Removing A Catalytic Converter

beammeup

I am wondering if I change my stock pipes that contain a catalytic converter to a set of aftermarket pipes that dont, is there some kind of penalty? I realize that it is highly unlikely here in Thailand that anyone will ever check. I would just like to know the legality of it.

Can you then tax the car?

They do an emission test each year - if your car needs a test to get the tax disc.

Its a motor bike. So as long as it passes the emissions test then no problem. This is the first year for the Catalytic converter on this model for California emissions standards. I wouldn't think the standards in Thailand are as strict as California.

Edited by beammeup

Because it generates a lot of heat. There are reports of head damage on the new bikes and a lot of gasket changes due to the heat issue. I paid a lot of money for this bike and I would like to extend its life a little. A free'er flowing exhaust will also increase the performance and sound quality.

Because it generates a lot of heat. There are reports of head damage on the new bikes and a lot of gasket changes due to the heat issue. I paid a lot of money for this bike and I would like to extend its life a little. A free'er flowing exhaust will also increase the performance and sound quality.

If the bike is new will modifying the exhaust void the warranty ??

Yes & No. It's down to the discretion of your manufacturer/dealer policy.

What bike do you have?

What bike do you have?

I have a Honda Click :):D

OK -

Can you then tax the bike

They do an emission test each year - if your bike needs a test to get the tax disc.

Of course if it is an illegal bike then none of this applies.

Hi

Have you seen some of the cars driving around????? you think they have a emission test???

I have a Honda Click :):D
All that for a Click???? Jesus, I though he had a Harley, Beemer or Ducati.

Beameup started the thread Mr. Observant. Spoonman is on the wind up. :D

So Beammeup, I'm with TongueThaied what beasty do you have?

I wanted to change my Nouvo Elegance pipe but when I asked the dealer, they said its the decibel rating that cops will get you on.

I doubt there's an emissions test here on bikes, but I cannot confirm.

Even California, one of the the strictest emissions places in the world doesn't smog bikes.

It would be nice to know what you ride.

Any engine needs a certain amount of back pressure to work well and the cat's interference is taken into consideration when the entire exhaust is designed.

Many aftermarket pipes will rob you of power because they flow too much.

I know cats have to get hot to work properly, but since the whole internal combustion process is what's making the most heat, I can't imagine a cat would make any noticeable difference in engine life.

Many race cars actually wrap or ceramic coat their exhaust headers to retain heat in pursuit of more power.

I can see excess heat reducing the life of a gasket as you are concerned with, but gaskets last a long time if properly torqued down on.

Just look at all the old bikes here with their stock exhausts, they never had a problem with their gaskets.

Even if your exhaust isn't tightened to spec, a blown exhaust gasket on a bike will cost less than $2USD and will be cheaper to just replace than you buying a new exhaust.

Considering cats have been on cars for the past 30 years and cars last 100,000+ miles easy without ever changing gaskets, I'd imagine bikes follow suit.

I think the stories you've heard must have been out of spec bikes.

IMO, I don't think you'd ever be able to know if removing the cat would be of benefit.

Just get a new pipe because you want more power (need to tune the carb though), less weight, more noise, or just a cool look.

Edited by ttakata

I wouldn't think the standards in Thailand are as strict as California.

Shows how little you know :D:D:)

LOS has one of the strictest emission requirements on bikes in the world. Only calif emission bikes pass without being moded.

New bikes have their next emmisiontest 5 years after 1st reg.

So OP, yes you can replace your can, and so far there are no emmision tests before 5 years, and no mobile roadtests on petrol vehicles (diesel ony). Keep your cat, presently needed every year after 5 years

Bib can fine you for being to loud without having dB meter. max legal fine is 1000 baht.

What bike do you have?

Its a 2010 Road King the 2009 didnt have the cat. Everything else is exactly the same.

LOS has one of the strictest emission requirements on bikes in the world. Only calif emission bikes pass without being moded.

So OP, yes you can replace your can, and so far there are no emmision tests before 5 years, and no mobile roadtests on petrol vehicles (diesel ony). Keep your cat, presently needed every year after 5 years

Bib can fine you for being to loud without having dB meter. max legal fine is 1000 baht.

Are you saying that a bike without the Cat will fail an emissions test? I find it hard to believe that if I had bought last years bike I could only ride it for 5 years. The mufflers I have are fairly quiet its just the header that I may change, or I may modify the stock header as many are doing.

I just thought I would throw in my own experience here.

All motorcycles must be inspected by an authorized inspector when it turns 5 years old. For cars it is 7 years. Both my car and bike are over 7 years old, so I have had it done it on both at the same place in my neighborhood. You get a piece of paper from the place saying it passed the inspection. You need to bring that paper along with your proof of insurance and the book so you can renew your plates once a year.

I was told by the inspector that any safety or emission component that the vehicle was originally equipped with cannot be removed or disabled. So think mirrors and the cat here, but I imagine that if your vehicle was not originally equipped with a cat then you have nothing to worry about. The vehicle is tested for both emissions and noise levels at both idle and at speed. My guess was about 3,000 rpm while in neutral. I have no idea of what the acceptable levels are, only that my vehicles passed. Other things that were tested included the headlight(s) including high beam, running lights, turn signals, brake light(s), horn, and the windshield wipers for my car. I assume the man also checked to make sure I hadn't removed the seat belts. I can't remember what else he may have looked for or checked. I cost 60 baht for the bike and 150 baht for the car. Make sure you bring the book as the serial numbers are checked.

I would also imagine that you can probably find a disreputable place that will pass you for the right price, but I have no direct knowledge of that. I have also heard that some people have removed the cat, but kept it so they could just reinstall it for the test and then take it off again.

As far as the police go, I would not even venture a guess as to what one may or may not try to do to separate the driver/rider from his money.

Hi

This bike is from 2001 i have only showed the bike 2 times in the last 3 years to get a new tag, i have a office there do all my car and bike renew every year, they get my book and copy of engine and frame number. This bike was showed with the pipe you see and they are a bit loud,, no problem at all

post-27591-1258519088_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDRIDER

Hi

This bike is from 2001 i have only showed the bike 2 times in the last 3 years to get a new tag, i have a office there do all my car and bike renew every year, they get my book and copy of engine and frame number. This bike was showed with the pipe you see and they are a bit loud,, no problem at all

They choose to pass it. Not sure they can continue this for years. Due to international environment egreements LOS has to increase control of emmision.

When you say no problem at all with noise, you just havent met the right Bib in bkk yet. I used to meet some with my Over-exhaust bike. This exhaust also triggered a few car alarms.

Are you saying that a bike without the Cat will fail an emissions test? I find it hard to believe that if I had bought last years bike I could only ride it for 5 years. The mufflers I have are fairly quiet its just the header that I may change, or I may modify the stock header as many are doing.

Yes, any 2009 or 2010 big bike without egr and cat will fail legal emissiontest. A lot of bikes have been moded for emmisiontest and registration only, and then taken the mods off again. Mods like egr, cat, glasswool in can, aircompressor blending exhaust, reduced fuelsupply etc.

I m planning on removing egr and cat on my2010 Ninja 650, but will have to keep the stuff for future inspections. Presently it only takes a few hundred baht to pass a somchai inspection, but Im afraid thats not gonna work in the future.

OK -

Can you then tax the bike

They do an emission test each year - if your bike needs a test to get the tax disc.

Of course if it is an illegal bike then none of this applies.

I took mine off my bike a while ago, still can tax it and passes the emissions test no probs