Thaksin Condemns Times Online For False Reporting

george

This is not just disgusting, but completely lacks responsibility.

That is how the political game is played. Your opponent opens his mouth, sticks his foot in it, and you take advantage of it. The key is not to open your mouth, but that just isn't Thaksin. He needs the limelight. There was no gain in this interview for him, other than for his ego and he did say some things that I think crossed the line.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 B for Time Online.

Time Online should be banned

Time Online should be block

Time Online should be boycott.

Exactly why? Is it for printing a story, misrepresenting someone or as someone put it "affecting the feelings" of people?

224 years old and going strong. I don't think they will worry about you boycotting them. Come to think of it, I don't think they will care of their entire Thai readership boycotts them.

As silly as your statement is, I prefer that you can express it.

I suggest you read it, you may expand your horizons a little.

Let's play Thaksin toothpaste game. It's a new form of solitaire. Never a dull moment when you're on your own and need some entertainment.

One person squeezes the tube, then the same person tries to squeeze it back in to the tube.

Suggest; don't play it on your mother's rug, and be sure to have plenty of handy wipes nearby.

:):D:D

My connexion is paying games, but there is a latent issue in this. As an example, say on the business pages one reads about the new CEO of Widget Corp. who is 'a modern thinker', the reader might,perhaps wrongly make the reverse attribution to the outgoing CEO. And there's the rub. Personally I think LM would be inappropriate, but since any Thai citizen may enter a police station and make such an allegation, it's difficult to see how such a charge will not be made.

In addition, there are in the 12 pages some very telling points [again refer back to the FEER issue in 2002]. Are we to believe Pallop now, when he claimed on live TV the exact opposite [even saying if he was entrusted with such a mission he would have been successful], or how about the 'marching to Bangkok' rhetoric, with the implicit threat that carries. There's also the rather intriguing 'we' relating to his relationship with Pua Thai but emphasising the lack of financial support.

Then there's the lottery licences [uganda. Fiji & Angola], any bells ringing?

Ultimately, as I noted some while ago, Thaksin thought, given the journalist's antipathy to Abhisit, that he had a sympathetic audience. as opposed to someone who was doing their job, and allowing the persona to shine through the rhetoric, and yes he does know the context, probably far better than many posting here [even if he did go to 'the other place'].

Regards

Thaksin has made a big mistake. He now realized he played this card too early and it backfired.

He may, or may not, have made a mistake. In any case, his opponents are not known for their strategic abilities. It does liven the debate, and any move that puts international journalism in the forefront of Thai political discussion is very welcome.

3 B for Time Online.

Already happened! And anyone reporting its contents would have to face the consequences. The Times Online headline has just been updated.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Already happened! And anyone reporting its contents would have to face the consequences. The Times Online headline has just been updated.

Not really surprising sadly. I guess now this thread will also have to be closed or deleted.

3 B for Time Online.

It is right there top story.

Oh dear oh dear. Murdoch will definitely give his editor a pay rise for this.

Thaksin has made a big mistake. He now realized he played this card too early and it backfired.

He may, or may not, have made a mistake. In any case, his opponents are not known for their strategic abilities. It does liven the debate, and any move that puts international journalism in the forefront of Thai political discussion is very welcome.

Yeah, those foreign devil farang journalists. This anti-farang sentiment will play well up north especially, which is Thaksin's only cynical remaining hope in this fiasco.

Thaksin the Cambodian.

That is how the political game is played. Your opponent opens his mouth, sticks his foot in it, and you take advantage of it. The key is not to open your mouth, but that just isn't Thaksin. He needs the limelight. There was no gain in this interview for him, other than for his ego and he did say some things that I think crossed the line.

And that is the problem with the Democrat Party - they play political games as if it were the Thailand of the early 90's while the country around them is slowly but surly collapsing into radically opposed movements, both with backing and involvement of highly politicized security forces. One needs to be blind not to see what the logical result of this will be.

Thaksin did not cross any legal line in this interview, regarding the comments about the monarchy he has said nothing that has not been repeated constantly on red stages and community radios, and nothing that could even remotely fall under lese majeste laws. Different than what many people believe - the lese majeste laws are quite clearcut. Anybody may file such cases (as figures of the democrat party have amply proven in the recent years), but it still needs proof in front of a court to be convicted.

What the dems are playing here now is a very dangerous political game of confrontation that will backfire very soon. What Thailand needs is a new consensus, not infantile political games.

And that is the problem with the Democrat Party - they play political games as if it were the Thailand of the early 90's

I didn't read the 12 pages yet but there is half a page on the times which for sure will upset everyone in Thailand

And that is the problem with the Democrat Party - they play political games as if it were the Thailand of the early 90's

I didn't read the 12 pages yet but there is half a page on the times which for sure will upset everyone in Thailand

It might be a good idea to take the time to read the transcript before commenting on the issue.

