Siam Commercial Bank -- Is This A Worrisome Trend?

Is anyone else seeing declining service at Siam Commercial Bank in recent months?

I'm wondering if something is happening there.

In five years at SCB, I've always had superb service ... until just recently.

Perhaps should move my account somewhere else?

This post is not another routine complaint about Thai service levels, so details of exactly what happened aren't relevant.

Rather, I have observed a clear and distinct decline at two branches of SCB in Chiangmai.

It's so bad that I'm worried.

It anyone else noticing any changes at SCB elsewhere?

Or is it just random variation?

Thank you for any observations about SCB.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Yes. Very bad. Last time I went into my branch (Bangkok) there was one guy manning the counters, he was obviously a manager of some kind. He took one look at the bundle of notes I wanted to deposit, swore at me in Thai, and angrily gave the money to a lady on one of the help desks, who was already serving 2 people. By the time I had been serviced there were about 20 people behind me. Being Thai, they seemed to accept all of this as normal. Which, I suppose, one could say is mostly true.

Also I might add the reason I was in there was because nobody is emptying the deposit machines, which seem to be always out of order. Some have been removed altogether.

Edited by stolidfeline

sorry to go against the tide on this one, but I regularly use SCB in Sukhumvit soi 11 and in the village of Selaphum in Isaan,

Recently I had ATM card to be replaced and the service in soi 11 was fast and efficient, even though I expected problems because of a change in passport.

I have been with SCB for 14 years ans it is still OK with me.

I have had an account with them since 1990, and think that their service is a lot better now han a few years ago, and definitely better than 5, 10 or more years ago.

There have been times when not eveything has gone perfect, but I have chosen to put it down to a bad day rather than the norm..

Have banked with SCB for over 10 yrs. This year service is far worse than it has ever been. Many of my Thai friends have noticed it too. I wonder if it is because they are being set high targets for bringing in income to the bank.

One of the reasons must be that they are moving their staff around faster than a game of musical chairs. As soon as anyone becomes even half competent they are moved somewhere else. Another thing is that they are often trying to sell you something.

At the moment I find BKK Bank much more competent.

I am also referring to Chiang Mai SCB so maybe the problem is more Chiang Mai based.

When I first moved to Thailand I chose SCB but quickly changed to Bank of Asia as it was Western owned. I changed because SCB was incompetant and corrupt. A few quick examples: I would deposit a check and they would credit it to the account of the issuer instead of me. I would go in to the branch on business and the manager would pester me by trying to sell me a house, volunteering to set up a fake company with a nominee, etc. Bank of Asia was great while it lasted. Thaksin changed the law to force them to sell to his friends from Singapore UOB. I am still with UOB, its better than the Thai banks. The staff dont always know what they are doing but at least they are friendly and try to be helpful. After ten years observing this issue of banks I have come to the conclusion that about 90% of the service level stems from the quality of the branch manager. A good manager, a good branch. Bad manager, bad branch. There is also another point to choosing your branch carefully: if you have a credit card, any purchase you make is routed first through the branch's computers then forwarded on to the bank's central compuer. If your branch is in an area where the phone lines are bad or there are frequent power outages, this is why your card wont go through when you try to buy something. I would dump SCB as something is definately not right there, UNLESS you have a great manager who runs a good shop, then stay. But it sounds like you dont so I would check out UOB. If everything goes south in Thailand I think the Singaporeans will make good on their deposits to save face.

Been with SCB for 4 years now and I visit the branch here only maybe once a month and use the ATMs often and EasyNet two or three times a day.

Service for me is always good from each of the services I use.

No problems with them from the 2 branches that I normally use. Very friendly service (even with the fake smiles though). From what I can see, the tellers work pretty dam_n hard there as they handle a lot of customers each day. They are likely underpaid and overworked so I would presume that they aren't the most friendly at each branch. Compared to the banks back home, they are much easier to deal with here in my view.

