Rain

gotlost

• 2 weeks later...

Its like God's onto his third big Chang and been holding it in here to the south of Chiang Mai.

Last few days have been a bit more rainy season like. Could do with three more months of it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been quiet in here but a drought does that. biggrin.png

Appears to have been a very heavy downpour. I turned right onto Suthep road from Nimmanhaemin and Suthep was quite flooded on the south side all the way up to the Canal road which was flooded on both sides of the intersection. Driving on the Canal road to Mae Hia, a lot of water on the road with lots of opportunities to hydroplane. Seemed localized as I was at Kad Suan Kaew and it just started sprinkling though fair amount of rain in Mae Hia also.

when it rains in CM now does the temperature drop noticeably particularly early in the morning and late in the evening?

When does it get really cool in CM in the morning and night?

It doesn't drop significantly.

Cool mornings typically start around November.

Its just not raining enough,last year and the year before,where the same,so the knock

on effect for next year will be dire I think,once the rainy season ends its a long period

without rain, it tells you something when the Government has had planes out trying to

make rain,IN the rainy season !

regards Worgeordie

• 2 weeks later...

I think its the Chiang Mai News that is reporting at Doi Saket the Mae Kuang Udom Thara dam is at 11.32 % capacity ,if true that is quite a frightening stat.

Don't know that area maybe someone can confirm.

I'm a total sceptic on cloud seeding,having said that is just started drizzling at Hang Dong.Unfortuantly drizzle does not provide run off

I've always found walking shortly after rain to be one of life's finer pleasures, whatever country I've been in and whether urban or rural surroundings. It gives me a feeling of being 'real' so to speak. Alive may be a better word, or perhaps grounded.

Have you tried singing and dancing in the rain?

• Like 2

I think its the Chiang Mai News that is reporting at Doi Saket the Mae Kuang Udom Thara dam is at 11.32 % capacity ,if true that is quite a frightening stat.

I'm a total sceptic on cloud seeding,having said that is just started drizzling at Hang Dong.Unfortuantly drizzle does not provide run off

TMD has Chiang Mai at only 614 mm of rain YTD. As a man said "Houston..WE have a problem" http://www.tmd.go.th/en/climate.php?FileID=1

• 2 weeks later...

TMD has Chiang Mai at only 614 mm of rain YTD. As a man said "Houston..WE have a problem" http://www.tmd.go.th/en/climate.php?FileID=1

Very interesting figures.As September is normally the heaviest rainfall month alarm bells, I hope, are ringing in the right places.

Ironically Bangkok is copping a regular daily belting. Have former colleagues who are wading to,and from,work through flooded sois.

Advanced rain predictions for CM are hardly encouraging.

Its just not raining enough,last year and the year before,where the same,so the knock

on effect for next year will be dire I think,once the rainy season ends its a long period

without rain, it tells you something when the Government has had planes out trying to

make rain,IN the rainy season !

regards Worgeordie

I suspect that cloud-seeding would only work, when there was already plenty of humidity in the air, so this might actually be a good idea right now, turning non-raining humidity into actual precipitation ?

Whatever it's clearly been a very dry year, and I'm glad that I'm not in the rice-growing business, most of our village farmers haven't even bothered to plant this summer, and our family's fish-ponds remain dry, yet the local golf-course upstream is mysteriously green & lush & verdant, funny that ! rolleyes.gif

Few drops just now at Nong Khwai (Hang Dong). I was hoping for more from the thaifun..., sorry typhoon last days, but nothing really came down. Getting worried. We draw our water from a well in the garden. Supposedly it's 80m deep (as previous owner said), but I have my doubts. How will the groundwater level be affected if it really does not get much more rain this season?

Some pictures of Ngat, yesterday, frightening to see the lack of water:

And still some people around town water the bitumen, for what reason I do not know. huh.png

Keeps the dust down.

Well actually, I do know. But what I meant was it's early morning when the longest it will last before evaporating would be an hour max? And its bitumen, hardly a dusty track we're talking about. More to the point do you think the wider community even know the water levels are critical? Or if they do know, do they care? If they don't care, why should we?

A good article to read and give you further food for for thought ,I often tell people that in certain parts that the water they get from their wells can be over a hundred years old????

HOW OLD IS YOUR WELL WATER?

This article, written by the American Ground Water Trust was originally published in THE AMERICAN WELL OWNER, 2001, Number 3]

HOW OLD IS YOUR WELL WATER?

The water you drink may be composed of the same water molecules that have been around since life started on this earth 4.6 billion years ago. We could be drinking the same water dinosaurs swam in millions of years ago. The age of ground water pumped from a well is taken to be the length of time it took to reach your well since it infiltrated the ground surface. Most drilled wells may contain water of different ages and the pump may deliver a “water cocktail” from different rock layers with the older water usually deeper in the well.

The long travel time underground, away from risks of surface contamination, is one of the reasons that most well water is fit to drink without treatment. Most home wells are likely to pump relatively “young” ground water that is less than ten years old. However, wells tapping deeper aquifers may have water that last saw the light of day many centuries ago. The following information, taken from a 1994 Trust publication* helps explain subsurface flow of ground water.

Groundwater generally moves very slowly. Rates of a foot per day are considered fast, although rates of a few feet per month are more common. It is hard to imagine these slow rates of movement when compared with the apparent fast flows from a large spring or a pumping well. However, at a well or spring, the flow of water is concentrated and may represent the net combined input from many deep bedrock fractures and recharge derived from a large area. For a given aquifer system, ground water flow rates generally increase as the water table level is raised following recharge.

Virtually all aquifers are dynamic, and flow is constantly occurring although rates of flow will vary within the aquifer with deeper water tending to move more slowly. The direction of flow within the aquifer is generally from the point of recharge to the point of discharge. These places may be some distance apart and ground water discharging into a wetland (or well) may have received most of its recharge some distance away. With slow travel times, and long travel distances, the age of ground water may be tens of years or more between recharge and discharge. Some deep confined ground water is thousands of years old and yet is still slowly on the move.

Although often spending a long time beneath the surface, ground water can respond almost immediately to recharge because the “new” water can have the effect of pushing out the “old.” Geologic structure and rock types can influence ground water flow directions but even in relatively simple geologic situations, movement does not occur in straight lines. Most ground water has curved flow paths.

[*Wetlands and Ground Water in the United States, a joint production of the Trust and the Audubon Society of New Hampshire, is available for online purchase at www.agwt.org]

[© American Ground Water Trust. This article may be reprinted for non-commercial educational purposes provided it is used in its entirety and that reference is made to its source as an article in THE AMERICAN WELL OWNER, 2001, Number 3]

Edited by sappersrest

Interesting article, thanks. So no real reason to worry. Dinosaurs died from something else :).

We get the drinking water from some of the local providers, 35B per box of 20 bottles delivered. Not worried about that. But if I could not shower, it would stink...simple as that.

• 1 month later...

Looking dark down Hang Dong Way....... anybody reporting rain or wind ?????

edit...... yea me I am reporting rain..... no sooner than I pushed the send button it started coming down .... so far, so good

Motorcycle Mamas Mascara starting to mess-up

Edited by Gonzo the Face