Beneftis Of A Marriage Visa

What, exactly, are the benefits of a Marriage Visa in Thailand?

What I know: 1. Lower income requirement

2. One year visa (every 90 day check in required)

3. Owning real estate - I do not think any thing changes - what I do know (even without a marriage visa)

A. With land purchase Thailand requires you to sign statement that states funds are from wife.

B. If married when at the land office the spouse can not change anything without your signature of agreement.

4. Accounts at a bank. With a retirement visa I have my own accounts. Anything different with a marriage visa.

What I have heard: 1) Can work with spouse without a work permit – if true, what does this really mean?

What, exactly, are the benefits of a Marriage Visa in Thailand?

What I know:

1. Lower income requirement Correct, compared to retirement extension (400,000 versus 800,000)

2. One year visa (every 90 day check in required) Correct

3. Owning real estate - I do not think any thing changes - what I do know (even without a marriage visa). Nothing changes because of your visa status

A. With land purchase Thailand requires you to sign statement that states funds are from wife. Correct, but this has to be done always when married, regardless of visa status. According to the land laws, this even has to be done when living together without being married!

B. If married when at the land office the spouse can not change anything without your signature of agreement. Wrong. She owns the property and can do with it as she pleases without your consent or signature.

4. Accounts at a bank. With a retirement visa I have my own accounts. Anything different with a marriage visa. Not that I'm aware of. The 400 K Baht can be in yor own account.

What I have heard:

1) Can work with spouse without a work permit – if true, what does this really mean? Absolutely not. Only Thai citizens can work without work permit. All others need one.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. You are talking about an extension of stay for marriage - but do not mention what you are comparing with.

1. Income requirement less than retirement - may be more than employment.

2. One year extension of stay - 90 day reports required if do not leave Thailand. All one year extensions of stay are treated this way.

3. No extension of stay allows land ownership and no extension of stay required for condo ownership.

You can not work without a work permit.

4. You can have any type of bank accounts you want - but to use for Immigration extension of stay they should be in your name only.

Non-O Visa means that you will NOT be able stay more then a single 90 day continuous period, you MUST leave the country after those 90 days. You could fly out in the morning and come back the same day and then you woudl be stamped in for another 90 days stay.

If you file for a extension based on marriage with that visa and it is granted, only then you can just check-in with the local immigration office for a 90-day address report. In that case you can technically stay inside the Kingdom for a full year without ever having to leave. :)

• 2 weeks later...

B. If married when at the land office the spouse can not change anything without your signature of agreement. Wrong. She owns the property and can do with it as she pleases without your consent or signature.

Reply:

Well, I do know that last year we wanted to use one piece of land for collateral at the Co-Op and the Land Office would not allow my wife to use the land as collateral UNTIL she had a form (from the land office) signed by me.

Reply:

Well, I do know that last year we wanted to use one piece of land for collateral at the Co-Op and the Land Office would not allow my wife to use the land as collateral UNTIL she had a form (from the land office) signed by me.

Rented? Leased land in your name?

Reply:

I also am unsure about this . I am married and built a home in Mahasarakham . September of this year I was told by the developer to be present at the Government office to receive "Chanote" for land our home was built on . I'm thinking why in hel_l am suppose to be there . Was also told to bring copies of my passport and "yellow tabien ban " . Developer/builder and my wife were at the office and sure enough I was called up to present my passport and yellow book . Then I had to sign my name on chanote along with my wife . I was told that my wife could not sell land and home without my consent if things were to go belly up . This is my personal experience .

Reply:

I also am unsure about this . I am married and built a home in Mahasarakham . September of this year I was told by the developer to be present at the Government office to receive "Chanote" for land our home was built on . I'm thinking why in hel_l am suppose to be there . Was also told to bring copies of my passport and "yellow tabien ban " . Developer/builder and my wife were at the office and sure enough I was called up to present my passport and yellow book . Then I had to sign my name on chanote along with my wife . I was told that my wife could not sell land and home without my consent if things were to go belly up . This is my personal experience .

Exactly the same thing for me at the Pattaya land office.

Cheers, Rick

The downside ... you will be married.

:) !!!

I like it. :D

Therefore your visa relates to your marital status and if thing go pear shaped, so will your visa.

Another difference with Extention 'due to married to a Thai' is the lower money MUST be either in Bank(sole account) or (your)Income. It cannot be mix and match like the Retirement visa option.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Just an educated guess:

If no house involved, then my best guess would be that when acquiring the land your wife neglected to mention that she was married to a foreigner, and hence the form stating that the land was bought with her funds only, and that the land would never be part of the marital communal property, was never signed by her. Which might be the form you had to sign when she tried to use it as collateral. his however you should know as this form is bilingual (Thai/English)

Thai persons married to foreigners ONLY are allowed to buy land with the foreigner agreeing to, and signing the above mentioned form.

If there was a lease or usufruct registered in your name and registered on the land title deed, or there is is a house build on the property owned by you, then see below.

A few things together.

Foreigners can own houses, they cannot own the land it stands on. So yes, indeed if properly registered, the owner of the land cannot sell nor mortgage the property without your consent.

Done properly the foreigner will, apart from owning the house outright, also have regstered either a lease or a usufruct, enabling him to use the land. This would indeed be registered on the land title deed (Chanoot).

Making it virtually impossible to sell the land.

However, for all of the above you do not have to be married at all! The owner of the land can be a complete strange and will have the same restrictions as your legal wife would have!

I do not believe any such arrangement is secure as the over riding law and concern is that foreigners can not own, or control, Thai land and such arrangements as lease/building ownership and such could be ruled to be in violation of that law and in effect proxy ownership at any time. Right now the coins seem to be in the air and how they land may effect a lot of people.

But that discussion really belongs in the real estate section.

I do not believe any such arrangement is secure as the over riding law and concern is that foreigners can not own, or control, Thai land and such arrangements as lease/building ownership and such could be ruled to be in violation of that law and in effect proxy ownership at any time. Right now the coins seem to be in the air and how they land may effect a lot of people.

But that discussion really belongs in the real estate section.

Very correct.

Basically to finalize the answer to the OP's question that would being married gives him more security property wise, a clear and straight no is the answer!

More detailed info to be found in several threads in the real estate section.