What really gets me down, time and again with these Thaksin interviews, is that he never once shows any humility or remorse, he's in total denial that the coup and hatred against him resulted from him overstepping the mark with his ethical judgement, and on that basis he will NEVER be a suitable leader, even for a scout group. In fact Thaksin will never achieve anything meaningful unless he can rule by 'my way or the highway'.

Judging from the simplistic and blatantly untrue manner in which he answers the interviewers questions one has to question this man's intelligence. Here we have a man with a PhD in an interview with a high brow UK newspaper answering as if he were on an Udon Thani community radio station - really, he takes us all for fools.

I hope these comments on the monarchy backfire, he so assiduously courts press coverage, let the press and the world know what kind of guy he really is. Personally I don't believe the anti-monarchy accusations against him but what he's saying in this interview is essentially very provocative against something that is dear to the hearts of his very supporters.

Edited by virtualtraveller

"He reiterated that he never had never spoken to the press about the monarchy"

Saying such nonsense once is bad enough, to reiterate it just plain crazy. Just read the 12 page interview and most of it is about the monarchy.

As far as the content of what he has said is concerned however, i can't see too much wrong. By coming out and accusing The Times of lying, all he is doing is drawing attention to the interview and making himself look stupid. Another Thaksin masterstroke.

he's in total denial that the coup and hatred against him resulted from him overstepping the mark with his ethical judgement

The trouble is that this was only a part, and in my view a rather small part, of what prompted the coup against Thaksin.If it was that simple he would be a completely marginalised figure rather than the most popular politician in the country.May I suggest you contemplate all the aspects of what exactly prompted the anger especially from an elite which is itself notoriously greedy, self serving and corrupt.Thaksin was certainly all these things but what enraged the elite and their middle class dupes was something far more frightening for them - the awakened Thai people and that Thaksin, irony of ironies, was the catalyst.

LOL, Yes, 'Duh'.. :) Of course EVERYONE in their right mind is offended by the short article; Heck, Thaksin himself was exceptionally upset about it.

Why do you even bother to comment without reading what the man had to say? There was the obvious political talk intended to make him look good and his opponents bad, but this was probably one of the most insightful interviews related to Thailand that I've ever seen.

Mr. Thaksin was asked clearly leading questions about the monarchy, but he defended His Majesty and the Crown Prince fiercely, patiently and politely. (While aiming arrows at the usual people that are also agitated against at every single red shirt stage event.)

Never mind if you love or loathe Thaksin, it's an interesting read.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Update:

THAKSIN'S INTERVIEW

'Times' website distorted: Thaksin

30116242-01.jpg

Embattled fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday tried to head off another major political blow by claiming the Times Online website distorted his recent comments on the Thai monarchy.

With his popularity already plunging amid Thailand's diplomatic stand-off with Cambodia, which has offered him asylum and appointed him economic adviser, Thaksin found himself on the defensive again after the Times Online published his remarks on the issue of royal succession. The Times Online report was circulated like wildfire on the Web, prompting fiery criticism and catching the Pheu Thai Party off guard.

In an urgent statement, Thaksin strongly denied calling for a reform of the monarchy or suggesting the institution's shining era was still to come as Times Online implied in its headline.

"I condemn Times Online for reporting lies and causing confusion over the matter. I want everyone to know I and my family are loyal to Their Majesties and are ready to sacrifice our lives for them," he said.

The full script of the interview was available on the Times Online website. It began with Thaksin making the generally known claims about being persecuted by "elites" close to the Royal Palace. He started making comments on royal affairs, such as the petition submitted by his supporters, Her Majesty the Queen attending the funeral of a yellow-shirt activist and royal succession only after being asked by the interviewer.

It was arguably Thaksin's most extensive public comments on royal affairs.

Although he stressed his loyalty to the monarchy and its importance to Thai society, he did strongly attack inner Palace circles and blamed their "jealousy" for his political downfall.

While he said His Majesty the King, or his successor, was the only person who could bring the Thai crisis to a close, Thaksin said he did not trust the Privy Council, which he claimed had become much too involved in the conflict to be a mediator.

A transcript showed Thaksin said: "The constitutional monarchy must be strictly abided by."

However, he said "Yes, yes" to the interviewer's question of whether a reform was needed, apparently to shore up the royal inner circles.

In his statement, Thaksin said the Times Online article was a total lie that had caused confusion, adding he had told the journalist, Richard Parry, several times the monarchy was a very sensitive issue and that the report should be as accurate as possible.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he found the Times Online article to contain many "inappropriate" parts that both Thaksin and the news website needed to clarify.

He added that government legal officials were taking a close look at the transcript, although the prime minister declined comment on whether legal action would be taken against Thaksin.

