... Western human rights, kids copying drawings back in kindergarden, early retirements, first time TV's... DOES ANYONE HAVE SOMETHING USEFUL TO ADD..???? The suspense is killing me... :)

The suspense is killing me !

I have 7 days left of my permission to stay on a tourist visa and i want to know what my options are. Can I go to Laos and get another double entry tourist? or do i go to immigration and get a 30 day extension to give me time to sort out a trip to the UK to get a non o ? I've had 1 double entry tourist visa in the last 5 years, before that non o or extensions. But the last visa was a tourist visa - will i be refused another? Are 2 double entries back to back acceptable? 3 ? 4 ? who knows?

Does a statement by the consulate or Embassy in Helsinki actually mean anything? I'm just hoping to hear from a few people that have been to Laos for a back to back tourist visa announcing "business as usual".

It really bugs me that 7 months ago, with the regulations in place, I was able to make plans that included getting a few tourist visas because I didn't want to transfer money at a very poor exchange rate to get another year extension of my non o. This was legal and allowed me flexibility to adjust my plans.

If I didn't have an adopted family here, I would be saying "enough is enough" and I'd be moving on to pastures new. I am sick and tired of being treated as a nothing.

Did you hear about the football match between the Farang tourists and Thai immigration?

The Farang team fielded a team of 11, the Thai immigration fielded a team of 21. The Farang Captain complained to the referee "They cannot have 21 people on the field!"

The referee replied, "Of course they can - 11 to play football and 10 to move the goalposts"

From Samui forum:

Am just in Penang at the moment to get Non B Visa (successful), however friends who are here alongside many others are being rejected tourist visas. 7 in the hotel i am staying in yesterday- today not know how many- other hotels,agencies again numbers are not know. Reason being they are told that no longer can you have a 30 day extension from Thailand. This has only been implied i was told during the last 2 months.

This information is only what i have been told by the hotel and by people that have been rejected- i am sure others who have returned from Penang recently can update/advise others.

From Samui forum:

Am just in Penang at the moment to get Non B Visa (successful), however friends who are here alongside many others are being rejected tourist visas. 7 in the hotel i am staying in yesterday- today not know how many- other hotels,agencies again numbers are not know. Reason being they are told that no longer can you have a 30 day extension from Thailand. This has only been implied i was told during the last 2 months.

This information is only what i have been told by the hotel and by people that have been rejected- i am sure others who have returned from Penang recently can update/advise others.

There is nothing new in this. We have known for some time that Penang are rejecting tourist visa applications if there has been a previous extension.

As for the UE (wherever that is),

I see you only joined TV on Sunday :) ... I also can see that your not such a clever ass after all....UE stands for United Emirates...

In the space of a month April to May you changed a double entry tourist visa into a non B in BKK, did that also include a work permit?

At the moment many members want positive feedback on this thread about the back to back tourist visa issue not just replying to everybodys posts just to make your post todate count higher.

Regards

Block

Pretty much the "nature of the beast" in any internet forum. Deal with it. Even your own post was useless. Be patient, all will be revealed. Can't you just "scan" and ignore the crap? Shit ! even this post is useless. Please ignore it. Oh well, Mai pen rai! :)

This is definitely not your first nic on here...nor your last. :D

I would love to pay tax to Thailand if there was an easy way, but I don't need four employees and two million Baht in working capital (have tried that, but I spent too much of my time inventing work for my employees), and I don't need all the hassle connected with any kind of visa or permit in this country. This problem is not unique to Thailand, but it does represent a huge opportunity: If they could create a sort of haven for online workers like myself, they could gain a lot of monies earned in taxes and whatever else people spend every day. Thailand would have been a great base for any online freelancer... if they could get their act together.

Agree 100%.

I does not affect me anymore but I was thinking about establishing a company here too.

Since there are obviously two groups of people that are addressed in this thread in particular let's state some figures - maybe some food for thought for the Thai government and for the I-am-better-than-you crowd.

Let's say you are doing remote work via internet - webdesign, programming, whatever.

In Europe you charge an hourly rate of 50 Euro. This is a pretty low rate but then again you are far away from the customers.

In theory you have about 160 billable hours, in reality you generate e.g. 50% of that.

This still provides you with revenues of about 4000 Euros which is almost 200.000 Baht.

The workload is easily done by yourself. Any employee or office would be a blow of money. You just don't do that and as zakk9 said: invent work for the employees the Thai government wants you to have.

So what can you do:

1. Work illegally or in a "grey zone". Then at least you put some money into Thailand, let's say 30.000 for an apartment and 60.000 for the rest.

2. Go home or somewhere else. Benefit for Thailand: 0 Baht

2. Hope for some cleverness of some thai officials so that they grant a visa and a work permit to remote workers without having them rent an office and hire employees.

Monthly "benefit" for Thailand: Income Tax + 30.000 condo + 60.000 expenses + 5000 for the outsourcing of the needed accountancy and I guess a few more things.

After a while you hire a freelancer every now and then (who at least officially has to pay income tax from the revenue generated with you) and then MAYBE after a longer while you intend to expand and rent an office. .....

Well, this is not possible as of now but then again to make it possible would be a clever move.

Why is the government going for the zero Baht option 2 or forcing people into option 1?

In the end it's all about money.

Do the math with all the "remote workers" that are supposed to be in Thailand.

And don't tell me this is peanuts.

What is it that stops the Thai government from jumping at that opportunity?

Im living here on tourist visas (Currently on a 30 day extension on my last) and need to get a new one on the 21st, thinking of going to Phnom Pehn again.

Any news on how this is working out and whats needed extra.

I dont work, just live here and work around the world when there is a job for me (Security related) Got GF and renting house here for the last 4 years now.

Might go to Ranong for a 15 day extension, just to wait this out until some hard facts are in.

...UE stands for United Emirates...

I thought it was United Arab Emirates or UAE for short. When I read UE I figured it was used as the Italian or French abbreviation for the European Union, but it is really not clear what that poster meant.

Edited by Puccini

I thought it was United Arab Emirates or UAE for short. When I read UE I figured it was used as the Italian or French abbreviation for the European Union, but it is really not clear what that poster meant.

Well, in italian language the EU is the UE....

I've never heard of that before either, it was called the UAE when I last passed through. I will never go there again since the victimisation of airline passengers incidents a few years ago.