Crackdown On Back-to-back Tourist Visa Applications

It is easy follow the law and you have no problems.Try to get a visa for europe as Thai people and you will see were it is the most difficult.

If you work get a workpermit like in every decent country in the world and you get a 1 year renewable visa.If you are retired put 800.000 baht in a thai account and you get also the same visa.The people who complain are those who are doing monkey business and think that as foreigner all is allowed.Dont forget we are guest here no local people.

I agree !00%. they don't pay tax too. so contribute little to Thailand. good riddence

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so how does one stay if he cant qualify for some visa's, like 200,000 baht or whatever it may take? i am moving to the philippines but rather live in Thailand. i dont want to travel every 30 days.

Good ol' immig. They dont want people crossing borders so the obvious solution to many people will be to arrive and then vanish under the radar.........

Well said dbrenn & p_brownstone in previous post!!! As for tmark,

No one is picking on you, but when you start defaming the Country then move yourself to somewhere you are more happy. Don't just whinge, Go!

"It affects me, thus there must be something to blame.. right?"

So who should be doing the growing up, hmmm I wonder?

Maybe they're regretting giving the tourist visas for free now?

That's probably the reason for the "crackdown", They're not making any money out of TV's so now is the perfect opportunity for some tosser to do something that makes it appear as if he/she is doing a good job.

As soon as TV's stop being free, the "crackdown" will end, if not sooner. When are Thai governments going to move out of the pre pubescent stage and mature into adulthood? I know it's a relatively young "democracy", but WHEN?

I still wonder what the suprise is. Thai Immagration has been tightening up various rules and regs. first it was the crackdown on the 30 day visa on arrival, then they changed what you recieved on arrival weather you flew in or made a border crossing. Now they have decided to crackdown on the 60 day visa abusers.

Lets face it they donot want people working in Thailand without the proper visa and this has nothing to do with real tourist.

Has anyone been to Laos for a new Tourist Visa since this latest crackdown has been in place? I think I have read most pages of this thread but can't see if anyone has been to Laos recently. Is it business as usual up there? Thanks.

The announcement was made on Friday (11th). It's now Sunday night. Obviously there won't be any casualties until Monday morning.

This is the same old discussion again and again and again. The new rules are obviously coming because they didn't get they results they wanted with the last crackdown. I don't know who are affected by this, but I know that I am. So it's back to the drawing board. My solution will probably be to set up an office in another Asian country with simpler rules for work permits. One week here to play golf, and one week there to work. My work is in Europe and the USA, but it's done via internet, so I can be anywhere. Commuting like that means more traffic for the airlines, more pollution and less money spent in Thailand, but if that is what they want, that is what they get.

I would love to pay tax to Thailand if there was an easy way, but I don't need four employees and two million Baht in working capital (have tried that, but I spent too much of my time inventing work for my employees), and I don't need all the hassle connected with any kind of visa or permit in this country. This problem is not unique to Thailand, but it does represent a huge opportunity: If they could create a sort of haven for online workers like myself, they could gain a lot of monies earned in taxes and whatever else people spend every day. Thailand would have been a great base for any online freelancer... if they could get their act together.

Edited by zakk9

Yeah, i've been thinking the same thing...i have also learned that if you have a Non B or Ed visa, basically bought by paying a lump of cash or essentially tea money to any lawyer or person with the right connections

I think the ED visa is being abused as much as if not more than the tourist visa. At the schools I've attended, there were 'students' on education visas who would show up for a couple of hours in the mornings one or two days a week and then spend the rest of their time (afternoons, evenings and weekends) running businesses or working as teachers, models, copywriters, etc. These people were making good money and not paying tax, but escaped scrutiny as they had the more 'respectable' ED visa rather than your run-of-the-mill tourist visa.

Yeah, i've been thinking the same thing...i have also learned that if you have a Non B or Ed visa, basically bought by paying a lump of cash or essentially tea money to any lawyer or person with the right connections

I think the ED visa is being abused as much as if not more than the tourist visa. At the schools I've attended, there were 'students' on education visas who would show up for a couple of hours in the mornings one or two days a week and then spend the rest of their time (afternoons, evenings and weekends) running businesses or working as teachers, models, copywriters, etc. These people were making good money and not paying tax, but escaped scrutiny as they had the more 'respectable' ED visa rather than your run-of-the-mill tourist visa.

