Building A Balcony

alimike

I live in Ban Luam, Udon Thani. I want to build a balcony off the main 1st floor bedroom.

Do I need any type of permission to do this ? Does anyone know of a good timber merchants in Udon.

Some of the timbers I will be using will be around 6inch square and maybe 6' x 2'. But in lengths of 5metres

As a by line to this thread , is soft wood available up here.

The only wood I have seen here is hard wood.

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you

Alimike

Do I need any type of permission to do this ? Some of the timbers I will be using will be around 6inch square and maybe 6' x 2'. But in lengths of 5metres, As a by line to this thread , is soft wood available up here. The only wood I have seen here is hard wood.

Alimike

No concrete (punny?) knowledge, but from my years of observing people remodeling their homes....... No permission needed, no zoning laws. I am sure you have seen people build right out to the very edge of their property line.

The real reason I am responding is because I believe you do not even want to say "soft wood" or the termites will be gathering an army and sit poised on your property line just waiting for you to finish building.

Admittedly Chiangmai is not Udon, but..... I installed a ceiling fan, attaching it to a piece of wood attached to two metal stringers above the wallboard ceiling. Absolutely no other wood up there; all concrete construction, metal stringers, and wallboard. In less that 6 months the little buggers found their way up inside a concrete pillar (yes, hollow) and across the wall board to the fan and ate the wood to the point the fan fell. We were just lucky it was in the middle of the night and only the fan got smashed.

I just removed a wooden gazebo partially because of termites and built a new one of concrete, tile, and metal railing. If you do not go that route, I heartily recommend teak or the closest substitute you can find/afford.

As 'noise' says white ants will have a field day with any softwood, it can be treated but needs doing every six months to keep it safe, best to use good hardwood.

Just a thought, if I were doing this I would consider casting concrete sow poons and then facing them with wood grain Conwood. Last for ever.

Another option which I have used successfully on my pool deck is box steel bolted on to concrete base, again it can easily be faced with Conwood to give a wood texture effect.

Do I need any type of permission to do this ? Some of the timbers I will be using will be around 6inch square and maybe 6' x 2'. But in lengths of 5metres, As a by line to this thread , is soft wood available up here. The only wood I have seen here is hard wood.

Alimike

No concrete (punny?) knowledge, but from my years of observing people remodeling their homes....... No permission needed, no zoning laws. I am sure you have seen people build right out to the very edge of their property line.

The real reason I am responding is because I believe you do not even want to say "soft wood" or the termites will be gathering an army and sit poised on your property line just waiting for you to finish building.

Admittedly Chiangmai is not Udon, but..... I installed a ceiling fan, attaching it to a piece of wood attached to two metal stringers above the wallboard ceiling. Absolutely no other wood up there; all concrete construction, metal stringers, and wallboard. In less that 6 months the little buggers found their way up inside a concrete pillar (yes, hollow) and across the wall board to the fan and ate the wood to the point the fan fell. We were just lucky it was in the middle of the night and only the fan got smashed.

I just removed a wooden gazebo partially because of termites and built a new one of concrete, tile, and metal railing. If you do not go that route, I heartily recommend teak or the closest substitute you can find/afford.

Hopefully you re-installed the fan using a steel support this time?