This new controversy could complicate Thaksin's plan to visit Phnom Penh this week to address Cambodian businessmen at the invitation of premier Hun Sen. In his interview, Thaksin all but ruled out exile in Cambodia, saying digital technology would allow him to help from outside the country.

"They [the Democrats] are very childish. They're afraid if I were there, my supporters would be more upbeat, because I'd be close. I'm not going to stay, I know it's too close, but I will visit from time to time," he was quoted as saying on Times Online.

"I can work [for Cambodia] online. I can work through e-mail, but I want to thank Hun Sen in person. After he announced the royal decree, I rang him to thank him, and he invited me to Cambodia.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Mr. Thaksin at his best. Selfish and arrogant statements, blaming all but still denying his own wrong doings.

Can you imagine that an ex Prime Minister of a Western country become economic advisor of a neighboring country?

Yes, of course.

With the one big difference: those politicians were not sentenced to jail in their home country :)

As far as the content of what he has said is concerned however, i can't see too much wrong. By coming out and accusing The Times of lying, all he is doing is drawing attention to the interview and making himself look stupid. Another Thaksin masterstroke.

Well, he was obviously *highly* upset about the article. You can see where he's coming from, if you do an interview as per the transcript, and someone takes stuff THAT far out of context and puts an insane, inflammatory headline on it, then a malicious distortion of the truth would indeed be a likley first response.

I think that in further comments you will see that Mr. Thaksin will stand behind the full interview and the transcript.

Distilling that article that way is an inexplicable distortion; it may have gone unnoticed at the Times headquarters, but anyone who's spent any time in Thailand at all would find it completley unacceptable, and that's putting it mildly.

Mr. Thaksin at his best. Selfish and arrogant statements, blaming all but still denying his own wrong doings.

Can you imagine that an ex Prime Minister of a Western country become economic advisor of a neighboring country?

Yes, of course.

With the one big difference: those politicians were not sentenced to jail in their home country :)

Or indeed another big difference: those politicians don't come from countries where PMs are removed by military coup, for being on a cooking show, or political activists thrown in jail for decades based on a speech they made. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is all going to fall into the divided and polticized Thai populace. One thing to think about is that there are areas where what the reds say are totally believed and government disbelieved and there are areas where what the government say are totally believed and reds totally disbelieved meaning there are areas that have been indoctrinated one way or the other. That is a very different from debate where different points are put and people come to conclusion. There are areas where anything one side says is believed regardless. Admittedly there are a few mostly urban areas where there are divergent views which are discussed but these are not the problem. The problem is an issue like this falls into an already indoctrinated sphere. Knowing quite how it will play out is impossible but another big PR game is on.

One thing I would say is that Thaksin's security issue around Thai people has just gotten a tad worse.

if you do an interview as per the transcript, and someone takes stuff THAT far out of context and puts an insane, inflammatory headline on it, then a malicious distortion of the truth would indeed be a likley first response.

Nevermind about taking stuff out of context, he said that they have lied and that he has never spoken about the Monarchy to the press.

Just for once, how about accepting that Thaksin is wrong. That hard to do?

if you do an interview as per the transcript, and someone takes stuff THAT far out of context and puts an insane, inflammatory headline on it, then a malicious distortion of the truth would indeed be a likley first response.

Nevermind about taking stuff out of context, he said that they have lied and that he has never spoken about the Monarchy to the press.

Just for once, how about accepting that Thaksin is wrong. That hard to do?

It isn't: He was wrong to call it a lie, assuming that this was indeed the exact English word he used. He should have said 'distortion' 'out of context' 'misleading', 'unacceptable'. Which was pretty much what I read in his Thai language statement; he said he "felt saddened that his words were distorted." You have to be very careful with English language press and statements in Thailand; communication depends on taking a lot of care in analyzing what someone iis really trying to say. Sadely this doesn't happen enough, on BOTH sides in the current highly polarized climate.

I find it very difficult to have a political discussion with people on both sides.

I don't think I can quote Thai language in this forum, but it's on Thaksin's Twitter messages and probably other sources as well.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is all going to fall into the divided and polticized Thai populace. One thing to think about is that there are areas where what the reds say are totally believed and government disbelieved and there are areas where what the government say are totally believed and reds totally disbelieved meaning there are areas that have been indoctrinated one way or the other. That is a very different from debate where different points are put and people come to conclusion. There are areas where anything one side says is believed regardless. Admittedly there are a few mostly urban areas where there are divergent views which are discussed but these are not the problem. The problem is an issue like this falls into an already indoctrinated sphere. Knowing quite how it will play out is impossible but another big PR game is on.

Very true; I completely agree. It's almost impossible to have a political discussion in this country except with people who already agree with you.

Thaivisa.com may even come closest to an actual discussion, even though there's a lot of polarization here as well.