Here's some new for you. The requirement is 4 hours of lessons per week to stay on an ED visa. Students who turn up for a couple of hours 2 days a week are satisfying requirements. That requirement is set by the Thailand MOE.

Edited by tropo

Hi.

Wanna bet - that one is the next to be "cracked down" upon. Non-Imm-ED will then only be issued for full-time students and schools that run as obvious "visa mills" will be closed down.

After that it'll probably the non-B.

To the "i have no problems, everyone else just get the right visa" guys - YOU might be the next. Remember when they started cracking down on the border runs? Everyone said "no problem, just get tourist visas". That door is already closed now. YOUR door might be the next to be closed. Watch out - they do NOT want us here, working or not.

Best regards.....

Thanh (looking @Malaysia)

finally ! was about time. i guess in your "civilized" country you welcome illegal workers with open arms...

To my surprise I learned some of these "illegal workers" are employed by Thai schools that refuse to offer work permits. Now this I find rather difficult to understand. Of course there are many thing in LOS (Land of Scams) I don't understand.

Well said dbrenn & p_brownstone in previous post!!! As for tmark™,
When are Thai governments going to move out of the pre pubescent stage and mature into adulthood? I know it's a relatively young "democracy", but WHEN?

No one is picking on you, but when you start defaming the Country then move yourself to somewhere you are more happy. Don't just whinge, Go!

So criticizing a government is "defaming a country"? That's funny, thanks for the laugh. You must come from Communist China.

"It affects me, thus there must be something to blame.. right?"

So who should be doing the growing up, hmmm I wonder?

Usually if something is affected, there is a cause. "Cause and Effect" Stimulus and response" etc. Anyway, it doesn't affect me. I have a non b and work permit. It 'may" affect me in the future, who knows?

If you are wondering who should be doing the growing up, look in the mirror and don't try to repress people and their right to an opinion. That's what forums are for, aren't they?

Much ado about nothing????

If you work, make sure you have work permit. If you don't have one or can't get one, then don't work. Same for most other countries isn't it?

If you want to stay beyond the usual tourist entitlement of xx number of days, then apply accordingly for the correct visa. If you can't meet requirements, then perhaps try again later when you can meet the requirements. Again, same for most other countries, isn't it?

SO what is the issue??? I really don't see why some people carry on like Thailand ought ot just open its borders and let any farang in without question, regulation nor conditions. Strange.

Spot on.

Maybe it is about time that "The West" starts to implement rules similar to the ones in Thailand. I.e. Thais who arrived on tourist visas, had them legitimately converted to business visas or residency permits and have since bought land and property will be disowned and sent home. Let's see if the thousands of Dollars/Euros such Thais send to Thailand each month so their relatives in Thailand can drive Benz and live in large villas will not be missed.

After all comparing "The West" with Thailand in terms of "how difficult is it to get in" is to compare peanuts with durian..... almost everywhere in "The West" Thais have almost the same rights as native citizens once they are "in" while in Thailand you are an alien and will remain an alien regardless if you stayed two weeks or 20 years and no matter what type of visa you are on and how much tax you pay or if you are married or not. They can STILL kick you out at any time, except for the lucky VERY few that have managed to obtain citizenship (which in "The West" happens rather automatically after you have stayed legally for five years, with or without having worked/paid taxes or married). I have a Thai friend who married a Canadian guy in Thailand (!) and got a visitor's visa for Canada based on that marriage - she moved there and was immediately allowed to work (unrestricted unlike Thailand) and after only TWO years could apply for (and got!) Canadian citizenship.

I stay in Thailand for close to 9 years, not one day overstay in that time - what rights have i got? To spend my money - and that's it. I'm on a non-B but can i guarantee i will still be allowed to live here next year? Nope, i can't.

When they came for the Jews - i didn't help, i wasn't a Jew.

When they came for the Muslims, i didn't help - i wasn't a Muslim.