I use the branch at Tukcom here in Pattaya and the girls there are still GREAT, despite working in a crowded branch, with long hours, seven days a week

I was really annoyed when SCB management did not jump at the opportunity to enlarge the branch when a shop became available next door. This branch must have one of the most effective cost to service ratio of any bank branch in Thailand

I hate using my "home" branch since they are so arrogant. Wanted to replace a soon to break ATM card there and they wanted 500 THB to replace the card but reduced that to 100 THB when I pointed out that the card clearly stated that it was the PROPERTY OF SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK and not mine :)

I swop SCB at Central Rama III to KTB after they overcharged me on international transfer and their only response was "I don't know" and "Not our problem". Also quite happy with KRUNGSRI which I use to pay the bills although the staff is a bit incompetent and has to consult manager with all issues.

Overall I would recommend KTB in R III - good manager and good service with smile ... which is not common these days.

I love those cute girls in the purple uniforms

On topics which I start -- such as this one --I appreciate any motivation to mention my favorite feature of the ThaiVisa forum: the Ignore User function.

"Ignore User" has increased my enjoyment of using ThaiVisa, because it eliminates posters who are off-topic or irrelevant.

ALL posts from ignored users are eliminated on my screen.

Complete instructions are on my profile page.

Now I shall follow those instructions for 'JimmyTheMook'.

And I hope he will do the same for me.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Back office service is okay for me. But front office cashiering drives me nuts.

Today, in the SCB Central Festival branch, Phuket, I paid 3 monthly utility bills. Bills for TOT, CAT and TTT.

How long did it take the cashier to process a total of 968 baht, split between 3 bills? An incredible 20 minutes!

............and not one milisecond of eye contact either.

A more worrisome trend. We look upon financial institutions as if they were extended family.

Absolutely correct , as well as looking upon them as an extension of the service industry.

They are nothing other than money making institutions looking to maximise profit. The last thing they want is for their customers to make money at their expense. It's a fine line of profit and customer satisfaction.

The past year SCB have given me numerous bits of info. that has proved to be incorrect. This has caused me time and money.

If the employees don't know, then they should say they don't know but that has not been the case.

Unfortunately for them I am not the type of customer who can be fobbed off with a big stuffed panda bear, electric kettle or furry dice for the car. :)

Great service but sometimes a bit too friendly (like calling you Khun + your nickname instead of first name, just because they hear some other customer in the bank using your nickname; or on another occasion, 'good thing you got here early to deposit this check, another few customers and the check writer will have depleted his available funds').

Central Pattaya branch, Beach Road (right before Walking Street), Seacon Square (both branches), Ladprao 111, and Hua Mark (Kasemrad Hospital). Of those, Ladprao 111 is tops, probably because they are a main business center for Thai exporters in the area.

:)

Edited by Heng

As said it often is a case of management. I have not had pleasant dealings with the Latpaho 111 branch with excessive waits while one person manned the counter (but have only used twice). It is also the 'walk up the stairs to our higher status so you can beg a favor from us' type building which seems to be a trademark among the old line banks - there branch in Lotus, Bankapi has been much better. Have same lousy service from Chok Chai 4 main branch. Have much better service from shopping center branch offices as a general rule (that covers at least 4 that I have used recently).

But it is the same with Bangkok Bank - some places are good and some are bad. But it is a lot better today than it was a few decades ago - push and shove and never a smile.

Oneman, I think you're right about the SCB service but my opinion on this is that they expanded so fast the last few years (there seemed to be a branch opening every week around here), that they've had to move all their good staff to the new branches. I live in a little town with only a T intersection but we have an SCB bank. That leaves nothing but new staff at the older branches with no one to properly train them. They'll eventually catch on.

Overall, I think it's as competent a bank as any others I've had Bank of Ayuttaya (long gone), Bangkok Bank, and Thai Farmers and am happy with their internet banking.