Tesco In Patong

patong

So does any one know whether it will be a full size like near the one near Phuket town, middle size like Rawaii and Chao Fa east, or Express like new one in Kata?

No I don't but I wish they would stop, a cartoon by Matt about a year ago makes the point well:

Excuse me officer but how do I get to the bus station? Easy Madam, walk along the high street and turn left at the Tesco, keep walking until you see the Tesco and turn right, go past the Tesco on the left , over the bridge and the station is in front of you, opposite Tesco's.

So does any one know whether it will be a full size like near the one near Phuket town, middle size like Rawaii and Chao Fa east, or Express like new one in Kata?

No I don't but I wish they would stop, a cartoon by Matt about a year ago makes the point well:

Excuse me officer but how do I get to the bus station? Easy Madam, walk along the high street and turn left at the Tesco, keep walking until you see the Tesco and turn right, go past the Tesco on the left , over the bridge and the station is in front of you, opposite Tesco's.

With 7/11's it would be worse:

Excuse me officer but how do I get to the bus station? Easy Madam, walk along the high street and turn left at the 3rd 7/11, keep walking until you see the 2nd 7/11 and turn right, go past the 7/11o on the left , over the bridge and the station is in front of you, opposite the 3rd 7/11.

7/11's are prolific of course but they tend not to take too much business away from small local businesses, new Tesco stores on the other hand often act like a small nuke for a small local shopkeepers in an x km radius. Hopefully what ever it is they are going to build behind Jungceylon will have no negative impact on Banzan market, the place is a god send.

Think you are right, just yesterday was speaking to a lady who has a interest in the land there and she said a Tesco was going to be built on it.

Now, this is supposition, but you'd think it would be a "full on" Tesco Lotus as it would want to be in competition with Carrefour and Robinsons, not to mention the other outlets in Jungceylon AND it would be hoping to capture some of the "growth' market supposedly coming from the massive number of apartments/Guesthouses being built along that road.

Hopefully there will still be a place for the Banzaan market as it does service a niche market.

Think you are right, just yesterday was speaking to a lady who has a interest in the land there and she said a Tesco was going to be built on it.

Now, this is supposition, but you'd think it would be a "full on" Tesco Lotus as it would want to be in competition with Carrefour and Robinsons, not to mention the other outlets in Jungceylon AND it would be hoping to capture some of the "growth' market supposedly coming from the massive number of apartments/Guesthouses being built along that road.

Hopefully there will still be a place for the Banzaan market as it does service a niche market.

Interesting isn't it, the "niche market" you refer to is the needs of the local indigenous population (plus some expats), something's wrong with this picture when locals are the niche! Regardless, if Tesco does begin operations there I'll give Banzaan no more than five years before it folds, sad.

Interesting isn't it, the "niche market" you refer to is the needs of the local indigenous population (plus some expats), something's wrong with this picture when locals are the niche! Regardless, if Tesco does begin operations there I'll give Banzaan no more than five years before it folds, sad.

Building a Tesco Lotus will have little impact on Bazaan given that Carrefor is already on their doorstep. I expect that Tesco will be more of an impact on Carrefor, although I will most likely continue shopping in Carrefor when in Patong.

Building a Tesco Lotus will have little impact on Bazaan given that Carrefor is already on their doorstep. I expect that Tesco will be more of an impact on Carrefor, although I will most likely continue shopping in Carrefor when in Patong.

I'd like to think that's the case and I agree that Carrefour trade is the Tesco focus, but I suspect that the addition of a Tesco store simply adds further options that shoppers will take advantage of and the negative effects will be cumulative, note what has happened elsewhere in this respect.

Baanzaan provides far better / fresher seafood and meat products and in general most types of vegetables than the major chain stores do. I always use the wet markets for that type of shopping and will continue to do so.

With carreforre covering my needs for bakery, some salad items, cold cuts, cheeses and general, and baanzaan covering veggies, domestic fruits, fish, meat, etc I personally dont see Tesco helping me. Its like both the farang higher end and the Thai domestic ends are well covered.

Baanzaan provides far better / fresher seafood and meat products and in general most types of vegetables than the major chain stores do. I always use the wet markets for that type of shopping and will continue to do so.