When they came for the Hindus, i didn't help - i wasn't a Hindu.

When they came for the Christians - i didn't help, i wasn't a Christian.

When they came for me - there was no one left to help me.

And they WILL come for YOU.

Best regards....

Thanh

Much ado about nothing????

Absolutely this announced crackdowns have gone on for years and it not exactly seems to have changed anything!

If you work, make sure you have work permit. If you don't have one or can't get one, then don't work. Same for most other countries isn't it?

Agree.

If you want to stay beyond the usual tourist entitlement of xx number of days, then apply accordingly for the correct visa. If you can't meet requirements, then perhaps try again later when you can meet the requirements. Again, same for most other countries, isn't it?

But its here the problem lays. There are no requirements for being on a tourist visa year around (except from clean shirt and trousers, with a cold watch it gets you double entry) I don’t really think any foreigner would go and apply repeatedly for tourist visa if the sign says clear and loud that we don’t issue a second visa!

The problem is in the system, but as anyone know its easier to push a problem outward than to look a bit inward. Its the Imm Department/ Government who have the authority to change this rule. Where in the world can you run over a border and stay a month longer or visit a consulate and be good for another 60 days + extension repeatedly and year after year.

SO what is the issue??? I really don't see why some people carry on like Thailand ought ot just open its borders and let any farang in without question, regulation nor conditions. Strange.

The issue is money and unclear rules. Again the problem are in their own system, the people carry on because they can. The borders are open and it let in anyone. It’s a bit ironic to blame they who legally use a system which are written on paper of the ones in authority!!

i'm glad to have a three years non-B!

Is this something new???

CS

They are quite rare.

Found it on MFA website

Three-Year Non-Immigrant Visa “B” (Business only)

Foreign citizen who wishes to visit Thailand for business purpose may apply for a three-year Non-Immigrant Visa “B”. This type of visa may be issued to businessmen for multiple-entries and is valid for 3 years. It allows holder to visit Thailand as often as required for as long as the visa remains valid and allows holder to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days during each visit. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited for holder of such visa.

Place of application

Application is to be submitted at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General in the applicant’s country of residence, or at the Royal Thai Embassy which has jurisdiction over his or her country of residence. However, Royal Thai Consulate-General headed by Honorary Consul-General is not authorized to issue this type of visa. Applicant may enquire about authorized office for visa issuance at any Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General. Information on contact details and locations of Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General is also available at www.mfa.go.th/web/10.php

Required Documentation

Applicant for a three-year Non-Immigrant Visa “B” must submit the following:

Basic documents

1. An application form completed in full and signed by applicant.

2. A passport valid for travelling to Thailand with sufficient remaining validity.

3. Two passport-sized photographs (4x6cm) taken within the previous 6 months.

Additional documents which may be requested

4. National Identity Card, Residence documentation or valid proof of identity.

5. A letter from the employer giving details of the applicant’s position, length of employment, salary and purpose of the visit(s) to Thailand. If the applicant is self-employed, he or she must provide documentation of his or her business undertaking such as business registration and details of business operation.

6. Copies of correspondence with business partners in Thailand.

7. A letter of invitation from trading or associated partners/companies in Thailand.

8. Corporate documents of associated partners/companies in Thailand such as:

- business registration and business license

- list of shareholders

- company profile

- details of business operation

- map indicating location of the company

- balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor

Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year

- value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

9. A letter of recommendation from previous employer or business associations of which the applicant is member.

Visa fee

- The fee is 10,000 Baht.

Remarks

- The required additional documents (4 – 9) may be submitted upon request.

Supplementary documents may be requested as and when necessary.

- The issuance of visa is at discretion of the consular officer.

- Visa fee is non-refundable.

Edited by PoorSucker

umm yes I am confused they give free in one hand and clamp down in the other hand. What is really true and real in Thailand? They try to encourage tourists but block them at the same time. :):D

I had a g/f who worked for a local government department. She gave me interesting insights into procedures in Thailand's administration, e.g. some bored admin fart comes up with a great idea, which is later put into regulation/law just to save face, even though the guidelines/laws are absolute rubbish. There is a reason for continuing wild swings in government policy and laws in Thailand, incl. immigration regulations. :D

Wanna bet - that one is the next to be "cracked down" upon. Non-Imm-ED will then only be issued for full-time students and schools that run as obvious "visa mills" will be closed down.

