Movie To Be Shot Almost Entirely In Phuket

george

Movie to be shot almost entirely in Phuket

PHUKET: -- The production of the movie, the 'Invisible Waves' was launched on Saturday at Phuket’s Patong beach in front of senior representatives of Canada's Toronto International Film Festival, the Vancouver Film Festival, investors from Hong Kong and the Netherlands, and the media.

The film is to be entirely shot on location in Phuket, the director of the local Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office, Suvalai Pinpradab told TNA.

The Thai movie production company, Five Stars Production and movie makers from Hong Kong and the Netherlands have jointly invested in the film 'Invisible Waves'.

Before December’s tsunami disaster, the producers had only planned to shoot around twenty percent of the film on locations in Phuket, Mrs. Suvalai said. But now they want to film most of the movie in Phuket with a few additional scenes shot elsewhere.

Shooting the movie-making in Phuket should benefit the resort island as it will publicise the beauty of the island to Thais and foreigners alike, she said.

It will also generate several millions of baht in income for local residents, according to Mrs. Suvalai.

The production of the movie will also restore tourist confidence that Phuket is still safe, she added.

--TNA 2005-03-02

Five Star shoots tons of movies on location all round Thailand. Its the film arm of Bangkok Studios.

Don't really see what is such a big deal.

The production of the movie will also restore tourist confidence that Phuket is still safe, she added.

--TNA 2005-03-02

Ah, from such illogical non-sequiturs, I deduce its propaganda, masquerading as news...........from..........oh!.... MCOT....what a surprise.

I am glad people who need money will get some from this, but I can't help but feel a little sick as well.

I think it's potentially a great boost for Phuket - why do you feel sick?

Have you eaten some bad seafood?

I know money needs to flow back into Phuket, but I also know that when people go to make a movie based on a tragic event they are just out to make money while the wounds are still fresh. How much of this money is going back into Phuket and not some fatcat's wallet? It's one thing to make a movie over something that happen years ago but something that happen just months ago and killed over 300,000 people, sick maybe? Not even Americans have made a movie over 9/11 and you are wondering why I feel sick? :o

I am glad people who need money will get some from this, but I can't help but feel a little sick as well.

I know money needs to flow back into Phuket, but I also know that when people go to make a movie based on a tragic event they are just out to make money while the wounds are still fresh. How much of this money is going back into Phuket and not some fatcat's wallet? It's one thing to make a movie over something that happen years ago but something that happen just months ago and killed over 300,000 people, sick maybe? Not even Americans have made a movie over 9/11 and you are wondering why I feel sick? :o

You have a fair point, but who cares if some fatcat gets rich - so long as Phuket gets a share and the movie isn't in bad taste.

As for 911 - I'm sure it's only a matter of time and budget.

If they already planned to shoot the move BEFORE the tsunami. How can you be sure it must be a movie about those deadly waves.

You think the screenwriters already knew before that Phuket would be hit by a tsunami.

"Invisible waves" A Tsunami is highly visible so i think it has some other meaning.

Don't jump to conclusions too quick!

Edited by Khun Jean

Ok a fast search revealed this.

From www.fortissimofilms:

PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY COMMENCES IN ASIA ON

PEN-EK RATANARUANG’S ‘INVISIBLE WAVES’

Asano Tadanobu (Zatôichi, Ichi the Killer, Gohatto), Japan’s answer to Johnny Depp, is joined by the beautiful Gang Hye Jung (Three Extremes, Old Boy) and Maria Cordero (The Miracle Box) in INVISIBLE WAVES which will commence principal photography on February 20, 2005 in Phuket, moving on to Macau, Hong Kong and Bangkok over an eight week shoot. Directed by award-winning Pen-ek Ratanaruang (Last Life in the Universe, Monrak Transistor, 6ixtynin9), this classic thriller delves into the psychology of killers and reunites Ratanaruang with Asano who won the Best Actor award at the 2003 Venice Film Festival for Last Life in the Universe.

There will be a strong emphasis on atmosphere and visual sophistication in the production with photography by renowned cinematographer Christopher Doyle (2046, Hero, Three Extremes, The Quiet American) and costumes by celebrated Japanese fashion designer Kikuchi Takeo. The film noir thriller is written by Prabda Yoon who previously collaborated with Ratanaruang on Last Life in the Universe.

INVISIBLE WAVES is produced by Fortissimo Films’ Wouter Barendrecht & Michael J. Werner in association with Mingmongkol Sonakul of Dedicate Ltd. Focus Films (part of Andy Lau group of companies), Dong-Ho Park of CJ Entertainment and Faruk Alatan are serving as executive producers on their first Pan-Asian production with this film.

In this psycho-thriller, a hard-working chef living in Macau, Kyoji (ASANO) kills his lover and is then consumed with guilt about what he has done. To escape both his turmoil and possible arrest, he travels to Thailand only to discover that the troubles of his former life follow him. On the journey he befriends an attractive young woman, Noi (GANG HYE JUNG), but Kyoji soon discovers that his supposed friends are not to be trusted and he is in serious danger. Not only does he have to deal with battling his feelings of guilt but also the more immediate threat to his life.

Commenting on his upcoming production, Ratanaruang says, “INVISIBLE WAVES shows you who the killer is right from the opening scene. It’s not about who the murderer is but why people kill and how they live with and resolve their guilt. The killer becomes as much a victim as the person he has killed….a victim of guilt.”

Bangkok-born Pen-ek made his cinematic début with festival favorite Fun Bar Karaoke (1997). He then went on to make 6ixtynin9 which won a Special Mention at the Berlin Film Festival in 2000. His latest film, Last Life in the Universe, won the Fipresci Prize at the Bangkok Film Festival and marked the creation of the team that have once again joined forces for INVISIBLE WAVES, which is slated for a Spring 2006 release.

Shame on you guys. Why always think the worst?

Before December’s tsunami disaster, the producers had only planned to shoot around twenty percent of the film on locations in Phuket, Mrs. Suvalai said. But now they want to film most of the movie in Phuket with a few additional scenes shot elsewhere.

Shame on you guys. Why always think the worst?

Just a case of reading the title of the film and not the whole article it looks like...

You have a fair point, but who cares if some fatcat gets rich - so long as Phuket gets a share and the movie isn't in bad taste.

As for 911 - I'm sure it's only a matter of time and budget.

too right, too right :D