With carreforre covering my needs for bakery, some salad items, cold cuts, cheeses and general, and baanzaan covering veggies, domestic fruits, fish, meat, etc I personally dont see Tesco helping me. Its like both the farang higher end and the Thai domestic ends are well covered.

I agree Livinlos, i have exactly the same shopping arrangements as you, some vegies in BanZaan are often more expensive than Carrefour and sometimes visa -versa but BanZaan for sure are fresher so i buy mostly from here.

Regarding chaingmai prediction of the demise of BanZaan, i don't think so...it is mainly Thai shoppers and will continue to flourish, because of the fact it is more like the 'old style' markets that were so common on the Kata to Patong strip and many Thais prefer to buy in these places.These fresh produce markets are few and far between these days and not as cheap as ''old style'' because of increased rental costs for a site in a ''modern market''.

One good thing for us ,the customer, is if Tesco Lotus does open, the competition could force a reduction in prices in both C/four and Lotus, but

, then again pricing collusion is rampant amongst all the big players everywhere anyway, so maybe not!

The other thing is it might wake up C/four regarding having more checkouts open at busy times, its not as though staff costs are a big issue,; my wife has a friend working there and receives under 200 baht daily.

The huge profits on imported goods, and the ridiculous prices of their pre-mixed bread products alone would pay for increased staffing at the check out.They make their bread from Thai product and Thai workers wages but sell for near western prices.I guess that because only a few Thais would actually buy these products, they figure that they can sell at these inflated prices and get away with it.

As excited as I am (yes, I do have a boring social life if a trip to Carrefour is my highlight), I am thinking of the traffic impact. That back road is already busy and dodging the cars coming out of the car park at Jungceylon is scary enough as it is. Do you think someone will spring for some traffic lights? How about a stop sign? Will there be long lines of tuk tuks blocking the traffic flow?

One good thing is that it most likely bring be an Air Asia kiosk, which means no more running over to Central.

I have shopped in Banzaan and the veggies are cheaper but can be poorer quality than Carrefour......and the stench of the meat section is a no-no after a big night out!!

As for Carrefour, have to agree with the checkout situation, poor......a few months ago I spoke to the manager of the store (a Frenchman who is now overseeing the whole complex I think) regarding the slow service and lack of checkout operators, and his response was that as soon as he trained the operators, they were offered more money by other operators/stores, and promptly left. My immediate response was, well pay them more to keep them, however I think it fell on deaf ears.

Provided there is no pricing collusion, a bit of competition for Carrefour wouldn't be a bad thing, as some items are extremely expensive.

As regards my mentioning the "niche market" I was referring not to the population per se, but more the person who wishes to shop in markets like that, whether they be Thai or farang. I have never been one for these types of places and and probably never will.

I did hear from a reliable source, that at one time when Carrefour were having a special on chicken meat, that some operators in Banzaan were sending relatives into the supermarket and buying up the product big-time, for resale in Banzaan!!!!

Edited by Philnz

I have shopped in Banzaan and the veggies are cheaper but can be poorer quality than Carrefour......and the stench of the meat section is a no-no after a big night out!!

As for Carrefour, have to agree with the checkout situation, poor......a few months ago I spoke to the manager of the store (a Frenchman who is now overseeing the whole complex I think) regarding the slow service and lack of checkout operators, and his response was that as soon as he trained the operators, they were offered more money by other operators/stores, and promptly left. My immediate response was, well pay them more to keep them, however I think it fell on deaf ears.

Provided there is no pricing collusion, a bit of competition for Carrefour wouldn't be a bad thing, as some items are extremely expensive.

As regards my mentioning the "niche market" I was referring not to the population per se, but more the person who wishes to shop in markets like that, whether they be Thai or farang. I have never been one for these types of places and and probably never will.

I did hear from a reliable source, that at one time when Carrefour were having a special on chicken meat, that some operators in Banzaan were sending relatives into the supermarket and buying up the product big-time, for resale in Banzaan!!!!

I'm OK with just about all of your post but I cannot agree about the quality of vegetables, Banzaan beats Carfoooo hands down, any hour of the day, any day of the week, ask any Thai, or me.

WOE IS US....is getting harder to remember the patong back in 1987 i first saw....all the open space...its getting more like a big city there with each trip....lucky i love the place...and keep comin back...hate to have a small business nearby though...?