After that it'll probably the non-B.

To the "i have no problems, everyone else just get the right visa" guys - YOU might be the next. Remember when they started cracking down on the border runs? Everyone said "no problem, just get tourist visas". That door is already closed now. YOUR door might be the next to be closed. Watch out - they do NOT want us here, working or not.

Agree 100%, the guys who boast today 'I have a 3-year visa', I don't care, get sorted, etc..., will soon find out the hard way that in time there will be crackdowns on all the other visas plus major increases in requirements, e.g. doubling/tripling of sum for Non-Imm. extensions and work permits, pricey qualification courses for foreign teachers (conveniently run by extended family of immigration officers), etc. etc.

The Thais killed/damaged the golden goose of tourism due to mismanagement and political unrest and now need to fleece the expats/long-timers in order to compensate for lost income.

Maybe it is about time that "The West" starts to implement rules similar to the ones in Thailand. I.e. Thais who arrived on tourist visas, had them legitimately converted to business visas or residency permits and have since bought land and property will be disowned and sent home. Let's see if the thousands of Dollars/Euros such Thais send to Thailand each month so their relatives in Thailand can drive Benz and live in large villas will not be missed.

After all comparing "The West" with Thailand in terms of "how difficult is it to get in" is to compare peanuts with durian..... almost everywhere in "The West" Thais have almost the same rights as native citizens once they are "in" while in Thailand you are an alien and will remain an alien regardless if you stayed two weeks or 20 years and no matter what type of visa you are on and how much tax you pay or if you are married or not. They can STILL kick you out at any time, except for the lucky VERY few that have managed to obtain citizenship (which in "The West" happens rather automatically after you have stayed legally for five years, with or without having worked/paid taxes or married). I have a Thai friend who married a Canadian guy in Thailand (!) and got a visitor's visa for Canada based on that marriage - she moved there and was immediately allowed to work (unrestricted unlike Thailand) and after only TWO years could apply for (and got!) Canadian citizenship.

I stay in Thailand for close to 9 years, not one day overstay in that time - what rights have i got? To spend my money - and that's it. I'm on a non-B but can i guarantee i will still be allowed to live here next year? Nope, i can't.

When they came for the Jews - i didn't help, i wasn't a Jew.

When they came for the Muslims, i didn't help - i wasn't a Muslim.

When they came for the Hindus, i didn't help - i wasn't a Hindu.

When they came for the Christians - i didn't help, i wasn't a Christian.

When they came for me - there was no one left to help me.

And they WILL come for YOU.

Best regards....

Thanh

Jeez, bring out the tin foil hats :)

I guess everyone here agrees that it will effect them if they decide to throw all foreigners out.

Somehow i do not see it happening in near future......

Attached is an example of a Royal Thai Embassy Joint Announcement, courtesy of the embassy in Helsinki.

The announcement seems to be about neighbouring countries, so will it affect TV appl. in, say OZ or other non-Asian places?

I had a g/f who worked for a local government department. She gave me interesting insights into procedures in Thailand's administration, e.g. some bored admin fart comes up with a great idea, which is later put into regulation/law just to save face, even though the guidelines/laws are absolute rubbish. There is a reason for continuing wild swings in government policy and laws in Thailand, incl. immigration regulations. :)

This new crackdown seems to be one of those brain farts. Thailand would benefit hugely if they allowed 100 percent foreign owned small companies but no way they are going to do that. Now they make Thailand even more tourist unfriendly when tourism is way down due to recession.

Real illegal workers do not usually have funds to apply for tourist visas, they just simply overstay and risk getting caught.

OK, well it should be about now that people start to write in letting us know if they managed to get another tourist visa from a neighboring country......

By the way, what about getting a 1 year business visa for the purpose of exploring potential business in Thailand. What is required is it as full on as getting the 3 year business visa?

Thanks